• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[NSW] Hunter Valley Smash - Back in business!

I LAG

Smash Lord
i think i <3 hunter tourneys

Japanese Style Tournament. Each player chooses one character upon registration, and cannot change throughout the day.

^^ prevents all these liams and tobys CPing snake and mk against me <.<

S.D

Smash Master
I think that is a horrible idea.

No offense Andrew.

Takes away way too much depth and variety, and if your character is hard countered by someone elses you have literally no options.

Lets try to be original in our own unique way without deviating too much from standard competitive formats.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
If you could only use 1 character I would have to use MK. I agree with everyone else 1 character wouldn't be as good.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Although you know my feelings, I'll reiterate them here for the sake of discussion.

I like the idea of 1, 2 and 3. I'm not so fond of 4, but I'll happily give it a go.

Combination of 1-3 would be good, with some variation. Japanese-style Round-Robin, seeding into US-style Double Elim? I'm thinking 2 pools (lots of matches, but not so many that you get so mentally and physically worn out before the bracket even starts), and a top-12 bracket (better for PR discussion than top-8, I assume, but not a pointlessly large amount like last time). IMO that's not TOO far out there, but also time- and (human) energy-efficient.

I can see Japanese-style being favoured by players who normally stick to one character and rarely deviate (Zero, iLag, myself, etc.) but not players who play lots of characters (S.D, Scoot, etc.). Of course natural hard countering is a problem, but if you're playing a large pool then the effect of that is somewhat nullified.

Custom stages is an interesting idea. I'd like to try out the ones in that Midwest thread in some "serious" matches, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of suddenly introducing them to the tournament formula. Perhaps add them as counterpicks only to give them a test drive before officially deciding CP/Neutral?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Japanese-style wouldn't really work well with Swiss, natural countering would skew it too much. But Swiss by itself is a great idea, don't know why nobody ever does it anymore.

S.D

Smash Master
Yeah 1 character sucks.

Also round robin sucks. That was like the worst tourney ever. So many matches that were for nothing.

The only decent and fair way to do a round robin is if the person who finishes on top is the winner. It's technically the best system as you play everyone and whoever winds up on top is legitimately the best against the entire player pool. However this takes out so many aspects of bracket play that make things interesting, including finals, that it just isn't viable.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
some crazy zany ideas going on in here, so I thought I'd add my own.

how about some sort of swiss round robin hybrid, and for each new round you have to pick a character according to that rounds theme.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
i think i <3 hunter tourneys

Japanese Style Tournament. Each player chooses one character upon registration, and cannot change throughout the day.

^^ prevents all these liams and tobys CPing snake and mk against me <.<
ive been discussing the japanese ruleset with a few people here, and havent heard this before. they just seem to have a very different stage selection than us.

i am going to a mini-tourney (don't know what that means exactly) on sunday, so ill be sure to keep you all updated.

oh, and you main mk, so you cant be counterpicked. just sayin'

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Maybe if there wasn't a huge number of people. everyone could play each other in 2 matches like pools but then the top 4 players go onto the finals. So there are actually finals. Like 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. That way like SD said you have the players who are the best against the most people.

Edit: Also I like Luke's idea of the themed matches. Although it does give a disadvantage to people like ILAG who only know how to play Meta *****. But I think thats OK.

tkls

Smash Apprentice
i think most people have more than 1 character they can play well as, and a couple that they can at least play competently as. please correct me if i am wrong. i think themed rounds could be a lot of fun and very different.

Zero

Smash Hero
Maybe if there wasn't a huge number of people. everyone could play each other in 2 matches like pools but then the top 4 players go onto the finals. So there are actually finals. Like 1st vs 4th and 2nd vs 3rd. That way like SD said you have the players who are the best against the most people.

Edit: Also I like Luke's idea of the themed matches. Although it does give a disadvantage to people like ILAG who only know how to play Meta *****. But I think thats OK.
I suggested this, but in a SF style top 8 bracket.

I feel I should give some justification as to why I think the 1 char + round robin is a viable setup. Having the pool locked to one character in the pool self-nullifies the hard counter issue because, well, you would have been hard countered regardless. The lock would be removed for the 4/8 man bracket.

Themed battles sound cool. Categories I can think of are: Swords, Projectiles, Female, C tier, Melee, umm. Falcon dittos. It would have to be generated randomly each match, but I think it would be fun for a small non-serious pools or bracket.

swordsaint

Smash Master
The only thing that a 1 character tournament will do, is force everyone to use their mains. The one person who I think will suffer the most is Tedeth IMO. Since he uses Wolf and Wario in different situations.

A one character tournament should be tried out though. If there was one thing I learnt by going all Falco at Boost, is that you learn a helluva lot more than you would by not facing difficult matchups. And I think (S.D) that you having to go all Diddy, and be forced in to facing everyones Snakes (Canberra joke here) would probably show you a lot faster how to get around your problem.

Zero

Smash Hero
I do agree with you Scott, but as a TO, I'm obliged to make people happy when they come to these things. So at this rate, I don't think I could host it. It would take someone much more stubborn than me to keep it with this sort of reaction. I do think it should be tried, but maybe later, after the series is more established.

As for the round robin, I'm now thinking that a two pool split, with the Top 4 from each pool coming together into a bracket, would be fun.

J-Birds

Smash Lord
I am opposed to the one character rule.

Maybe if I used a good character I would like it :S
Nooooooo all you need is one you just have to believe in that tiny turtle friend of yours. Don't fight to win, fight for him.

S.D

Smash Master
I do agree with you Scott, but as a TO, I'm obliged to make people happy when they come to these things. So at this rate, I don't think I could host it. It would take someone much more stubborn than me to keep it with this sort of reaction. I do think it should be tried, but maybe later, after the series is more established.

As for the round robin, I'm now thinking that a two pool split, with the Top 4 from each pool coming together into a bracket, would be fun.
Ooh like East and West conference in the NBA. I approve.

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
Round Robin is good, cause that way we get to face everyone... it sucks if you get knocked out staright away and don't get to play again for like 5 hrs... I agree with having a round robin, as long as it moves quickly this time ^_^

Not sure bout the 1 char thing though... it could be intersting, but where's the variety?

if we do have 1 char, i propose we all pick Ganon

Manly tourney is manly

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
Round Robin is -not- good.

I don't want to play N-1 (N = number of entrants) SETS.

I'm very happy for quick DE brackets so I can only play like a max 6 sets <3.
Yes... but you and Tedeth are guarenteed to win most of the matches, so you don't have to worry about it... that's why you don;t really like it...

But for someone just getting into the scene its awefully boring sitting there for 5 hrs straight. HV Tourney number two didnt have a Round Robin and I got eliminated staright away and was stuck there for god knows how long.... i even went home and got my DS and brought it back there and played it until the final....

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
Jazz, ima call you a sook here.

ask people for friendlies, problemo solved
I sat back and thought about that when I finished typing and lol'd at myself for it, lol :laugh:

But it's just a conflict of opinions, really... I'd rather lose after facing everyone in some good matches against different people with different skills and strategies, and so on.... then lose after one match and that's it... it's kinda depressing if ya know what I'm getting at... :(

Anyway, are we expecting a larger turn out than the last two? Are you planning on the same hall Zero? Are my questions bombarding you with their irrelavance?

swordsaint

Smash Master
jazz, ask different people for friendlies, you'll rarely get anyone say no

ask Power Ranked people between matches or when they lose, etc

dont just play whoever else is knocked out

Jazz77vivi

Smash Journeyman
jazz, ask different people for friendlies, you'll rarely get anyone say no

ask Power Ranked people between matches or when they lose, etc

dont just play whoever else is knocked out

Last time I played with the Amateur League people after a while, when their thing ended... :p

I actually won some matches then XD

Top Bottom