• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official AC Villager Discussion Thread! He smiles as he smashes faces in! [Update: CONFIRMED!]

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm pretty sure she says it under her breath in the games, doesn't she? I think it would actually be more funny that way. :p
She does, but it could be an outlet for Phyllis to scream at opponents while she completely destroys them. :4villager:

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Speaking of which, not hearing the Villager's voice, even with direct audio. Is it that quiet, or just not present on the 3DS demo build?:054:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I think it's just extremely quiet, because as far as I can tell the 3DS and Wii U versions have the same character SFX (excluding things such as grab sound, etc.).

Does the male Villager have a voice, or is it only the female?

Hong

The Strongest
Okay, I have gone back and reviewed the footage.

Yeah, I heard a very quiet voice from at least the female Villager. Not going to dig around for a good sample for the male. Turning it up to hear it amongst the sounds of in-game SFX and obnoxious commentary is painful on the ears. @~@

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Okay, I have gone back and reviewed the footage.

Yeah, I heard a very quiet voice from at least the female Villager. Not going to dig around for a good sample for the male. Turning it up to hear it amongst the sounds of in-game SFX and obnoxious commentary is painful on the ears. @~@
Didn't they have footage in the Smash Direct of the male Villager using his FS, or was there no SFX?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Just read this:

[collapse=Villager-y Stuff]
Source

"In Smash 4, due to the new ledge mechanics, there's now 3 specific aspects of recovery.
  1. Can you get to the ledge even if hit
  2. If you do grab the ledge, are you able to get back on stage without much invincibility
  3. Can you bypass the ledge altogether and get on the stage (without a ton of lag)
What's going to happen to many characters is they will take the typical recovery of go low and "sweetspot" the ledge. The ledge will immediately be taken by the opponent before you can get off the ledge. This bumps you off, and you'll almost certainly be hit. Can you make it back at this point?

If you get the ledge and they don't take it from you, but instead wait by the ledge for you to act, can you make it back before Marth d-tilts you? This is most commonly the kind of edgeguarding that occurred in Brawl. It could be frustrating at times, but certain characters (like Meta Knight, again) had abilities like tornado that allowed you to bypass unprepared opponents almost instantly.

But more importantly, are you a character like Villager who can over-b a great distance, thus removing the ledge from the equation altogether? Those will be the best recoveries.

Ask those three questions when picking your smash mains. Characters like Bowser and DK are going to have bad recoveries. Characters like Marth and Megaman will have some definite ability to grab the ledge, but have difficulty safely bypassing it. Characters like Villager will have superb recoveries with his over-b and up+b options."[/collapse]

Seems to be that Villager will have one of the best recoveries in the game!

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think that Villager's recovery is a lot like ROB's and because of the new way the edge works Villager will fare better than other characters. He seems to be able to get back from anywhere!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I was quite surprised by how much distance Lloid Rocket lets Villager cross when rided on. Combining that with Balloon Trip seems to make Villager difficult to KO if not launched enough off-screen.

I think many would use Lloid rocket more though as Balloon Trip might be easily gimped due balloons popping from projectiles and so forth, plus it doubles as an attack.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
It is so hard to find good pictures of F!Villager.

Hong

The Strongest
Yesterday, we saw the Lloid Rocket completely disregard Samus's Charge Shot, an attack famous for overcoming other projectiles. It seems to be entirely indestructible to attacks, both ranged and physical. I would be so bold to as to say it is one of the most defining moves of the Villager, and aside from the fact you can only have one out at a time I think it's probably immensely powerful by design. In a case like this, they probably offset the strengths of one move with weaknesses elsewhere in the character.
It is so hard to find good pictures of F!Villager.
I just hope we'll get another design or two. Not a fan of the ones we have right now. @~@

Reila

I just hope we'll get another design or two. Not a fan of the ones we have right now. @~@
I kinda like the two female designs and the main male design. The alternate male looks hideous, though. Still, I am with you hoping for another two designs.

Namely the two "main" designs from New Leaf:

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I kinda like the two female designs and the main male design. The alternate male looks hideous, though. Still, I am with you hoping for another two designs.

Namely the two "main" designs from New Leaf:

Ooh, if these could be in Smash...

One problem though is that Villager doesn't follow the New Leaf design, if I'm correct. He has his short and stubby look from City Folk.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Does anyone have a favorite Animal Crossing Character? I like Reese and Cyrus a lot, but I have a soft spot for Tangy because she's coincidentally been in (I think) all four of my towns across the series. I've always liked her.

Reila

Nope, but I have a least favorite: Peewee :p

Hong

The Strongest
Hm... Doesn't get better than K.K. Slider. Honourable mentions go to Brewster and Isabelle, though. ^~^

Reila

Anyway, I don't have New Leaf anymore, but I found some screenshots of the game in a random folder in my HD

I miss my Villager :c She was so derpy.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I made a Sprite Art of Villager for all to enjoy.
Villager.png

gbaespada

Smash Cadet
IMO the villager should play a defensive play style punishing enemies for certain attacks like samus Wii fit trainer and physical fighters etc

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
IMO the villager should play a defensive play style punishing enemies for certain attacks like samus Wii fit trainer and physical fighters etc
villager is one of those characters who has the tools to camp.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Pretty much lol he's the Ledge Guardian.(protecting ledges since 2014)
the tree
gyroid
sapling,
turnips
slingshot
bowling ball

dat tree tho... leave it on stage and you can use the watering can to nudge people away from the edge, and since villager has an awesome recovery, edge guarding will be a major game play for him.
the tree has a large hit box when it falls and does a great amount of knock back. in doubles, and especially on a stage with platforms, like town and city, a double tree plant chopped down will cover a lot of area and cut off options.

you can slightly control the gyroids direction, you can chase behind it and do any follow up

the bowling ball is a strait drop, and will cut off all vertical recoveries like marth, kirby, luigi, dedede, lil mac, sonic, mega man, peach, link, samus, fox, wft, pit,
though a tree fall may be a better option. or maybe follow up a tree fall with a bowling ball to cover an air dodge.

the sapling can be launched off stage at an angle, it can also bounce once before bouncing off stage, could be used for fake outs.

THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reila

Seems like the stupid "psycho Villager" meme isn't exclusive to m!Villager anymore.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't mind it, but IMO since they're so cute the fans should focus on that aspect instead. :)

Reila

Peach looks adorable <3

So @ Hong Hong , I recall you saying Villager fits your play style more than Robin... may I ask why? What in Villager's moveset/play style interest you?

Hong

The Strongest
So @ Hong Hong , I recall you saying Villager fits your play style more than Robin... may I ask why? What in Villager's moveset/play style interest you?
I'm still unsure.

Villager seems to be the more "indirect" fighter. Robin is more likely to be constantly flinging spells at her adversary and cutting them down in close-quarters, while Villager can be "winning" in other ways. Being able to pocket something, being able to plant a tree and cut it down... they are "winning" since while they don't do direct damage, they give the Villager an advantage over the opponent.

Generally my specialty in these games lie in a rather subliminal level of strategy. Space control, mindset, resource control, etc. When I played Link in the 64 version, I used projectiles more for cutting off options than actually throwing them at the enemy, as an example. I have similar tendencies in other games as well, to arrive at a check-mate that puts me at an extreme advantage. Consequentially, I'm unable to play rush-down characters.

But we really don't know anything yet, do we? Arcthunder and Arcfire both are great for control, and Robin still has immense power from being able to charge spells up for later use. Not to mention that the enemy is forced to go in on Robin since they don't just want to let her sit around and regenerate equipment. In the end, the two characters have equal appeal to me no matter what I say, and I'll give them both a try for release.

When it comes to theme, I definitely like the Villager more, however.

Reila

I'm still unsure.

Villager seems to be the more "indirect" fighter. Robin is more likely to be constantly flinging spells at her adversary and cutting them down in close-quarters, while Villager can be "winning" in other ways. Being able to pocket something, being able to plant a tree and cut it down... they are "winning" since while they don't do direct damage, they give the Villager an advantage over the opponent.

Generally my specialty in these games lie in a rather subliminal level of strategy. Space control, mindset, resource control, etc. When I played Link in the 64 version, I used projectiles more for cutting off options than actually throwing them at the enemy, as an example. I have similar tendencies in other games as well, to arrive at a check-mate that puts me at an extreme advantage. Consequentially, I'm unable to play rush-down characters.

But we really don't know anything yet, do we? Arcthunder and Arcfire both are great for control, and Robin still has immense power from being able to charge spells up for later use. Not to mention that the enemy is forced to go in on Robin since they don't just want to let her sit around and regenerate equipment. In the end, the two characters have equal appeal to me no matter what I say, and I'll give them both a try for release.

Interesting, thanks for answering.

Two things: 1. Do you know if there is a site or whatever listing the "roles" of each character in Smash (like rushdown, zoning, etc)? I actually didn't know Smash characters were classified in those categories, like characters from "2D fighters". 2. The bold part in the quote made a bit more excited to play Robin. I haven't thought about that before.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know of any sites of the sort. People on SmashBoards have made a few threads on it, but they get way out of hand and people start to attribute them incorrectly. I generally refer to the 2d fighter archetypes when I use those terms, however. If it helps, I like to play characters who keep away versus character who mandate going in.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't think there's a site for it, but in Smash some characters can fall under certain themes. Knowing what they are is next-to-useless but it can be kind of fun to describe things or use the terms to predict if you might like a character in another game with similar themes.

For example, Dhalsim in Street Fighter is a character that is floaty and uses his long range regular attacks to keep his opponent away from him. Olimar sounds the most like that to me so I could say that people that like a zoning character like Dhalsim might be happy playing a character like Olimar. They're also both bald.

A lot of characters in Smash can be played a few different ways though, so it makes things more confusing. Luigi can string together attacks better than most characters, but I wouldn't say he's a rushdown character because he's not really aggressive. Most players I see use Luigi space attacks on the opponent's shield while looking for their opponent to mess up so they can go in.

There's some that most people would agree on though. Mostly with long range characters like Link, Samus, Falco, Olimar, ect. or grappler characters like Bowser, Dedede, Donkey Kong. Even this is still confusing because Falco and Olimar still get great use out of their grabs despite being long-range characters.

Reila

I think knowing what function each characters does better would help me a lot in picking a main. I still have trouble identifying which character I like to play the most in Brawl and I don't want to play Smash 4 for years without maining two or three characters, at most.

gbaespada

Smash Cadet
I'm still unsure.

I love this reasoning because I also focus on this play style in most games for example I mained rob in brawl along with others but this character is versitle allowing me to switch up my style at a moments notice so that enemies could not predict my next move.

In other words I play with distance avoiding contact with enemies and its to do that is usually punishing incorrect shields or attacks which is why I look forward to maining villager

Last edited by a moderator:

Veggi

Smash Champion
I think knowing what function each characters does better would help me a lot in picking a main. I still have trouble identifying which character I like to play the most in Brawl and I don't want to play Smash 4 for years without maining two or three characters, at most.
Oh okay. I can try to help you with that then. I play more characters than anyone I've ever seen so I feel like I have a good understanding of how they work. This is also assuming that each character plays sort of similarly to the way they play in Brawl, which it looks like all of them do. I'll put an asterisk next to characters I've played a whole lot.

Newcomers:

Wii Fit Trainer: She's been hard to pin a description on since the game came out, but she looks like she has some decently powerful and quick moves that use her flexibility to give them enough range to be safe. Kind of like Chun-Li in Street Fighter. Two of her default moves heal her, so it always gives her something to do while her opponent is away. She could be the series' first buff character that excels when she can find opportunities to knock away the opponent and heal/buff herself. Her moves also alter her positioning sometimes so they could be used to make it hard for the opponent to directly attack her.

Villager: A projectile character that uses a wide variety of bizarre moves to his/her benefit. Control of the map seems very important to Villager. If the Villager player gets set up the way they want, it could be very difficult to take the lead back from him/her. A drawback might be that Villager can't easily reverse momentum if the opponent takes control of the match. Villager also seems to rule the off stage game with a wide array of edgeguarding attacks that hit at weird angles or for weird durations. Villager can have so much going on at once, that players who enjoy multi-tasking might enjoy Villager a lot.

Mega Man: Mega Man looks like a more traditional zoning type character, but for Smash Bros. that id unique. No character has ever had as many projectiles as Mega Man. Instead of having one or two great projectiles, Mega Man appears to have a whole lot of decent ones for different situations. Players that enjoy having many projectile options and few close-range options might feel right at home with Mega Man.

Rosalina: A character type that has existed in a few fighting games, but is a first for Smash. Rosalina can position a Luma do be where she wants to be. Many characters require strategy, but Rosalina requires a different type. If piloting a dummy fighter to attack the opponent and assist you as well as keep you out of harms way, Rosalina might be for you.

Greninja: Greninja seems to have similar values as Sheik, but Greninja has some close-range attacks with pretty long reach as opposed to having super fast moves that string together like Sheik. Greninja also has some moves that allow him to attack less directly. If a ninja character that focuses more on safety than tearing the opponent apart sounds good to you, Greninja might be right up your alley.

Little Mac: Much different than most Smash characters that rely on air combat, Little Mac has everything that makes any ground character in Smash great. A fast and effective jab that can be used for mix ups, moves that alter where his hitbox is for brief moments, invincibility, super armor, good anti-air attacks, fast and powerful moves, as well as great dodges, and a great running speed. Little Mac is terrifying on the ground, but horrible in the air. If you prefer to play with your feet on the ground, you might like Little Mac.

Palutena: Palutena, from what I remember, has been stated to be a good keep-away character. Palutena has a few crazy projectile moves up her sleeves. If custom moves are legal, Palutena might be best played by people who love crazy long range moves and feel comfortable learning many different moves to use for a variety of matchups. From her move demonstrations, even her physical moves seem like they hit pretty far. This makes Palutena look like she might be made for people that would normally both like playing heavy weight characters with good range and projectile characters.

Pac-Man: Not much has been shown of Pac-Man, but from what it looks like, he is a character that values utility above raw power. This makes him seem like players who like Villager might like Pac-Man. Pac-Man players might have to keep quite a few crazy ideas running through their heads to make use of he multiple-purpose fire hydrant, the draw-your-own-attack-path, and the fruit cycle. Pac-Man might be kind of like Villager, but for players that enjoy close range combat.

Robin: If any player got a kick out of stale move management in Brawl, that person might like Robin. Robin is a projectile character that has to use his/her moves very wisely. The player must keep the status of all moves in their head at all times. Each tome type also has different abilities, so players must keep this in their head as well. Rather than exactly keeping ideas in the players head, Robin players might excel from being able to micromanage their abilities and come up with good plans to make the most out of their limited resources. Sounds kind of tactical to me.

Announced Veterans:

*Mario: Mario is one of the three characters I've played the most in every Smash game. Mario has very quick attacks. When I looked at his frame data for his most used moves, he was around 4th or 5th most impressive imo. Mario's fireball is key to keeping him safe. Throwing it out at certain distances while jumping forward allows him to follow the fireball and hit slightly after the fireball hits. If you like the way Mario's fireball works, you may very well end up liking Mario. Mario has short range, but if Mario can hit an opponent after they make a mistake he can get in a lot of damage with his fast aerial attacks.

One of Mario's main draws is that he's amazing at keeping characters from coming back to the edge. Using his FLUDD to put enemies at a farther and higher position. If the enemy floats down to Mario after FLUDD and he reacts quickly, Mario can up smash the opponent or cape them so that they don't make it back. His fast aerials can also be used to pester opponents off stage.

*Luigi: Similar to Mario. Luigi doesn't have as many options to deal with situations, but what Luigi does he does very well. If Luigi can catch the opponent making a mistake he can do more damage than Mario can and gets kills easier because his attacks are stronger. Luigi can edgeguard okay because he has quick aerials to pester the opponent with, but doesn't have all the tools of Mario. Luigi can make it back to the stage much more easily than Mario though.

*Peach: Peach is another top three character of mine. Peach's main attribute is her float ability that gives her great control over her aerial attacks and allows her to attack the opponent from uncomfortable positions where they can't easily hit her. When Peach is around the same horizontal line with her opponent, she is great and very difficult to hit, but if she gets hit high up in the sky, it can be very hard for her to reach the ground safely because she falls slowly and has a bad air dodge.

Peach uses turnips that allow her to both approach very easily by throwing them in front of her and defend very easily by throwing them while running away or as a quick option after blocking an attack. Peach is good at guarding the edge because of how much aerial control she has. Turnips also help a lot for messing up recoveries. Peach is a very hit-and-don't-get-hit character.

*Bowser: Bowser imo is best played by psyching out the opponent into thinking you'll attack and then using grab or side b to beat their shield or making them think you'll attack and punishing their attack with yours if you predict it. Bowser also has good tools for punishing opponents that attack his shield like his up b or forward tilt. Even though Bowser usually is forced to approach, he excels when he can make people attack him when he knows what's coming.

*Donkey Kong: Another of my top three characters. DK uses his back aerial a lot because it's so good compared to his other aerial approaches. DK is good for players that are good at spacing attacks. DK outranges all but a few of the characters in the game and his attacks usually come out faster. He has a lot if lag after the moves, however. This means that he can't throw out moves willy-nilly because good players will punish him easily. Like Bowser, DK benefits from being one step ahead and using his ridiculous reach to his advantage. He can also predict the opponent to get early KO's by either using super armor, long reach on his smash attacks, or attacking people at the end of their air dodge or spot dodge. He also has the ability to position opponents where he wants them by using his cargo throw.

Diddy Kong: Diddy is one of the only characters that can be played very well as a rushdown character, but still benefits on the defensive from having a throwable projectile like Peach does. Diddy can get more momentum than any character with his bananas. Having them on the stage or repeatedly throwing them at the opponent can make the opponent lose control of the match. If the opponent can use bananas against Diddy or not let Diddy pull them out, they can turn the tides, however. It's important to know that Diddy's moveset compliments banana uses more so than any other character.

*Yoshi: Yoshi's eggs are a great projectile and because of the range on Yoshi's pivot grabs, he already has two great tools. Yoshi's air speed is also very high and he has great jumps, as well as a good ground speed. Unfortunately, Yoshi isn't very good at getting out of pressure because some of his defensive options while in his shield are rather poor. Luckily, his shield is better in Smash 4 because he can now jump out of his shield. Yoshi is good for players that like to have a very mobile character without having to be small, light, and have short range. His egg throw, ability to grab while in the air with his neutral b, and good grab game are also very appealing!

Wario: I'll include Wario because I'll be very surprised if he's not in Smash 4. Wario might be very different in Smash 4, but in Brawl a lot of people liked him because he could attack in the air without much commitment. He was good at pressuring shields and running away. He's sort of like Jigglypuff in a way because of his great aerials and ability to change directions in the air on a dime! Wario also has some very good moves and an awesome command throw with his Bite attacks. Because of his Bite, air speed, and good aerials, I would say Wario is one of the best characters at messing with defensive players.

Link: Link is a projectile character that can use his projectiles like his bombs and boomerang to do interesting things. Link being able to throw his bombs gives him similar options to Peach and Diddy Kong. His boomerang is interesting too for obvious reasons. :p With all of Link's projectiles and his good range on most if his attacks, he can keep out opponents well, but has some good close range tools as well. His sword attacks have good range and are strong, while his kick attacks are fast and easy to land to get his opponents off of him or to attack his opponents after they get hit by a bomb.

Zelda: Zelda is great on the defensive because her smash attacks, are strong, have decent range and last a long time. Zelda is scary because she attacks like a heavy character, but without most of the drawbacks usually associated with those moves. At least in Brawl, Zelda didn't have a lot of attacks that were good in all situations. Most of her moves were pretty weird. While they weren't bad as stand-alone moves, lacking some conventional attacks made her not very good when she had to approach the opponent.

Toon Link: A lot like Link, but floatier, faster, and better at getting back to the stage. In Brawl, Link's fast falling speed and character model made him east to use exploits like chain grabbing on him and he was easy to gimp. Because of this being (I think) reconciled in the new game, Link might be closer to the same level as Toon Link.

Sheik: A very fast character that plays like a ninja. Sheik is mobile and has some of the fastest moves in the game. It is very easy to rack up damage with Sheik. In the new game, she looks even better because she has two great-looking new moves. Sheik could possibly be a rushdown character in the new game, especially because he needles can now be used to approach the opponent!

Kirby: Kirby is an easy character to learn because his moves aren't very complex and he can make it back to the stage easily. Kirby looks like he has even better throw moves in Smash 4 and his throws in Brawl were already very good. Kirby is a good air fighter because of his multiple jumps. He can also edgeguard well because he can stay off stage so long. Kirby has good power and speed.

*Dedede: Smash 4 Dedede could end up being very different because of the lack of chain grabs, but in Brawl Dedede had very long grab range while still coming out very fast. Multiple jumps and long range attacks made Dedede a threat in the air. His Inhale ability and fast fall speed combined meant Dedede could also beat shielding opponents by inhaling them! Dedede's main draw is his great range on his moves, as well as power, and multiple jump ability. It made Dedede a very interesting heavy weight. Dedede looks like he will play similarly in this game, but without as much of a reward from grabbing.

Samus: A projectile character that has very long range. Her ability to use her tether as an attack in the air makes her keep away game even deadlier. Samus is a fun character for players that like projectiles and keeping the opponent out. Her projectiles are rumored to not be as good in this game, but they still do what they're supposed to. She still seems to play defensively though as in the new game, they made her up b even better as an attack.

Zero Suit Samus: ZSS has some long range attacks and her attacks that aren't long range are very fast. ZSS is a super fast character with long range, which is something we don't see often. Zero Suit Samus doesn't do tons of damage on each hit, but she can use her paralyzer gun to string hits together and get tons of damage. I don't think we know exactly if the same paralyzer combos will carry over from Brawl, but I'm almost sure there will be an alternative if they don't.

Fox: Fox has fast attacks that string together easily. He is very fast on the ground and reaches high jumps very quickly. Fox is good for players that like to run very fast while pressuring opponents into leaving themselves open so that Fox can finally get a hit and get huge damage. Fox might be a rushdown character in this new game.

Pit: Pit is a projectile heavy character with one of the most practical projectiles in the game. Pit has the benefit of multiple jumps like Kirby does, so that's good for him. Pit's attacks are surprisingly devastating for as quick as they are. Pit operates a little differently in this game, but I'm guessing he will still be a good projectile character with some quick and powerful attacks at close range, good air combat ability, and good recovery.

Captain Falcon: It's hard to say what Falcon will be like in the new game. His design is very much like a rush down character, but Brawl's physics didn't support conventional rushdown characters. We'll have to see more of Captain Falcon to find out!

Olimar: Olimar has less Pikmin in this game, but from reports about Olimar, it doesn't really matter. Olimar is one of the best characters in the ground because he has the range of a character must larger than him! His Pikmin do a lot for him, including increase his grab range. Because of this Olimar can get grabs easily. Sort of like Yoshi. Olimar is another micro-manage character like Robin. Olimar players must make sure they are constantly at their best for whatever situation they are going into!

Marth: Marth is a character that excels if they are used by a player who has great spacing skills. Marth players must also know that there are a few times when it's best not to space attacks correctly or when the effort to hit with the tip of the attack wouldn't be worth it. Marth is relatively straight forward. Marth's attacks are quick and have long range, but have a bit of recoil time behind them, which makes spacing even more important. Marth doesn't have a whole lot of crazy tools, but the ones he has are simple and effective. His Dolphin Slash can get him out of danger easily. Marth is good for players that enjoy the spacing game a lot.

Ike: Ike has even longer range than Marth and even more recoil after his moves. However, his moves are super strong! Ike can out range almost every character in the game and with a simple prediction, he can KO characters like nothing. If his jab is anything in Smash 4 like it is in Brawl, he will still have a good option for players that get through the range of his sword. His low speed on both his attacks and run hurt him badly though.

*Pikachu: Pikachu is a mobility character. Pikachu can land safe hits very easily and then leave the opponent without getting damaged. Even while recovering, it is very hard to attack Pikachu because he can hit so quickly to deter you from him and then zip to the stage and out of harms way. Pikachu can string together attacks easily and use most of his very quick moves to pester the opponent. His Quick Attack Cancel was very important to his mobility in Brawl and it is possible to do it in the new game, but it is done differently from what I've heard. I don't like including advanced techniques in brief character descriptions, but it really is important to Pikachu in Smash. Pikachu's down b is also one of the coolest moves in the game and gives a reason to fear being high above Pikachu.

Lucario: Lucario is kind of like Marth and can use forward aerial a lot on the opponent because it's fast and easy to land. Lucario is a little hard to pin a description on, but he's kind of like a spacing/combo character. He can approach and defend pretty easily with his attacks. He's pretty decent at most things and is better at pressuring an opponent's shield than most characters. If you're thinking about trying Lucario, use his down aerial a lot in matches. If you think it's fun like I do, you might like Lucario.

Charizard: They kind of messed up Charizard in Brawl so I hope they do some cool things with him in the new game. Overall, I think he's supposed to be kind of like Donkey Kong. A surprisingly mobile heavy character with long reach and good grabs. I hope they do more with his air mobility and combat.

*Sonic: A very mobile character that excels in mobility going in only one direction. Sonic can zip around and do minor amounts of damage periodically while not getting hit until his opponents eventually have enough damage and get hit by a strong-enough Sonic move. Sonic is very hard to do damage to because his speed and ability to escape any situation he doesn't like with his dash speed and up b. Something about that makes me happy so I like playing Sonic.

I may have forgotten a million characters, but I don't want to go look at who's confirmed. Let me know if that helped and if there's any characters that look interesting from the description.

Last edited:

Reila

Alright, this was probably the best post I have read in this forum so far. Thanks a lot!

From what I can tell by my extensive Smash play time and by your post, I am not really into projectile/zoning characters. I have no idea how to properly "zone" and keeping the opponent far away from me doesn't sound fun either. So that possibly means characters like Palutena and Mega Man aren't for me, as well as Link, Toon Link, Samus, Olimar, Rosaluma and well, possibly any other projectile-based character. Funnily enough, I never enjoyed playing any of these veteran characters in previous games.

The characters I enjoy playing the most are the ones who are most of the time either close to the opponent or trying to get close, be it like Wario or Jigglypuff (pressuring the opponent and running away. seriously, I love doing some damage and running from the adversary before they can attack me, it feels so trollish) or like Sheik, who (at least when I am playing her) is 95% close/trying to get to the adversary. Zero Suit Samus' play style is fun as well, although I have a hard time properly spacing to use some of her moves (same goes to Marth), but I suppose this is something you can only do properly after tons of practice, right?

Bowser is also a character who I enjoy playing, possibly because I play grapplers most of the time in "2D fighters" and he seems to be closest we have to one in Smash (hopefully Ridley will have a few grab moves, if he is in Smash), plus his up special and up smash are extremely satisfying to use. Peach is probably my most played character, but I rarely make use of her aerial attributes, so I am playing her totally wrong. Another one I enjoy playing is Wolf, but does he fall in the same category as Fox? Because unlike Wolf, I don't really like playing Fox. Pikachu is fun, VERY fun, but as Peach I am sure I am always playing him wrong. Last but not least, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are fun characters to use as well (Captain Falcon specially, since he is much faster and I like fast characters).

So, as far as newcomers are concerned, I think I may potentially enjoy Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja and Pac-Man. Perhaps Robin as well and Lucina, who is basically Marth and I enjoy Marth. Little Mac could be fun, but honestly, I enjoy aerial games too much to play a character who have to be in the ground for most of the time. These plus a few veterans like Bowser, Sheik, ZSS and Wario are some of the characters I will try as soon as I put my hands in Smash 3DS.

In short, you post definitely helped me a lot in pinpointing which kind of character I like to play the most!

Veggi

Smash Champion
Alright, this was probably the best post I have read in this forum so far. Thanks a lot!

From what I can tell by my extensive Smash play time and by your post, I am not really into projectile/zoning characters. I have no idea how to properly "zone" and keeping the opponent far away from me doesn't sound fun either. So that possibly means characters like Palutena and Mega Man aren't for me, as well as Link, Toon Link, Samus, Olimar, Rosaluma and well, possibly any other projectile-based character. Funnily enough, I never enjoyed playing any of these veteran characters in previous games.

The characters I enjoy playing the most are the ones who are most of the time either close to the opponent or trying to get close, be it like Wario or Jigglypuff (pressuring the opponent and running away. seriously, I love doing some damage and running from the adversary before they can attack me, it feels so trollish) or like Sheik, who (at least when I am playing her) is 95% close/trying to get to the adversary. Zero Suit Samus' play style is fun as well, although I have a hard time properly spacing to use some of her moves (same goes to Marth), but I suppose this is something you can only do properly after tons of practice, right?

Bowser is also a character who I enjoy playing, possibly because I play grapplers most of the time in "2D fighters" and he seems to be closest we have to one in Smash (hopefully Ridley will have a few grab moves, if he is in Smash), plus his up special and up smash are extremely satisfying to use. Peach is probably my most played character, but I rarely make use of her aerial attributes, so I am playing her totally wrong. Another one I enjoy playing is Wolf, but does he fall in the same category as Fox? Because unlike Wolf, I don't really like playing Fox. Pikachu is fun, VERY fun, but as Peach I am sure I am always playing him wrong. Last but not least, Captain Falcon and Ganondorf are fun characters to use as well (Captain Falcon specially, since he is much faster and I like fast characters).

So, as far as newcomers are concerned, I think I may potentially enjoy Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja and Pac-Man. Perhaps Robin as well and Lucina, who is basically Marth and I enjoy Marth. Little Mac could be fun, but honestly, I enjoy aerial games too much to play a character who have to be in the ground for most of the time. These plus a few veterans like Bowser, Sheik, ZSS and Wario are some of the characters I will try as soon as I put my hands in Smash 3DS.

In short, you post definitely helped me a lot in pinpointing which kind of character I like to play the most!
Oh wow, I'm happy you liked it so much! :)

From what it sounds like, you'd really enjoy Wario. Wario attacks and backs away, uses mostly aerials, has tools to get throws easily, one of the best command throws (at least in Brawl), and is very fast (but only in the air). He also hasn't been confirmed yet, but enough has pointed to him being playable for me to just assume he is.

Wolf isn't much like Fox at all other than his recovery, surprisingly. Wolf is kind of similar to Marth as far as his neutral game goes, but he replaces fair with bair and Wolf has a blaster he can throw in to mix up his opponent's expectations. Wolf has a faster air speed than Fox, but he can't change direction in the air easily. His reflector is also used to beat out other moves because Wolf's down b grants him invincibility.

I think you might like Yoshi too from what you listed. Sheik could work within everything you listed. As far as new characters, Wii Fit Trainer, and Greninja might be fun!

Reila

Can you share your thoughts on Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers and Ivysaur, @ Veggi Veggi ?

Last edited:

Veggi

Smash Champion
Can you share your thoughts on Ness, Lucas, Ice Climbers and Ivysaur, @ Veggi Veggi ?
Ness is definitely a very aerial oriented character. His fair is great for spacing because it hits so many times. Because Ness has such a good second jump, he can escape from situations easily. This makes him kind of weird because he attacks by going up and down instead of left and right. His surprisingly safe down aerial compliments that. I think you would like him. PK Fire is more like an approach tool to get close range momentum going or attack after an opponent is knocked a little bit ahead of him. PK Thunder is usually used when the opponent is in a spot where it wouldn't be a good idea for Ness to go after them anyway, like way up in the sky or way under the stage. Because of this, PK Fire and PK Thunder aren't used like regular projectiles.

Lucas' projectiles are used more conventionally and he's overall a more conventional character. Lucas' attacks are fast, don't have much lag, and hit pretty far in relation to his body size. Lucas can also move left and right in the air more quickly. This means he can attack the opponent's shield pretty directly with aerials or ground moves and not get punished for it. Lucas' PK Thunder isn't as practical, which is kind of unfortunate. For getting KO's, Lucas doesn't have any option as consistent as Ness' amazing back throw, but Lucas has a lot of moves that are easy to KO with and then an up smash that can kill early with a good prediction.

Ivysaur in Brawl has to use ranged moves to its advantages because most of its moves are really bad. From my experience playing the character I pretty much only wanted to spam back aerial and Razor Leaf, then hope I could get an opponent with pivot grab. I mostly only did these things because I felt like if I did something else I would get beaten very easily. It's hard to say what Ivysaur would be like in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Reila

Thanks again! Ness was my main in the original Smash and I really enjoyed him back then.

Veggi

Smash Champion
What characters do you think Villager will play well on a team with? I think that Villager will do best on a team with characters that have good items or good projectiles Villager can hold. Villager might also be good with characters that can disrupt the match easily and get enemies off of Villager's back.

Villager would be good at helping Diddy take back his bananas from enemies and be able to use them himself. Diddy's side special is also very disruptive.

Pit can disrupt with his arrows and aim them to go around the tree. One customization of his arrow would go through the tree, but it would damage it, unfortunately.

Zelda could probably send Din's fire through the tree without hurting it and give Villager a powerful projectile.

Luma might have an application if he is set out past the tree, but I doubt it would work well in practice.

Two Villagers would probably work well because tree is affected by Pocket.

Most projectiles that can be controlled or go diagonally downward would probably be good on a team with Villager.

Last edited:
Top Bottom