• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Ask ChiboSempai Thread: Ask All Of Your Digital Video Related Questions Here

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Hey everyone, I opened this thread for one main purpose, to help all of you get the best with your digital media (preferably smash related lol). I have extensive experience with pretty much all kinds of digital media (except with recording from PAL TVs... sorry), and I'm ready to help spread my knowledge to you. Need to find a good video encoder to capture some smash matches? Already have an encoder and want to find a good program that will capture/convert videos well? Do you want to know the difference between DivX, WMV, MPG, or others? I won't even just answer software questions as I'll also help you find out what cables you need or the best way to setup a recording setup. Ask away!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let me ask you this: Is it a good idea to invest in a TV Tuner to get my footage and then capture that footage with Virtual Dub Mod? Also, where would I plug the TV Tuner in and how can I get it to record the footage?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Let me ask you this: Is it a good idea to invest in a TV Tuner to get my footage and then capture that footage with Virtual Dub Mod? Also, where would I plug the TV Tuner in and how can I get it to record the footage?
Ok first you have to know that there are two different types of hardware for getting footage, there are TV Tuners and Capture Cards. TV Tuners are generally meant for just plugging in cable and being able to watch cable TV on it. Even though it is meant for cable, you can sort of trick it to record game consoles. You can either use an RF adapter for your Cube/Wii (I don't think they sell Wii ones), or hook your system into a VCR, and connect the VCR into your TV Tuner. The quality is nice, and you get the added TV functionality (which I had needed at the time since the cable port on my TV is broken), but it's a pain because of needing special wires, or even a full VCR. Also, TV Tuners have poor compatibility, and most likely won't work with Virtual Dub Mod.

I recently invested in a capture card which definitely works much better. Capture cards are normally meant for capturing any type of A/V from devices normally using the standard composite (yellow red white) cords. Capture cards have very high compatibility, and should work with any standard program you want to use, such as VDub Mod (I personally prefer Windows Media Encoder). The only problem you will run into is recording the audio. Even though the capture cards do have red and white audio ports on them, most programs (such as VDub Mod and Win Media Encoder) aren't able to record audio from these sources, but the video will work fine. The audio however will work fine when you record with the program that comes bundled with the hardware. To get around the problem and have the audio record fine in any program you want, you can buy a cable that has male red and white plugs on one end, and a small headphone like plug on the other end. (Example. but don't worry, you can get them as cheap as like $4, just not the Monster brand). You can plug this cable from the audio of your game system into the microphone port on your computer and record the sound through there. If you need additional information on hooking it up, just ask.

For connections, it depends on if you have a desktop or laptop. For desktops, you can get internal PCI capture cards or internal TV tuners. You can also get USB ones, which I say are the best because you can also connect them to laptops or to a differ computer easily if you want to use it at a friends house, or on a future laptop you may purchase. There are also a couple laptop only options such as expresscards (this was the type of TV Tuner I had btw).

Ok that was a long post, and I guess a lot of it wasn't needed lol. Get a USB Capture Card, they are awesome. If you don't mind the money, I highly recommend this device: LINK

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Thank you so much. I think I'll get that but could you explain to me how you set your Pinnacle up and capture the footage? BTW, I have a desktop computer.

I really want my first Brawl AMV to perfect as possible. If you're interested, I'll tell you what I have in mind.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
ok since im at work and dont have all the programs in front of me to describe step by step, i'll post that later, but it uses all free programs.

but if your going to go for that studio movie box pro, and want the best quality, you will also need that audio cable i described in my last post, and two of these:
You can get them a little cheaper, as you don't need such an extravagant brand. Essentially this is how it will be setup: LINK
GameCube plugs into studio move box inputs
the two splitters plug into the audio outputs on the movie box. the headphone port to composite cables go from your desktops line-in audio port (or microphone if u dont have a line in port) to one end of each of the splitters connected to the movie box. Then run a standard composite cable from the video out and the two remaining open splitter ports to your TV. pretty much your cube is feeding video to the movie box, which is also outputting the video to your TV to well, play the game, and outputting the audio to your computer to record and your TV to listen to. normally you wouldnt need the splitters if you use the program that pinnacle packs with the movie box, but I find windows media encoder much easier to work with, with better video quality, its just that it can only record audio from the line-in/microphone port. its a small annoyance that pays off in the end with high quality video. later tonight or sometime soon il walk you through the process in windows media encoder.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
sry for the double post, but b4 u get the movie box, make sure u can run it on ur computer. do you have the specs for your computer?
whats your processor, ram, hard drive space free (and total space), and if you have USB 2.0 (if your computer has been made in the past 6 years you should lol)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Is there any way you know of at all to record a 480p60 source through component?
Unfortunately no, and believe me I wish I did. When I was looking to buy a capture card about a month ago I looked all over for one that accepted component sources, but found nothing. The closest thing I could find were ones integrated into high end video cards for desktops, but I didn't even both looking into it because of price and because I needed something external for my laptop. There's obviously very high end equipment that can do it, but I don't know where to even buy that sort of stuff.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
sry for the double post, but b4 u get the movie box, make sure u can run it on ur computer. do you have the specs for your computer?
whats your processor, ram, hard drive space free (and total space), and if you have USB 2.0 (if your computer has been made in the past 6 years you should lol)
I don't know the specs are but it's a Dell I got for Christmas in 2004. It has 2.0 USB ports, high speed internet, and can play Doom 3.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I don't know the specs are but it's a Dell I got for Christmas in 2004. It has 2.0 USB ports, high speed internet, and can play Doom 3.
Ok your computer is powerful enough. How much hard drive space do you have? Just highlight your C drive in My Computer and it should tell you your free space on the left side.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Is there any way you know of at all to record a 480p60 source through component?
I did a little more research, and it seems like one of the most affordable options for anything in progressive scans is the Holo3D II

I can't find a product page anywhere for it, but it seems to cost about $900. Stick with interlaced lol.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I have a 79.1 gig hardrive with 39.4 gigs available. BTW, I am using a Wii for this, particularly with Brawl but I'll have Metroid as my guinea pig. Also, do you think it's best that I store all the Brawl cutscenes and intro onto a DVD and then rip it whenever I need them?

I have another to state that might be importent: I have Sony Vegas 6 (which was legally obtained).

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
almost 40gb free is fine. brawl cutscenes you might want to put to a dvd, but it wont hurt too much if u dont. you could always buy another hard drive down the road if you need to. you wont need vegas to capture the video, but if you want to edit with it you can (i just personally use windows movie maker 2 for simplicity or adobe premiere pro 2 for pro stuff)

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
Are there any good dvd ripping programs out there or should I just capture all my clips from the dvd recorder itself? I've been lookin around for a program but I still can't find a good one.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Are there any good dvd ripping programs out there or should I just capture all my clips from the dvd recorder itself? I've been lookin around for a program but I still can't find a good one.
There's DVD Decryptor. You can get it here and it comes with more. When you download this, I recommend not installing ffdshow as it makes your computer act up.

BTW, let me know when the guide is set up. I might be going back to Best Buy soon after yesterday.

UnChienAndalousa

Smash Apprentice
So my friend and I recorded a few matches using a digital camera yesterday. There were large black bands that moved across the screen. I've seen these in videos I've watched and... what are they? And... how can I eliminate them? Is that even possible?

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
How do I record Audio with Audio In & Out plugs on my Capture Card? I recently bought a 3.5mm headphone jack with Red and White cables on it. I plugged the headphone end in the Audio In slot and the red and white audio cables in thier slots on the VCR...Still no sound.
What am I doing wrong?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So my friend and I recorded a few matches using a digital camera yesterday. There were large black bands that moved across the screen. I've seen these in videos I've watched and... what are they? And... how can I eliminate them? Is that even possible?
Ok so you had a camera recording a TV? Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the black lines, as that happens when you record any crt tv with a camera. Rarely you can get your camera at a certain angle with so you won't get the black lines too bad, but it's normally unavoidable. the only way you can record a TV with a camera is if the TV is either LCD, plasma, or a projection TV. you could also record the image a projector puts on a way. but any crt source, no can do.

How do I record Audio with Audio In & Out plugs on my Capture Card? I recently bought a 3.5mm headphone jack with Red and White cables on it. I plugged the headphone end in the Audio In slot and the red and white audio cables in thier slots on the VCR...Still no sound.
What am I doing wrong?
Ok it's either a hardware or software problem. For hardware, just make sure the cord is plugged into audio in on your computer, and audio out on your vcr, but im guessing you already have that setup correctly. different programs use different options for setting up your audio recording, so first i need you to tell me which program your trying to record with.

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Ok it's either a hardware or software problem. For hardware, just make sure the cord is plugged into audio in on your computer, and audio out on your vcr, but im guessing you already have that setup correctly. different programs use different options for setting up your audio recording, so first i need you to tell me which program your trying to record with.
Intervideo WinDVR3

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Intervideo WinDVR3
Ok I'll be honest, but I've never heard of that program before lol, however, most programs act the same. Just find the options for choosing which device your recording from. Choose your sound card, then under like an advanced options for it you should see a drop down box for where your recording from your sound card with options like line-in, microphone, or wave-out mix. choose line-in and you should be good to go (unless you have it plugged into the mic port).

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
Ok I'll be honest, but I've never heard of that program before lol, however, most programs act the same. Just find the options for choosing which device your recording from. Choose your sound card, then under like an advanced options for it you should see a drop down box for where your recording from your sound card with options like line-in, microphone, or wave-out mix. choose line-in and you should be good to go.
That's pretty much what we've done, but I'll take another look at it next time I go over.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm sorry if I'm a pest but do you have that step by step guide made for me yet? BTW, does it make any differnce that I'm using a Wii and that my computer and my Wii are a good distance apart?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm sorry if I'm a pest but do you have that step by step guide made for me yet? BTW, does it make any differnce that I'm using a Wii and that my computer and my Wii are a good distance apart?
You just wanted to know which program to use (Windows Media Encoder) and how to set it up to record with the Pinnacle Movie Box right? I'm at work now which doesn't have windows media encoder on it now, so I'll write it up sometime tonight at my home computer.

Is it possible to record from a VCR directly to a PC with a 6600 Nvidia Geforce card?
It's not dependent on your video card, and instead relies on a capture card. There are plenty of devices which you can use, as I recommend the Pinnacle Movie Box, though it's sort of expensive. It seems people have had good experience with the Game Bridge, but I've never tried it. I may look into it one of these days. I think I'm just going to write a full guide on the process later today, so if I do write one, it will explain on capturing video from your VCR/Cube and so on. I'll post the link here if I write it.

Desh.

Smash Lord
hey ...i have a dvd player/recorder all in one thing...and i plug in my gc...and then i click record on my dvd player...but when it records the dvd...its records...my CABLE and not my video 3 input wich im playing gc on...how can i make it so it wont record cable and will record my matches?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
hey ...i have a dvd player/recorder all in one thing...and i plug in my gc...and then i click record on my dvd player...but when it records the dvd...its records...my CABLE and not my video 3 input wich im playing gc on...how can i make it so it wont record cable and will record my matches?
I've never actually used a standalone DVD recorder before, but to my knowledge they work the same way as VCRs. Just make sure you have your Cube/Wii plugged into your DVD Recorder, then you DVD Recorder to your TV. Have your TV's channel set to the correct input to view your DVD recorder, then your DVD recorder set to the right input to view your game, and try recording. If that doesn't work, then it probably isn't able to record from AV sources. They should be able to, but it's a possibility that some cheaper models won't be able to.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You just wanted to know which program to use (Windows Media Encoder) and how to set it up to record with the Pinnacle Movie Box right? I'm at work now which doesn't have windows media encoder on it now, so I'll write it up sometime tonight at my home computer.
Yeah, you're right with both of those. I definitely appreciate your time.

Desh.

Smash Lord
I've never actually used a standalone DVD recorder before, but to my knowledge they work the same way as VCRs. Just make sure you have your Cube/Wii plugged into your DVD Recorder, then you DVD Recorder to your TV. Have your TV's channel set to the correct input to view your DVD recorder, then your DVD recorder set to the right input to view your game, and try recording. If that doesn't work, then it probably isn't able to record from AV sources. They should be able to, but it's a possibility that some cheaper models won't be able to.
ok thanks =D it recorded to my dvd!!! but now my laptop wont read the dvd can let me copy the vids :S

brawlpro

Smash Master
Florissant, St. Louis, MO Tech Skill: Over 9000
Would a regular capture card work with a laptop? Because i want one and a laptop is all i have :-x

Also w/ a capture card do I have to take my laptop with me wherever I wanna record or use someone else's computer like i had to do with a gamebridge?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
sorry, i was just wondering if i could get some more technical information on what you get when you buy better cables..i don't really understand why one cable would be 40 dollars and one 4 dollars...i understand that it probably has more audio lines to carry sound..but i don't know how much difference that makes...is a 4 dollar cable going to annoy me to listen to? i would probably overwrite the smash brothers sounds anyways if i was going to youtube post it...music sounds better.

also i was wondering what the advantages to buying that expensive setup would be over just buying that gamebridge people recommend that is so cheap.

i heard some cables send signals slow and lag or something? i just don't want to buy something and then find out i can't use it cause it makes me lag..

i'm willing to spend 20-100 dollars i guess..but i'm not sure i should burn 100 dollars since i dno't usually capture video..like game capturing may be all i do with it for the next year or so..and if i wanted something nicer then i could just go out and buy one

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Just a simple question, but would "Mono" and "Stereo" have effect on the Audio of a gaming system when you're recording off it?

Pyrostormer

Smash Lord
All right, so when i had a look at it, everything is how it should be, BUT IT STILL DOESN'T WORK. What do you think? Is it my capture card, the sound drivers, or what!?

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Got any experience with iLO DVD recorders? I've got a DVDR05 and can't get it to work...got it hooked up right (I think)...

I can't get the menu to show up on the TV, and it's really starting to bug me... HALP!

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
I managed to record my Smash footage on video, but how do I get that to my computer? I do have a Capture Card but I can't think of any way to transfer it over.

D

Deleted member

can i capture videos with a tv tuner?

i have a legacy video capture device. where do i get software to record matches?

ALZAUARTIS

Smash Cadet
I managed to put my vids in my computer but i cant post them to youtube cause of very large size[a 3 minute video is 132MB}what can i do to post them on youtube?

Kiyoru

Smash Cadet
I managed to put my vids in my computer but i cant post them to youtube cause of very large size[a 3 minute video is 132MB}what can i do to post them on youtube?
Do you use Windows? If so, you should have Windows Move Maker. Open MovieMaker, Import your video to collections by clicking File > Import Into Collections or alternatively, just press CTRL + I. Then drag them into the timeline and simply click File > Save Movie File..

Chris7x

Smash Cadet
I use this mpeg editor called Ulead VideoStudio 11 to edit my videos. There's two problems with it though:

1. when combining multiple clips, in transition from one clip to another is shows this green pixelization.
2. It is on trial, so I need a good alternative.

Heres an example of that green pixel problem Click

I know such a thing as windows movie maker exist, but when I converted my mpegs to wma it turned out fine. But when I use wmm to edit it and such, the final video is really compressed and small. This can probably be fixed by changing the settings and lowering compression but I looked hard and couldn't find any setting that did that. Heres what one of my wmm vids look like. Click Compare that to my other videos (which are mpegs) its much smaller. I'm sorry if I'm asking too much but can anyone help me with my problems? Thanks

FrozenButter

Smash Cadet
I just recently got a Dazzle Video Creator thing and I am lost from here. Also, keep in mind that I suck when using stuff like this so please bare with me.
There are 4 ports or w/e (a slot for the red, white and yellow wire and then a black plug for something else) on the Dazzle and attached to it is a USB plug.
My question is. What do I do from here? I dont know what goes where and how to even get my games into the computer at all. If anyone can help me out that would be FABULOUS! If you have no clue what Im taklin about then just say so and Ill try to help you out so I can get helped out :_). Help is very much appreciated. When you give me intructions, can you dumb them down about 10 notches so I understand? I dont know what the wires are called and all that jazz.

K10

Smash Apprentice
I record my smash videos through VCR and play them back through it while capturing on my capture card. I capture at the highest quality possible for windows movie maker, and I save the movie files at the highest quality possible. I watch my videos and they are SOMETIMES hard to keep up with. I see other videos running as smoothly as possible. Should I use something else to capture/export them? I just want my videos to look better.

Top Bottom