• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL AZ Power Rankings & Social Thread (Updated: 11/27/13)

Corigames

Smash Hero
In all seriousness though why are those two the only ones who care about their rank right now? Where is the competitiveness in AZ melee?
If I go to Phoenix tomorrow would anyone be available?
I think I've shown my discontent with not being on the list. I'm getting on there. It's happening.
I'll be available tomorrow too : D

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Spending too much on beer tonight may or may not have affected gas funds to Phoenix. Short notice alerts may arrive within the day!

Edit: when the **** are we going to play Jeff, you're not busier than me.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I still think a FT5 between Kyle and Xander would be cool no matter who has the edge tournament wise. When two players are close in skill it can show how back and forth it can go and I really think long sets are better determiners of better players besides JUST tournaments. Makes you have to adapt a lot more.

I don't know why I'm posting this though since everyone will just disregard it probably.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I know you're likely busier actually Jeff. Just baiting you into posting <3

I'm going to head to Phoenix in an hour, pm me your number if I don't have it. Aka ftf.

As for Xander and Kyle, I typically rank Kyle because he gives me more trouble and has also more wins on better people. However, I am biased since spacies are my best matchup by far.

A FTD set would be better. They play until one of them dies IRL, then we would clearly have one better player.

:phone:

Corigames

Smash Hero
FTD would decide who has more stamina, not who is the better player. If the person that dies first also won every match leading up to that, I wouldn't suggest they were a worse player :p However, if you made the game give a shock to each person after they take damage and send spikes into their body when they lose a stock... well... that would be interesting.

If other people get bored, I'd really like to play you Jackie.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Yeah, if we look at Genesis 2 results, I think Kyle also edges out Xander.

But in disputes like this, I wouldn't mind seeing some sets played out for ranking at the next tournament.

Light_

Smash Apprentice
I agree with Tony. Is everybody ignoring how well Kyle did at Genesis? I think that deserves some merit, and if anything, be the tie breaker.

bubz

Smash Rookie
lol why are you guys acting suprised? everyone in AZ ignores everything anyone in AZ does except for the only person they dont ignore is tai...............and taj, wobbles, axe etc.... but its nothing new. AZ's all about themselves and theyre selfish. Real mother ****ing talk. so based on how everyone in AZ respects each other, how well kyle did at genesis 2 ISNT a factor in it.

AXE 09

Smash Master
lol why are you guys acting suprised? everyone in AZ ignores everything anyone in AZ does except for the only person they dont ignore is tai...............and taj, wobbles, axe etc.... but its nothing new. AZ's all about themselves and theyre selfish. Real mother ****ing talk. so based on how everyone in AZ respects each other, how well kyle did at genesis 2 ISNT a factor in it.
You know as harsh as this is, I have to agree that AZ doesn't give enough credit to a lot of our players where credit is due. There's way too much favoritism in our state.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion

You know as harsh as this is, I have to agree that AZ doesn't give enough credit to a lot of our players where credit is due. There's way too much favoritism in our state.
"sigh" my Children have finally learned and understand how i've felt FOREVER ago now... Then again, I honestly think Joey's known this just as long as I have.... Im sure Jeff has too, and hust hasn't stated it.... Either way,

I COMPLETELY agree w/this statement... but then again, I don't need to.. just look at posts WWAYY back, and you'll find where i've noticed this... but hey what do I know right? I only said this a long time ago..

No offense to AZ, it's just how it is I suppose but yeah...there's a main reason, me, and few other select players honestly, just "whatever" now, so yeah... however, I'll still help w/what I can in our scene.. if/when I come around.

NOTE: So i'll go w/what SK had posted for Rankings or Tai, is that fine?

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
i totes agree

Edit: Thanks for everyone who supports me <3 It means a lot.

I also have lots of respect for the AZ scene. There are times when we bicker and ***** about stupid ****, but in the end, I <3 you guys.

AZ 4 LYFE!!

AZ ANGER <3

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
If this is serious, then I'm pretty disappointed anyone agrees with you. I actually have a response to this, but if you want to read it then PM me.

Also, make sure my characters are Link and Samus, because those are my mains right now.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
I agree with Tony. Is everybody ignoring how well Kyle did at Genesis? I think that deserves some merit, and if anything, be the tie breaker.
I doubt that'd work.. Everyone ignored how well I did at Pound V with Yoshi, and it had like no merit at all, HECK did you see how well joey did?... then again, I'm hated (not literally tony I know) It's an expression) so it's whatever. :p

On the real, Kyle did splendid at Genesis ^^

Updating rankings...

Taj: we've had this discussion, I understand where you're coming from, and in retrospect, I don't mean any harm on any of my words.... You're still my favorite player, and I respect you more than anyone there is out there... You've given me help on so many levels, I can't show you enough my appreciation for everything you've done for me... I've idoled you, and still do to this day for good reason.... Just on some things, It's just the way I feel ... I'm sorry, but I do understand, (and if you're going to post what you told me in a PC we've had on this) I still agree, just Idk it feels different.. that's all.

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
I have trouble understanding why you guys care about getting recognition so much. Support is nice and all, but I get much more satisfaction from seeing myself improve in performance versus better players than how good other people think I am. More of a 'proving to myself I can accomplish my goals' kind of thing I suppose.

On another note I'm glad to see the diversity of posters.

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
^Jackie... I like just now saw your post for possibly visiting SV, well ANYTIME you plan on visiting myself or Nicknyte can house you... (Nicknyte's house is way bigger, and easier to house you, since his you have total freedom... while at my house... there's only my room (roomates ya know) :(

Sorry for replying late, but SV would love the company..

As for your post... I agree w/what you've put as well.. I've somewhat had to become like that...^^, and i see where ur coming from... You're a great player though, but im sure you know that ^^

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
I have no bias, I just think long sets are good indicators of skill level and especially when it's close between two players. Even if it was Xander who was ahead and it was Kyle arguing for this sake if he wanted something like a FT5 to decide the winner I think that'd be cool too. Long sets are just cool to see. Happens in the FGC all the time so...why not do it?

I guess it doesn't matter because if Xander thinks he's better then he'll just work harder to make himself be higher than Kyle or whoever he wants to be ahead of if he works for it. But not taking ideas like the one I said in mind is just as ignorant and stone set as people say about ignoring Kyle's Genesis 2 performance.

In all honesty, I just wanna see some good ****ing matches.

Silly Kyle

Smash Champion
It's all about the fame, Jackie!! Haha, but I totally agree with you too about doing better against higher level players. Feels good, man! <3

Corigames

Smash Hero
@Bubz
I know the feel. But, it's like being a B class celebrity and expecting everyone to treat you like Johnny Depp. It's just not going to happen until you get superstar results like beating Mew2King, SilentSpector, etc. in a tournament. I hate it when I go on FB and I see Jeff post "Melee...?" and there's 1,042 likes and 983 comments. It's just ridiculous, but he's also been to the mountain top.
@Vector
You played Yoshi for how long before stopping? I remember playing you without Yoshi in 08, I think, before I went back home. Then, by the time I came back out here less than a year later, you had pretty much quit playing. How are you suppose to get THAT famous in such a short time? Maybe my time frames are off, but it didn't feel like a long enough spam to merit the attention that, probably, you deserved for being good with Yoshi.
@Taj
If you are going to main Samus, you're an ***. She's mine. I had a monopoly on that **** in AZ : (
@Jackie
"I have trouble understanding why you guys care about getting recognition so much."
Feels good man. Being able to enjoy the game intrinsically is definitely necessary, but having people say that they like watching you play, that they think you are a great player, and that you are ****ing good at a game you are dedicated to and love brings a whole new value to the table. If all the crowd ever chants while you're playing is "GET YO *** WHOOPED" and no one will cheer for you when you land a solid combo, it can really deflate your excitement. No?

My opinion.

Also, I want to finish my set with Kyle and play a set with Xander. I was having a 3 stock comeback on your Peach when you had to play your bracket game. So pissed >:(

bubz

Smash Rookie
I have trouble understanding why you guys care about getting recognition so much. Support is nice and all, but I get much more satisfaction from seeing myself improve in performance versus better players than how good other people think I am. More of a 'proving to myself I can accomplish my goals' kind of thing I suppose.

On another note I'm glad to see the diversity of posters.

Idk jackie i think its more like a respect thing you know? i mean even at tourneys our state doesnt support any players except for tai, and the top players. and sorry tai im not trying to pick on you but youre the main example of this so yeah.............. <3

EDIT: also just throwing this out there but thats the reason why i dont really care too much about this game now is because of not being recognized and people talking **** when im 8 months rusty........... and for those of you who ask why i would still play this game if i dont care about it, is to see friends, thats it. i only go to big tourneys cause i know jeff will at least be there.

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
@Corey: When was the last time TONY entered a tourney? lol

Also IDK about your experiences in tourney bubz, but every tournament I go to I have people cheering for (and against) me, and I've never really thought of myself as being a popular player. Especially out of state tourneys, AZ has always cheered loudly for all of its players, we d*ck ride each other hardcore OOS.

I also totally agree with Jackie that I don't see why recognition matters so much. It would be fair to argue that we don't 'recognize' all of our players because we don't care about our own recognition. We have so many good players that don't care to be ranked.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer

Also IDK about your experiences in tourney bubz, but every tournament I go to I have people cheering for (and against) me, and I've never really thought of myself as being a popular player. Especially out of state tourneys, AZ has always cheered loudly for all of its players, we d*ck ride each other hardcore OOS.

I also totally agree with Jackie that I don't see why recognition matters so much. It would be fair to argue that we don't 'recognize' all of our players because we don't care about our own recognition. We have so many good players that don't care to be ranked.
Thissss ish right here.

FerrishTheFish

Smash Ace
If all the crowd ever chants while you're playing is "GET YO *** WHOOPED" and no one will cheer for you when you land a solid combo, it can really deflate your excitement. No?
Sometimes. Most of the time landing a combo on someone like that, shutting up their entire cheering section, and taking the opportunity to taunt/laugh/rub it in their face makes me feel so good in an evil way >8D Getting cheered for usually just makes me try stupid things to look cool (I know, double-standards, gimme a break).

Having graduated from underdog to top dog in other games, I know that I will probably have less fun when/if I make it onto the PR here or in CO because then I will have something to lose and there will be something riding on my games, you know? Being the underdog means every match is a win-win situation for me: either I lose to somebody better than me (which ain't no shame) or I beat somebody better than me (which is awesome d (^.^) b).

bubz

Smash Rookie

well im talking about OOS tourneys not in-state tourneys. like at genesis 2 AZ didnt cheer for anyone in AZ except for etc........you know what im going to say yada yada. and none of us are wrong here. everyone is right as long as they can prove it, cause we all have our different experiences, but we should be more diverse and respect each other equally. if what you said is true then should nobody in AZ get cheered for? its all about being treated equally, as a whole state yes, your statment is correct, but as individual people is that fair for someone else to get recognized while others arent? like if i cheered for someone and helped people and gave advice to them, wouldnt i want the same respect back?

Jackie

Smash Journeyman
At Genesis I was too focused on my important matches to even realize people were cheering for me. Perhaps people respect you more than I realize?

Thanks for cheering me on Brad, Jeff, etc. if I haven't said thanks already.

bubz

Smash Rookie
At Genesis I was too focused on my important matches to even realize people were cheering for me. Perhaps people respect you more than I realize?

Thanks for cheering me on Brad, Jeff, etc. if I haven't said thanks already.

hmmmmm well as far as i know the only people who cheered for me was jeff tim, you and xander, and all of you guys didnt really cheer just watched my matches except for my first round pools jeff and tim were cheering for me. like i said the above people are as far as i know........ and silly kyle fans were cheering against me lol kind of funny. i mean in all honesty i think i DEFINITELY did my fair share of cheering for AZ at genesis 2 and i dont think anyone can say otherwise XD but like i didnt get that same respect back so it kind of puts you down you know..........

Falcoty

Smash Apprentice
Cry me a river Joey. At the last Tucson tourney, all of Tucson (all 4 of them lolz) cheered against me in my set with Rob, and only person from our Phoenix crew (props to Frosty <3) cheered for me(Tai where you at?!).

You can't expect for more than one or two of your friends to be present at your POOLS matches at big tourneys, there are WAY too many opportunities to play new and good players for any group to stay together long. I went to OC3 with friends from two different states, how many of them cheered me on in my pools matches? Zero, but I still cheered like crazy for Sean and Tony. They win more, they get (and have earned) more hype.

Top Bottom