• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official BBR Tier List v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
I feel like I'm never really pressured when I play Jigglypuff; sure, my approaches suck. But I can milk the full 8 minutes to condition my opponent into giving me opportunities.
With Ganon, you might get more bang for your buck, but the pressure is on you to be constantly out-smarting your opponent or else you get wrecked, even when you have the lead.

Aaven

Vagabond With Flowers ~
I feel like I'm never really pressured when I play Jigglypuff; sure, my approaches suck. But I can milk the full 8 minutes to condition my opponent into giving me opportunities.
With Ganon, you might get more bang for your buck, but the pressure is on you to be constantly out-smarting your opponent or else you get wrecked, even when you have the lead.
I F'ing hate trying to approach Jigglypuff, everything just feels ridiculous.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Jigglypuff having trouble KO'ing is a myth. I mean, she's got the shorter end of the stick, but she's still pretty far off Samus, Peach, Diddy, etc... Rest, bthrow at the ledge, and fair are all very reliable.

There are lots of reasons Jigglypuff is better than Ganon, but you can't really compare two characters by just looking at their individual attributes and moves in a vacuum. At the end of the day, Puff has a demonstrably better MU spread for a huge number of reasons, the end.
Fair enough, that's why I said in the hands of a good player that issue would be very much reduced... but I should probably go on and learn more about this anyway. :D

I dunno, there's actually some evidence for Link/Zelda being higher than they are. Well, evidence in that I think both could be higher in that their moveset doesn't seem so terrible as to have them where they are... but then on the other hand, who would take their spot? I've heard of some nice things coming from some other low tiers that make me hard pressed to decide just who should be where.

Oh, but I am scared of a good link. The surprise factor came about for me recently when I got bodied by a link that was content camping me all day. And even though it shouldn't... it worked. I don't think it'll happen again but who knows?

Same goes for zelda.

I don't feel too bad going against jiggs. Both my chars have moves that give me some breathing space if I want to deal with her in the air and neither of us are that amazing on the ground so it's kind of eh. That said, the nature of my character and how I play personally means that my opponent usually ends up feeling the same way. :p

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Jigglypuff having trouble KO'ing is a myth. I mean, she's got the shorter end of the stick, but she's still pretty far off Samus, Peach, Diddy, etc... Rest, bthrow at the ledge, and fair are all very reliable.
Samus can wall her opponent out and harass them extremely if they're playing defensively. She also has legit (and quite extensive) true combos in a game that fights against them. Peach and Diddy rack up damage a LOT faster and more reliably than Jiggs does, which totally nullifies any 'lower killing power' they may have worse off than Jiggs. Same kinda goes for Samus + Samus lives longer. IMO, Jiggs is weak because her kill moves are bad and I still don't feel she can reliably build one's damage, much less take back a lead.

Tl;dr - Jiggs is weaker than Diddy because Diddy can build your % into his killing %'s before you realize what hit you. Like you said, don't look at single attributes in a vacuum. As a whole entity, the only character weaker than Jiggs is, like, Link.....

There are lots of reasons Jigglypuff is better than Ganon, but you can't really compare two characters by just looking at their individual attributes and moves in a vacuum. At the end of the day, Puff has a demonstrably better MU spread for a huge number of reasons, the end.
Good thing I didn't do that then. :p I could argue that Puff's MU spread is simply overrated because her MUs are overestimated. I could also just use Grim logic (:smirk:) and just say that most opponents who do 'worse' against Puff were bad (that day) and are bad at the MU. A possible problem nowadays is that no one's willing to take Jiggs 'to the clock' as badly as Jiggs will take them, IMO.

Jiggs is alot better than Ganondorf, she has mobility, which is one of the most important things in this game. She can actually milk alot out of a lead, which cant be said for ganondorf. If he hits you a few times and gets 50% lead, you always know where to find him.
You can also milk a lot out of a lead ON her. She's not allowed to trade. Get a lead and play noncommittal. No one has convinced me that you can't wall Jiggs out because I've never seen Jiggs get past good defensive play in the matches I've seen of her WHEN Puff's opponent was disciplined. Grim will cite his own matches, but I'd say his opponents.....well, I won't go there. :c

That 50% lead you spoke of? Well that just means she's at death %'s now, so I can just sit back and fish for a kill move on defense. Also, everyone, including possibly Verm, forgets that results are supposed to be factored into one's tier list position as well. As I pointed out before, Ganon won more money than pretty much every character in Low Tier and going into the Mid Tiers. Going by money, Zelda (and maybe even Link) should also be below Ganon unless everyone decides to just group Zelda along with Sheik as Sheilda and ONLY Sheilda for the next list.

I F'ing hate trying to approach Jigglypuff, everything just feels ridiculous.
Why are you in a situation where you should have to approach? :smash:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
My post about low tiers a few pages back still stands, I think :/

Jiggs, Bowser, Samus, and the like are so bad that any Good Player that used them has long since moved on to other characters, quit, or wasn't very active to begin with. It has been years since anyone did anything notable with a low tier. Riot's Zelda probably comes closest to being worth talking about. There are quite a few talented Falcon and Ganon players but none of them really do much with the character. There's an occasional upset, and a Ganon won an MK banned tournament in like 2010 (lol). That's all we've got.

A lot of people are going to take this post personally so a disclaimer: it isn't that I don't want to talk about low tiers, it's just that we don't have a good way of quantifying or qualifying their accomplishments because the unfortunate truth is that for the most part, they don't have any (for one reason, or another). If you want less discussion about ZSS+top tier then get good at the game and go play Jigglypuff a lot in tournament/at smashfests/in serious friendlies/whatever and come back, and let us know how it went for you.

I don't know how you guys can even discuss a character no one plays or has any exposure to for 3 pages frankly, lol. There's literally nothing to talk about that we didn't know 3 years ago.

Remember when Melee's tier list had a "negligable tier" that one time? Low tier is like that in brawl. The characters in low tier are used so little and with such little success that it isn't even worth ranking them. Any character worth ranking that is currently in low tier should probably not be low tier (Lucas or whatever).

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Samus can wall her opponent out and harass them extremely if they're playing defensively. She also has legit (and quite extensive) true combos in a game that fights against them. Peach and Diddy rack up damage a LOT faster and more reliably than Jiggs does, which totally nullifies any 'lower killing power' they may have worse off than Jiggs. Same kinda goes for Samus + Samus lives longer. IMO, Jiggs is weak because her kill moves are bad and I still don't feel she can reliably build one's damage, much less take back a lead.

Tl;dr - Jiggs is weaker than Diddy because Diddy can build your % into his killing %'s before you realize what hit you. Like you said, don't look at single attributes in a vacuum. As a whole entity, the only character weaker than Jiggs is, like, Link.....
I don't have an agenda lol. I wasn't arguing that Puff is better than any of them, or that her superior KO power makes her better than them. The point was simply (and this is fact) that she'll be KO'ing at lower %s than the characters I mentioned.

If you want a list of how well characters can rack up damage and KO compared to how well they can survive, I direct you to the tier list.

Good thing I didn't do that then. :p I could argue that Puff's MU spread is simply overrated because her MUs are overestimated. I could also just use Grim logic (:smirk:) and just say that most opponents who do 'worse' against Puff were bad (that day) and are bad at the MU. A possible problem nowadays is that no one's willing to take Jiggs 'to the clock' as badly as Jiggs will take them, IMO.

You can also milk a lot out of a lead ON her. She's not allowed to trade. Get a lead and play noncommittal. No one has convinced me that you can't wall Jiggs out because I've never seen Jiggs get past good defensive play in the matches I've seen of her WHEN Puff's opponent was disciplined. Grim will cite his own matches, but I'd say his opponents.....well, I won't go there. :c
"Grim logic" isn't a thing, just because I believe the specific instance of Salem winning APEX was largely because his opponents sucked balls, doesn't mean you can apply that to every situation ever and call it my opinion. Because that would be stupid. Of you.

All I can say to such general criticisms of the character is I'll prove you wrong eventually lol. I've explained countless times why her mobility prevents her from being easily walled out (by things like Dedede's bair), no point repeating myself.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
My post about low tiers a few pages back still stands, I think :/

Jiggs, Bowser, Samus, and the like are so bad that any Good Player that used them has long since moved on to other characters, quit, or wasn't very active to begin with. It has been years since anyone did anything notable with a low tier. Riot's Zelda probably comes closest to being worth talking about. There are quite a few talented Falcon and Ganon players but none of them really do much with the character. There's an occasional upset, and a Ganon won an MK banned tournament in like 2010 (lol). That's all we've got.

A lot of people are going to take this post personally so a disclaimer: it isn't that I don't want to talk about low tiers, it's just that we don't have a good way of quantifying or qualifying their accomplishments because the unfortunate truth is that for the most part, they don't have any (for one reason, or another). If you want less discussion about ZSS+top tier then get good at the game and go play Jigglypuff a lot in tournament/at smashfests/in serious friendlies/whatever and come back, and let us know how it went for you.

I don't know how you guys can even discuss a character no one plays or has any exposure to for 3 pages frankly, lol. There's literally nothing to talk about that we didn't know 3 years ago.

Remember when Melee's tier list had a "negligable tier" that one time? Low tier is like that in brawl. The characters in low tier are used so little and with such little success that it isn't even worth ranking them. Any character worth ranking that is currently in low tier should probably not be low tier (Lucas or whatever).
Yea, because talking about the same boring over used high tier characters more is much better. I would rather read more about mid/low tiers then high tiers from people who know their stuff. So if I ever run into them in tournament I don't get random out cause I not know much about the character at beast mode and how to play the match up. High tiers are not the only characters in this game. Focusing so much on the characters that so called matter had cost people matches before, then make these BS excuses.

Telling people to get better with these characters and do something is pretty selfish. Im sorry it's not easy to win with mid/low tiers as it is with these high tiers. I don't think ALOT OF PEOPLE in this community understand just what it takes to freaking do serious damage with low/mid tiers in a game that is seriously stupid competitive. If this community is to seriously grow for the better, stop viewing some aspects of the game and ignoring the others. Reasons like this is why meta games for some characters dont change. Reason people keep losing to the same boring crap over and over. Excuses being thrown for when top/high tier characters lose to players/characters they never thought could win or should have not have win.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Yea, because talking about the same boring over used high tier characters more is much better. I would rather read more about mid/low tiers then high tiers from people who know their stuff. So if I ever run into them in tournament I don't get random out cause I not know much about the character at beast mode and how to play the match up. High tiers are not the only characters in this game. Focusing so much on the characters that so called matter had cost people matches before, then make these BS excuses.

Telling people to get better with these characters and do something is pretty selfish. Im sorry it's not easy to win with mid/low tiers as it is with these high tiers. I don't think ALOT OF PEOPLE in this community understand just what it takes to freaking do serious damage with low/mid tiers in a game that is seriously stupid competitive. If this community is to seriously grow for the better, stop viewing some aspects of the game and ignoring the others. Reasons like this is why meta games for some characters dont change. Reason people keep losing to the same boring crap over and over. Excuses being thrown for when top/high tier characters lose to players/characters they never thought could win or should have not have win.
You're misunderstanding my post. I'm not saying that we should only discuss high tier characters, but there's a reason the discussion tends to center around them: lots of Stuff happens. At Rescue 2, top 5 was 3 MKs, a ZSS, and an ICs. The highest-placing low tier at the tournament was Lucas at 13th (something maybe worth talking about, actually). Beyond that no low tiers were even played. This is happening all over the country; low tier characters have metagames so mindbogglingly stagnant that I can't think of the last time anything happened that would give us a basis for having a conversation about them. Bubbaking and GrimTuesday have been arguing for pages about stuff that is extremely hard to quantify or even tangibly qualify; they are going back and forth arguing about scenarios that could happen or might happen but there's not even any real non-theorycraft indication that they do, at least not at a high level.

Low tier characters are hard to win with. It's a very irritating circular situation that leaves us with very little to actually talk about that has any meaning whatsoever. With respect to Bubba and GT, the last few posts they've made do the tier list absolutely no favors because none of it is going to be considered. You can't say, like, "Jigglypuff has better KO power than most people think, +1." Her strengths and weaknesses are well-known, that isn't what we want to know. We want to know if she can work with them and produce some kind of meaningful result.

The "problem" isn't that we don't understand what it takes to win with low tiers, but that we do understand, so much so that anything that isn't new information is going just repeating ourselves.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Competitive brawl is the anti christ of mid/low tiers metagames. People wanna win and get that money. They wanna be known, they wanna be somebody in the community and stand out. They will pick the best option for it which is high tiers. And most are lazy so won't want to work as hard. I can't tell you how many times I have seen mid tier players ditch their mains and go up a slot on the tier list. Cause they wanna win, they wanna be known, they wanna place high. With all that in mind, they will not bother stepping up character metagame.

So who is gonna correct the wrong and improve the right if people are running to the big guns? People like me and a few others around here who are still willing to work and find/create things that can help with the character and do better in the competitive field. This game is not worth playing for money to me. Cause look at what it is doing? Seriously, look at the smash community as it is and the stuff we see at tournaments. I enter tournaments With the goal to place high. If I place high and don't win any cash, I don't care. Mission complete. Now if I have a shot at winning said tourny or placing in the money, hell yea I'll go for it. And that chance can be granted as I play and learn more stuff with my expereince. It's just a bonus along with my goal for entering. If I really wanted to place high and start winning for that money, I pocket Marth and Snake. Marth feels like Peach in a way and Snake is a funny character. Now if I wanted it REALLY BAD, I just pick up MK just like the rest. Best option. Big whoop.

So if people like me solo go mid/low tier for YEARS and still are, there is alot to talk about. Cause as I get better, I learn new things from wins and loses. Cause in competitive play, people really not gonna have the patients to do this. And most are lazy. So sooner or late, they will ditch their mid, low tier. So someone is gonna have to do that work. And I don't mind doing it. What I care about is stepping up my characters game and finding new things out. Expose it in tourny play and have her do better. Show what the character can really do. And also make it more fun to play her for those that do in a boring stupid game. I get tired of the same **** all the time with these high tiers and results. its boring. If I can make a lil difference with one character that is not overused and make the game enjoyable to a degree, then lets go.

Now while I will agree that this kill then with jiggs to rise her up is stupid, the main point is not to go on about something that already at its peak and people know about. Go on about the stuff that people ditch. Go one about over used character and trying to make them more of a pain is not doing anything. Thats why the tier list is BS, thats why the match up chart is BS. Talk about characters that seriously need the attention is more important then those that really don't need it. But if you guys love the game the way it is, and love seeing the same crap, then ok.

Koric

Smash Apprentice
I recently starting to look to this tier list, but there some things I really don't understand. (or maybe I missed something.)

Is it a list to understand who is stronger and should be use for odds of winning and who is weak and should not be used often, or is it a statistical of winnings odds that is meant to go the opposite way with the public view who is the best?

Is it a directed list by a solo/group for informing people who to play and study upon entering or starting the smash bros series, to adapt better, or to win more...like the "sell your soul to the tier list" thing, or just something that was purely meant for research?

Does it has any merit online, offline, or both?

Even though the position is most likely based from hundrend/thousands of similar matchups, why do many use the result of one or few successful matches to debate the position of the matchup?

---------------
Sorry for my english...

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
The BBR (people who made the tier list) aren't trying to tell us who we should/shouldn't play, they're just providing us with their collective opinion on how good each character is. It's up to you to come to the conclusion that you should/shouldn't play certain chars, based on how much you like them/how good they are/etc.

Yeah, it's a list made by the Brawl Back Room (a group of people on this website). Definitely not a 'sell your soul' thing.

Definitely has a lot of offline merit, though many people feel there are some inaccuracies in the list (eg ICs not being 2nd best is the main one)
Online, idk. Some chars are more affected by Wifi than others.

Few matches/results are used because this list/the MU chart are supposed to reflect top level play, when in reality only a few players of each character can realistically be considered 'top level'. A good example is Pikachu, where ESAM is significantly better than all other Pikachu players in NA.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Competitive brawl is the anti christ of mid/low tiers metagames. People wanna win and get that money. They wanna be known, they wanna be somebody in the community and stand out. They will pick the best option for it which is high tiers. And most are lazy so won't want to work as hard. I can't tell you how many times I have seen mid tier players ditch their mains and go up a slot on the tier list. Cause they wanna win, they wanna be known, they wanna place high. With all that in mind, they will not bother stepping up character metagame.
I love how you think this is unique to competitive Brawl or even competitive smash. This is something that happens in literally all competitive games.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I love how you think this is unique to competitive Brawl or even competitive smash. This is something that happens in literally all competitive games.
Nice try, but you're way off base with that assertion. Low/Bottom tiers are beyond terrible in Brawl, the gap between them and the "good" characters is huge. Way too big for my liking, and a far cry from SSF4, which has like... what every character bar Dan being viable?

Brawl is some of the worst character balance in the history of fighting games. 9~ characters out of a potential 41 characters being balanced is unacceptable.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Even the worst non-Dan, non-Oni/Evil, and non-Hakan characters (who AFAIK are all really bad, someone feel free to correct me though) have only a handful of 7-3 match-ups in SSF4:AE. Again, feel free to correct me here.

However, Smash is a different kind of game. They have a lot to consider when making a character, like how the character feels, how it will perform on a variety of stages, the game's various platforming elements, recovery options. Specifically, feel is very important. Meta Knight needs to feel like Meta Knight and Link needs to feel like Link. These goals tend to be incompatible with balance in a cast this size.

Feel was probably the most important goal for Sakurai, rather than balance. To most Smash players it doesn't matter how good or bad Link is so long as he has all of his weapons, a sword, and Zelda-like physics.

You'll notice that characters from the same universe tend to share certain attributes, for better or for worse. Link, Zelda, and Ganon are all slow as hell and super stiff. Meta Knight and Kirby are flexible and floaty. And so on.

M@v

Subarashii!
9? Its less then that. Yes, maybe 9 if you count the characters that have one godlike player (ex.salem with ZSS). But theres maybe 5 characters that have more than one top level player for them.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Melee wasn't exactly a paragon of balance either. People like to pretend the balance in Melee is better, and that's only really true if your definition of balanced is that all of the viable characters can compete with each other. There's also a huge, huge portion of the cast that can't compete at all, just like Brawl.

Fox, Falco, Peach, Puff, Sheik, and Marth are all pretty good, but even a few of them don't do so well at top levels. Most of the rest of the cast doesn't stand a reasonable chance.

Smash 64 is the best-balanced Smash game, and surprise surprise, it also has the least diverse movesets in the series and the most fighter-like physics.

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
I'm sorry so what exactly is in this plethora of options that Zelda has that make her so much better than Ganon?

I've been playing her about 3 years and I seem to have missed them(this is Fujin btw).

Inb4 theorycrafting.

Verm your post about Ganon was lovely and full of detail.
If only you knew half as much about Zelda as you do about Ganon.

In relation to Ganon, when someone knows the shenaniganons, Ganon's position becomes lucidly accurate.
You do realize you can replace Ganon's name in this with Zelda's and it remains just as true, right?

Same with this
The only reason one ever sees Ganon succeed is either by virtue of (near) perfect play, or the other player being ignorant in the MU. Marth is a good example.
and this

Briefly, Ganon's strength makes him look good in choice scenarios, but he has no options that are independently good,

Zelda is basically a slightly faster, smaller, floatier Ganon with a bad projectile, a bad reflector and better frame data.

Zelda doesn't have to worry about as many chain grabs and locks, but I'd say the tradeoff of dieing like 30% earlier kinda evens it out in some matches ups.
That and a handful of her attacks being escapable, even when she lands them

Both are fairly large targets
Neither can safely approach
Neither is very good at running away
Both have highly flawed specials
Both have poor recovery options
Neither can reliable shield grab many moves that most characters can
etc.

Both rely on gimmicks/shenanigans their opponents ignorance to win against most of the cast in high level play.

The main difference is that Ganon's shenanigans with a hard read can kill his opponents at like 80%.

Zelda's shenanigans can kill the opponent around 105-110%.....if she manages to successfully land this little purple hit bubble(that only last 1 frame) on a specific part of the opponent.

Let me also point out if she doesn't land the sweetspot she does a whopping 4 damage.
Most characters jabs do more damage than that.

And we cant forget her smash attacks, they can kill at around 120 fresh(which because she relies so heavily on them, they are almost never fresh).... that is if the opponent doesn't SDI out of them.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that they are both very similar characters with extremely limited options when the opponent is aware of their bag of tricks.
The main difference about their gimmicks is that WHEN they manage to land a gimmick/trick on the opponent, Ganon hit's MUCH harder and MUCH more reliably.

Not saying Zelda is necessarily worst than Ganon, but you and a few mother members here seem to have be ignorant on just how flawed her design really is.

However, i've been playing more of her recently and just the other day I got bodied by a half-way decent online zelda main (pooketard, he often hangs around the arena) so I think I could see her up a little.

Soooo because you lost to a Zelda on wifi she can't possibly be the worst character in the game.

One last thing.
In 2012 at Apex I as playing some friendlies w/ someone and M2K asked to play against me.

After a few matches he actually commented that he thinks Zelda does worse MK in the match up than Ganondorf due to her lack of options. I agreed with him.

Just some food for thought

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
Oh and before any of you gorls try the ol

"But she has a projectile and a reflector!!!"

[COLLAPSE="Din's Fail Camping List by Fuujin"]Din's Fail Camping List
List of characters that have moves that can cancel out Din's fire from any angle.
Meaning even if you aim the hitbox on just about any part of their body, this move will still cancel it out.
Some of these may have extremely small blind spots but are generally very safe against Din's.
Bolded moves are likely their best/easiest options that work very nicely for them.
These moves are generally very easy to time and won't leave the character in a bad position.

Bowser: N air, B air, Up air, Dash attack, *D smash
Captain Falcon:: U air, B air, N air, *Up smash
Diddy Kong: F air, B air,
Donkey Kong: N air B air, D air, D smash
Falco:, Reflector, *B air, D air
Fox: Reflector, *N air
Ganondorf: Up air *N air, Dash attack
Ice Climbers: None
Ike: Counter
Jigglypuff: Up air, B air, *N air, Pound, Up smash, D smash
King Dedede: B air, *N air
Kirby: B air, *N air D smash
Link: *N air, Up air
Lucario: N air(High percent), D smash
Lucas: PSI Magnet,F air, Up air, Up smash, PK Thunder 2
Luigi: N air, Green Missile
Mario: Cape, U air
Marth: Counter, Up smash
Meta Knight: Mach Tornado, Glide attack
Mr. Game & Watch Bucket (Didn't bother testing anything else :/)
Ness: PSI Magnet, N air, B air, D air, PK Thunder 2
Olimar: None
Peach: N air, U air, Toad
Pikachu: *N air, D air
Pit: Mirror Shield *B air
Pokémon Trainer
Squirtle: *N air, *B air, *F air, D smash
Ivy: F smash, *N air
Charizard: N air, *D air, *U air, F smash
R.O.B.: B air, N air, Arm Rotor
Samus: *N air
Zero Suit Samus: Up air, Back Air, Flip Jump
Snake:B air, Up air
Sonic: N air, B air, D air, D smash
Toon Link: Up air
Wario: D smash * N air
Wolf: Reflector
Yoshi: N air
Zelda: Nayru's Love
Sheik: *N air, *D smash, D air

*Will NOT cancel out if Din's is fresh, but will cancel out any fire balls that aren't completely fresh, or fully charged.[/COLLAPSE]

Din's Fail is bad and not a valid camping tool unless she's fighting ICs or a Dedede that's spamming Waddle Dee toss.

Nayru's Love takes a total of 60 frames to complete from start to finish.
The last 30 frames are pure ending lag with 12 of them having reflective properties.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
yea cuz that dude is some kind of authority. His video is literally called "ignorant smash news". I wouldn't exactly take his word on anything. People switching off their bottom tier mains to gain success is not unique to smash. Go ask the Street Fighter community if they think people do that. They do.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
yea cuz that dude is some kind of authority. His video is literally called "ignorant smash news". I wouldn't exactly take his word on anything. People switching off their bottom tier mains to gain success is not unique to smash. Go ask the Street Fighter community if they think people do that. They do.
......................................I'm being trolled here right?

bubbaking

Smash Hero
This is beautiful! (*DBZ narrator voice*) Verm, the master Ganon, is arguing adamantly that Ganon is the worst character around, and Zelda is definitely better. His points are solid. Fuujin, the master Zelda, disagrees strongly, stating that Zelda is the worst character around and clearly worse than Ganon. His points are solid. :smash: This discussion is much, much better than any ZSS-for-Mid-Tier discussion we could be having now. :reverse:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Even the worst non-Dan, non-Oni/Evil, and non-Hakan characters (who AFAIK are all really bad, someone feel free to correct me though) have only a handful of 7-3 match-ups in SSF4:AE. Again, feel free to correct me here.

However, Smash is a different kind of game. They have a lot to consider when making a character, like how the character feels, how it will perform on a variety of stages, the game's various platforming elements, recovery options. Specifically, feel is very important. Meta Knight needs to feel like Meta Knight and Link needs to feel like Link. These goals tend to be incompatible with balance in a cast this size.

Feel was probably the most important goal for Sakurai, rather than balance. To most Smash players it doesn't matter how good or bad Link is so long as he has all of his weapons, a sword, and Zelda-like physics.

You'll notice that characters from the same universe tend to share certain attributes, for better or for worse. Link, Zelda, and Ganon are all slow as hell and super stiff. Meta Knight and Kirby are flexible and floaty. And so on.
I agree with you for the most part; feel is important yes (though I genuinely think that Link has a mediocre moveset that should have been fixed ages ago) but Sakurai should have followed some of the most basic rules of game balance (which he adhered to in Melee), even if it meant sacrificing fun-ness.

9? Its less then that. Yes, maybe 9 if you count the characters that have one godlike player (ex.salem with ZSS). But theres maybe 5 characters that have more than one top level player for them.
Lmao

Cassio

Smash Master
PJ-Brown, Dark Peach's video was agreeing with you, lol.
Nice try, but you're way off base with that assertion. Low/Bottom tiers are beyond terrible in Brawl, the gap between them and the "good" characters is huge. Way too big for my liking, and a far cry from SSF4, which has like... what every character bar Dan being viable?

Brawl is some of the worst character balance in the history of fighting games. 9~ characters out of a potential 41 characters being balanced is unacceptable.
This was a discussion that occured during the MK debates. Im not up with the SSF4 scene, but in the context of that debate calling brawl one of the worst balanced games in fighting game history is pretty innaccuate. Thats also ignoring the glaring fact that SSF4 was a rebalanced upgrade from SF4.

Also, complaining that certain characters only have a single prominent user is pretty silly. If one person is capable of achieving such results then its the standard for the meta-game, there's absolutely no reason other players are incapable of doing the same.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Rest, bthrow at the ledge, and fair are all very reliable.
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I was running late to work. :ohwell: Rest kinda kills... Bthrow, lolz, that doesn't kill! Fair COULD kill if you didn't stale it while racking up precious damage with it whenever you can. :smash:

I am surprised Link has never been ranked higher than he is currently. I constantly see Samus over Link and I still just don't get why. Even bowser or Jiggs for example. Ganon, make sense and so does Zelda. But, I just never saw why link should be this bad.
Link can't kill and his recovery can be stuffed by the dumbest gimmicks at ZERO. I think he has the absolute worst recovery in the game. Samus has none of those problems and she can do Link's job better than he can. Actually, Samus is, like, Link 2.0 in almost every way.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I meant to reply to this earlier, but I was running late to work. :ohwell: Rest kinda kills... Bthrow, lolz, that doesn't kill! Fair COULD kill if you didn't stale it while racking up precious damage with it whenever you can. :smash:

Link can't kill and his recovery can be stuffed by the dumbest gimmicks at ZERO. I think he has the absolute worst recovery in the game. Samus has none of those problems and she can do Link's job better than he can. Actually, Samus is, like, Link 2.0 in almost every way.
Puff players that use Fair to rack up damage are bad Puff players.

Also Dash Attack is a really good surprise Kill move, and Dacus can be successful for a mixup once or twice a set

Cassio

Smash Master
In regards to the Ganon vs other Low Tier debate, one thing I think worth addressing is that regardless of how poor a characters personal arsenal may be, every character still has a standard yet powerful set of features that allows them to compete. Spot dodge, shield, rolls etc. that might have minor discrepencies in frame data but still allows them to perform as a character. While I dont contest the large faults of a character like ganon, such features along with the fact that there is a user with a brain controlling their character allow for massive rewards for a well time spot dodge or a good read that is pretty substantial for Ganon compared to his other low tier peers.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Puff players that use Fair to rack up damage are bad Puff players.

Also Dash Attack is a really good surprise Kill move, and Dacus can be successful for a mixup once or twice a set
I guess most/all Puff players are bad then, because most (read: all) of the matches I've seen featured moderate-to-heavy usage of fair, along with bair and pound, at neutral in order to land hits. I don't blame them when they only have three or so moves to use. :smirk:

#BlatantExaggeration

I can't stress it enough though. Ganon's the weirdest character in the game in regard to his position. I feel that he, unlike those above him, has the actual ability to contend with top tier characters, but only under choice circumstances. The tradeoff is though, that while he can contend at a higher level with slightly more ease than the others, his overall odds against the rest of the cast are comparatively inferior, e.g. I think Ganon could handle Snake with MUCH greater ease than Jiggs, but I think Ganon suffers more in general against most other MUs.
Well, tbh, doing better against the Top Tiers matters a lot more than doing worse against the less important lower tiered chars. That alone can be an arguable reason towards Ganon not being the absolute worst char. Doing better against Snake, Marth, or Wario than Jiggs is PHENOMENAL in a tournament and can make all the difference in your placing, which is what the tier list should be aiming to display at the end of the day.

I'd say Jigglypuff does better vs. every relevant character aside from Snake and possibly Marth/Wario?
You forgot G&W, lolz. :p Also, this statement of yours pretty directly contradicts Verm's. If Ganon does better against the Top Tiers, then by default, that means he does better against the "relevant characters".

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
I guess most/all Puff players are bad then, because most (read: all) of the matches I've seen featured moderate-to-heavy usage of fair, along with bair and pound, at neutral in order to land hits. I don't blame them when they only have three or so moves to use. :smirk:

#BlatantExaggeration
Alright, let me rephrase: Puff players who use Fair to rack damage after low percent are bad because at that point (I would say around the 50% mark) you want to be conserving Fair in order to use it to kill.

Also Dair is a really good way to rack up damage in my experience, it has a relatively good amount of disjoint, and leads into some pretty alright stuff.

I also like Uair, even though it's not quite as good. I often jump in with a Uair against tall characters in order to pop them off the off the ground, and then hopefully follow up with a Utilt or another aerial.

Talking about Puff is fun, I can see why Grim enjoys it so much :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Just noticed that, with standard (40) PPP, this thread has 365 pages. If you read a page a day (which is a lot when you consider some of the lengthy posts in here) starting from the beginning, it would take one a year to get to THIS point of the thread. By then, I'm guessing the thread will have doubled in length. :crazy:

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
In regards to the Ganon vs other Low Tier debate, one thing I think worth addressing is that regardless of how poor a characters personal arsenal may be, every character still has a standard yet powerful set of features that allows them to compete. Spot dodge, shield, rolls etc. that might have minor discrepencies in frame data but still allows them to perform as a character. While I dont contest the large faults of a character like ganon, such features along with the fact that there is a user with a brain controlling their character allow for massive rewards for a well time spot dodge or a good read that is pretty substantial for Ganon compared to his other low tier peers.

This is exactly what I was saying.
Being two characters with no solid options to most situations, you have to rely on things like hard reads when playing a competent player.

When Ganon gets a hard read and he hits you, you go flying and die at 90(unless it's by something wonky like his down smash)

When Zelda gets a hard read and hits you also go flying and die about 110-120, but only IF:

She manages to land that tiny 1 frame hit box on the right part of a character.
OR
The opponent fails to escape her smash attack(if applicable).

Basically Zelda may be able to land more hits more frequently than Ganon because her frame data, but when half of these hits wont do more than 2-4 damage her moveset is MUCH less reliable.

I would get into why I think every other character is at least a tier better than Zelda and Ganon and how they should both be in their own tier at the bottom, but that's a somewhat different discussion.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Zelda actually has some speed and safety on some things, giving her the possibility of landing hits. And trust me, a good Zelda knows how to land sweetspots consistently. Ganon however has bad in ways no amount of precision can assist him with. When it comes down to it, landing a kill move at 90-110 is as unlikely as landing something like nair to dair as a combo for zelda. No one is gonna let this happen to them. Ganon is likely going to have to wait for a stale uair or bair to kill or a dash attack if someone gets greedy against him.

Zelda can't handle trades, but at least she and puff can make them. Ganon will likely just get outsped on whatever he is trying to bring out and get nothing out of it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Aaaaaand Fuujin is gone again.
Funny enough, this was a very reasonable discussion.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
The rules say you are not allowed to create another account to avoid your ban.

Cassio

Smash Master
Tesh that post was a bit vague. And landing sweet spots is a bit MU dependant methinks, Zelda wont be reliably landing them on characters with small frames. I also think a buffered dash attack oos is a pretty fine kill move for ganon, but maybe thats just against pika.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom