• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
My point was, though, that they can act before game and watch has a chance to land a smash.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My point was, though, that they can act before game and watch has a chance to land a smash.
I'm pretty sure on every character GW can fair out of a tech roll read. Fair kills pretty early. He doesn't always need smashes to kill, I would say fair is one of the best aerial kill moves in the game actually.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It also depends on terrain/how far your roll can go. If you are on a platform, obviously tech rolling will not get you safely away. If you are teching up a hill, its easier to hit you. I remember on Frigate, Hylian teching my Dthrow as G^W and he went up the slants near the center, and it allowed me to turn around Fsmash without moving lol. That, and on steeper slopes G^W can jump and hit you quicker than trying to run/grab.

There are a few characters who get away from G^W everytime regardless of how hard he reads or how quick he moves. Snake for example definitely gets away even if you are frame perfect as G^W, and he has enough time to roll backwards again or get away from all of your attempts. I believe Dedede can get away as well. Heavy + Good tech roll makes him work hard because he has less natural frame advantage when throwing heavier characters. By that though, this means you have to tech roll the direction you choose to fall out. You cannot fall out behind G^W, and tech roll through his body expecting him not to be able to reach. No matter the character, he can definitely punish you for doing that.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I remember that frigate match lol. That is the one where I uaired killed you with the wind hitbox at like 50% right? lmao such a lulzy match.

Also, GW can actually Dthrow -> Dtilt and it will combo on some characters if they techroll in front of you, or land in front of you and techroll back. Obviously doesn't hit if they land behind you but it covers every options other than rolling behind and is great near edges.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
The person getting thrown gets to choose

Do you know how old that info is sir?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Hey ishey.

Did you know theres this thing called DI, that lets you alter your knockback trajectory when you get hit? and it even works for throws too!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
weren't there a handful of characters that didn't get to choose?
Im pretty confident every character can choose where they land next to G^W. The only thing IIRC that could affect that would be the % they are at when being thrown.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
Kinda random but is there any throw you can SDI in Brawl? I know the only one in melee was Jiggz fthrow. Is there one(or more) in Brawl?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
cant sdi the throws but the lasers definitely.

thats why sometime you only get by one of the lasers and sometimes you get hit by both.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I think we need to rename SDI into something less confusing. DI makes sense, you are influencing the direction you fly. SDI it's like "Oh so do I press the direction I want harder/angle it better/is this super DI?" lol.

SDI needs a new name, like CD: Character Displacement. Or CR: Character Repositioning. Or MDI: Movement before DI.

Flayl

Smash Hero
MDI implies that you're doing some kind of weird DI, not that you're doing something before DI.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
What do you think people correlate SDI to if you don't explain to them "SDI is not regular or special DI, it's moving your character around before they experience knockback from the attack"? There are probably people out there who think Quarter Circle DI is like an amazing form of DI instead of being an effective method for getting multiple SDI inputs quickly.

MDI: Movement before DI. "Oh, so whenever my character "teleports" from getting hit here to being all the way here before he starts flying away, that's MDI?" "Yeah, MDI is basically inputting directions before DI would take effect."

Or, to better explain what SDI is, scrap any references to DI. Come up with a new term like CD: Character Displacement. Or PKM: Pre Knockback Movement.

MJG

Smash Hero
What do you think people correlate SDI to if you don't explain to them "SDI is not regular or special DI, it's moving your character around before they experience knockback from the attack"? There are probably people out there who think Quarter Circle DI is like an amazing form of DI instead of being an effective method for getting multiple SDI inputs quickly.

MDI: Movement before DI. "Oh, so whenever my character "teleports" from getting hit here to being all the way here before he starts flying away, that's MDI?" "Yeah, MDI is basically inputting directions before DI would take effect."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND-yi3IPKXM

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Ah, but DI is influencing where your character will fly, not where he is before he flies. SDI changes your position before you fly, but you can still have a completely unrelated DI path. SDI MK's Dsmash really hard upwards, Hold down for some ugly looking DI lol.

It influences position, but not direction. I think that justifies coming up with a more explanatory name than Smash DI.

Yikarur

Smash Master
good luck getting a new name into the community.
You shouldn't change something that is in everyone's mouth for 5 years or more.
Even the "Smash Competitive" Vid by Sirlin uses this term.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
its still Directional Influence. whether you are influencing the angle you get shot at, or where your character is during the hitlag of a move.

i think MDI is the best name for it tho.

@yika, it didnt take too much work for me to get people to start using the term 'golden rule of brawl'. even though that was a new thing as opposed to changing an old thing. but still thats not a valid reason to not make things easier to understand and comprehend for people

Yikarur

Smash Master
Smash DI is "SMASH" DI because it uses a Smash Input to warp your character in the DIRECTION you're pressing.

the SMASH is essential for the meaning of how to do it, I don't think it's replacable and it's easy understandable too. People just use the term wrong because they think crashing into the ground by throws uses mostly Smash DI which was wrong from the beginning.
"Movement DI" is not a good word, because if you critizise the "DI" in SDI you didn't do a good job here.
Movement DI doesn't tell you that you are moving before the hit, moving is far more Basic Term for overall moving, People could call moving in the air "MDI" because people already say "I jump and DI right" when they talk about moving in air.
So I see nothing wrong with SDI. (don't forget that ASDI also exist and we would've to change two terms, that would never get through though)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
MID would be Movement (before) DI, not Movement DI.

I get what you are saying though, and that's a fair point for keeping the term as SDI, I just think we could find a more detailed or explanatory term to describe SDI.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
idg the need to replace it in the first place.
it makes perfect sense to me, and i haven't seen anybody else complain about the terms before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom