• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bowser Thread! Confirmed!!

TriforceJ

Smash Apprentice
Here are the pics, if anyone was wondering.

Bowser grabs the Smash Orb and prepares to unleash the fury that is...

...Giga Bowser!

It's a dark day for Yoshi's Island.

Even Isle Delfino isn't safe from this beast of darkness.

Luckily, our heroes know how to valiantly fight this fearsome creature.

• • • • •

Wow. I'm not normally a Bowser user, but after today, I'm seriously reconsidering that.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Bowser wins at the internet...

"What, you think just because he’s huge, you can needle him with lots of little attacks and keep him off balance? Heh heh... Yeah, you keep thinking that."

Florida

イーグランツ
Holy Crap! Who was it that said no one would do any transforming for Final Smashes? Looks like there will be, and Bowser looks great! What a terrifically appropriate FS for Bowser- it totallly references Smash Bros Melee! Even though his FS isn't actually from any sort of Mario game that I can think of, I like his FS a lot.

i wonder if this means anyone else could transform... Ganondorf ---> Ganon? (yet, doesn't Giga Bowser somehow resemble the Ganon from LoZ: OoT to anyone?)
Young Link ---> Fierce Deity?

Hard to say....

Also, I am actually on the fence when it comes to Bowser's new look alone. He seems so realistsic that its just starting to maybe push the boundaries of the uncanny valley... the detail in his face (the creases and such) make him so much meaner looking, and less cute/cartoony. I wonder if we can expect Bowser to look like this in any future games?
Bowser's Giga and Ganondorf's Ganon would be enough for transformation, we don't want the Final Smashes to get too unoriginal. I agree that this was an excellent choice for Bowser's Final Smash, in all of the other games which Bowser was in, I couldn't think of a better Final Smash for him. His clown mobile? Nah, can't see it working. Good update.

As for the design of Bowser. I think they're taking the design from Super Mario Galaxy.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
As for the design of Bowser. I think they're taking the design from Super Mario Galaxy.
I was hinting at that when I said I wonder if he will look like this in any upcoming Mario games ^.^

I was also considering his clown mobile as a possible option for his FS, but I, too, had trouble seeing it work in my head. Mayeb the clown mobile could be a possible special move (doubt it), or maybe even a new item (i think that is a better possibilty)? On the other hand, they did say Bowser will have a new "flavor," but who the hel knows what that could mean anymore?

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
i wonder if this means anyone else could transform... Ganondorf ---> Ganon? (yet, doesn't Giga Bowser somehow resemble the Ganon from LoZ: OoT to anyone?)
Young Link ---> Fierce Deity?
First, let me say, I dunno if Young link is coming back. But that'd be smexy.

Secondly, a long time ago, I was opposed to Ganondorf becoming Ganon for Final Smash... but now with this beautiful Giga Bowser stuff... I'm not that opposed... I'm still sad that they'll probably give Ganondorf a sword... U_U But, at least I have Snake.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Now I'm convinced normal Bowser should've been in the same style as Hammer Bro, if would make the transformation even more dramatic.

:034:

Smash Hero
Holy hell, things are looking up for good ol' Bowser. I might consider playing him again...

Fawriel

Smash Master
I'm guessing that Giga Bowser either

a) receives only "phantom hits", or
b) only receives stun from really powerful attacks, hinting at a possible "Armor" ability. Of course, this is countered immediately by Zelda's lightning kick, but maybe she hits with the sourspot or something.

And while I'm here already and the "improvements for Bowser" thread ( which I frankly didn't read ) is locked, here's an idea I had:
His tilts could, at low damage, have set knockback ( meaning that it starts at a set amount and then starts rising after a certain percentage ).
This would allow him to send an opponent right off the edge with some trick leading them into an f-tilt, then use his masterful edgeguarding abilities on them.
It would actually give him a subtle, but effective trick to make use of one of his biggest strengths.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Man, I just love his new look! This really gives me hope, concerning the look-changes of the other characters. I mean Zelda was a given, they couldn't really make her look different from TP. But Bowser! MAN! I really get the feeling he wanna kill me from that look!

EDIT: Btw, I was just thinking that maybe Giga-bowser could be his Final Smash.
Alright I don't know how likely that is, but it definitely is a possibility!
OMG I GUESSED IT!!! I'M MENTAL!

Anyways, that's probably the most awesome Final yet. :chuckle:

iamsamcake

Smash Rookie
that would be nice to have an early indicator about atleast someone being in brawl from fire emblem.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Well, looks like I'm just gonna have to give up on Final Smashes. This is absolutely idiotic. With such an amazing start to the week, I was pretty much expecting a buzzkill.

The Clown Car was the way to go, though by no means the only option. The clown car was inventive. It had ironic juxtaposition to Bowser's role, and threw big balls. But now, we're stuck with some ridiculous large Bowser that was shivved in to Melee as an Adventure mode boss because Master Hand was getting old. This DBZ mentality has got to stop, what with the "MARIO SHOTS GIANT FIREBALLZ" and "BOWSER IS HUEG!" This doesn't bode well for good, game-referencing movesets for any of the characters either. With so many great ways to feature Bowser from his games, they use the one desecration that they created.

Good job.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Giga Bowser looks like badass incarnate right now. You know,someone on the boards mentioned yesterday that GB was going to be Bowser's final smash,and I blew him off! With Bowser's new look,new "flavor",and this Giga Bowser thing,I think its safe to say that Bowser will be the king of the top tier!

Metroid_01

Smash Journeyman
Atlanta, GA (school yr), Miami, Fl (summer)
What would you rather be represented pomfrod
He already stated what he wanted in his post. A representation of the character from its own games, not something they made up on the spot.

However, personally, I like the idea of Giga-Bowser more, I think it is more fitting for him to transform into something like that and unleash on everyone.

the grim lizard

Smash Master
Well, looks like I'm just gonna have to give up on Final Smashes. This is absolutely idiotic. With such an amazing start to the week, I was pretty much expecting a buzzkill.

The Clown Car was the way to go, though by no means the only option. The clown car was inventive. It had ironic juxtaposition to Bowser's role, and threw big balls. But now, we're stuck with some ridiculous large Bowser that was shivved in to Melee as an Adventure mode boss because Master Hand was getting old. This DBZ mentality has got to stop, what with the "MARIO SHOTS GIANT FIREBALLZ" and "BOWSER IS HUEG!" This doesn't bode well for good, game-referencing movesets for any of the characters either. With so many great ways to feature Bowser from his games, they use the one desecration that they created.

Good job.
Ar--are you serious?!!

And by the way, you contradict yourself because you're complaining about Bowser's lack of moves from games, and then you complain about mario having fireballs...umm...pretty sure that was in a good chunk of his games

And what "DBZ mentality"?? Every DBZ game ever made has sucked hard. Smash, on the other hand, has always been awesome...I don't know where you get off.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC

Good job.
You can't get everything you want. Must EVERY SINGLE ONE of Bowser's move reference a Mario game? Like how Epic Movie references every single move possible?

The point of Smash is to have fun. How can you not have fun turning into a giant monster destroying everything around you?

Plus, the Clown Car might still be in the game, just no his Final Smash.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
And what "DBZ mentality"?? Every DBZ game ever made has sucked hard. Smash, on the other hand, has always been awesome...I don't know where you get off.

I think by DZ mentality he meant that for the final smashes they are huge powerful moves,not the qualities of the games.

Tiamat

Smash Journeyman
Just pretend that it's a representation of how Bowser is sometimes depicted as HUGE in the Mario games and it all fits! ....sorta. :p

Spree

Smash Rookie
sdsfgfhghdgs!!!

If my beloved Mewtwo doesn't return (heck, even if he does), this gives me further reason to continue using Bowsah.

Oh man, I've *always* wanted to play Giga, back from my wee SSBMless days.

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Heh.. I feel bad for Mario the day he has to rescue Peach from that Monster!

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca
guys, giga isnt THAT amazing...unless they changed him from melee, all that happens is his moves get super strong and have added stun time on opponents (from freezing, burning, and electrifying...).

but, with this 'near invincibilty', he could be as unstoppable as he looks. maybe they do the opposite of a cloaking device, where he still takes damage but gets no knockback...which would lead to much pain after the final wears off...

GameAngel64

Smash Journeyman
Also, I am actually on the fence when it comes to Bowser's new look alone. He seems so realistsic that its just starting to maybe push the boundaries of the uncanny valley... the detail in his face (the creases and such) make him so much meaner looking, and less cute/cartoony. I wonder if we can expect Bowser to look like this in any future games?
Obviously I can't say this with any real certainly, but I figure (and it is my hope as well) that Bowser will maintain his role as the kinda goofy villain in the Mario games proper. In Brawl, if you look at everybody, they all kind of have this scowl on their faces, like they're seriously P.O.ed and ready to fight. Even Zelda looks pretty dark, especially her face in that main picture of her. And that's fine for SSB, Bowser's dark look works great here. I'd just doubt/hate for his character to be completely changed in the main series. There are enough truly dark sinister villains in the world, Bowser is a villain with a twist!

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, and the details and such are there because Smash has always tried (since Melee anyways..) to keep a more realistic look than the other games. Which is why Mario has those real-looking overalls, while in Galaxy he's wearing his totally blue plain overalls.

Rash

Smash Ace
but, with this 'near invincibilty', he could be as unstoppable as he looks. maybe they do the opposite of a cloaking device, where he still takes damage but gets no knockback...which would lead to much pain after the final wears off...
That's what I was thinking, too. Being able to slightly damage Giga Bowser without necessarily causing knockback makes sense.

However, all of the other final smashes have made it seem like the user is invincible while using them, thus giving an urgency to run away from the attack rather than try to counter it. That's what gives the impression that Giga Bowser really is invincible.

Enlong

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm... This is a cool move, and really, Bowser going huge and wreaking havoc like that is way too much fun to not have. This also makes a final smash idea for Ganondorf a bit easier to imagine.

As for the lack of the Koopa Clown Car, there's still a place where it could be. What if they bring back individualized entrances?

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
bowser pwns more than anybody right now because of this update. not only can he now transform into the most sinister looking things to come out of smash, but he's invincible when he does it.

bowser is going to pwn in brawl. i'm so happy i main him

hell, all the characters with final smashes i main (cept kirby) and i love them all! brawl is gonna kickas*

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Bowser is my only main that made it so far, still waiting on Ganon/Ice Climbers/Ness. :(

spjd

Smash Apprentice
Am I the only one who's starting to think Kirby really hit the sh*t concerning Final Smash?

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, it looks like Kirby got the short end of the stick, but who knows, maybe his FS will be amazing. :p

Top Bottom