• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time N64 Cartridge doesn't save and erases files

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, oh well. I bought an used Ocarina of Time cartridge last November, and I made a save on slot A. Everything went normal, I was in Hyrule, right after going through the Great Deku Tree dungeon. Then my brother started a new file in slot B, he saved half-way through the Great Deku Tree dungeon and turned off the N64. The next time we started the game, his file was gone, mine was still there. Now I turned on the game again and now my file is gone. I don't know what is happening, probably a battery problem, but I don't know. Slot C doesn't work too. I tried to clean the cartridge but the files are still gone and it still doesn't save. Please help!

Yep. Hypothetically, but not really, I would wager 10 to 1 that little hearing aid-like battery has finally kicked the bucket. It might be possible to replace it yourself. However, I think the few times I had this happen to me the battery was soldered into the circuit itself. Thus, not only would you need the tri-wing screw driver to get it out of the casing (maybe could make a flat-head work), you would have to get the battery unattached somehow.

I would recommend upgrading to the Gamecube Master Quest. The whole Gamecube, game, and memory card should only be like 50 dollars. Far less if you have most stuff obviously.

Or else, you could simply attempt to leave the game on indefinitely until you finish it lol I have seen one guy leave his gamecube on with melee in it for over 2 weeks so that he wouldn't lose the save data after losing the memory card.

Curmudgeon

Smash Ace
I changed the battery of the game and I found out the battery was changed before, it was placed above a piece of cardboard and sealed with ductape. I changed the battery using the same method. It appears that the game doesn't erase file A now (I started a new file, currently I'm entering Hyrule Castle Town), but it still can't save anything on slot B, I haven't checked what happens with slot C. Maybe the problem is the lack of soldering. Any thoughts?

Maybe I will buy the GameCube version, though I will need also a controller. Maybe they sell GameCubes in the place where I bought Ocarina of Time. I bought OoT for only $20 and Banjo-Tooie for $12! Banjo-Tooie works fine.

Edit: I was arriving in Goron City for the first time, saved, and restarted the game to see if the file was still there... it disappeared.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
There are other ways of playing the game that don't require you to buy anything...

Then again, there is also the superior 3DS version.

3DS doesn't have all the cool glitches and more awesome looking link (those truely pointy ears) :p But for most people it might be a suitable replacement.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Actually, the developers said that they intentionally kept some of the bugs and glitches into the game, or the ones they thought were more "fun", having removed only the ones that would cause issues with the actual game itself.

:phone:

danielmolgu

Smash Rookie
Hi Curmudgeon:

I don't speak english 100% (like 25%), i have an ocarina cartridge and i was gaming in file two and turned off and the next day i turned on, my file (file two) was the only file that no wasn't there (file1 and file3 still there) is stranger only one file is missing, battery is die or what?? i don't undestand

Top Bottom