• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Master Quest

rhan

Smash Hero
I need to play through this again. I remember really enjoying it, but I don't remember much of it. I did like how some dungeons, especially Dodongo's Cavern, were so radically transformed, though more linear ones were more similar. I didn't even know it existed until I was in a Gamestop or something, and I saw it on the shelves. I stopped looking for a new game right then and there.

I lent it to my friend like a year and a half ago, and she keeps meaning to give it back, but we just forget to remind each other... I was scared she got rid of it once, but she found it, or she's secretly lying while she tries to find me a new copy. O_O
I didn't know that it exsisted either. I was actually at a friend's house and I traded the Yuigoh card Mirror Force for the disc. lol

Best trade of my life.

The absolute best Zelda experience is to play Master Quest, then Majora's Mask.

But yes, this should be merged into the OoT & MM thread. I'll be sure to include your MQ information though ;)
Yeah it should. Hopefully my post time for the OP beats the post time of the 1 post in your thread. That way I get the second spot. Hehe...

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
I think that OoC was the best zelda game in my opinion. Its one of the games that i never really got tired of. I just beat it again today actually. Oh is it me or does the shadow temple boss remind you of master and crazy hand (just the shadow boss hands, not the body)

Spire

III
BRoomer
I think that OoC was the best zelda game in my opinion. Its one of the games that i never really got tired of. I just beat it again today actually. Oh is it me or does the shadow temple boss remind you of master and crazy hand (just the shadow boss hands, not the body)
Ocarina of... Crime? This is the second time you've misspelled OoT as OoC.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I hate Majora's Mask.

I remember playing a demo to this as a kid, and hating it, primarily because it had a time limit.

Nowadays, I tend to think maybe I jumped the gun and the time limit is a little lenient.
My friend is a big Zelda fan and I got both OoT and MM on VC for him.
I was originally planning on playing OoT, but after watching my friend speed run the game, it felt spoiled and I decided to play MM.

It looked promising.
But then I saw that the time limited wasn't lenient at all!
One day flashes by in 10 minutes! I'm too busy looking around, exploring and ****, and there's a ****ing time limit that hounds you down.
I figured, "I'll just see what I need to do, reset and run through it all so the time limit shouldn't catch up with me." Turns out I have to let time chase me down.
So, I let it, get my frigg'n flute back, go back to Day 1. By now, I'm thinking, "Oh, so this is how it works, okay, I can deal with this." I slow the time down, and set out for adventure. I can look around, explore without a moon hounding my ***.
So after dying like 40 times, I finally make some progress, and I hate that you have to play time too **** close to get some **** done. It took me hours (in real time) to find out where to go (Woodfall), it took me more hours to figure out how to get there (Deku Swamp), and it took me even longer to find out that I needed to go deeper in (Woodfall Temple), by now it's the Last Day, I don't wanna go back in time, but I figured I can do so if **** hits the fan. I'm trying my hardest to go through the dungeon as fast as I can, I end up dying by falling in poison water, and getting his by those butterflies who apparently do damage.
I go all the way back to the entrance, it's midnight of the last day.
Now I'm sure I can't make it in time.
I cue the Song of Time.

I cried, because I had absolutely no clue that my **** doesn't go back with me.

My bombs, rupees, deku nuts, deku sticks, magic seeds, all of it was gone.

By then I was like "**** This ****" and exited.

At least I gave it a chance, but I can't enjoy this game, the fact that there's a time limit, goes against every instinct a Zelda game provides--free exploration, taking your time, etc.

zaneebaslave

Smash Journeyman
I hate Majora's Mask.

I remember playing a demo to this as a kid, and hating it, primarily because it had a time limit.

Nowadays, I tend to think maybe I jumped the gun and the time limit is a little lenient.
I was originally planning on playing OoT, but after watching my friend speed run the game, it felt spoiled and I decided to play MM.

It looked promising.
One day flashes by in 10 minutes! I'm too busy looking around, exploring and ****, and there's a ****ing time limit that hounds you down.
I figured, "I'll just see what I need to do, reset and run through it all so the time limit shouldn't catch up with me." Turns out I have to let time chase me down.
So, I let it, get my frigg'n flute back, go back to Day 1. By now, I'm thinking, "Oh, so this is how it works, okay, I can deal with this." I slow the time down, and set out for adventure. I can look around, explore without a moon hounding my ***.
So after dying like 40 times, I finally make some progress, and I hate that you have to play time too **** close to get some **** done. It took me hours (in real time) to find out where to go (Woodfall), it took me more hours to figure out how to get there (Deku Swamp), and it took me even longer to find out that I needed to go deeper in (Woodfall Temple), by now it's the Last Day, I don't wanna go back in time, but I figured I can do so if **** hits the fan. I'm trying my hardest to go through the dungeon as fast as I can, I end up dying by falling in poison water, and getting his by those butterflies who apparently do damage.
I cue the Song of Time.

At least I gave it a chance, but I can't enjoy this game, the fact that there's a time limit, goes against every instinct a Zelda game provides--free exploration, taking your time, etc.
You do know that you can slow down time so that it's almost 40 minutes a day, right? And your rupees can be saved in the bank on the west side of town?

Scott!

Smash Lord
I hate Majora's Mask.

It looked promising.
I cue the Song of Time.

As Zaneebaslave said, you can slow it down, which the scarecrow on the way to the observatory tells you about, I think. And the time limit is really not that restrictive of your movements. It takes some getting used to, and yes, it does screw everyone over a few times at first. But once you get used to it, it's a puzzle unto itself, which does fit into the Zelda style. You have to think ahead about what you want to do in each set of 3 days. I rather like it, though only as a one-shot deal. It's not my favorite Zelda mechanic though. The WW ocean is much cooler, and is something I'd like to have again someday.

But the time mechanic is not what makes MM a great game. It's the amazing character development of all the people you meet. You see tons of people and how they all react to their own imminent doom. They all can see their fate coming crashing towards them. Some flee in fear. Some do their best to ignore it. Others are Anju and Kafei, whose story make up the best side quest in the entire Zelda series.

I'm not saying that you have to like the game. You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to force you to play a game you don't like. All I'm saying is that, once you get used to the time mechanic, it's not that big of a deal. You've already learned all the hardest lessons from it. You ran out of time in the middle of a dungeon, and learned that you lose your stuff. But now you know. Plus, you have the warp song, so you don't have to redo most of what you did before the dungeon, and you know about the bank. It's just that I don't like to see someone getting frustrated with something I once dealt with too, and missing out on a great game because of it.

Sukai

Smash Champion
I know to slow time down, I said I did, right before I "set out for adventure".
The time limit is really bad for someone like me with bad navigation, I could easily end up running laps with no clue what to do (like I was in LttP), and then all that precious work just to have to put it all to waste, because you spent too much time figuring out what to do.

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's pretty good, but the time limit almost ruins the experience for me.

EDIT: I had no clue of a bank anywhere, because I was far too busy going insane on what to do, where to go, how to get there and how to beat it before my 3 days caught up with me.

rhan

Smash Hero
Majora's was all about using every minute wisely. No squandering in that game.

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
Majora's was all about using every minute wisely. No squandering in that game.
Agreed, I had to learn the hard way through repetition and stuff, and with slowing down time, you have a little leeway with enjoying the sights like Stone Tower Temple.

It's a learning curve, but no problem after you get it! :laugh::laugh:

Zora and Fierce Deity Link own!!

I kinda like MM, especially the time limit. Got MM when I was like seven...this was horrible. I was stuck aaaaallllllllllll the way back at the beginning, that part where you have to shoot the bubble at Skull Kid to get your ocarina back...So, recently, I picked it back up...and, I love it.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
I know to slow time down, I said I did, right before I "set out for adventure".
The time limit is really bad for someone like me with bad navigation, I could easily end up running laps with no clue what to do (like I was in LttP), and then all that precious work just to have to put it all to waste, because you spent too much time figuring out what to do.

I'm not saying the game is bad, it's pretty good, but the time limit almost ruins the experience for me.

EDIT: I had no clue of a bank anywhere, because I was far too busy going insane on what to do, where to go, how to get there and how to beat it before my 3 days caught up with me.
key to enjoying MM: ignore the timer, go out and explore just like any other zelda game, and when the time runs out, use song of soaring to get back to wherever you were and keep going. seriously what's wrong with you people.

Scott!

Smash Lord
So, Skyler has created a separate MM topic thread, so I'd suggest that any more MM talk go there.

Anyway, back to OoT. For me, one of the great things about this game was that it took me a good long while to beat when I was a kid. Thus, all the locations I couldn't reach developed into mysteries I couldn't wait to unravel. The cave at Zora's Fountain that became the Ice Cavern, the area across the bridge in Gerudo Valley, the mysterious ruins in the lost woods, and many more. And when I finally became an adult and got to explore these places for the first time, it was so exciting to finally see these places I'd tried fruitlessly to reach as a child.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright, that was weird. I tried to merge the uber challenge thread into here and it only merged the last post. Sorry.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Anyway, back to OoT. For me, one of the great things about this game was that it took me a good long while to beat when I was a kid. Thus, all the locations I couldn't reach developed into mysteries I couldn't wait to unravel. The cave at Zora's Fountain that became the Ice Cavern, the area across the bridge in Gerudo Valley, the mysterious ruins in the lost woods, and many more. And when I finally became an adult and got to explore these places for the first time, it was so exciting to finally see these places I'd tried fruitlessly to reach as a child.
You picked up on one of my favorite aspects of the entire game. That experience is part of what makes OoT so much better than the other games.

Supreme65

Smash Apprentice
Master quest is harder than the original. Just when ya thought you know everything, it switches and everything becomes the opposite. Ocarina and it's master quest. Reminds me of playing the first zelda:)

Super Touhey

Smash Cadet
And all this time I thought it Master Quest was just a remake. I definitely HAVE to get this game. Harder than the original, huh? That should be a refreshing change of pace.

Ocarina of time is my favorite game ever. Although I kinda struggled with it when i was a kid. I was kinda arachnophobic and the spiders in the deku tree creeped me out. After I got past that, I just couldn't deal with those redeads. But I had to explore every one of those gravestones. Even as a kid i was a completionist. Could not do the shadow temple. Had to come back and do it when i was older.

I dunno, the water temple gave me mixed feelings. I like how its unique and challenging, but i hate how I end up getting stuck in the same place every time I do it.

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Even the opening song in Ocarina of Time was simply breathtaking. Sometimes nintendo makes games that are, well, real stinkers, but Ocarina was that game that most kids of this past generation will look back at and say, "Theres the best game ever made."

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I had OoC for my VC, it was ok, but it was still better on the 64.
You mean OoT? Well, I guess I'm not missing anything then. I play it on an emulator now, but you really can't beat the old N64 controls (unless you get the Gamecube version :bee:).

I think the best thing about the game was how realistic it seemed (at the time lol). You could cut down signs, knock stuff out of trees, and even get your shield burned up. The level of detail was great. I read that one of the hardest things about making the game was the realistic movement of Link's hood.

Thino

Smash Master
I think MQ has been made to confuse especially those that already played OoT , there were some puzzles I wouldnt have been stuck by , if I didnt played OoT .

some other puzzles are just plain not obvious , I'd like future zeldas to have that difficulty

like for example the Fire Temple , where I kept climbing up the dungeon (obviously thinking about Megaton Hammer ) trying to get the chest surrounded by fire , when I already had the Big Key and the Megaton Hammer

at a moment Im like "wtf am I doing here?" and rushed to Volvagia lol

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
I think MQ has been made to confuse especially those that already played OoT , there were some puzzles I wouldnt have been stuck by , if I didnt played OoT .

some other puzzles are just plain not obvious , I'd like future zeldas to have that difficulty

like for example the Fire Temple , where I kept climbing up the dungeon (obviously thinking about Megaton Hammer ) trying to get the chest surrounded by fire , when I already had the Big Key and the Megaton Hammer

at a moment Im like "wtf am I doing here?" and rushed to Volvagia lol
I haven't played through MQ yet, and I'm still debating whether I should or not. I've tried it, but the dungeons don't make any sense at all to me.

There is a ****ing cow head in Jabu Jabu's mouth.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Play it, Phantom. The designers had some fun with it, but the cow is being digested. Jabu Jabu clearly ate it. Plus, it's a great challenge, as I remember. I've only played it once, 5+ years ago. I wanna give it another go, for old time's sake.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Play it, Phantom. The designers had some fun with it, but the cow is being digested. Jabu Jabu clearly ate it. Plus, it's a great challenge, as I remember. I've only played it once, 5+ years ago. I wanna give it another go, for old time's sake.
I guess I should after all. Why not?

But if the cow is being digested, 1) why is it still in his mouth (a better question: why is it growing out of the side of his mouth?), and 2) why does it still moo when Link shoots it with a slingshot bullet?

Mrs.BlackWaltzX

Smash Journeyman
I just started playing Master Quest yesterday, and I finally get inside Lord Jabu Jabu's belly.. and I see two cows stuck near the roof of his mouth. Shooting the poor things made me cringe. I mean, finding the cow near the top of Death Mountain in that hole? I was heartbroken for the poor dear! Now I find tons of half eaten cows that are still crying out in Jabu Jabu!! One is underwater and moving, and I still have to shoot the poor thing! ;_; I'm going to hell for sure. I dislike this meat-eating Jabu Jabu.

Smurfy EXE

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so, I'm playing Ocarina of Time again...
and I've never 100% completed the game...
So, I got a strategy guide thing...
and it sucks... O_O

So, I was gonna tell ya'll what it is that I have...
and If I can get bigger amounts, or If I have the maximum

Seed Bag - 50 Max?
Deku Nuts - 30 ?
Deku Stick - 30 ?
Bombs - 40 Max?
Bombchu - 50 Max?
Quiver - 50 Max?

I have 5 more pieces of Heart left, and 8 More skulltula to go...
Any ideas on commonly missed hearts and spiders?

Also, what are the requirements of a minimal challenge?
Only 3 hearts?
No upgrades?
Details plz :D

Spire

III
BRoomer
A true OoT challenge would be to limit yourself to three hearts, no upgrades, no Hylian Shield (get it eaten by a Like Like), no Lens of Truth, and fight bosses with iron boots. I believe it is possible to get them before completing any of the temples through some tricky handling of the game. Also, you have to use the Mirror Shield to defeat Twinrova, so after doing so, get a Hylian Shield, equip it, and have it eaten by a Like Like so that you don't have a shield equipped for the remainder of the game. Oh, and no Biggoron sword. That should be a given though. I can't remember if the broken giant's knife does any damage, but if it does, then that would be an even trickier way to play the game than using the Master Sword/No Shield combo.

Commonly missed skulltulas/pieces of heart are those found in grottos using the Stone of Agony (Rumble Pack), particularly if you're playing on the Gamecube or Wii because there is no rumble feature.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Also, Smurfy Executable, where are you missing the Skulltulas? You do know that areas where you've gotten all of them have a Skulltula icon next to them on the map, and dungeons where you've finished to the same on their map, I assume.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, Smurfy Executable, where are you missing the Skulltulas? You do know that areas where you've gotten all of them have a Skulltula icon next to them on the map, and dungeons where you've finished to the same on their map, I assume.
There are some Skulltulas that aren't on the map...

I know that I finished all the skulltulas that showed up on the map and I still was missing 1.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Really? Cause I never had that problem. I know the world map doesn't count the ones in dungeons in each region as part of that region's total. The only way to know if a dungeon is finished is to go there and check that map.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I've already played this game many MANY times since it's release. there's no telling HOW many scents/atmoshpere/materials/tastes that just make a Nostalgia BOMB and remind me of this game. It's that time of year again, almost the time OoT came out, so of course the frigid temperatures are gonna trigger some memories. But during that period of time, I was in school and we were using the glue guns heavily. So when I saw and smelled someone using a glue gun, BAM!

Anyway, not only that, but has anyone listened to the Re-arranged album? There's some pretty funky stuff in it. My favorite tracks being the Hyrule Field Theme.

God, I'm going to play this game again. I love it.

Top Bottom