• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Ask Anyone Frame Things Thread

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Here's a whole situation, but I'm sure it's pretty simple for you guys:

-Fox jumps and airdodges on the first frame he can
-Fox airdodges in a certain direction/height so that he lands immediately when the airdodge invincibility ends
-Fox lands, jumps on the first frame he can and repeats

What percentage of invincibility frames does this give Fox?

Also, would it be more beneficial (for invincibility, not getting hit, etc) if there was an immediate shine and an immediate jump out of shine when he lands instead of without?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Not sure about what the percentage would be, but I'm pretty sure triangle jumping has 10 frames of landing lag just like WDing.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Hopefully you're still up for answering questions. ^_^

First of all, I noticed the file "Ledge_frames_info.txt" is missing from SDM's site. Anybody know what that is or have it?

Anyways....
SuperDoodleMan mentions "noninterruptible moves".

Apparently these are mostly aerial B moves (is it only B moves? and is it true of all of them?). So is the difference between these two terms in the actions that you can cancel with?

Under IASA he says, "You can do an attack, jump, dash, turn, crouch, or shield on the IASA frame. You can interrupt with B moves on the ground only." What is the list of actions for SAF? Where do the IASA frames and SAF frames actually differ (I mean, where are some moves where they're actually different frames)? The moves I've compared them on so far are the same.

so wait, can i cancel marth's dtilt into shield? i thought you had to walk forward before being able to shield as well. can i queue the shield by just holding the shield button or do I have to press shield during the IASA frames.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

-Fox airdodges in a certain direction/height so that he lands immediately when the airdodge invincibility ends

Also, would it be more beneficial (for invincibility, not getting hit, etc) if there was an immediate shine and an immediate jump out of shine when he lands instead of without?
He'd be invincible for about 40% of the time if that were possible. I don't think it is though. You'd have to be fully horizontal to not immediately slide when you air dodge.

No.
so wait, can i cancel marth's dtilt into shield? i thought you had to walk forward before being able to shield as well. can i queue the shield by just holding the shield button or do I have to press shield during the IASA frames.
You can't. You have to walk for 1 frame then hold shield to buffer it. So just hold forward & shield during Dtilt and you'll shield as soon as you can.

ajp_anton

Smash Lord

When airdodging on the first frame, you either don't land at all (angle >= 0) or you land on the first frame (angle < 0). You'd have to spend one extra frame after the jump so you'd actually get an airdodge before landing.
Shine adds just one frame of invincibility afaik, but it takes a few frames until you can jump out of it, so most likely not worth it.

[% of invincibility] = [# of invincibility frames] / ( [# of airdodge frames before invincibility] + [# of invincibility frames] + [landing (9-10?)] + [jump (3?)] + 1 )

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Maybe I don't understand how shine works, then? I thought you could cancel it on the frame after the hitbox, since it's only one frame?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Oh. So when the reflector frames come out, not on the hitbox. Well then, color me learned. Thanks.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Are the total number of frames of an initial dash animation the same across the cast, or are they character-dependent?

• If the same: how many frames is it before the initial dash ends and the running animation begins (in which a pivot is no longer recognized)?
  • If character-dependent: how many frames is each character's initial dash animation?
You can pretty much see that I'm assuming you are able to pivot at any point within the initial dash; feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Are the turn-around animations the same frame-length for the entire cast, or do these vary as well?

How may frames must one wait before they can attack out of a wavedash?

=

Trying to figure out if pivoting is actually relevant or not...

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Character Dependent.

Code:
Character ..Tot Min Run
------------------------
Bowser .... 29  20  14
Capt Falcon 28  20  16
DK ........ 30  20  16
Dr Mario .. 21  20  11
Falco ..... 21  20  12
Fox ....... 21  20  12
G&W ....... 17  17   9
Ganon ..... 28  20  16
ICs ....... 21  20  14
Jiggs ..... 23  20  13
Kirby ..... 23  20  13
Link ...... 30  20  13
Luigi ..... 21  20  11
Mario ..... 21  20  11
Marth ..... 27  20  16
Mewtwo .... 29  20  19
Ness ...... 25  20  14
Peach ..... 21  20  16
Pichu ..... 22  20  14
Pikachu ... 22  20  14
Roy ....... 27  20  16
Samus ..... 22  20   9
Sheik ..... 21  20   8
Y Link .... 30  20  13
Yoshi ..... 26  20  14
Zelda ..... 22  20  16
Tot is animation length, Min is minimum frames you need to go before you can redash, and Run is frame you transition into run if you continue to hold forward.

Not my list; Magus made it. I was working on one then wondered if he had made one already and then love him because he saved me work. <3

You can pivot at any point within the initial dash starting frame 4.

I tested a few animations and Mewtwo's is 15 frames while the other 5ish chars I tested were 11 frames, but you can act as early as frame 2 with everyone as far as I know so it shouldn't be relevant for pivoting.

Wavedash is different depending on who you are; it's jumpstart + 10 frames. http://www.angelfire.com/games5/superdoodleman/Frames_-_Jumps.xls Subtract 1 from the "1st air frame" column for whatever character you want.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
When does dash animation begin, or is that also character dependent? I don't think that you have that in the chart. More specifically, Peach's dash animation.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
I tested a few animations and Mewtwo's is 15 frames while the other 5ish chars I tested were 11 frames, but you can act as early as frame 2 with everyone as far as I know so it shouldn't be relevant for pivoting.
(This is for turn-arounds, I'm assuming.) So what you're saying is that the game recognizes you as fully turned--and will perform your next move facing the opposite direction--after only two frames? @_@ That's pretty sick.

So if I have this right, you can execute a move in the opposite direction you start dashing in after 6 frames (4 before the pivot and 2 for the turn-around animation associated with the pivot)? Granted, pivoting that early sorta defeats the purpose of the initial dash; so with Fox for example, anything from, say, 18-26 frames seems reasonable (12+6 to 20+6) in order to gain respectable distance.

I can't download the independent jumpstart data right now, but I can assume it would only be a handful (~4) frames on average. Adding 10 to make a wavedash seems to suggest wavedashing a fixed distance is faster than pivoting the same fixed distance... idk if I agree with this based on my experiences, so someone please reassure my assessment. D=

=

I hope they add even obscure animations such as what you listed to each character's gif compilation. Thanks again, SB. =]

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
So then what could it be that makes dash attacking with Peach more difficult, and more likely to get you an ftilt instead, than with other characters?

NNID
dansalvato
So then what could it be that makes dash attacking with Peach more difficult, and more likely to get you an ftilt instead, than with other characters?
If you're pushing the stick hard enough to dash, then you're also pushing it hard enough to perform a smash attack. If an ftilt is coming out then you're probably just not pressing the stick hard enough to dash. Either that or you're trying to dash before she lands or something, negating the initial "smash" motion of the stick and bringing her to a walk.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You can Fsmash during the first 3 frames of dash if done forward. Your original question didn't really help.. it doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't an animation for dash start frame 1 of the dash action? lol. Anyway there shouldn't be anything special about Peach that causes more accidental Ftilts than usual.

Except like
the gayness of the player
:troll:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
how safe is each hit of each direction of roy's side-b? assuming it hits first frame possible

so

>
>>
>^
>>^
>>v
>>>
>>>>
>>>^
>>>v

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
You can Fsmash during the first 3 frames of dash if done forward. Your original question didn't really help.. it doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't an animation for dash start frame 1 of the dash action? lol. Anyway there shouldn't be anything special about Peach that causes more accidental Ftilts than usual.

Except like
the gayness of the player
:troll:
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere once that Ftilt can be buffered longer than most moves. I have no idea why and it's been a while, but you should test Ftilt to be sure imo.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
I might be phrasing it incorrectly, but it was something like buffering for that move. Something about reading tilt forward vs fully pressed forward on the stick is weird for Peach in this game I think. Like I said, it's been a while since I read the information, and I also didn't save it lol.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It sounds like you're just talking about how if you input a dash on the stick during landing lag you don't actually dash, meaning you can easily ftilt. I just don't get how that would be easier with Peach than anyone else (and it's certainly not a buffer because that'd mean you could hit tilt+A and it would do it asap out of lag).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Magus420 (just in case you namesearch) should look into it and see if it has some validity.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ShroudedOne: These accidental Ftilts while trying to dash attack, would they happen to be from trying to do a dash back dash attack?

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
How does wiggling out of hitstun work? how early can you do it? how many times does one need to input back and forth on the control stick, and how many frames can one do it in?

Bones0

Smash Legend
You can't wiggle out during hit stun. It only deals with tumble, and it only takes one iteration of left to right to straighten yourself.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Only air-dodge. Anything else can be done during tumble.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
There is no such time-frame. Frame 1 of tumble (Frame after hitstun ends) you can do things other than airdodge.

Blu

Smash Apprentice
Oh, cool. Now that I think about it, that was kind of a dumb question. >.>

Tumble also has no affect on a character's aerial DI when falling, does it? After survival DI has been inputted and you're heading back to the stage, I mean.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Oh, cool. Now that I think about it, that was kind of a dumb question. >.>

Tumble also has no affect on a character's aerial DI when falling, does it? After survival DI has been inputted and you're heading back to the stage, I mean.
I just tested with Jiggs using Motion Sensors and it doesn't seem like it. She drifts at the same angle whether she's in tumble or not.

ShineSpikeOverpowered

Smash Rookie
Hello Strong Bad greetings from Russia =). Russian star Fox player Prostitute Love want to know how many of multishine can be performed in one second. Cause he think he might have record xD.

:phone:

Top Bottom