• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
OK, I try to use some good arguments. Alright?

That's the stupidest reason you could do that. I could come up with better reasons that Pika could possibly be worse on the tier list and I actually think he'll be high in high tier soon.
Well, Pikachu does not have broken range on anything except Dsmash. FSmash is as slow as Mario's so it is very situational. Thunder is potentially even more situational. Provided, it is a good move, but it is hard to set up on a good opponent. USmash has limited range and as far as Dsmash goes, even if you don't di out of the move before the final hit, You can Di horizontally to avoid being set up for thunder.

Also, Pikachu's kill moves are limited to thunder, Dsmash, Fsmash, and Usmash. Thunder should rarely hit a smart opponent, Fsmash is slow, and Dsmash will very likely be degraded. Only Usmash could be considered a reliable kill move. Honestly, I'd put him right above Ice Climbers.

Again, with the tourney results. For him it's actually significant because there aren't any incredible weegees out there but still, there are better things going for and against him than that.
Honestly, I don't care where Luigi is but I would like him to at least be in the same tier area as Samus because I do not beleive Luigi out performs her in moveset and matchups by that big of a margin.

Yay for arguments that mean something. Though she's range, priority etc isn't all that good either. Mario is overall better than Sheik though, we can discuss this if you want and I doubt they've been compared. ;P
Mario does have problems killing anyone with good spacing by means other than gimping due to few kill moves and poor range so he does not outperform Shiek in this regard by a terrible amount.

Shiek does have decent range on a few of her attacks (ftilt, utilt, uair), she has a less predictable projectile (Mario's is okay as an approaching tool, but it is much less useful on an aerial opponent), but most importantly, she has better matchups than he does. If you look at their respective matchup threads, she has more advantageous matchups than he does. I will need to look at their matchup charts more closely to comment on it further.

ew reason, but low tier is where he sits for sure. At least for now, Sonic has room to grow still. :D
Sonic has better range than Mario, can cancel all of his approaches, has innate comboing ability, has a golden recovery, has a much better grab game than Mario, and that is only a few things Sonic has over Mario.

fixed, and no comment lol
Thank You :laugh:.

ew Ike, ew reason, ew Ike, ew no. lol
Like I said, I don't care much about Ike and I do not want to start arguing against Yoshi mainers about his placement

I say raise Samus. Luigi could even be higher himself, the potential of him is uncertain still and Samus is still developing so don't go changing one because of one minor detail they have in common. They are nothing alike to begin with.

What's with you and tourney results being like the only knowledge of the character you possess towards how good they are? I'm sure it isn't but from this it seems that way.lol No offence but it's just bad and doesn't really boast or weaken a character in the game itself. Just a heads up

Tourney results are the best tool to analyze the current metagame plain and simple. And this metagame says Meta is god, Luigi is VERY underplayed (Personally, I don't think he is special due to his matchups with higher tiers), and that Yoshi has not be played to his full potential as of right now.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I lol at this fail.

Lucas has enough potential to put him at low mid at least. Hes recovery is beast with Zapjump, he has a decent ground game, a decent aerial game, and a meh meh projectile game. He is in no way horrible.
Lucas' aerial game is not "decent", it's terrible. He arguably has the worst aerials in the game. His projectile is "meh" like you said. He has no approach. All he has is an average ground game and good recovery. This character does not belong in mid tier at all, he's bad.

Forgot to mention some characters get free grab release damage on him too.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
Lucas' aerial game is not "decent", it's terrible. He arguably has the worst aerials in the game. His projectile is "meh" like you said. He has no approach. All he has is an average ground game and good recovery. This character does not belong in mid tier at all, he's bad.

Good god, you're not very educated about Lucas at all.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····

lucas' aerial game is great, what are you talking about?

nair-lucas' best aerial, it auto cancels , can be used to edge guard, and does above average damage(for him at least), can shield stab, can lead to many moves when it hits

fair- a great spacer, can't be shield grabbed if your good, a decent kill move, does average damage, leads to almost any other move when the opponents are at low%, has an auto cancel if you use it fast enough in a short hop

dair- a great move in my opinion, this attack can be full hopped and fast falled and land without lag, and since the opponent is spiked into the ground if they don't react fast enough you can get a f-smash off. the only draw back to this attack is that it has quite some lag when shorthopped.

bair- an ok attack, the only thing good is that it can spike, always has lag, a poor spacer, does little damage.

uair- although I never use this it is a decent kill move, does average damage, little lag if used while falling(which it never should)

as far as the pk fire goes, its good but not great, the only thing holding it back from being really good is damage. it only does 8-6% based on how far away they are. it is very abusable

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Again, Isn't the primary factor of Tier List's are Matchup's?
The primary factor of Tier Lists is the ability of the "character" in the game. This is a direct result of the goal of finding the tiers being "to find the absolute potentially best character in the game."

Match ups play a significant part and eventually seem like the main factor because at the highest level, which is reached over years of playing the game, the character match up becomes very important to winning the given match at the time. Match ups do play a very large factor in the tier list otherwise because it indicates how advantageous and how frequently the advantage will come to every individual character through the roster of the game. This takes a long time to develop therefore it is flawed on its own until the final stages of developpement.

Results of wins vs losses are also a significant factor. This is not only the most reliable factor over the course of long periods and the masses, but also becomes the most flawed and error influenced factor in the process. All of the data from every match at a high level could be recorded and put together, then through a filter of mathematics could become a very accurate tier list. More accurate than any other statistics could create.

Though, at the same time, this naturally would take in human error (which consists of everything from missed attempts to having a good day), difference in skill level (including the largest flaw in that one could play the same opponent multiple times and another one of the same level could play a different level opponent the same number of times yet have different results) and time (which conflicts with the developpement that takes place and that goes hand in hand with conflicting the actual out come once developped)

However, in the big, final picture, this only goes so far. Tiers exist in everything. An example would be hockey (this is a really easy example for me to use and Mmac and I are Canadian, so sorry if someone reads this and doesn't understand lol).

Match ups exist in everything, and hockey is something so it inevitably has match ups. Just last year Montreal was undefeated against Boston. 8-0 I believe during the regular season. Then in the first round of the Playoffs, Boston took the best of 7 series with them to 7 games. The match up was one sided until they found what worked. Their teams didn't suddenly drastically change, they just figured out the match up.

For years, there were match ups in melee that were in favor of one character until finally the match up was done enough to develop fully and show the true odds. In Brawl, we're in the first year and already major shifts have taken place. Expect this to happen for a long time as match ups continue to resolve.

Wins and losses can prove to be the best source of information on who is the best in the game. This takes every aspect into account and files it into one. For the most part, this can follow the growth of the game as well as anything but the mind and experience at the highest level itself. Sadly, this is the most faulty statistic in possibly existence (exageration)

Every season, NHL staff and analysts come up with a very good estimate of who will win the cup, who will make the playoffs and who will be the worse teams for the next year. Every year they are very accurate. Even after large changes are made in the off season. Much like someone in the smash community discovering a new chaingrab or tick. The way the next season can actually be even slightly predicted is from results of the previous season. Just like the way we can find the tier list of a game takes into account where it has come from. Though it has never been predicted correctly and yet they've been doing this since the beginning of the game. Much like our community.

Even in the middle of developpement, what we know as the current tier list can dramatically shift. An example would be a mid season trade or sudden uprising in skill level on a team changing their game. An example that fits this is the year after the lock out in the NHL. (I love this example because it's probably the best prediction I've ever made in my life. And I got $300 for predicting it lol)

At the trade deadline, the Edmonton Oilers were barely out of the playoffs and they traded for a goalie. The rest of the season was a close battle between various teams to fight for a spot in the playoffs. For Edmonton, it all came down to the goalie and if he would click with the team in time for the playoffs. The last few games of the regular season, they dominated and got the final spot. Then, in the first round, they beat the best team in the league. Edmonton went on to the final and in the 7th game, the very last game of the season, they lost.

This type of change happens frequently. Usually not as significant but still worthy to note. Sometimes it can be a new "trap" style of play implemented because it's found effective, or maybe it's wavedashing. Sometimes is character based like a new goalie or new knee combo. The game always changes, or at least the way it is played does. This will forever faulter the earlier results to a point where the final calculations can be nearly invalid. And surely, not everything is being taken into account when our statistics come to an end.

Every game, every thing really, has different factors with priority. Match ups and tournaments have the greatest athority in video games like smash bros. Though with the other statistical atributes that can be found through playing the game, nothing will resolve because of the many flaws in the data creating different out comes on all fronts.

These two things, along with everything else, then factor in with what is known outside of statistics. The thing that often clashes with statistics and ultamitely makes the final decision in clearing out flaws to form the actual found data, knowledge and concepts into a tier list. Our own minds.

Well, Pikachu does not have broken range on anything except Dsmash.
Wario doesn't have broken range either. Half the cast doesn't, they rely on other things. Range is only one part of the game. Pika isn't good because of his range, that's for sure.

Pikachu's kill moves are limited to thunder, Dsmash, Fsmash, and Usmash. Honestly, I'd put him right above Ice Climbers.
And Nair is quite usefull. The kill moves aren't important though. Look at Fox, he kind of has fsmash, uair, bair and usmash but it's almost rare to see him kill with anything but usmash unless it's an edgeguard or something along those lines. And those are the kills Pika gets because he simply doesn't have a fsmash like Luigis or dsmash like DKs to rely on. Above all, he doesn't need it.

And where are the ICs? Only recently have they even been noticed, they'll probably end up in high tier or at least close. You think Pika should be there too?

Honestly, I don't care where Luigi is but I would like him to at least be in the same tier area as Samus because I do not beleive Luigi out performs her in moveset and matchups by that big of a margin.
Fair enough. There's nothing really to discuss here. My guess for why he's higher than her right now (in terms of statistics because that's what I would guess is the deciding factor in your mind) is how the match ups they do have favor Luigi. In that he beats better characters than her. But I don't think this is why he is a better character, or is thought to be better right now.

Mario does have problems killing anyone with good spacing by means other than gimping due to few kill moves and poor range so he does not outperform Shiek in this regard by a terrible amount.

Shiek does have decent range on a few of her attacks (ftilt, utilt, uair), she has a less predictable projectile (Mario's is okay as an approaching tool, but it is much less useful on an aerial opponent)
This is why they are very close in ability/on the tier. Through match ups, they're very close again. Both have room to grow but Mario has probable potential that she probably lacks. Possibly because he can actually kill at low % somehow (better than no way) and Sheik can be killed quicker from simply a couple big hits and Mario has things like the cape that having really been exploited fully yet. Though who knows what will happen with jackets and fluud... :O
lol

Sonic has better range than Mario, can cancel all of his approaches, has innate comboing ability, has a golden recovery, has a much better grab game than Mario, and that is only a few things Sonic has over Mario.

His combo game isn't something he has over Mario. Mario owns in that department. His approaches are good sure, but Mario is very diverse that way too. Also, he's got a great defensive game which stops approaches. Simply put, Mario can kill, is more versitile and balanced as a character and holds lots of trixies.

Like I said, I don't care much about Ike and I do not want to start arguing against Yoshi mainers about his placement
Regarding Ike, don't listen to me. I think he's garbage and people just don't see it yet. He's still good, just you know...he's already too high on regular lists for his own good. >_>

Tourney results are the best tool to analyze the current metagame plain and simple. And this metagame says Meta is god, Luigi is VERY underplayed (Personally, I don't think he is special due to his matchups with higher tiers), and that Yoshi has not be played to his full potential as of right now.
This is partially true. Though that rankings list goes back to just after the game came out. It's actually VERY far from "current". The part that is not true about tourneys being a factor is because characters get underplayed (like Luigi) therefore are underrated (like Luigi, and we all know what happens when people shut themselves off from using their own brains and stick to their stats, just look at what happened regarding Yoshi debates) No character has been played to their FULL potential. Some characters are rarely played to match what can be called their CURRENT potential and some characters have more UNTAPPED potential than others because of this. This is where tourney records go extremely wrong and why this "rankings" system was never made in making tier lists until this game. It had been done before, but it's amazing that it has actually accumulated so much decision by the masses that it's a set in stone type of thing on how good characters are. It actually confuses me because it's so flawed. But I think I've had this discussion before recently. So I'm just going to not talk about it. >_>

Ripple speaks the truth. Lucas has odd aerials, odd everything really. For me, as a Random main, he was the last character I could ever compete confidently with in tourneys and have yet to use him for counter picking in the late stages of large tournaments. His slow smashes, wobbly air game and quick tilts make him awkward for me. None the less, all of the weird traits Lucas has, when together, form quite an impressive moveset.

He has everything from good spacers to multihitters to spikes in terms of aerials. They are just weird as everything. His spikes are a multihitting down air that has a moving hit box and his back air (of all things) with bizarre knockback properties that seemingly depend on his momentum and the momentum of the target.

His ground game is good. His jab is possibly the quickest and he can hit from a good distance with everything. Finishing isn't a problem often and his approach often will be at the same time as his camping because PKF is so messed up.

I don't like Lucas though (because he screws me up sometimes), so I'm actually possibly biased against him, Ike and Roy (glad Roy's not in Brawl cough lol). Still, he's a mid tier character...low mid >_>

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
His combo game isn't something he has over Mario. Mario owns in that department. His approaches are good sure, but Mario is very diverse that way too. Also, he's got a great defensive game which stops approaches. Simply put, Mario can kill, is more versitile and balanced as a character and holds lots of trixi
Combo wise? I disagree. Sonic's combos can be used up to higher percentages where as Mario's do not, nor does he have the speed to continuously chase the opponent and continue a string.

Approaches wise also goes to Sonic.
In both diversity and effectiveness Sonic beats mario out.
Though sonic's does tend to be a bit more risky.

I agree with everything else though.
He is more versatile, better balanced, (being balanced means you suck though T_T)

I think part of what holds mario back is not killing ability (not hard to kill with Mario though his Fsmash leaves much to be desired), but being ableto get the opponent into killing percentages.

As I mentioned earlier, his combos aren't as reliable at higher percentages. So does well at first but seems to slow down in what he can do afterwards.
I am unsure about his range but I don't believe its good either. Its average. =/

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I was gonna make a tier list, but apparently there's no point due to the perfect tier list that Snowstalker made. It's the best one i've seen, someone got Weegee's placement right! There's just a couple things i'd change, but now worth commenting on them.

gantrain05

Smash Master
just because you people can't play lucas worth a ****, doesn't make him a bad character, it just makes you a bad player, or you haven't taken time to learn how to play with him. he has all the potential to make it out of mid tier, he's got everything you need to win vs just about anybody, he's got spacers, multihits, great throws (although his tether grab is a bit slow and doesn't have much range) 2 spikes, very fast tilts, and very powerful smashes that aren't too slow to actually hit with. he was my main for the first 6 months of brawls release, he's moved to my secondary after peach, but i still do very well in tournies with him.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Have you been reading what the Yoshi players in this thread have been saying? Yoshi is certainly not bottom tier.
yeah, i hear every thing the yoshi players are saying, that doesn't change the fact he's still aweful. just because like 3 yoshi mains say yoshi isn't bottom tier doesn't change the fact that he is, lets just take a look at yoshi for a minute here. he has an absolute horrible edgegaurding game, and is one of the easier characters to edgegaurd, nearly all of his kill moves are too slow or too awkward to hit with besides maybe Dsmash, even with his "draconic reverse" he still sucks, and just so u know EVERYBODY can pivot grab, yoshi isn't special. his lack of 3rd jump makes it even easier to edgegaurd considering he's the only character that can be footstooled and then have no chance of coming back. he has no OOS options at all, and a horrible approach game? now tell me, how does that take him above anyone besides maybe capn falcon?

what double post?

Mmac

Smash Lord
I know how I can make him fun to argue with, I can Find how many lies I can find in that one post

yeah, i hear every thing the yoshi players are saying, that doesn't change the fact he's still aweful. just because like 3 yoshi mains say yoshi isn't bottom tier doesn't change the fact that he is,
Well, nothing really to argue with hear, but theres alot more than Just 3 mains, so I'll count it. 1

Edit: I didn't notice that "Awful part", Thats a 2

lets just take a look at yoshi for a minute here. he has an absolute horrible edgegaurding game,
Hmmm... Fair Spike, Dair Lock/Spike, Bairs, Nairs, and Egg's. That's quite a bit of Edgeguarding options if you ask me. 3

land is one of the easier characters to edgegaurd,
Yeah, I like to see you Edgeguard a Double Jump Airdodge. 4

nearly all of his kill moves are too slow or too awkward to hit with besides maybe Dsmash,
Not true at all, and Dsmash isn't really a reliable Killmove anymore (Thank you Sakurai >_>). 6

even with his "draconic reverse" he still sucks,
You're honestly saying a Wave Dash sucks? 7

and just so u know EVERYBODY can pivot grab,
But how many Pivot Grabs actually IMPROVE their game? I thought so. 8

yoshi isn't special.
Yes he is. 9

his lack of 3rd jump makes it even easier to edgegaurd
Yes, Heavy Armour and Moveablility makes it so Easy to edgeguard! Of course! 10

considering he's the only character that can be footstooled and then have no chance of coming back.
Except he will usually be Airdodgeing during his double jump in the first place, plus he can usually cancel it out and make it back with UpB's. 11

he has no OOS options at all,
He has minimal OOS Options, but still has a few. 12

Plus Pivot Grabs are better than his shield anyways

and a horrible approach game?
Not horrible at all. He's got quite a bit of good approaches. 13

now tell me, how does that take him above anyone besides maybe capn falcon?
I dunno, how can anyone be good with all the lies you spew? You could probably do the same with MetaKnight if you tried. 14

what double post?
The one that above the post I'm replying to? 15

Congratulations! You failed 15 times! I think you deserve a cookie!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
yoshi is and always will be a low tier character

truth+1

Mmac

Smash Lord

truth+1
I personally think he's a Mid Tier Character now

But I personally don't care as long as he's not in Bottom/Lower Parts of Low Tier, because theres no way he belongs there

Dynamism?

Smash Champion
Mmac speaks the truth. (I meant to say this a long time ago as well)

Mid tier is going to be HUGE lol

mid and low are barely divisible and bottom is gonna be tiny.

Edit: And yeah, Mario can combo up to the 70s or so, often more. That's enough. Then all it takes is a few bairs and fireballs until a dsmash sets up some edgeguarding for more % and an eventual KO.
:\

Being balanced means Mario sucks? Or did you mean you as in me and say I suck because Mario is a balanced character? lol

Anywhoziez...this game has far to go still. >_>

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
G&W vs Snake.

I think The lil black dude should be above Snake now....thats just me but ya. Snake is overall good, but once you start to know him better he doesn't feel as massive.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Snake still has much better tourney results JFYI. I even think, that GaW is dropping...

Zinc Elemental

Smash Journeyman
Because it's like you said that only the yoshi mains think yoshi is any good :laugh:
Actually, I disloike your wording. >_< I didn't mean to imply that the Yoshi mains have an inflated sense of how good he is. I think he IS relatively good (well, mid tier good), and the Yoshi mains are the only ones who actually know him well enough to say so.

Then again, this is coming from a MK, who has a suprisingly difficult time with Yoshi.

truth+1
That's clearly how we need to look at things: based on how good he was in past games. Is Kirby still terrible or Captain Falcon or Jigglypuff still good?

Fail + 1

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
I'm just mad everyone has Luigi so low in their lists. If course, he has some problems. However, I fail to see how, by any stretch of the mind, that ZSS>Luigi and/or Luigi= Low tier. The only thing keeping him from being very high in mid tier, or possibly the bottom of high tier, are his abysmal tournament results. Then again, I believe that tournament results should have little to no say in tier mists. That's fault of the player, not the character.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
I'm just mad everyone has Luigi so low in their lists. If course, he has some problems. However, I fail to see how, by any stretch of the mind, that ZSS>Luigi and/or Luigi= Low tier. The only thing keeping him from being very high in mid tier, or possibly the bottom of high tier, are his abysmal tournament results. Then again, I believe that tournament results should have little to no say in tier mists. That's fault of the player, not the character.
ZSS>Luigi should have no debate, ZSS has range, she has juggles, she has combos, edguarding skills, more mobility unless luigi is doing VB, and is just an all around better character. Luigi's kills include ^B, and smashes, his aerials were robbed of the power of combo-ability that they had in melee (triple nair ftw >.>). His recovery may be among the best in the game and not the easiest to edgeguard, but that never helps when you hit the wall and create a neon explosion at ~100% anyway. Don't for a second think that Zamus is that easy to edgehog, good aerial mobility + Vb + DI = Safe returns for Zamus.

Julz

Smash Apprentice
I was gonna make a tier list, but apparently there's no point due to the perfect tier list that Snowstalker made. It's the best one i've seen, someone got Weegee's placement right! There's just a couple things i'd change, but now worth commenting on them.
GOD TIER:

Meta Knight

TOP TIER:

Snake
Mr. Game & Watch
Falco
King Dedede
Marth
R.O.B

HIGH:

Olimar
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Donkey Kong
Wario
Kirby
Pikachu
Pit
Wolf

MIDDLE:

Ice Climbers
Toon Link
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Luigi
Fox
Peach
Lucas
Ness

LOW:

Mario
Sonic
Yoshi
Bowser
Shiek
Pokemon Trainer
Ike
Samus

BOTTOM:

Link
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon
Ganondorf
Quoted to save time in lurking.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I think that with Snowstalker's list, PT should be slightly higher up, as should Yoshi. Of course, there aren't many people progressing their games, so that would influence people's views, but I think they have a lot of potential.

gantrain05

Smash Master
I know how I can make him fun to argue with, I can Find how many lies I can find in that one post

Well, nothing really to argue with hear, but theres alot more than Just 3 mains, so I'll count it. 1

Edit: I didn't notice that "Awful part", Thats a 2

Hmmm... Fair Spike, Dair Lock/Spike, Bairs, Nairs, and Egg's. That's quite a bit of Edgeguarding options if you ask me. 3

Yeah, I like to see you Edgeguard a Double Jump Airdodge. 4

Not true at all, and Dsmash isn't really a reliable Killmove anymore (Thank you Sakurai >_>). 6

You're honestly saying a Wave Dash sucks? 7

But how many Pivot Grabs actually IMPROVE their game? I thought so. 8

Yes he is. 9

Yes, Heavy Armour and Moveablility makes it so Easy to edgeguard! Of course! 10

Except he will usually be Airdodgeing during his double jump in the first place, plus he can usually cancel it out and make it back with UpB's. 11

He has minimal OOS Options, but still has a few. 12

Plus Pivot Grabs are better than his shield anyways

Not horrible at all. He's got quite a bit of good approaches. 13

I dunno, how can anyone be good with all the lies you spew? You could probably do the same with MetaKnight if you tried. 14

The one that above the post I'm replying to? 15

Congratulations! You failed 15 times! I think you deserve a cookie!
lol you cant just say, oh well i can airdodge so it cancels every edgegaurd attempt that anyone could possibly do to yoshi. a smart player isnt goin to just jump out and launch an attack, the player on the stage knows they have the advantage so they jump out, and space yoshi while he's floating in the air, if yoshi airdodges he waits till the end of the dodge to strike, if yoshi strikes back, you are spaced well enough to punish any arial yoshi can put out.
and as for good approaches, you say he has good approaches yet you failed to list any of them. and how do you plan to pivot grab an arial approach that his pivot grab will have no effect on? shield? oh and then what.

Mmac

Smash Lord
lol you cant just say, oh well i can airdodge so it cancels every edgegaurd attempt that anyone could possibly do to yoshi. a smart player isnt goin to just jump out and launch an attack, the player on the stage knows they have the advantage so they jump out, and space yoshi while he's floating in the air, if yoshi airdodges he waits till the end of the dodge to strike, if yoshi strikes back, you are spaced well enough to punish any arial yoshi can put out.
He's not just going to Airdodge all the time you know. You think that Yoshi's don't know spacing either? Plus how can you fake him out when he moves at least twice as fast in the air than almost the entire cast? He's going to be airdodging, and going to airdodge right past you. Plus what if he goes for the Ledge? Then wheres you're master plan? 16

and as for good approaches, you say he has good approaches yet you failed to list any of them.
Bair, Bair to Combo, Dair, Nair, Dash, Ftilt, Dtilt, Dsmash, DR Dsmash, Sliding Usmash, SH Egg Toss to Nair, DJC EggLay.

and how do you plan to pivot grab an arial approach that his pivot grab will have no effect on? shield?
Well, define what type of AERIAL you're defining. Yoshi's Pivot Grab stop all Aerials unless he isn't 100% Above him, which basically means that almost no Horizontal Aerial Approach can beat it. Directly above does, but you really think Yoshi isn't going to notice that you are above him? You are going to eat a Uair/Usmash to the face. 17

oh and then what.
Your death. 18

Falling Whistness

Smash Apprentice
New version of the average tier list, compiled by averaging the lists in this thread:

Top Tier:
1. Meta Knight
2. Snake

High Tier:
1. Mr. Game & Watch
2. Marth
3. King DeDeDe
4. Falco
5. R.O.B.

Upper Middle Tier:
1. Wario
2. Olimar

Middle Tier:
1. Lucario
2. Donkey Kong
3. Pikachu
4. Wolf
5. Pit
6. Toon Link
7. Ice Climbers
8. Kirby
9. Diddy Kong

Lower Middle Tier:
1. Fox
2. Zelda

Upper Low Tier:
1. Zero Suit Samus
2. Luigi
3. Lucas
4. Ness
5. Peach

Low Tier:
1. Mario
2. Ike
3. Sonic
4. Sheik
5. Pokemon Trainer
6. Bowser

Bottom Tier:
1. Samus
2. Yoshi
3. Link
4. Jigglypuff
5. Ganondorf
6. Captain Falcon

Meta Knight finally overtakes Snake at the top of the average tier list.
Biggest movers: Pikachu moves up, and Toon Link moves down.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
lol at gantrain being an idiot

And ****, you really read through all the pages and made that list O_o

It's still wrong though =\

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
ZSS>Luigi should have no debate, ZSS has range, she has juggles, she has combos, edguarding skills, more mobility unless luigi is doing VB, and is just an all around better character. Luigi's kills include ^B, and smashes, his aerials were robbed of the power of combo-ability that they had in melee (triple nair ftw >.>). His recovery may be among the best in the game and not the easiest to edgeguard, but that never helps when you hit the wall and create a neon explosion at ~100% anyway. Don't for a second think that Zamus is that easy to edgehog, good aerial mobility + Vb + DI = Safe returns for Zamus.
ZSS relies too much on forward special for her kills. Sure, it has range but it's really easy to avoid and predictable. All you have to do is roll behind her and punish the ending lag. She doesn't have a traditional down smash either; It's harder for her to punish your rolls. Luigi can juggle just as easily as her too. His up tilt destroys fast fallers and neutral air is good for keeping them in the air since it hits them straight up. Luigi has one powerful aerial that's a good killing move: his neutral air. It kills at around 120% if done from a short hop but if you done high in the air, it can kill at 110% or 100%. Luigi's aerials still have amazing combo ability. Perhaps even more so since forward air lost knock back.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, Wario's been quite popular lately.
Popularity has nothing to do with tiers. Wario's grab release exploits alone bring him down from high tier, but not by much considering how hard it is to actually grab him.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Just a question to boost my Wario skills, but should DownB be reserved for recovery purposes or for attacking? I never know how to use it...>_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom