• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Ganon probably isn't the worst character in the game because he can occasionally guess right a few times and kill someone very fast, something other low tiers can't do, but on paper he does appear to be the worst, easily.

Also worth noting that Ganon has a lot of good players because he is considered the worst in the game, just like Falcon has a few good players tinkering with him because his moveset is so iconic.

RaptorTEC

Smash Champion
Puff is the worst character in the game imo. You have to put in so much work just to end up dying at 20 and never do anything. :( At least she wears a gardener hat while fighting though. That makes her possibly second to worst. Possibly...

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
The legendary...............Wall of Text (WoT)! :evil:

IMO, either Link or Zelda could possibly be the worst. Yeah, Link has decent zoning/walling potential, but his kill power sucks unless you're handicapped in some way and even though he's quite heavy AND has great vertical MC ability, his survivability still isn't very reliable. His recovery is arguably the worst recovery in the game. He's like, one of the very few characters you can send offstage at 0% (in a specific manner, of course) and then proceed to edgehog for the kill. I believe DDD can just Pummel Release and/or dthrow him to edgehog for the kill, but I'm not sure.

A little personal anecdote, back when I was just a beginner at this game and I'd get messed up by John12346's Ganon, I actually took multiple games off of Kirin's Link; I think we went about even. Wasn't that guy, like, one of the absolute best Links in NA? Funny thing was that I didn't even know that until much, much later, after he stopped visiting my university with Will. :laugh:

As for Zelda, she also has decent zoning/walling potential but only at mid-range. Once you get in or out, she can't do anything. She can't approach and she can't really do much once you hit her, at least in my perspective. Heaven forbid that Zelda actually loses the lead in a match (which she probably will). The first stock is the hardest.....kinda.....but once you take it, you can just be the most noncommittal ***hole the world has ever known and Zelda can't do anything. At least Jiggs, Ganon, and Falcon can actually 'kinda' catch up with good reads and devastating punishes.
/My opinions

At Apex 2012 Otori and Nietono could have lost to Rain if they faced him. Its great that there isn't a player on this planet who would definitely beat everyone else. Thats part of the hype at an international, no one knows who will win.
Actually, I don't know how much you pay attention to Melee, but Armada's shown that he might just be one of those people "who would definitely beat everyone else." Dude's won every single tournament he's entered since 2011 (Genesis II), be it local, regional, national, or international, and consistently taken out quite literally every single threat that would even stand a chance against him. Even in his own region, he regularly takes out the local powerhouses, like Leffen and Amsah. He's gone for now, but while he was here, there was NO ONE on this Earth that could beat him.

#AGodAmongMen

bubbaking

Smash Hero
A set but not the win. The second set wasn't even close (3-1, I think). The same thing happened in 2012. Hbox beat Armada's YL for the first set of GFs. Then Armada downloaded him and proceeded to destroy him and win the tourney. This is where I'd say that consistency majorly comes into play. Let's say that these players had met Armada before the GFs. Chances are they'd have won and knocked him into Losers but then he'd just come back and take 'em out, either in Losers or at the GFs. That's how double elimination works. I can safely say this simply because Armada has proven that he can beat any and ALL threats. Being in Losers probably wouldn't have harmed him even though he would have had to fight different people. It just so happens that Armada regularly gets to GFs without losing a set, so he has 'time to download you'. :smash:

tl;dr - Armada is the best because no one has ever managed to beat him twice in a single tournament. :p

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Only read your tl;dr, and that was all I needed to ascertain you're a moron.

1) That's a stupid, illogical criteria. Armada is the best for far less subjective reasons.
2) Mango beat him twice at Genesis.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I now know you can't read. :facepalm: I said Armada's won every single tournament since Genesis II. Genesis I was how long ago now? From a purely objective standpoint, Armada is indeed the best because no one has ever managed to beat him twice in a tourney since 2011. In other words, he's never lost a tourney. That's how double-elimination tourneys work, dude, or did you not know that? :smash:

Edit: Any other reasons you try to give me other than the one I just supplied above WILL have varying degrees of subjectivity mixed in. The only thing "stupid" and "illogical" here is the fact that you assumed that my reasoning was more than a little subjective. :glare:

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I now know you can't read.
That's okay, I now know you can't write.
Armada is the best because no one has ever managed to beat him twice in a single tournament.
But wait, it gets even better:
Armada is indeed the best because no one has ever managed to beat him twice in a tourney since 2011. In other words, he's never lost a tourney. That's how double-elimination tourneys work dude, or did you now know that?
You realise it's possible to lose to more than one individual in bracket, right?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You have to admit that he came out of nowhere and called me a moron, stupid, and illogical for something that wasn't even even very controversial. I overreact a lot, but that one was well-deserved IMO. When you jab at me with your fancy words, half the time I can't really understand what you're saying, and the other half, they aren't so blunt. Back to ZSS rants! :zerosuitsamus:

He *was* fortunate to have a bracket of MKs and Marths (because those are very manageable matchups for ZSS) - but winning an international takes fortune and skill.
I agree with your whole post, but in regards to the quoted portion here, that bracket can probably be blamed on the incredible abundance of MKs and, to a lesser extent, Marths that are present compared to other characters. Salem really wasn't "fortunate" at all. He was simply operating within what I'd call a 'regular bracket at a national tournament'. In such a large tourney, the chances of having such a bracket are much greater than being 'unlucky enough' to have ESAM, Vinnie, or Dabuz in your bracket. That's just how tourneys work. The very fact that Salem got both extremely good Marths was kind of 'UNfortunate', actually, but he pulled through. We keep mentioning how DEHF's win was just as 'lucky' but no one ever questions his success. Well now I'm going to do you all the privilege of analyzing his bracket:
[collapse=APEX 2010 bracket]
[/collapse]
Hmmm, so it looks like in bracket, DEHF only had to face a Yoshi, a Diddy, a DDD/Wario, two MKs, and two Olis (both of which were Brood). Whoa, what's this? So you mean to tell me that Falco's only APEX win ever was due SOLELY to beating a bunch of MKs and advantageous MUs? :crazy:There wasn't a singe Pika or Marth to be found. :smash:

Back to ZSS, Salem's bracket does NOTHING to disprove that ZSS isn't Top Tier because the tier list really should just be a display of a character's viability in a competitive environment a.k.a. a tournament setting. The current metagame is filled with MKs. If you only have a -1 against some Top Tier characters, and the rest of your MU spread is filled with nothing but 0's and advantageous MUs, you deserve to be a TT character. In fact, currently, ZSS is the ONLY non-TT character to have such a spread. Combining MUs with results, I think we have something going here, don't you think?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yeah, I was asking myself that, too, when I saw him in the bracket, so I looked him up. Apparently, he's a MK main who also has a decent Lucario. To give my opposing debaters the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to assume that he went MK against DEHF, since Lucario loses to or goes even with Falco, but that really doesn't make things much better. That's just 'another MK'. :smash:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
He *was* fortunate to have a bracket of MKs and Marths (because those are very manageable matchups for ZSS) - but winning an international takes fortune and skill.
MK is arguably ZSS' worst MU, so I don't see how having to beat Otori once and M2K twice could possibly be considered a lucky bracket XD
I mean it's not like ZSS beats MK, and Otori and M2K were both good enough to the point where either of them winning Apex wouldn't have been surprising at all. Same goes for Mikeneko.
All of ZSS' MUs are manageable btw (ie nothing worse than -1). A trait even some top tiers (Falco, Wario) can't brag about.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
You guys have talked about ZSS vs Oli before, and I believe the consensus reached was that some ZSS players are just bad at the MU while others are really good at it. Certain ZSS mains have negative records against top Olis in their regions and others have positive ones. If anything, I'd feel that a 'difficult -1' is accurate, like a 60:40 instead of a 55:45 or something. Besides, you'd actually have to be unlucky to have a good Olimar in your bracket. :p

Lolz, I was randomly browsing through SRT results and I ran into Sweet Pea again. XD According to the results, he went solo Diddy and placed 65th, quite close to last. I'm guessing he's Japanese?

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Dabuz thinks it's barely in Olimar's favour
I think it's a solid -1 for ZSS (ie 60:40 as opposed to 55:45) and it's either him or MK that's ZSS' worst MU, but neither are -2.
Nobody should listen to Seagull when it comes to ZSS' MUs XD

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I will always say :olimar: vs :zerosuitsamus: is -2 when I watched first hand Salem get destroyed by L_cancel (This was already after Salem had beaten Tyrant looooool).

:018:

Cassio

Smash Master
To be fair Nick also lost to Denti which I heard was sorta bad. But Olimar is one of those characters that gets a pretty decent buff on MU inexperience.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Ganon probably isn't the worst character in the game because he can occasionally guess right a few times and kill someone very fast, something other low tiers can't do, but on paper he does appear to be the worst, easily.
Yep, something like THIS can happen. Straight-up dead at 47 (not a gimp), what? :crazy::smash:

#GanonForNotDeadLast

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Bubba, that is exactly why your video/results analysis is generally bad.
I had this written a while back and wait for an opportunity to post it:

Bubba, you often make good arguments, but you say stuff like "but Ganon can double Dair" and proceed to post a video of Ganon Double Dairing to try to prove your point, ignoring how hard it is to land, or how the badly did opponent screw up in order for that to happen.

And you *almost* literally did that just now.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Dying at 47? O.o
Watch the video, lolz! MK gets hit at 47 and dies. :rotfl:

Bubba, that is exactly why your video/results analysis is generally bad.
I had this written a while back and wait for an opportunity to post it:

Bubba, you often make good arguments, but you say stuff like "but Ganon can double Dair" and proceed to post a video of Ganon Double Dairing to try to prove your point, ignoring how hard it is to land, or how the badly did opponent screw up in order for that to happen.

And you *almost* literally did that just now.
What the heck are you talking about? If I show a video of Ganon double dairing, then yes, he CAN double dair? Like, what's your point and how does it apply to this situation here? SFP said Ganon can kill early in a few hits. I confirmed that with a vid. Yes, it's hard to land those hits. That's why I said earlier that Ganon can kill early with some good reads, or did you not read that part? :facepalm:

At this point, I'm going to have to ask everybody to seriously pay attention to the convo before they reply to my posts. It's honestly getting kind of annoying. Kyokoro, that video evidence was fine. You'd better have a better example to point to or I'm going to assume that you're out to nit-pick everything I say and see it in a bad light, or at least give a WAY better explanation as to why my posted video was bad. :glare:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
@kyokoro
That's part of the point though. If an opponent screws up/gets hard read against a Ganon, it matters more than screwing up/getting hard read by other low tiers. Ganon's still a terrible because he has to take risks and rely on severe mistakes in order to get these hard punishes or even just to hit you, but when these mistakes are made Ganon leaves a bigger dent.

@Bubba
He died at 72, not at 47.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Oh look Salem gets 2nd at Winter Brawl 7 like 10 mins ago, why isn't this thread arguing about it yet

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
It was a mid-nitpick, because you do that all the time, you just neglect everything else.
Anyway, I was waiting for the opportunity to post that other than the ICs-DDD thread where you tried to post videos that actually showed nothing but ICs playing awfully wrong and DDDs getting to work their risky options.
I just saw that post and felt like posting that little text because it was almost literally what I had written.

Oh, and just to contribute something to the discussion Ganon can be good and have good tools and still be last place. Being the "Relatively worst character" doesn't mean he can't pull off wins.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
The video was fine. Do you want me to analyze those last few seconds for you? MK naired Ganon and frame-trapped his landing into a dash grab > dthrow. He tried to follow up the dthrow by dashing forwards, a perfectly regular thing for MK to do, but he got hit by Ganon's very fast uair. After grabbing the ledge, Ganon read MK was going to dash forwards so he ledgejumped an instant aerial sideB. Tech-chase situation. MK chose to stand up. Ganon standing sideB's him. Reading that MK was going to roll behind him after that, Ganon fsmashed backwards at the same exact moment that MK rolled, killing him. When this whole ordeal started, MK was at 15%. After the sideB's, he was at 47%. After the fsmash, he was dead. It was just one aerial downB that led to MK being at 15% in the first place, so if you want to be quite literal, Ganon killed that MK in exactly five hits. :smash:

So now I ask you, Kyokoro, what was wrong with the vid, ESPECIALLY when seen in light of the fact that I was confirming SFP's and my assertions that Ganon can kill in a few hits after some good reads? :c

In fact, looking at the entire match, that MK never broke 100%. He lost all of his stocks at 75%, 87%, and 47%, respectively. All kills were straight up KOs, not gimps, since, well, you can't really 'gimp' MK. :p

@V115: I've ALWAYS used 'death/kill %'s' as the % you're at when you got hit, not afterwards. That's the % you can live up to before you get killed by the move. I could care less about what % you were at when you actually died. Even when I'm trying to advocate DDD's survivability, I use the % he was at right before he got hit. It's the highest you can live up to without dying, so it makes the most sense.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If you're going to say 'dies at __%" I think it makes the most sense to fill in the blank with the % at which they died (you know, cause that's what you're saying), not the % at which they got hit. Especially since knockback is calculated after damage calculation.

I'm sure you can see why this confused me. Before I clicked on the video (I asked "Dying at 47?O.o" before I watched it) I thought they died at 47% (you know, cause that's what you said), so I was thinking that whoever died got hit by something strong in the low 20s, and I was thinking "okay...Ganon's strong as **** and all but I don't think even a fully charged fsmash will kill Jiggs if it hits her when she's in the low 20s"

bubbaking

Smash Hero
To be more clear, the exact % you were at right when you died doesn't really matter because it is not very informative. Say there's a '% barrier', where breaking that barrier causes you to die when hit by a move. Right when you die, you could honestly be at any % point past the barrier for the same result. The actual % 'at time of death' isn't very helpful. The % you were at right when you got hit is way more helpful because it gives a better indication of how low that barrier can be, and I'd rather not try to subtract the move's damage from the 'true death %' to find the % he was at before being hit.

Ok, that was a terrible explanation, so here's something way more simple in the form of a question. What's more important, the fact that MK 'actually' died at 72% or the fact that he died because he got hit at 47%? For example, if a move kills you at 0% but it does a million damage, what's more important, the fact that you died from being hit at 0 or the fact that you 'actually died' at a million percent? That's how I see things. You died because of the % you got hit at, not because of the % you were at when you died. That could be a million and it wouldn't mean anything. As such, the MK died because he got hit at 47. Thus, FOR ME, he was "dead [when he got hit] at 47%". Comprende? ;)

But yes, I can see where my wording was confusing. I apologize.

Edit: If an uncharged fsmash kills MK (tied for 5th lightest char with Pika) at 47%, I actually think that a fully-charged one will kill Jiggs (absolute lightest char in the game) in her 20's. I wouldn't be surprised if the number was even in the teens. :p

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Seagull, I was never making a point about how good Ganon is. All I was pointing out was that Ganon can indeed kill you super early if you're being read like a book, something the other bottom tiers simply are incapable of doing. Even Puff's rest doesn't kill anyone that early. Come on, guys. It was a simple point. Don't tell me this is being over-analyzed as well. (-_-)

Edit: Now that I think about it, if fsmash kills that early, how early would Warlock Punch kill? Like, as a shield break punish? I know no one has any business losing their shield to Ganon, lolz, but still........it's nice to think about. :upsidedown:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
CAwesome isn't that good....He also doesn't even main :metaknight: either. He mains :snake:.
Anyway, I believe Verm and some other guys from the region were saying that CAwesome secondaries MK, but I honestly don't care. It was just a random match featuring Verm vs a no-name (to me).

Shout-outs to MK being ***** by 9B to that music. :smirk: The other matches featured really nice songs as well...

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
I do agree that the % you were at when you got hit by the kill move is more important but it's still misleading (because it's blatantly false, even if unintentionally so) to say that the MK died at 47%.
You could have just said something like "MK died to a move that hit him at 47%".

Also the MK DI'd terribly and I don't even know if he momentum cancelled (yes he uaired but idk if he fastfalled). If he DI'd correctly he would have lived and I think the same would apply to a Puff at 25%. I could be wrong though, I'm just guessing.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Yeah, that could be possible.

Oh look Salem gets 2nd at Winter Brawl 7 like 10 mins ago, why isn't this thread arguing about it yet
I'm busy compiling results for my reply to DeLux's latest post. Don't sidetrack me! :p

It was a mid-nitpick, because you do that all the time, you just neglect everything else.
Anyway, I was waiting for the opportunity to post that other than the ICs-DDD thread where you tried to post videos that actually showed nothing but ICs playing awfully wrong and DDDs getting to work their risky options.
I just saw that post and felt like posting that little text because it was almost literally what I had written.
Yeah, I suspected that you were actually thinking of the DDD:ICs thread. :facepalm: First off, I don't know if we should be discussing that here, but there are two points to be made now:
  1. There was no Top-level evidence to be found. I posted vids from all over the skill spectrum, like I usually do when good vids are hard to find. Then...
  2. I pointed out specific instances where techs or strats I mentioned came into play to prove that they did indeed exist and function as I said they would.
My videos were never meant to prove that the DDDs have some sort of record against the ICs, and if you interpreted them as such, then you completely missed the point of my posts and have no business trying to criticize them. Tbh, I think you, DeLux, and ESAM were all doing that, which was mildly annoying. When a tech works a certain way, it doesn't matter who's 'behind the wheel'; the results are the same. All the actual players change is how 'open' or 'accessible' said tech/strat is. Btw, I'm going to tell you now that you have a habit of misunderstanding my posts. :ohwell:

By the way, if you wanted to say that, even though I believe your assumption was wrong, you could have said that in the actual thread, not here. Ooooor you could have P:M'd me or something. I don't know why you were "waiting for the opportunity to post that." I've P:M'd DeLux when I needed clarification on something. You should seriously try it sometime to avoid causing huge problems over simple misunderstandings. :-|

Edit: For example, I said that DDD's side throws have very nice hitboxes. They throw one IC back but the hammer swing also hits the other IC. BOTH side throws do this, and I proved it in my video examples. If you were paying attention to who the actual DDD and ICs were and what they were doing before/after that instance, then I'm sorry, but you weren't paying attention to what I was saying (not surprised :glare:). All that mattered was that when DDD bthrew Nana, the move hit Popo, even though he was behind DDD after the bthrow, keeping him from hampering the process. Fthrow obviously hits both ICs (but I proved this too).

Honestly, what's your problem? :c

Oh, and just to contribute something to the discussion Ganon can be good and have good tools and still be last place. Being the "Relatively worst character" doesn't mean he can't pull off wins.
No, that's just flat-out wrong. In Brawl, you know, the game we're talking about, no character can be "good" or even decent and still end up in Bottom Tier. That's not how tier separation works. We have 8 tiers, for heaven's sake. There's no way a 'not bad' character can end up in Bottom Tier. Ganon is, without a doubt, terrible, but he isn't 'as terrible' as Zelda and Link and possibly even Falcon and/or Jiggs, IMO. Besides, once again, you're missing the point. The point being made is that Ganon has certain "tools" that NONE of the other Bottom Tiers have. All of the other low tiers are heavily susceptible to being destroyed simply due to being unable to make up deficits. Ganon still suffers from that because of how difficult it can be to get in, but due to his huge power, the problem is mitigated with him.

Inb4 another terrible anecdote from Kyokoro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom