• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official 2012 Florida Power Ranking Thread! (Powered By Bath Salts)

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
My 1st post I see where your coming from... but if thats the case then we might as well just have 1 big *** bracket right?

my 2nd post I was merely agreeing that for major tourneys your idea would be better and less time consuming.

:sonic:

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
My 1st post I see where your coming from... but if thats the case then we might as well just have 1 big *** bracket right?

EVO, 2000 man tourney for SFIV (referring to the series as a whole), done all in one night with the exception of Top 8 which is done on Sunday. Is it done in one big *** bracket? No. They have double elimination pools of 16 players max, however many pools they need to cover all the entrants. 2 players advance, one from winner's and one from loser's, to the next set of pools to get to Top 32 then to Top 8. Mind you those who advanced from loser's are still in loser's so you really have to play on point. GamerBee lost 1st round of the Super in 2010 and made it all the way to Top 8 so it's not impossible. You just got to be good and have resolve and poise to overcome such an obstacle.

All the games at EVO follow this model. SFIV has had the most entrants every year since it's inception and Marvel 3 has followed suit.

my 2nd post I was merely agreeing that for major tourneys your idea would be better and less time consuming.

It's not really my idea. I'm just referring to the model of the biggest and most competitive fighting game tourney series of all time.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I mean, I like swimming so I don't really have a problem with pools. You guys need to calm down.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Swimming in those casual pools. Gotta go out to the treacherous seas where if you fall once you're done. Win or go home......... or just party throughout until the tourney is over.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I mean, I like swimming so I don't really have a problem with pools. You guys need to calm down.
I'd figure you'd much prefer south beach over pools :awesome:

But 4 real though, pools are just too inefficient imo. Takes way too much time and there's always either the death pools/free pools.

Playing extra ppl for your money is a pretty bad argument. I'd rather work my way up to play ppl in a redeeming fashion rather than play people that'd normally wouldnt make it 2nd round of winners. I feel its more rewarding that way, but I guess that's just me.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
It woudn't take too much time if there was more than 10 setups. And if people were to really stop doing friendlies during a tournament.

DRN

Smash Lord
Player-1 and I are hosting a tournament with a $400 pot bonus on November 10th. We are trying to make this as big as we can. Come to it and maybe i can house a ton of FL players like last time!

WABA

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
No, it still takes a while and is pretty inefficient. However, pools help grow the community since it gives the lower-leveled players an opportunity to play the high level players without having to blatantly go and ask them, which is nerve wracking for some people.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Playing extra ppl for your money is a pretty bad argument. I'd rather work my way up to play ppl in a redeeming fashion rather than play people that'd normally wouldnt make it 2nd round of winners. I feel its more rewarding that way, but I guess that's just me.
You feel that way because you don't go 0-2 in tournament and have either forgotten or never learned what it feels like to drive 3 hours, only to play for 30 minutes and have to spend the rest of the time watching other people play. It's not conducive to growth. That you think that the existence of "Free Pools" is a bad thing is telling.

Compare SFL with WSFL.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
You feel that way because you don't go 0-2 in tournament and have either forgotten or never learned what it feels like to drive 3 hours, only to play for 30 minutes and have to spend the rest of the time watching other people play. It's not conducive to growth. That you think that the existence of "Free Pools" is a bad thing is telling.

Compare SFL with WSFL.
No, I feel that way because of my experience with pools and brackets. I've driven 3 hours for plenty of tournys. The worst one was probaly winterfest that we drove from naples to Orlando awhile back where my pool was hrnut and dphat and only top 2 made it out with 5 ppl in that pool. Considering it was a tourney with OOS, it was annoying to have the toughest pool there, and not being able to play ppl like ally or gnes in bracket. iirc gmoney didnt make it out either because his pool i think was really tough too and that was around the time he was in his prime. I've had a similiar experience too in melee 05'ish and only tend to have such unpleasant events during pools it seems. On the other spectrum, the last tourney I went to with most of fl was the tommy_g tourney where my pool was me,tommyg,dtorr and 2 other ppl. That tourney didnt end up well as you probably remember due it taking too long but also because of the power outage. Both sides of the spectrum suck since its not fair for the other people in different pools.

With a bracket its a computer that randomizes it and fixed slightly, with pools its usually just fixed based off choosing 1 person who will win that pool and assigning an elite person to each pool and sometimes adding 2 or more to each pool pretty much screwing over other people who'd normally would do pretty well in bracket. That pretty much just gives that person a free ride to brackets even if they lose a match which is why most of them tend to just sandbag pools like its friendlies and pick characters they wouldn't use and such.

Also theres been plenty of tournies ive heard of where Certain player x who is guaranteed 1st forfeits to player y because he is their friend which then screws over player z who should've been 2nd. I'm sure those people were much happier with pools rather than a bracket :awesome:

Im just stating my experience overall. Not really saying any of this for my own benefit just thoughts overall for the community since ive been here a lot longer than you have. Not to mention 0-2 like you said should only happen a few times to a person if ever. If that happens that should drive the player to become better, use that down time to go MM people or friendly them, dont just sit down and watch matches. You have to lose some to win some, its not given out freely. Being content with losing in pools just because you got to play more ppl seems silly to me atleast, I don't know about you.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I dunno. If you go 0-2 in brackets you just have to get better and hope someone is playing friendlies in the meantime.

I just flew 5 hours to go 1-2 and paying 70 bucks and id do it again too.

:phone:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
@DewDaDash - I Had Seibrik(Who was the best in FL @ the time & got 2nd) & Biglou... my pool was HARDER :-p

AfroQT

Smash Master
More matches for your $ isn't a bad argument, you dont even say why it is you just say it is lol. Thats some Xaltis ****.
I'd wager that most people (not top players) want to play as much as they can for the money the put up.

AfroQT

Smash Master
I don't care either way but sometimes...its like really can we get well thought out discussions instead of "no dont do this i dont like it"

B_AWAL

Smash Master
@Jeff - I'm recording all the wins and losses and saving it in an email account.

Btw... we beating u guys next time we play 2v2! Lol

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Awal, check my first post in this thread.
I'm keeping track of the results + any PR-related W/L. If it comes down to a tie-breaker, the results threads have brackets so far.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Its better that more than 1 person do it.

We will look @ NickR's info 1st and double-check after.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I'm doing it specifically because people like Jeff don't like anybody who was on this panel due to... what was argued before.
I'm an outside source.

I SHALL BE SLAYING MAMPAM THIS WEEKEND! CANNOT LET HIM GET ALL THE WINS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom