• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Off Grabs....

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
So, I've been looking around and haven't noticed any kind of a guide for Kirby's grab game... and his grab game doesn't seem that bad. The little guy has a good shield, a deceiving good magnet on his stubby hand and his techchase doesn't seem to be that bad.

Is there any consensus on what to do after D-throw on X, Y and Z characters? When it's good to switch to U-throw, when and what stages and what X's U-throw can net you a kill at? Like, do we have some sort of an unspoken flow chart of what to do on what DI vs what character? I love grab game and tech chasing so I've been having a lot of success with follow ups on Kirby's grabs. To include U-tilt to turnaround regrab, turn around Utilt on slight DI and then punishing with a Ftilt at higher percentages when I don't want to try and JC grab.

If no one has this information I'd be willing to try and start labbing it out.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
On fast-fallers (like Sheik/Falcon/Space Furries), D-throw can lead to a Tech Predict opportunities. I say "Tech Predict" and not "Tech Case" because it gives you an idea of how difficult it is to Tech Chase with Kirby. We're not talking about using Falcon Tech Chases here, you gotta get hard reads on these suckers.

If you suspect the opponent is not going to Tech, you can use Jab-1 to force them to stand back up where you have the opportunity to start a combo (U-tilt, U-smash, or go for another Grab). This is unlikely against decently skilled opponents, but if you're playing someone who isn't good then this is a great option.

If you suspect the opponent is wise and capable enough to tech Kirby's D-throw, you can start to play the guessing game with them. If you think they're going to Tech in place, you can treat it similar to the forced get-up and start a combo or go for a regrab or strong hit finisher. If you think they're going to Tech Roll you have to predict ahead of time which way they're going because Kirby is generally not fast enough to wait and react. If you Tech Predict correctly you can run with them and regrab, which they may try to Sidestep. If you think they're going to Sidestep, you can punish that as you see fit (I prefer using Hammer since nothing says "I read that!" like a Hammer). If you Tech Predict incorrectly, they've pretty much escaped any pressure you had them in at that point.

It's a little risky to use D-throw on lighter characters. Peach and Luigi, for instance, can get a N-air hitbox out before Kirby recovers from his D-throw. Jigglypuff can drop down with a Rest and usually KO Kirby before he gets a Shield up. There's a specific damage % that you can safely use D-throw on these characters where they go high enough up that Kirby can get a Shield up to defend before they hit him. The exact percents escape my memory right now, but I'm thinking it's above 35% for Jigglypuff as a rough estimate. On these characters, though, I usually just opt to use Up Throw for the damage. If the damage percent is high enough you can go for F-throw or B-throw since they usually won't be able to break out of it fast enough at that point.

One last thing to note:
Pichu is a special case. His tech roll is so bad you can D-throw and Tech Chase him wherever he goes. You can even D-throw and - if you guess correctly which direction he Tech Rolls - you can hit him with a sweet-spotted Hammer! Also, at 150% or so, Kirby has a guaranteed KO set-up with: D-throw -> F-tilt because Pichu is that easy to combo.
GG Pichu.

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
i was labbing things to do off uthrow against fast fallers and i'm 90% sure you can reaction tech chase falcon with it reliably around 30%-~60%

also if the opponent DI's in on the uthrows at mid to higher percents you can get an uair or bair or style with the aerial side B damage.

all depending on their weight.

also if you're playing against a sheik or marth that doesn't mash out of fthrow or bthrow, go for bthrows at medium percents and if they DI inwards then you get a free uair

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Upthrow to upair is usually what I go for, though I'm sure with DI away it's avoidable? If you get it tho, you can l-cancel the upair and go for another one.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
You can also do aerial hammer if they DI uthrow in, please never attempt this vs a space animal, however.

Dthrow can actually combo into ftilt or utilt at higher percents, potentially for a KO. If you waveland right after any of the other throws (cancel Kirby's bounce back up) you might find more combo opportunity.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Against fast fallers and mid weight characters, you can d-throw tech chase. Make sure that you are good at reacting to tech in place though. Against floaties, I usually just u-throw to put them in the air, then I shark their landing.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
you could find percent ranges for when the throws create a tech chase situation on platforms. kirby might be fast enough to cover the options, idk.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
On fast-fallers (like Sheik/Falcon/Space Furries), D-throw can lead to a Tech Predict opportunities. I say "Tech Predict" and not "Tech Case" because it gives you an idea of how difficult it is to Tech Chase with Kirby. We're not talking about using Falcon Tech Chases here, you gotta get hard reads on these suckers.
Edit:

Because Kirby's d-smash outlasts the duration of spotdodge for most characters (by 2 frames), so it will always beat spotdodge. Couldn't you react to tech in place/flubbed tech with grab/jab then react to them tech rolling with a d-smash. Most people would spotdodge if you are following their tech roll and get hit by the last frames of the d-smash. Or maybe you'll nail the tech chase and hit them before they can do anything. Not sure what the best input combination is for doing a running d-smash. Maybe wavedash - dash and dash cancel d-smash. Or dash -> wavedash d-smash. Will have to experiment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom