• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Number One In Santa Destroy - Travis Touchdown Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Man. If they made a NMH3 where Travis has to go around Santa Destroy taking out a league of assassins made up entirely of mall Santas, I'd play that in a heartbeat. Couldn't have less personality than the NMH2 bosses o3o

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Awesome picture I hope he pushes hard to get Travis in. I'm a big fan of Suda seeing as how he loves Nintendo so much lol. I'm also hoping for a NMH3 for the Wii U the minigames would be so boss all played on the Wii U pad.

Omega-Smasher

Smash Cadet
I have played both No More Heroes and Desperate Struggle, so you could count me in. Though his chances of appearing are a bit slim (Being in a violent game, also developed by Suda 51), I am personally in full support of getting Travis into the game. I prefer the Glastonbury as his Final Smash, and I would love Henry Cooldown jumping in as an Assist. Oh, and for a song, I absolutely NEED Philistine (U.S Version). The motel is perfect for the stage, but then again, that's about it. Anyway, I hope someone found this useful.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm completely surprised that Sniper didn't revive this thread.

What do you know?

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I have played both No More Heroes and Desperate Struggle, so you could count me in. Though his chances of appearing are a bit slim (Being in a violent game, also developed by Suda 51), I am personally in full support of getting Travis into the game. I prefer the Glastonbury as his Final Smash, and I would love Henry Cooldown jumping in as an Assist. Oh, and for a song, I absolutely NEED Philistine (U.S Version). The motel is perfect for the stage, but then again, that's about it. Anyway, I hope someone found this useful.
Personally, I wish for Henry to be playable and imagine Shinobu as the Assist T. Philistine would be a cool song but needs to be censored or have the lyrics changed. NMH does actuallya full plethora of songs to be used. Maybe a boss from there, perhaps Jasper in his giant float form.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Slight revival, but I was wondering about Mr. Touchdown... can anyone actually think of specials that they'd be happy with? Most of his in-game attacks are just slashing, jumping and slashing, and throws... all of which would be likely handled via standard attacks and normal throws.

I don't think there'd be a problem with finding snarky things for Travis to say that don't involve swearing. Mostly, I just want to hear him yell "Strawberry on the shortcake!"

I absolutely love this song from the first game, Pleather for Breakfast. Super creepy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TX9o6uZnEs

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
3 words: DO NOT WANT

Sorry.

Totally fair. :p I can understand that. He is from a video game that I felt the need to pause whenever somebody walked by my room. Unless it was in the middle of a cutscene... then I'd practically want to throw a blanket over the screen.

All the same, he is from a Nintendo-first series, the maker has voiced interest in Travis getting in, and he is a viable Mature-title character. Besides, he wields at least one beam katana.

All the same, I always felt like I'd enjoy his character a lot more if the game makers were forced to make him more rated T anyway. He'd still be clever and juvenile but not quite as embarrassingly so... I think he'd be fun in Smash, once they trim away his excessive Travis-ness.

Here's one moveset that someone did.
http://browse.deviantart.com/art/SSB4-moves-Travis-Touchdown-267145072

Looking around, I do like the concept of seeing the Death Blow arrows appearing for his attacks. I think I'd just have it be a purely aesthetic thing, like when he's charging an up+Smash you'd see an arrow pointing up in front of him.

Specials-wise, I'd probably end up throwing on his Dark Side Mode powers in.

Up: SCHPELTIGER III
He summons a smaller version of his bike and does a jump with it and then jumps off of it at the top of its arc. The bike nose dives downward and crashes when it hits the stage, hurting enemies around it.

Side: BLUEBERRY CHEESE BROWNIE
He unleashes a destructive orb in the direction indicated that moves slowly but has a nice punch (just tapping being a sideways shot)

Neutral: STRAWBERRY ON THE SHORTCAKE
His hair starts glowing yellow and his beam katana starts glowing. The next time he pushes a direction (any direction, not just sideways), he will leap in that direction quickly and slash at the first thing he hits. Hitting one of the attack buttons will just make him jump forward.

Down: GOOSEBERRY SUGAR DONUT
A chargeable move in both the air and on the ground. At the end of the charge, he spins with his sword, releasing a slow wave of pink energy to each side of him. Without charging it, he just spins with his sword.
Final Smash: CRANBERRY CHOCOLATE SUNDAE (No More Heroes 2 version)
Travis starts laughing maniacally, then suddenly the screen flashes white momentarily. When the screen clears, there is a tiger where Travis was standing. For the next 20 seconds... he goes completely nuts on enemies.

Alternately, SUPER MODE (No More Heroes 2)
For the next 15 seconds, Travis goes into Super mode where his speed is greatly increased, he gets unlimited second jumps, invincibility, and most importantly his attacks can all be comboed into one another. All in all, he becomes a blurred storm of destruction

Alternately, GLASTONBURY (No More Heroes 2)
In NMH2, he summons his giant mech for one of the boss fights. He could do it again for a Final Smash for sure. I imagine him landing in the background and launching a bunch of lasers at the stage and swinging his beam guitar katanas. Controls similarly to Snake's FS, with a cursor indicating what's being targeted and then with B for laser shots and A for a katana swing.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I was considering that his FS could be a random Dark Side Mode power, or be selected via some kind of slot like in the game.

RODO

Smash Ace
There has probably already been a thread for Travis but it wasn't on the first 2 pages so here is a new one :p. I feel like Travis would be a unique addition to the roster as he has an interesting moveset. There are 2 main reasons that I see him having a better shot than most other 3rd party characters.

1. Suda was involved with SSBB development.
2. Suda has stated that he wants Travis in the next Smash.

Not only would Suda allow for him to be in the game, but since he helped out with SSBB then Sakurai is likely to be aware of this. Thoughts?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There has probably already been a thread for Travis but it wasn't on the first 2 pages so here is a new one :p.
Lol, you're better off the bumping the old one, actually. :p

Duplicate threads are not allowed.

RODO

Smash Ace
Lol, you're better off the bumping the old one, actually. :p

Duplicate threads are not allowed.
It might just be old enough to not matter. Considering it's on the 3rd page or lower it was either very old or became irrelevant quickly. I like my chances

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Well if we're going on the basis that they helped with Brawl, Namco would probably get a character first because they are helping on the new one, even though they aren't getting special treatment.

Plus I overall just doubt this.

RODO

Smash Ace
Well if we're going on the basis that they helped with Brawl, Namco would probably get a character first because they are helping on the new one, even though they aren't getting special treatment.

Plus I overall just doubt this.
Obviously Namco would be first in line, but I feel like people are underestimating his chances. He's much more likely than most of the characters wanted on this board

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I gotta disagree here. If he is less likely than a Namco rep, he's hardly likely at all at this point. Sakurai even said he would be restricting 3rd party characters, and that he, "doesn't add just any character from another company".

RODO

Smash Ace
I gotta disagree here. If he is less likely than a Namco rep, he's hardly likely at all at this point. Sakurai even said he would be restricting 3rd party characters, and that he, "doesn't add just any character from another company".
Then none of the characters anyone wants other than Pacman are very likely

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Then none of the characters anyone wants other than Pacman are very likely
Well that's my point in regards to third parties. There really aren't that many popular 3rd party characters outside of a very small few.

RODO

Smash Ace
Even though I agree with both of you, the point is that there is at least some kind of chance for Travis based on what I said in the OP. Whether or not you feel that he is likely I would say that, other than a few Namco characters (even though we all know it's going to be Pacman), he is MUCH more likely than some of the third party characters that some are pulling for. It's not like I came in hear clamoring for Master Chief, give me a break guys :p

@tomic

Smash Apprentice
No More Heroes is technically 3rd party, but the franchise is largely associated with Nintendo platforms (certainly more so than Pac-Man). Still have my fingers crossed for a third game on Wii U.

Don't think it'll happen, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it did. I'd certainly love to see him. He'd make an awesome character.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Travis holds a lot of potential because of his diversity of aggressive tactics. Technically speaking he only has the beam katana's, but with wrestling moves paired with a large set of his aggressive tactics (as mentioned prior in this forum [Why u guys no mention Ecstasy?]). On top of that, NMH has a very well known soundtracks like Philistine and Pleather for Breakfast. Additional options for good soundtracks are about as diverse as Travis can be, going from songs like Titanium Batt to Elephant Buster to Stop Hating DJ's to We are Finally Cowboys to well, take your pick. I can really see Travis as a very possible character for the Smash Bro's series complete with stage(s) a unique move set and soundtracks too. His own games give more than enough potential for his basis of move sets along with how he grabs, throws and defends himself. The recharge (if chosen to be done) could simply be a b-down or basic b.
Glad to see Suda wants Travis in Smash Bros with Snake and Mario. I'd just love to here the conversation on Snake's codec about him XD

PS-On a side note, out of all of Suda's main characters and games, Travis is personally the smartest choice considering the others Suda has also made

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Naruto will be in the game before Travis. I mean, I like him and all, but what niche is he going to fill in for the Smashverse? Besides, a PG version of Travis would be ****...

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
Naruto will be in the game before Travis. I mean, I like him and all, but what niche is he going to fill in for the Smashverse? Besides, a PG version of Travis would be ****...
Naruto...? Why not any of the cast from Bleach, One Piece or Death Note while you're at it? How about Hetalia? Lucky Star? Full Metal Alchemist? Full Metal Panic? Ghost in a Shell?

There's a lot of anime's that are pretty popular. If characters are added simply for the fact that their anime's are popular, it doesn't seem likely to be a good enough reason to be put in. Take every character ever in the Smash Bros series. They're all connected to both popular games and SOME being connected to anime's. For example... Mother/EarthBound vs Pokémon. The same can be said about Metal Gear vs Sonic, or R.O.B. vs Kirby. Popularity alone is not enough to justify an anime base character into a game like Smash Bros.
Travis however comes with games, therefore it does make sense that he'd have a likelier chance of getting in than Naruto.

PK-Omelette

Smash Journeyman
It was a joke, man. I'm just saying that the likelihood is pretty low, even if it would be awesome.
Even if low it's still a chance! Then again, Mewtwo was meant to be in brawl but got dropped for some reason. Who knows if Travis makes it or not? When it comes to Project M however, I REALLY hope they put him in, but you're right, there's no guarantee and the chances aren't high :/

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

Technically, Smash is PG-13 (Rated T for Teen). Travis definitely isn't super likely, though... I guess he's not even Nintendo exclusive anymore. Niche-wise, though, he'd fill the "oddly competant otaku warrior" niche. :p

I think a toned down Travis would be fine, his over-the-top character would still show through. He's only excessively vulgar in cut-scenes, so the only thing that'd really be toned down is the artery-bursting level of violence. And I think that's fine.

But, yeah, when all's said and done... this isn't a "I think Travis should and could be in Smash!" thread so much as a "what if? Let's imagine it" thread.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
If only I can see this character in Smash I will be so hype that even it will be compared when Sakurai decides to reveal Ridley XD.
.n_n.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
But the gameplay mechanics aren't that great.
The boss fights in NMH were like Punch Out in 3D with swords. Not that great, my arse!

Also, bumping this with a simple thought...

Why does Ubisoft have a trophy in SSB4 but no rep? If it was going to be anyone, I'd have figured Rayman, but since he's a trophy...

It could just be that they're including trophies from other third parties for some odd reason (really, though, WHY?), but I'd say it should raise suspicion for an Ubi rep...

And let's be honest, how many Japanese reps does Ubi have?

Hmmm...

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
His Final Smash should be him being thrown out of the window by Jasper Batt Jr. and then knocking out everyone while rage quitting.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Personally, I think Travis Touchdown would be far better off in Soul Calibur than Super Smash Bros. [Shrugs] But that is just me.

I tried playing No More Heroes once, but it just wasn't for me. The stages were fun, and the combat system was unique and engaging, and the boss battles were fairly unique, but what I really did not like about the game was the world map. It just reminded me too much of Grand Theft Auto, which I hate with a passion. I would have liked the game better if you started with a set number of continues, and after clearing the first level you would immediately advance to the next, and so on--as opposed to driving around some deadbeat town, doing boring, repetitive side jobs. [Shrugs] That, and a little Zelda: Twilight Princess-esque motorbike combat would have been nice.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'd say no to Travis. Why?
It's been said before, but two main reasons:
  1. He isn't a 'legendary' video game icon. Mario, Sonic, Pac-man, Mega Man, Travis Touchdown... see? One simply doesn't belong. He isn't as recognizable as people would like to think, and there isn't sense in putting him in simply because he has been on Nintendo consoles. Third parties need the star quality, or they simply won't catch Sakurai's eye.
  2. His personality would have to be toned down to a point where he isn't Travis anymore. Without swearing, decapitations, and fountains of blood, it simply would't feel like the Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes. And what's the point of adding a character if you can't do them or their game justice? I felt the same way about Snake. Without his arsenal of guns and his gritty attitude, he just didn't feel like Snake; it felt like some hollow, watered-down shell of Snake that was put in the game just for the sake of doing it.
Basically what I'm saying is that there would be no purpose in putting him in. He does not belong on a Smash Bros roster. Yes, they could make him work, but... why even bother? He would be portrayed in a way that does not bring him or his series any justice, which would likely disappoint fans of his series - which, by the way, isn't very many people in the grand scheme of things, as he isn't exactly an icon of gaming.
The only reasons to add him would be because he has been on Nintendo consoles, and because the creator has expressed interest in his inclusion. But these reasons don't exactly hold water. Sakurai has said time and time again that he won't add just any old third party fighter: they have to be in a league of their own.

In sum, I feel like he's simply too niche and too hard to do in a way that works. The reasons against his inclusion definitely outweigh the few reasons for it. I do not think his inclusion is a very good idea, nor is it likely.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I like travis as a character.I want him in more than characters like toad or Chrous kids.However his likely is silm to none.That's sad but it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom