• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Obama's speech was simply inspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Honestly, I did not like the guy prior to now. I agreed on very few of his plans (although I did not really keep myself up to date on Obama), and he didn't appeal to me in the slightest.

But I decided to watch the final day of the Democratic convention. The atmosphere portrayed on television was breath taking. To produce such an atmosphere means you have to at least be a genuine candidate, if even just in character. The fact that the children of Coretta Scott and Martin Luther King Jr. came to the convention and gave elequent speeches made it apparent to a pessimistic person such as myself how significant the event was. The atmosphere did not show just a major event, it showed a cultural movement.

Then Obama gave his speech. The fact that good outward apperence is second-hand nature to a politician should not be a surprise to an intelligent viewer. His personal views and his plans for the country if he were to be elected aside, he made it quite clear that he wants the USA to acheive prosperity in that speech. During this speech, he simply inspired you to take a better interest in the US; you could say, he restored some of my faith as an American.

Now I am not completely sold on Obama, but that speech inspired me to delve deeper into both candidates and take a more proactive involvement in this election.

Did the speech give you a sense of feeling similar to mine?

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
well let's hope these "outlooks" will be as he says, if not, we can expect another 4 years of the last 8 years at least form John McCain that is.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
A politician gave a great speech. That's pretty much all I see it as.

He can say he's all for change all he wants, but until he gets in the office, we won't see it. That being said, I won't vote for him nor McCain.

Ilex

Smash Ace
He may be a great speaker, but there's more to politicians than just that. He sure can inspire, I'll give him that.

I'm rooting for McCain so in 4 years when he's done, Hillary can run for office without Obama in the way this time. It probably won't happen that way, but I like neither Obama nor McCain so it's the only thing I can root for.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Of course there's more to a politician than that, but at least you might as well have your politicians be madly charismatic. We haven't even had that as of late.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
He can say he's all for change all he wants, but until he gets in the office, we won't see it. That being said, I won't vote for him nor McCain.
Be glad you live in a country where voting isn't compulsory then. We have to take a side :urg:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Be glad you live in a country where voting isn't compulsory then. We have to take a side :urg:
If you don't like the main two, vote for all the independents first and leave the two big shots to absolute last.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
unless everyone thinks that and many votes don't happen to change anything.

Amide

Smash Lord
Remember that one vote isn't going to change anything.
Sort of true, because one person can influence many others, which begins a long line of votes because of one person. Also, you don't really have the right to complain if you don't vote.

M.K

Level 55
Obama is trash. I'm sorry, he is absoulute bottom of the barrel trash. None of his policies are actually realistic. Most of the stuff he puts out is just empty words. He is the EPITOME of an idiot.
I will be voting for John McCain.

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Lots of the people voting for Obama are misinformed. As much as I hate to say it, they guy is going to be our next president, mostly because he gets all the attention in the media, he's young, and EXTREMELY charismatic.

That being said, 4 years of Obama will screw the U.S. up worse than G.B. ever did.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I don't know why people think Obama could be worse than Bush. That's just ridiculous.

At the least, Obama will invest in alternative energy, science, and technology (Bush's terms have been a horrible time for science in the United States), and will push for civil rights (an account on which Bush also fails). Obama will certainly do a better job of handling the situation in the mid-east, and the whole "war on terrorism", which Bush has completely botched. I think anyone who believes Bush did a good job in the mid-east and in the "war on terror" is quite simply mistaken; I'm not sure how anybody can believe he's done a good job in that area.

As for the economy, health care, and tax reform, that is up for debate; I can't say Obama will do well in all those areas, though Bush has done far worse than Obama could. I strongly disagree with Obama's health care plan and tax reforms. That, in my opinion, is terrible. But Obama will also be better for education and funding for education, an area that has stagnated and worsened over Bush's terms (and McCain doesn't look like he'll do any better).

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Lots of the people voting for Obama are misinformed. As much as I hate to say it, they guy is going to be our next president, mostly because he gets all the attention in the media, he's young, and EXTREMELY charismatic.

That being said, 4 years of Obama will screw the U.S. up worse than G.B. ever did.
You're undermining the racism of present day America.

M.K

Level 55
I don't know why people think Obama could be worse than Bush. That's just ridiculous.

At the least, Obama will invest in alternative energy, science, and technology (Bush's terms have been a horrible time for science in the United States), and will push for civil rights (an account on which Bush also fails). Obama will certainly do a better job of handling the situation in the mid-east, and the whole "war on terrorism", which Bush has completely botched. I think anyone who believes Bush did a good job in the mid-east and in the "war on terror" is quite simply mistaken; I'm not sure how anybody can believe he's done a good job in that area.

As for the economy, health care, and tax reform, that is up for debate; I can't say Obama will do well in all those areas, though Bush has done far worse than Obama could. I strongly disagree with Obama's health care plan and tax reforms. That, in my opinion, is terrible. But Obama will also be better for education and funding for education, an area that has stagnated and worsened over Bush's terms (and McCain doesn't look like he'll do any better).
Just because he SAYS he will do them, that doesn't mean he will accomplish them. Where is he going to get the money for this so called alternative energy? Oh yeah.....US! The TAXPAYERS. We will pay all the money.
Did you know that ON TOP of the already crippling gas prices, Obama wanted to impose a 10% tax on it? Did you know? I don't think so, Obama voters are SO misinformed. All they see is the (hate to say it) Black Charismatic new guy that doesn't know JACK SQUAT about how to operate as the man in charge.
McCain's vice president has held her position as governor of Alaska for MORE time than Obama has been a senator, yet OBAMA critisizes HER for being "inexperienced". Obama wasn't even ELECTED as a Senator. The man who held the position freaking DIED and THAT is how Obama got elected.

Obama is a ****** who will say ANYTHING to land his *** in office. He will do NOTHING good for America, and the only pleasure I will ever get in seeing him in office is when everyone starts panicking because he FAILS at everything.
To quote a popular saying:

I hope you join me in Canada when Obama is elected.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Did you know that ON TOP of the already crippling gas prices, Obama wanted to impose a 10% tax on it? Did you know? I don't think so, Obama voters are SO misinformed.
He probably didn't know that because it's not true. He never said anything like that.

McCain's vice president has held her position as governor of Alaska for MORE time than Obama has been a senator, yet OBAMA critisizes HER for being "inexperienced".
Wrong, Obama assumed office as senator January 5, 2005. Palin became governor December 4th, 2006. And Obama only said she had no foreign policy experience.

Obama wasn't even ELECTED as a Senator. The man who held the position freaking DIED and THAT is how Obama got elected.
Really? Becuase last I checked, Peter Fitzgerald was still alive. He resigned, which caused the open election. Obama won the race against Alan Keyes by over 70%.

Obama voters are SO misinformed.
Ahahahaha

Aleol

Smash Journeyman

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I love how people hear the word taxes and immediately disregard everything else. Obama is proposing taxing the rich and businesses more heavily. There is little that is going to change tax-wise for the average middle-class family. But, no, instead we get, "omg, he's raising taxes! vote mccain."

Look what happened with Bush. All of these tax cuts (primarily on the rich) cut the supply of money to the government, yet all Bush did was spend a ridiculous amount of money on a very questionable war. Now, our economy is shot, the value of the dollar has dropped dramatically, and we're way over our heads in debt. Where has this left the average American? Stuck. The housing market has crashed. Gas/oil prices are over $3/gallon. Not a great situation by any stretch of the imagination. So what does McCain want to do? More tax cuts, off-shore drilling to temporarily appease the oil problem, and continue this war until God knows when.

Insanity can be defined as repeating something over and over and expecting different results. Everyone is good to bash Bush, but vote for a liberal even though McCain is just an extension of the Bush presidency? Never. People are afraid of change. Afraid of the phrase "raising taxes." I understand it's "your hard-earned money," but guess what? We belong to a country all of the time, not just when it's convenient. Sure we can take things from the government, but fund them? Hell no.

America is in a bad state right now. We're not getting out of it by doing more of the same.

I don't even like Obama, he's too much talk, but there's no way I'd ever vote McCain

(Sorry if that's too off-topic, but whatever.)

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
Now, our economy is shot, the value of the dollar has dropped dramatically, and we're way over our heads in debt. Where has this left the average American? Stuck. The housing market has crashed. Gas/oil prices are over $3/gallon. Not a great situation by any stretch of the imagination.
...And surely, all of that is 100% Bush's fault.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Obama's speech seemed to stir up alot of emotion and that's about it, but didn't like his speech, and whenever he told a story about himself it concentrated on other family members, rather than himself. He also seemed to like to rant alot about how bad other political enemy's are, alot...which seemed tastless...but the abscence of him chanting yes we can for a couple minutes was an interesting change...or did miss that part?
But, if you liked that speech, thats fine, I noticed there were people that did.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Obama's speech seemed to stir up alot of emotion and that's about it, but didn't like his speech,
Well, that's your opinion

and whenever he told a story about himself it concentrated on other family members, rather than himself.
So it's bad because he's not self centered? O_o

He also seemed to like to rant alot about how bad other political enemy's are, alot...which seemed tastless...
Likes to rant? He's doesn't even do much mudslinging compared to previous candidates. Oh sure, but when the McCain does mudslinging, it's okay.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I love how people hear the word taxes and immediately disregard everything else. Obama is proposing taxing the rich and businesses more heavily. There is little that is going to change tax-wise for the average middle-class family. But, no, instead we get, "omg, he's raising taxes! vote mccain."

Look what happened with Bush. All of these tax cuts (primarily on the rich) cut the supply of money to the government, yet all Bush did was spend a ridiculous amount of money on a very questionable war. Now, our economy is shot, the value of the dollar has dropped dramatically, and we're way over our heads in debt. Where has this left the average American? Stuck. The housing market has crashed. Gas/oil prices are over $3/gallon. Not a great situation by any stretch of the imagination. So what does McCain want to do? More tax cuts, off-shore drilling to temporarily appease the oil problem, and continue this war until God knows when.

Insanity can be defined as repeating something over and over and expecting different results. Everyone is good to bash Bush, but vote for a liberal even though McCain is just an extension of the Bush presidency? Never. People are afraid of change. Afraid of the phrase "raising taxes." I understand it's "your hard-earned money," but guess what? We belong to a country all of the time, not just when it's convenient. Sure we can take things from the government, but fund them? Hell no.

America is in a bad state right now. We're not getting out of it by doing more of the same.

I don't even like Obama, he's too much talk, but there's no way I'd ever vote McCain

(Sorry if that's too off-topic, but whatever.)
I think insanity is truly that America falls for the same **** from both parties. Everytime.

I wouldn't vote for any of them.

Edit: I would take a guess that GreenKirby is a college student somewhere on the North East (or at least north of VA) or West Coast just based on his views but maybe I am wrong. =p

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Well, that's your opinion

So it's bad because he's not self centered? O_o

Likes to rant? He's doesn't even do much mudslinging compared to previous candidates. Oh sure, but when the McCain does mudslinging, it's okay.
The observers seemed to become pretty emotional during his speech, it was just my observation...no, but I would like to hear his story when he claimed it was his story, as far as heard, it was his grandparents and his mothers story for the most part...and there was just so much of it, and, of course McCan mudslinging cannot be seen as something ok if Barack Obama mudslinging is seen as a wrong.
Mudslingers only lose ground.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
I think insanity is truly that America falls for the same **** from both parties. Everytime.

Edit: I would take a guess that GreenKirby is a college student somewhere on the North East (or at least north of VA) or West Coast just based on his views but maybe I am wrong. =p
yeah, talk is cheap. every election, politicians say what people want to hear, and people fall for it everytime.

I wouldn't vote Obama, but I like Biden, so I may as well vote for him instead of throwing my vote away on a 3rd party, as sad as that statement is.

And I don't know about GreenKirby, but I'm a college student in the North East :p

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, I can't vote (being under 18, which kinda sucks), but I support this guy for several reasons:

1: Bush drove America into a ditch: Practically every issue today, you can easily get away with saying "Bush sent our (blank) into a ditch" and be right. He drove our economy into a ditch with budget cuts to the wealthy, and is trying to get money from the middle class (a horrible source), compounding this with spending on a ****ing war that we can't win. ON with that, we can't win Iraq, McCain says we can, but there is no "victory" to be gained by staying there, only the increase in blood spilled or a loss of dignity with a retreat, and preferably, I don't care if we look bad by retreating, we should stop losing lives for a pointless issue. Our national security has also gotten worse, as our occupation in Iraq has raised, not lower, the amount of people who want to kill us, strained our alliances, and left a city drowning in water. With that, our climate, while not in a ditch, is going there, as Bush has focused more on getting cheap oil than an alternate fuel that doesn't run out or heat up our planet, even though this guy made Texas greener, he didn't apply that to the national scale.
2: McCain, no longer the Maverick: In 2000, McCain was definitely not the typical Republican, but 8 years later, he surrendered to his own party. He plans to continue Bush the lost president's tactics to every problem, and it won't help us much at all! We're continuing an 8 year failure that we hate, and we are already into a ditch, do we want to dig our graves in it?
3: Can we get something different for once?: Obama doesn't have the same experience that McCain had, and while that may sound bad, that means he won't make the same mistakes as him. Here's an example from real life we should all know: Miyamoto. He had no experience as a video game developer, he was a story writer, so he took a totally different approach to making his first game. The professional makers made a really bad game, and nearly killed Video Games in it's infancy, Miyamoto, taking a different approach, made a game with a hero that all of us know full well and saved the thing we all signed up here for, Miyamoto made Mario, and saved the Video game industry. Obama is not as experienced as other politicians, who sent our country into a ditch, so maybe he has a chance.
4: He doesn't need to throw **** to win: If you see most McCain commercials, they're all attack ads, some twisting words and botching reality to win (Abolish tax cuts, where do you think they went to in the first place?). What's worse, they're working. Obama has been reduced to employing a similar tactic just to get back on track (especially since Clinton supporters are pissed since he Chose Biden as his running mate), but he is using more than this. He is spreading hope, and promising change, and right now, we need some, FAST!

Note: Yes, I am a liberal ready to go democrat, but I only see one party failing us. Congress needs to have a majority to pass a bill, and a larger majority to override a veto. Democrats only have a slight majority, which translates to trying to convert very polarized Republicans over, and it is really hard to get anything done, especially if you're worst enemy has the power to knock down what you tried so hard to pass with Bush the lost with the veto pen.

Second note: Oh, should I pull up RFK on this? He would do what very few politicians will never do, tell the public what they didn't want to hear. Obama is possibly the closest you can get to RFK with the restrictions of the culture of 08.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Obama is on the Committee of Foreign Relations, Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs, and is the chairman of the subcommittee on European Affairs. He's visited Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia during his time in congress before his presidential bid, not including his recent trip.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999

Nope, I'm a college student somewhere on the SOUTH east. :D

Remember, it's okay for a black person to be liberal. No one will find it odd.:laugh:

But I don't agree with everything the Democrats view. (banning guns? lol)

But I just can't stand McCain. He claims that Obama doesn't have experience. Yet how can someone be Presidential material when he was captured during war?

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Yet how can someone be Presidential material when he was captured during war?
View it this way, a man in a parachute slowly drifting downward will be easy to capture, take note he isn't Rambo and therefore, he was bound to be captured.
Pilots who are shot down behind enemy lines have very high odds in becoming a POW, atleast we know McCain can take the torture of being a president. Plus, is there something wrong with a POW?

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Obama is on the Committee of Foreign Relations, Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs, and is the chairman of the subcommittee on European Affairs. He's visited Africa, the Middle East, Europe, and Asia during his time in congress before his presidential bid, not including his recent trip.
not to mention Joe Biden's foreign relations experience, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom