• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official ask Roy Boards Thread (Roy Tactical Discussion.)

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
I personally don't like Dsmash unless if the opponent could be either side, as a more defensive measuere. Usmash is better at stages with lower ceiling I suppose (like FoD and KJ64), and racks up decent damage. at certain angles the Usmash can spike, but i wouldn't try it in a competitive match.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Powershielding lasers is the only consistent way to shut down SHL approach =/
G@be tells me that wavedashing backwards out of shield after blocking the laser works nicely, but I can never really get it to work.

If the falco isn't too amazing at aiming the lasers, keep low. Running animation has roy ducked down pretty low, so a suprise running attack can sometimes undercut an SHL. Dtilt has roy ducked low too, just don't try it too often; dair will tear your dtilt a new one.

Falco's recovery bites, so go for lots of dtilt -> fsmash in hopes of a quick gimp. Down throw -> dtilt tech chase works pretty nicely.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
^yah, what sethlon said. I like to grab a lot to try to chaingrab or set up for SHFFLs. While this should be said against any character up against Roy, don't let Falco grab you. this could be heavily in your way or the Falco's, so keep on offense. this is a good video of Roy vs. Falco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0H_mVEo21E

mom7

Smash Cadet
yo i was askin my self some more question

You know when an opponent is recovering, people always say to use the B(i dont remember the name Blazzer??) but does it always work even if the opponent sweatspot the ledge.

Also with falco, can you juggle him with the utilt and then cantinue to juggle?? can you???

last but not least , last night before sleepin, i have think about roy's dair and trying to find usuable uses for it and i came with this idea, can you use it on fox's side b(you know the flashy thing) ???

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
1) the flare blade (Blazer is up-B) is useful because it goes slightly downward if you're boarding the edge (meaning having part of Roy's body off the edge. make sure not to fall on dreamland!). you can use it against fox/falco's side B, as seen at the Masashi vid above, but make sure to time it. remember, you want to hit every one of Roys moves with the middle of your blade for more damage, except the flare blade, which is better at the tip. plus, it's the tip that goes downward.

2) the Utilt is an extremely bad and almost useless move had it not been that you can link it in with chaingrabbing and it's, unfortunately, one of Roy's faster moves ( I suppose it's better then the jab or Ftilt). it's definitely faster then the Usmash, but I like to use the Usmash because it might spike, setting up unexpected combos. You can't juggle with it. you can, however, use SHFFLed Uairs.

3) Fox/falco's side B would hit before the dair, so I wouldn't try. as i stated earlier, you can use flare blade. if you try to edgehog, which can works since they always sweetspot the side-B, then make sure to press R or L right before they hit you. the computer thinks you're still on the edge.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
here's a question.

you guys should record some **** roy combos for my video

oh that wasn't a question?

my bad.

what is you guys should record some **** roy combos for my video

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I can't get the one that I showed you earlier gimpy with a better frame rate, would you care if I just replicated it? I doubt I'll ever do something that cool again

if you say no I'll just upload a bunch of games that have some kickass combos.

starting with my 3x dash attack>d tilt> F smash edgeguard when they kept teching and dropping

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
3x dash attack dtilt fsmash doesn't sound very impressive lol

what did you record that other combo with?

i'd rather not have a setup combo in the video lol

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
3x dash attack dtilt fsmash doesn't sound very impressive lol

what did you record that other combo with?

i'd rather not have a setup combo in the video lol
yeah but it was funny to watch over and over again

it didn't matter what I recorded it with, I've tried everything. its my broken laptop. I tried pinnalcle onit yesterday and it dropped some 3000 frames

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
what i'm asking you is

do you have the footage on your computer already in this horrible quality as a base- or was it (hopefully) recorded onto a vhs tape or something? OR is it on your computer raw in decent quality but somehow converting it is causing a mass drop in frames?

if the raw file is like this theres no way to magically improve it

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
what i'm asking you is

do you have the footage on your computer already in this horrible quality as a base- or was it (hopefully) recorded onto a vhs tape or something? OR is it on your computer raw in decent quality but somehow converting it is causing a mass drop in frames?

if the raw file is like this theres no way to magically improve it
my bad, I guess I really didn't answer you. the raw file is like this on my laptop. no way to improve it.

but don't worry I can actually record some good clear games now that I have a new computer

mom7

Smash Cadet
lol i got some more questions.

Can i know what are the weak and good ponts about roy'gameplay? Because if i know them maybe i can beacome better.

I know that the timing for the air dodge i different for each characters based on the number of frames in their jump. I know that fox as 4 frames, luigi 5, ganon 7, and bowser 9. So what is it for roy? it aint written in the game faqs and i think its a usefull thing to know.

What are the stages that are good for Roy and the stages that are bad for roy?and why? (i asked this question before but i didnt get an answer.)

My last question is some how tricky. I would like to know if someone know at what angle the spike of roy's usmash come out? Does it work against certain chars too?

thanks for answering my newbish questions

cheer

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
lol, this thread has (had) a glitched tenth page

anyway

weakpoints...hmmm...EVERYTHING! 1) bad aerials 2) no damagers 3) no combos 4) a lot of lag 5) can really only kill sideways, not upward or spiking 6) bad approaches 6) no projectile 7) bad matchups...need I say more?

I don't know exact frames, just go slower and start anew.

anything small. I like FD because it has no platforms making approaches easier and nothing to interrupt juggles. however, it's easier for opponents to spam. i also like Dreamland and Battlefield

The Usmash spike is not very dependable. if they're coming right on top of ti (at the very tip) it might go more or less straight down, and certain frames at the sides can have an angled spike (which is the only way to get them off the edge). it works against every character evenly. the third up hit of the DED is a meteor smash I believe.

mom7

Smash Cadet
i really like FoD too, i personnally think that irs roy secound best stage. The first is obiviously FD because he can juglles pretty well on it. But FoD is for, i would say fastest kills if we can say that plus i think its better to play against floatie and semi-floatie on FoD because i think that one of roy strongest point is it's near the ground ability so its really hard for floatie and semi-floatie to attack roy. And when you say counter pick moving stages does it mean that you think that they are good for roy or bad for roy? i think they are bad for roy.

Sethlon or Exarch or Ripple or handspoccket or rudeezy I would like to know what to do angainst a marth player because i have difficulties to beat him. And what stage to pic when playin against marth?

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
Well, don't pick battlefield because that's perfect range for tippers. I like to do FD and stay in the middle so I can't get Ken'd or spike'd, though it somehow happens anyway. I don't have that much experience against Marth, but I just posted to complain about how you spelled everyone's name right except mine, which somehow turned from handsockpuppet to handspoccket, what happened there? :confused:

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
I always thought moving stages were good for Roy. I don't tend to have a problem with them.

Also, I'm not too great of a Roy either but if I could add anything to the marth matchup I'd say dtilt to nair is pretty good and I would try to lay off the offense and stay out of tipper range.

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
well, by moving, the only legal counterpick i can think of is raimbow cruise. and besides, Roy has a bad recovery and small, jumps, so I don't think it would be great for Roy. nair would be pretty good, but it seems to me you need to be on offense so Marth doesn't. against Marth you want to be right on top of him so he's never far enough to tipper. good marths will space after getting a tipper (or conbo), so Roy needs to stay close. I personally, crouch a lot and do lots of Dtilts and DED.

mom7

Smash Cadet
well, by moving, the only legal counterpick i can think of is raimbow cruise. and besides, Roy has a bad recovery and small, jumps, so I don't think it would be great for Roy. nair would be pretty good, but it seems to me you need to be on offense so Marth doesn't. against Marth you want to be right on top of him so he's never far enough to tipper. good marths will space after getting a tipper (or conbo), so Roy needs to stay close. I personally, crouch a lot and do lots of Dtilts and DED.

i think that poke flats is legal, correct me if i'm wrong. Where do you fing the list of the stage, the rules for tournaments, you know.

Can someone explain to me in details what are the main differences between the fair and d nair.

Finally i'm sorry if i misspelled your name but you see you have a long name so its hard to remember and you werent on the 10th page of the discussion yet so i spelled it wrong, sry for that.

can someone explain me how to do multi quotes when you post.

rudeezy

Smash Journeyman
isn't pokefloats cp too? but yeah i'd more often choose FD and FoD but hey, if your opponent isn't good on moving stages you always have that option.

and i'm still a roy in training, thanks for the correction :(

mom7

Smash Cadet
what does cp means??? and where do you find the tournament rules? and thread???

we are like only three people writing crazy stuff on this forum. lol

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
i think that poke flats is legal, correct me if i'm wrong. Where do you fing the list of the stage, the rules for tournaments, you know.

Can someone explain to me in details what are the main differences between the fair and d nair.

Finally i'm sorry if i misspelled your name but you see you have a long name so its hard to remember and you werent on the 10th page of the discussion yet so i spelled it wrong, sry for that.

can someone explain me how to do multi quotes when you post.
I'm pretty sure Poke floats (It's anything but flat) is not legal. and, while I haven't checked the official thread in a while, I whink you could agree it shouldn't be.

by "d nair" do you mean dair or nair? assuming you mean Nair, the Fair is better for getting someone off the edge. it has one solid hit and is easier to SHFFL. the nair has more ending lag, though I believe the Fair has more landing lag. the Nair is definitely better to rack up damage, granted you do it correctly. if you do a normal jump (which you shouldn't do often) a Nair is a better choice. if you miss the second hit of the Nair, though, it's almost useless.

lol, it's okay, but seriously, handspoccket?:psycho:

to multiquote press the multiquote button on one or more people and either press reply or quote (for instance, to do this, I pressed the multiquote button near your name and quoted Rudeezy. if you don't do that, just say @______ (inert name here))

isn't pokefloats cp too? but yeah i'd more often choose FD and FoD but hey, if your opponent isn't good on moving stages you always have that option.

and i'm still a roy in training, thanks for the correction :(
I don't think pokefloats is cp. I wouldn't really consider FoD moving, if that's what you mean. and yes, raimbow cruise is still an option.

what does cp means??? and where do you find the tournament rules? and thread???

we are like only three people writing crazy stuff on this forum. lol
cp is counter-pick. certain stages, like FD Dreamland and Battlefield can be always picked, others people are allowed to pick (it depends on the tourney. cp can also imply that character's best stage).

mom7

Smash Cadet
yo i just checked and poke floats is actually a cp. look there it is.the rules.

General Rules
Items are set to off
The stock is set to 4 *
The time limit is set to a minimum of 90 seconds per stock **
All sets are best of 3 matches
In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
No player may choose the stage they last won on
Ties will be broken by lives, then percentage. In the event of a percentage tie, one stock sudden death will be played
Wobbling is allowed except when used to excessively stall a match
The Ice Climber Freeze Glitch is banned
Jigglypuff's rising pound stall is banned
Peach's bomber stall beneath levels where she is unreachable is banned (example: FoD)
*In the event of time constraints 3 stocks may be used
**120 seconds per stock should be considered high priority
Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for the entirety of the set
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List **
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
7. Repeat steps 4-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for this match
**Opponents may instead agree upon a random stage

Random Stage List
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise *
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List
Dream Land: Green Greens *
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle *
Mushroom Kingdom II *
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
*These stages were very close votes and could be on either the Counter or Banned Lists

Banned Stage List
DK Island: Kongo Jungle
Eagleland: Onett
Eagleland: Fourside
F-Zero Grand Prix: Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Infinite Glacier: Icicle Mountain
Lylat System: Venom
Mushroom Kingdom I
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Island
Past Stages: Yoshi's Island
Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths
Superflat World: Flat Zone
Termina: Great Bay

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Floats is a cp, xD. I've won on that stage before...it's a really gay cp against Fox...because he can just get ***** on that stage by running, xD. Not to mention the floats can gimp his recovery. PF isn't a bad cp...I don't know, however, how well it'd work for Roy.

mom7

Smash Cadet
really i fsmash on brinstar = death, i'm not so sure about that man. i think that green greens could be a good counter against falcon what do you think?

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
FoD is Roy's best level IMO. For my opinions about other things you can check out the Roy guide I wrote:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=175726

Against Marth, DL is very very good as long as you know how to DI, sweetspot, and ledgetech. You wont die from a Fsmash until much later than he will from one of yours. Pkstm is also good; you can mimic Falco against marth across the level with dtilt -> dair (the part where it sends people forward in the middle of the blade) up to platforms and run off and dair again (the same part) and then do whatever you like from there. i.e. if you're on one side of the stage you could theoretically dtilt->dair->dair->dtilt->dair->dair->fsmash. I'm relatively sure it's a true combo.

Also the combo I want in gimpy's video against Marth. On GGs if you dtilt him while on a platform then jump and reverse upb him he dies off the top. Roy = broken.

I definitely counterpicked a Puff with FoD and Roy today. And it definitely worked. I love killing puff at 45%.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
Puff was on the side of the level and I fsmashed her. I think he didn't get all the DI too. It was very satisfying because I had 2 stocks and he had three at that point, so I was actually down in the game when I killed him. I think I ended up winning with two stocks as well.

I think the reverse blazer kills on FoD too. I tried it once when he pounded my shield but he got far enough on the other side to when i reversed it he got hit by the whole thing. I think for pounds using just a normal blazer will work. But I don't rely on the blazer against jiggs any more than he relies on rest.

Ted Boosely is amazing <3

TedBoosley

Smash Ace
Exarch and Sethlon, when I get the overwhelming urge to pick Roy during tournament matches even though I know I'm going to be 3-stocked, what do I do.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
how is it bad seeding that a player who has never entered a tourney before plays one of the top players at the tournament?

that's just how it works XD

Top Bottom