• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Recommended Rule List 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Actually, you're just too opinionated and passive to realize the error of the BBR's reasoning. Also, way to go telling him he can't read when he wasn't even talking about stages.
There's no error. They want to respect the victory screen whenever possible. It is not possible in this case because sets have to end. In the case of Ganoncides, it is very possible, even if you don't like it. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand.

I will say it for the umpteenth time: sets have to end. Without a percentage lead rule one could hypothetically stall sets forever.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Actually, you're just dumb. All of those stages can be logically explained except maybe Corneria. I remember they banned it and I didn't agree with the reasoning but I can't remember what it was.

AND I have answered your question multiple times. Can you read? Or do you need a purple name?
WTC, I was just joking about the SBRs response time, I didn't say anything about the stages.

:034:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
yes but it's inconsistant to overrule the victory screen's (or lack thereof) judgement in a match in this situation but trust it when concerning suicide finishes.
The style used here is "fix what needs to be", in this case this is that we (and most others agree) that sudden death shouldn't be played. In the case of sudden death not reached by time we have a "fairer" alternative. If you feel there should be consistency, as in, when someone initiates a suicide move that starts sudden death then the match should be decided by percent, then.... mm that's an opinion. Suicide moves have generally been "arbitrarily" picked on throughout competitive gaming history; Pokemon has it out-right illegal. Fighting games that reach time have a winner decided by the one furthest away from death (through the health bar).

If the game, by the creator's decision, forced that every time Dedede grabbed certain characters, that would be the game (oh wait!) then should we alter that through "rules" that favour one character explicitly over another?

Sudden death cannot be played. When it goes to time - 8 minutes; then it is decided by the furthest away from death (through percent). If it is done through a player's move there is a continuation match. Doing it through percent would be... odd, and giving the victory to one player when they both died at the same time... ?

I don't disagree with the fact that sudden death shouldn't be played out. However, if we're taking into consideration the game decides the winner and if the game goes to sudden death it will be a 1 stock 3 rule match then why take percentage into account on the last stock ? When it goes to sudden death.

Basically what I'm getting at is you're having a set of rules for one situation yet when the same situation occurs you change the rules. That's the problem that people are having. Which you guys don't seem to grasp and still can't explain why the rules are set up that way.
They're totally different situations.
One is 8 minutes being reached. This is the length of a game. A game shouldn't go beyond this. The game is shaped around the victory condition of out doing your opponent in 8 minutes or taking three of their stocks before they takes yours. This is the competitive brawl standard victory condition.

This rule applies to the situation where two (or more) players lose both of their stocks AT THE SAME TIME.

Steam

Smash Hero
I lol'd at the part where it said that Yoshi's island pipes meets no ban criteria. then gave no explaination

As a lucario main- I would welcome spear pillar with open arms even if it's stupidly unfair lawl.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dang, this reminds me of the good old days of the MK ban discussion where I would have pages of back and forth conversations with 2-3 people for hours.

Those were the days... Almost makes me wish Yuna was still around.

Almost.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
The stages are banned because they have a strategy that is so prevalent that the stage can't be used, like 75m or Hyrule Temple or Wario Ware. Corneria is different and I'm not sure why that stage is banned. I think it has something to do with Toon Link (which means it's probably not a good reason).

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
But why should we take from those fighters? They depend solely on health, such that the person with more HP at the end of a time out IS obviously the better player and would more than likely win. But in smash, where the game depends on KOing the opponent off the side, top, or bottom, percent health doesn't mean quite the same thing. Maybe DDD is at 100%, and MK or Falco is at 75%, but the latter is much closer to being KOed than the DDD.

So why reward the campy characters unnecessarily? Just go to the 1 stock 3 min tiebreaker. OR, bring back the suicide rule.

This is still a point.

As far as time goes, what happens if the Ganoncide happens in the last minute? The time for the matches goes over 8 minutes anyway. Yeah, this may not happen all the time, but it still makes the fabricated difference inconsistent.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
There's no error. They want to respect the victory screen whenever possible. It is not possible in this case because sets have to end. In the case of Ganoncides, it is very possible, even if you don't like it. I'm not sure what is so hard to understand.

I will say it for the umpteenth time: sets have to end. Without a percentage lead rule one could hypothetically stall sets forever.
So then why not make the person with the percent lead in the 1 round 3 minute match the winner? Or make if there's no winner after the 1 round 3 minute match make it a draw ?

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Honestly I think everyone should just say **** the BBR and don't even follow their recommended rules. It's getting out of hand and when their responses are just to mock other players then why should we even bother with their non sense?

perfect example. Stay Classy BBR.

Because bad regions like the MW(ohio and prob NC) will adopt this.
Mother of god, the irony in this post is overwhelming. Stay classy as always, AlmostLegendary.

Steam

Smash Hero
The stages are banned because they have a strategy that is so prevalent that the stage can't be used, like 75m or Hyrule Temple or Wario Ware. Corneria is different and I'm not sure why that stage is banned. I think it has something to do with Toon Link (which means it's probably not a good reason).
Aparently it's stalling on the right side of the stage + walkoffs.

plus GW was broken there with tiny blast zones and free buckets from arwings.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
are you serious?

Did this dude just seriously propose that we have a draw in tournament sets?

That might honestly be the dumbest thing Ive ever seen on these boards. Legit. How would you even go about doing something like that without it being roughly 100 times stupider than the rule that you are trying to avoid?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Oh dear god, you guys are a bit silly.

Competitive Brawl (Smash, in general, including melee, but not including current Smash 64) has TWO VICTORY CONDITIONS

1. Take out all of the opponent's stocks before they take out all of yours (3 stocks)
2. Have the lead by the end of the time limit (8 minutes)

These victory conditions are constant.

The 1 stock, 3 minute match is justified by the case of which THE MATCH HAS BOTH PLAYERS LOSE THEIR LAST STOCKS AT THE SAME TIME.

This is most commonly seen through suicide moves but could happen through a slew of MANY OTHER REASONS.
What happens when Peach pulls out a bomb and it explodes, both players flying off and they BOTH DIE AT THE SAME TIME?
Should Peach win?

No, it should be an "over time" match, which is 1 stock, 3 minutes.

Sudden death occurs in different situations. They are covered differently due to one being a natural means of victory, the other "breaking" the first victory condition.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
actually he did address most, if not all, of your points. Its just that he didnt answer them on the specific level that you wanted. You probably wanted a clear explicit answer to the one situation that you brought up. Where as MMM gave you a conceptual answer that, on a base level, applies to most, if not all, questions that could be brought up in a similar vein.

It may or may not have been over your head, or you may have jsut not read into it enough to find the answer to your specific question. but its definitely in there.
Wow, thank you, Kid Goggles. I would never have expected you to support me. I very much appreciate your rational objectivity in this matter :)

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
are you serious?

Did this dude just seriously propose that we have a draw in tournament sets?

That might honestly be the dumbest thing Ive ever seen on these boards. Legit. How would you even go about doing something like that without it being roughly 100 times stupider than the rule that you are trying to avoid?
You have win loss or draw. best 2 outta 3. if they draw the set they draw. Move on to the next round.

Ganonsburg

Smash Lord
Oh dear god, you guys are a bit silly.

Competitive Brawl (Smash, in general, including melee, but not including current Smash 64) has TWO VICTORY CONDITIONS

1. Take out all of the opponent's stocks before they take out all of yours (3 stocks)
2. Have the lead by the end of the time limit (8 minutes)

These victory conditions are constant.

The 1 stock, 3 minute match is justified by the case of which THE MATCH HAS BOTH PLAYERS LOSE THEIR LAST STOCKS AT THE SAME TIME.

This is most commonly seen through suicide moves but could happen through a slew of MANY OTHER REASONS.
What happens when Peach pulls out a bomb and it explodes, both players flying off and they BOTH DIE AT THE SAME TIME?
Should Peach win?

No, it should be an "over time" match, which is 1 stock, 3 minutes.

Sudden death occurs in different situations. They are covered differently due to one being a natural means of victory, the other "breaking" the first victory condition.
The peach should have spaced herself better. She has control over that situation. If the opponent ran up to her as she threw it in order to kill the peach, or if the opponent reflected the bomb or caught it and threw it back, then the peach got what was coming.

Suicide moves =/= suicide as a result of a move.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
The peach should have spaced herself better. She has control over that situation. If the opponent ran up to her as she threw it in order to kill the peach, or if the opponent reflected the bomb or caught it and threw it back, then the peach got what was coming.

... It's still a suicide and they die at the same time. o_o

Semantics = semantics. Btw, the end result is the same.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP

Both players died.
It goes to sudden death.
What should happen?

Peach shouldn't outright win, how is this fair?
Should it be decided by percent? Why? The match didn't go to time
A solution was required, this is UNDENIABLE FACT. The way it's been done is arbitrary, but it's impossible for it not to be.

NNID
Budget_Player
According to Atomisk it works on everyone that he normally CG's except luigi

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=282811&page=56
Atomsk is wrong.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=244610&highlight=yoshi's+island+pipes

There ya go. Thoroughly researched. Care to show us we're wrong?

So... wait... the SBR thinks that an edge UNDER the stage on Distant Planet doesn't make stalling broken there because... the water and the pellets? LOL
Well, think of it this way. You have this impenetrable positional advantage. Staying there permanently obviously stalls the match, and makes it impossible for your opponent to win. Now what if that positional advantage vanishes for a while every X seconds? This is also what we have on Onett and Norfair, by the way. If it wasn't for the cars, there would be no consideration in my mind-Onett would need to be banned due to massive positional advantage. But every what, 10 seconds? the character in question has to leave this position or get punished for it. Same with Norfair in a way.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
@BPC_

On Onett... every 10 seconds all they have to do is power shield.

On Norfair, a character like Marth can counter + power shield combo through every lava wave (but not two happening at once).
Through character specific/game mechanics I'm able to beat out the platformer's way of beating scrubs.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
-Dedede can only CG the following people uphill:

DK
Wario
Link
Ganon
Wolf
Lucario

This has been proven by Crow IIRC. In frame mode etc etc.
I would trust his word on this, at the least.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Why are the people that try the hardest to discuss anything in brawl the ones that aren't necessarily affected by the ruleset? Most of the competition is generally above last place. LOL

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Why are the people that try the hardest to discuss anything in brawl the ones that aren't necessarily affected by the ruleset? Most of the competition is generally above last place. LOL
Why can't you ever formulate a real argument? I don't know you that well IRL and you may be cool but you are pretty much worthless as a poster here.

Rules are created by logical objective thinkers who know the game and not by people who win money. You have to be able to do more than that, and you can't. Whatever, you're a good player, congratulations, but it takes more than that to create a rule set.

TL;DR no one cares how good you are in this thread unless you have something useful and thoughtful to say. Go write a blog about it.

I'll kick your *** any day of the week ADHD.
Literally... or does this have some other kind of meaning?

Is this really a dicussion, or rather a shouting match to decide who is right? If I recall, both sides are right in their own respects, yet problems keep coming up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom