• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jngshin

Smash Cadet
although its true marth got nerfed quite a bit, i feel that every character is much weaker than in brawl. meaning..put the top tier melee characters into brawl and they'll completely ****. they are quicker, hit faster, etc etc. so comparing any melee char to brawl is unfair. Even the weaker marth is still definitely high tier in brawl,

right now I am definitely feelng lucas and dedede as chars with high metagame potential. they have surprising and strong moves. metakniht seems underrated, he can wall ofpain extemely well due to his attacks high range and priority. also, flying chars shud end up havng a huge advantage due to their higher ability to edgeguard

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
Sonic? I don't think so.

Snake on the other hand... oh boy. For now, definitely top.

From previous tournament results, Snake, Metaknight, Olimar, and Zelda seem to have a high place up there. PKMN trainer should at least be mid(Ivysaur's neutal B + squirtle shuffles? too good).

Of course, since the game has only been out for a month, nothing should be set in stone and the tiers should only represent the current metagame.

PS: If you're wondering, previous tournament results = three brawl tournaments with DSF, Gimpy, etc.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
CF and comboability don't belong in the same sentence when talking about Brawl.

Ike is high tier material for sure.

He has the tools needed to be high tier.

Peach...I'm not too sure about.

I think she will end up as mid though.

CF is low tier.

Mid tier at best.

I know nothing of DK so I won't comment on him.
Its nice that you have opinions, but would you care to elaborate a little further so they don't seem so baseless?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
CF can't really combo that well.

Honestly he still ahs his weaknesses from melee plus new ones.

The only thing that improved was his recovery.

The knee is much harder to hit with and you can't combo into it.

CF lacks the tools to do well in this game with this engine.

Brawl is all about high utility moves. Moves that are useful in different situations.

Moves for spacing, mobility, projectiles, kill moves, control moves, pressure moves, etc.

Basically you need moves that are fairly safe on block, come out relatively quick, reliable, and strong or good for racking up damage.

Well CF has a decent jab combo. Except when you go into the multijabs they can block and then grab you.

If you just do a gentleman they get no kncockback and then they can mess your face up.

Raptor boost is nigh useless. No comboability at all even at 0%. Terrible.

Falcon Kick is decent. Fast and does ok damage. But it's easy to see coming. Too bad.

His tilts would be ok. Except that they aren't that fast and tend to get beaten out alot.

So CF retains his terrible priority that he had in melee.

His smashes are still slow to start-up.

And he lost the IASA frames on his U-smash.

His grabs are actually pretty good.

D-throw and U-throw can lead to a free U-air at low damage.

But that's pretty much it.

Uair is nice. Probably his best move. Fast, pretty strong, decent priority. Very little land lag.

Nair is just...ugh. Can lead to a free Uair, but not good as an approach really. Range has been shortened and doesn't hit grounded opponents. It's a shame since it would have been great for shield pressure. Very little landing lag.

Bair is ok. Slightly worse from my own play experience. Slower to come out. Still pretty strong.

Dair is slightly worse from what I can see. Smaller hitbox and only meteors in the opening frames. then again maybe it's good that it knocks opponents to the side when it doesn't mereor since that is certaini death at higher percents while a meteor could be meteor cancelled.

But yeah, overall he didn't get anything to really help him out in the Brawl engine.

Unlike Marth who's moves were revamped alot and some of his old weaknesses were actually eliminated.

CF's weaknesses have only been compounded.

Me and my friend call him Captain Failure now.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Peach has auto float. Her only nerfs were the extension of her double jump and her down smash, but in return she got upgraded wall-bombing action. Still high-tier material.

Sonic is too fast to be any tier other than high. Seriously, it's incredibly hard to predict just when he arrives beside you, and even then, you have to be prepared for a grab, a dash attack, or an up-smash. He also has the built-in spin combos. I think he could be the best in the game.

Marth may have had a little range and a little power demoted from him, but he still has plenty of priority, and his Fair can kill people horizontally now. I agree with what someone said above; not just Marth got nerfed, so he can still be really high.

I didn't think it'd be true when I read it, but there is no such thing as a fast move from Ike. Every move can be interrupted before it strikes except for Aether, which is a dumb tactic to fly around with building up damage. Every Ike attack is like, ridiculously powerful, but it's retardedly hard to land but one or two.

Pit and Metaknight have very little kill moves. Sheik at least had one or two in Melee, but these guys are really hard to kill with. Metaknight especially.

It'll be awhile before people learn to make great use of Snake, so I don't predict high tier for him, just yet.

R.O.B. has some amazing air control, and his Bair and Dair are both awesome. His up-B is great, his neutral-B is great, his forward-B can combo, and his down-B is chargeable. Also has great throwing power, and isn't too slow on the ground. I think mid-high for this gem.

Zamus is simply high-tier. Quick and combos, with some lethal moves mixed in. How is she not high tier already?

Wario has an incredible Wall of Pain and his down B can be an absolutely lethal finisher with the only drawback being the wait. Sometimes his smashes can take a little while to cool off, though, and his bike can be used against him.

Olimar has power, range, and versatility. His only gimp is when you lack Pikmin or when you get edgehogged. Big things to come for him.

D3 is slow; his F-smash is one of the slowest in the game, even if it hits hard. His down-B is next to useless except if they're in pretty much the same range as Jigglypuff's Rest from Melee. Overall, his moves take almost too long to load up, but with the back-and-forth style of Brawl, trading hits doesn't seem like such a big issue. Waddle-Dees will definitely be there.

Lucario is pretty solid gold here. Awesome range, great aerial presence, good smashes, and his Aura ability gives him one hell of a punch. The way Lucario moves in the air with lots of damage will dictate the outcomes of many matches.

Diddy Kong is strong but does lack good kill moves. His forward-B is a huge mindgame tactic piece, and can be used for a short-hopped aerial. Very good things.

Pokemon Trainer has trouble switching Pokemon out at will unless A) they only play one Pokemon or B) the opponent is dying. I think Squirtle has great aerial presence but lacks a strong move with good range. His up-smash is great, though. Charizard can be a challenge to get hits off with, but unlike D3 or Ike, he has some fast moves. Rock Smash is really good, and so are 3 jumps. Ivysaur can really use that bulb on his back, but other than that, he's pretty weak. Bullet Seed is a great surprise.

As a whole, Pokemon Trainer won't be too high but don't expect nothing from him in the tournament scene.

That's all I could surmise for now.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I would say :

Top Tier :

Fox
Marth
Olimar
Toon Link
Ice Climbers (or High Tier)

High Tier :

Kirby
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Wolf
Wario
G&W
Mario
Lucas

Mid Tier :

Pikachu (or High)
Falco
Luigi
Metaknight
PT
Snake
Sonic
(all others)

Low :

DK
Link
Bowser

I.T.P

Smash Ace
now I'll divide the quoted post into parts and fix it, like it should've been written XD

ITP, I know you've had the game longer than me so you probably have a better understanding of how characters play, but there are a few things I disagree with.
I'll do my best to explain my reasoning, while listening to your arguments and deciding whether they are right are half right. If I've not noticed something that is big, I will fix it.

First off is CF and DK in low tier. I know Falcon's been nerfed quite a bit, but he still has alot of combo potential and Knee combo-ability. I understand he's not the man god he was in Melee but he can still be played similarly to a very high end.
the new captain falcon has sucky air mobility, the worst recovery in the game, along with gannon and Ivysaur, his B moves still suck, even more so than before, his combos are hard\very hard to pull off, very situational, and very hard to do, and I'm not sure if they are natural combos or just DI mistakes(yes, I'm reffering to the C.Falcon combo vid that's out there)

his knee suffered OMFG nerf, and now won't kill until very late, overall, counting his awfull edge guarding,recovery,reduced speed, and lack of options, CF is low tier IMO.

The same can be said for DK as he seems to be in low tier simply because people havn't been playing him
His Bair is still highly spammable, if not more so as there seems to actually be LESS lag on in now, and his Uair is still beastly. His ground game isn't too bad as he has decent land speed and reach and his Donkey Punch is still to be feared.
DK has a good Bair and a good Uair, and Cargo can gimp if done correctly, and the giant punch is ok. but that's where it ends, Awful recovery, 0 edge guard options, lack of variation(which is now a big deal, due to diminishing returns) and he's meh speed, with a gaping lack in approach options.

the things you mentioned make the diffrence between DK being an unplayable bottom tier, and being a difficult to play low tier.

Im also not too fond of Ike as high tier. While he may be absolutely beastly in strength, and his Bair is very fast, he's too overly reliant on it, and with the new reduced knock back system he needs more for his air game. There's also the issue of his speed which is absolutely atrocious, and while his Forward B is usable as a means to move around the stage, with the new easy power shielding it seems really easy to punish. Ike is definitely not unplayable(like he was in the E for All demo >_>) but he's definitely not high tier material. Mid tier tops.
you have obviously not played or seen enough Ikes. his Jab combo has priority over everything, and combos well out of aerials and racks lots of damage, his Ftilt is fairly quick and very lethal. almost all of his moves have KO potential and kill at really low percentage.

his Fair has tons of range and KOability, and his Utilt is quick and killer. mix all the above with an appoarchable Shield grab\Dashing shield grab game, and you've got yourself a high tier character.

did I mention he has 2 very usefull return options and that they are hard to stop when correctly used? and the super armor frames? the counter? need I say more?

There's also Peach, who, despite her Dsmash(or maybe, because of her Dsmash) can't possible be high tier anymore. She got hit hard with the nerf bat with the Dsmash but there's also her recovery, which has seen a drastic reduction due to her now minuscule second jump. While her horizontal recovery is still top tier, her vertical has become a huge issue. And her with her now unable to really fast fall from a parasol, she cant even mindgames->ledge anymore.
again, you've obviously not seen enough of the new peach, while the vegtables,Dsmash,Fthrow, and others have suffered serious nerfs, there are still many options for peach, while the main part that leaves you wanting more is her KOability.

Basically, her Bair and Nair retain their high priority, even though they lost range. her new Dair is monstrously defensive, Dodge game is still very good, new dash attack is great. new Jabs are almost the best jabs in the game, Dtilt is improved by a lot, new Utilt is great.
Dsmash and Usmash are still good, albeit far from being half as good as in SSBM.
Uair still rocks, Grab game is still good for damage racking, Fair is much quicker and very powerful, UP B goes further up, and makes up for the non-existant second jump height.

basically, peach is still good, she's just much less good than her melee self. but she certainly justifies being in the lower half of the High tier.

And while I'm at it(even though I hate to do this) I have to bring up Kirby. He's just not high tier matierial, despite his huge amount of buffs. His aerial hammer and his Fsmash are both powerful finishers, but they're still tremendously difficult to land correctly as Air Hammer is easy to predict and Fsmash is still just as laggy as in Melee. He may not actually need a drop in the tier list, I just think you should extend the tier list to include him(and Ike and Peach) so as to remove a bit of the load from high tier.
the last complaint, is one I can't answer well, since my opinion on kirby is not solidly formed, I have yet to see many kirby players or gameplay, but it seems that overall he is more of the lower high tier level, than the higher mid tier level. I may be wrong here. this is all opinion.

yes emblem lord, you're overating him, marth does not have the highest KO-ability in the game, that goes to things like Luigi's Fire punch, GaW's Judgement 9, and Ike\DDD's Fsmashes.
marth has good KO-ability, but against a skilled player playing a good character or one that outreaches marth, it is very hard to use all of his moves and he gets *****.
while I'm not saying he's not great, or not top tier material, he is definately not the best at anything, he's just the most all-around good character, except in the projectile area.

jngshin, Lucas lacks approaching variety, that's what makes the diffrence between him being top and high, he's just useless without a good approach, even with all of his great moves.

my opinions are based on a month and a half of playing the game, lots of fests, tournaments, and more in israel, and basically every good player in our community's experiecne as far as I've seen it.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
I would say :

Top Tier :

Fox
Marth
Olimar
Toon Link
Ice Climbers (or High Tier)

High Tier :

Kirby
Zelda
Diddy Kong
Wolf
Wario
G&W
Mario
Lucas

Mid Tier :

Pikachu (or High)
Falco
Luigi
Metaknight
PT
Snake
Sonic
(all others)

Low :

DK
Link
Bowser

Have you played the game?

Everyone should just not make their own tier lists. The game's been out for like 3 days for you guys... Sure discussion is good, but don't make any certain conclusions. Just making yourself look stupid.

Also, i'm seeing a lot of people naming lots of characters high tier. That doesn't make sense. Everyone is high and no one is mid? I know it's hard not to be unbiased toward characters you've practiced with more than others, but sheesh...

I.T.P

Smash Ace
blad, would you please elaborate on the following?

Fox top tier? Link low tier? Luigi mid tier? bah, I give up, that list is so baseless I can't even begin...

Sonic's speed is not reason enough for high tier, the game doesn't work that way any more, he lacks options, and his move executions are slow and predictable, and he overall lacks strong points. he's average like...

Kernel, you've got the right idea about peach,ROB,Wario,Zamus,Olimar and the speed trio(diddy,pit,MK). but you're plain wrong if you think not enough KO moves will stop them from being top, the recent tourneys have proven that.

and you're plain wrong about everyone else, start watching gameplay movies from good players...

Blad01

Smash Lord
Have you played the game?
Yes my friend, I've played the game for two weeks ;)

Of course I'm not sure for every character, but I know that :

- T.Link
- Zelda
- Marth
- Olimar
- Kirby
- Diddy K.
- Lucas
(-and Fox)

Have a lot of potential ;)

For the others, I did with that I noticed in hurry :p (By exemple I don't think Ganondorf is a low tier, but a mid, and I found Yoshi better than you say)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
how is it that the new fox is comparable to the rest of the characters in this small list of yours? except maybe kirby...

fox has been seriously nerfed, I don't even see him rising from mid to high...

krlos F.

Smash Journeyman
I think: (I have played Brawl for one month because I had SSBB JP since Feb 8)

(This tier list is what I THINK)

Top:
DeDeDe
Game&Watch
Mario
Wolf
Diddy
MetaKnight
C. Falcon
Fox
ROB

High:
Zelda/Sheik
Sonic
Kirby
Luigi
Ike
Link
T. Link
Falco
C. Olimar
P. Trainer
Snake
Lucas
Ness
Pit
Ice Climbers
Bowser
Samus/ZS

Mid:
Wario
DK
Ganondorf
Peach

For me, there is no low tier... all the characters have decent movesets... THIS IS WHAT I THINK... (Sorry if I missed a character =P)

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
These lists have way too many top tiers...

In my other post i mentioned the same thing, but apparently you guys aren't getting it.

IMO unless you can clearly back up why Snake and Metaknight SHOULDNT be top tier, then forget it...

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
I haven't played everyone a whole lot yet, but all I can say is Squirtle for god tier. Whoa man does he rule. It's a shame that Charizard is almost completely worthless, but I just lay the damage out with Squirtle, and then use Ivysaur to finish the job. (His up-smash is amazing.)

I've also enjoyed Kirby quite a bit and I think he'll probably be either high on the mid-tier list or maybe in the bottom of the high tier.

The top would have to include Ike, Luigi, Meta-Knight, and Falco for sure, since I've gotten my ***** whipped good and proper by these guys.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
These lists have way too many top tiers...

In my other post i mentioned the same thing, but apparently you guys aren't getting it.

IMO unless you can clearly back up why Snake and Metaknight SHOULDNT be top tier, then forget it...
MK should definately be top tier, and current tourney results allready put him way on his way for it. but as for snake? he has too many disadvantages,self damaging moves, long lag and startup times, and too many situational diffrences(he can be a god on battlefield, and an ant on FD) to be top, that's why I put him on high.

Repryx

Smash Champion
I still think that the saying "tires don exits" manifests here in Brawl

-Ciao

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Maybe we should wait and see what the guys in Europe have to say. I know what I have to say: TOP TIER IS DEDEDE! He has a move for almost EVERY situation, and his Ftilt's range is like a freakin' projectile.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
you have obviously not played or seen enough Ikes. his Jab combo has priority over everything, and combos well out of aerials and racks lots of damage, his Ftilt is fairly quick and very lethal. almost all of his moves have KO potential and kill at really low percentage.
You forgot his Quick Draw approaches(B>). It makes for excellent surprise attacks, and freakishly good recoveries.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
I... don't think that Dedede is top tier. He has way too much starting and ending lag on a majority of his moves, and he is slow as ****. I have a friend who plays Dedede, and it's incredibly easy to outmaneuver him, and send him flying with an Ike-Fsmash.

Yes, I have seen a lot of vids with decent Dedede players... but I still don't think of Dedede as anywhere near top tier. Maybe low mid tier, but not top...

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I... don't think that Dedede is top tier. He has way too much starting and ending lag on a majority of his moves, and he is slow as ****. I have a friend who plays Dedede, and it's incredibly easy to outmaneuver him, and send him flying with an Ike-Fsmash.

Yes, I have seen a lot of vids with decent Dedede players... but I still don't think of Dedede as anywhere near top tier. Maybe low mid tier, but not top...
DeDeDe has the 2nd most annoying grab game in the roster(2nd only to the ICs), he can shield grab everything, he can DSG for an approach, and his grabs can chain lots of characters, as well as his Bthrow doing 16%, a ridiculous amount of damage for a grab.

he can edge guard well with Fair and Bair, he can rack up damage with jab combos, he can spam Waddles and kill with gordos, he can Regicide(suicide with you by swallowing you in the air) and it's enough to recover if you missed, he has a monstrous Utilt, a really good for punishing Dash attack, a long range Ftilt, the strongest Fsmash in the game, a good recovery Up B, and four jumps.

oh, did I mention he's one of the heaviest characters in the game?

you've obviously not realized the full potential all this contributes to his game, he's a killing tank!

I.T.P

Smash Ace
You forgot to mention that his Fsmash takes about.. 5 years to land.

Everything else just takes about half of that.
his Fsmash is long, but if you play your cards right, you'll mind game someone into getting hit with it.

and he has lots of fast moves, Utilt,Jabs,Bair,Nair,Ftilt,Uair,Bair. you're just unfamiliar with them, that's all XD

and offcourse, his capitalistic grab range, which kills everything in its way, including luigi's green tornado, GaW's Dair,Fair and ?air approaches, and almost nothing stands in its way.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff seems pretty good in Brawl.
are you kidding me :|

mmk
well
i havent the patience to read every single post here,
but these are my opinions from playing Brawl for a small period of time at my friends' house.

ICS can no longer wavedash or desync quite as easily as before, but they've been given a small boost to compensate. They still have chaingrabs and good combo potential.

Olimar looks to be mid to high. This is because of his versatility, i think. He is unique, and he also has intense range. Most of his moves use disjointed hitboxes, and Olimar already has a technique known as WAC[ing?] His different pikmin types call for many different varieties of attack styles, and if he could choose which pikmin he could pluck [plucking pikmin in water, where only the blue ones will survive?] this could help Olimar greatly.

I have not played much of any other characters, though Pit, Meta Knight, Sonic, Toon Link, and Marth look to be mid-high tier.

Snake, Yoshi, Link, Ganonloaf, and Captian Falcon look to be lower.

I have absolutely no idea whats going to happen with the Space animals, though I can assume that Falco isn't in the best position right now.

Ikural

Smash Journeyman
People seem to keep saying 'Tires don exits'.

That is a completely irresponsible view. Tiers deffinantly exist, it's just one's choice as to whether or not you acknowledge them when choosing your main. Tiers will always exist, get used to that. Tiers do not say 'You can't play ___ and win', they simply imply that it will require more work, well, not neccesarily work, because Falco in Melee required a large amount of tech skill, but more mindgames, or effort, or maybe even skill, which it will.

I personally couldn't care less about the tier list when choosing my character, but I couldn't care more about it in general. It gives you ideas of what you will be facing by the dozens and what you are unlikely to face. Understanding and interpreting tier lists is important within this game.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
Marth isn't buffed. Please reconsider.

My thoughts, in order, I guess:

Metaknight - His approach is really good. His edgeguard game is good. His recovery is good (his up+b is probably the best in the game). His combos are good, way better than some other characters. All of his aerial game is good. I find it hard to get inside metaknight, especially since he just has such a big fluidity advantage over other characters.

Marth - Lol wtf fsmash out of shield? Really quite well rounded and it seems his metagame has room for improvement.

From there on, I think it's harder to judge, but I do see:

- Pit
-Mario
- Snake
- Pikachu
- Diddy
- Zelda

And there are a couple others who are good. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the above characters placing well in future tournaments.
i like this

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
Hmmm, though I can't say anything in regards to "tiers" what I can say is

Zelda is practically a new character, electricity/magic seems to suck people in more than it did in melee & Zelda is the one that gains the most from it.

Her heel is the new knee, It's kills Ike at 80%!

Pikachu has taken Peaches whorenado and made it his own, along with quicker thunder and the electricity trapping that I mentioned before hes seen a definite improvement.

Other than that I couldn't say.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
People seem to keep saying 'Tires don exits'.

That is a completely irresponsible view. Tiers deffinantly exist, it's just one's choice as to whether or not you acknowledge them when choosing your main. Tiers will always exist, get used to that. Tiers do not say 'You can't play ___ and win', they simply imply that it will require more work, well, not neccesarily work, because Falco in Melee required a large amount of tech skill, but more mindgames, or effort, or maybe even skill, which it will.

I personally couldn't care less about the tier list when choosing my character, but I couldn't care more about it in general. It gives you ideas of what you will be facing by the dozens and what you are unlikely to face. Understanding and interpreting tier lists is important within this game.
so many people have said this exact thing

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Weegee is a beast this time around, and I think he has more KOs in his arsenal this time around.

Kirby has been buffed into mid-tier. His running attack no longer sucks, and Kirbycides are still in (and easier with grabs).
Peach is even better.
I think Olimar is up there, he and Snake are very hard to fight.

Fox isn't as good but isn't that bad. Meta Knight is probably the new fox minus the KOs.

Did I mention Kirby got buffed?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Falco should be top tier.

All of his moves are solid and he can chain throw with his d-throw.

Edit: I thought this community had grown, but clearly alot of you don't know what makes someone top tier.

It's not speed, it's options/solid moves/reliable strats and techniques.

Character attributes are a bonus. Speed is always nice, but it's not a deal breaker.

Samething with killing power.

That said I do think Sonic has enough tools to just barely hit high tier. He's just a wierd character to play and one of the hradest if not THE hardest to use correctly.

And BTW Ike has the solid options he needs to be high tier.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I see a lot of people putting Mario high or even top tier. I'm not sure he's really going to get that far. His new Down-B is pretty stupid, he didn't gain a whole lot of KO power over Melee's version, and as far as I can see his priority didn't jump by any leaps and bounds. What is the reasoning? I like Mario and I think his balanced set will keep him in a solid mid position, but I don't see anything advantageous enough to put him anywhere near the top. Maybe there is something I don't know about him?

From what I can tell Luigi is far superior to Mario this time around. He still has crazy aerial priority, his recovery saw a massive boost, landing Up-B got a whole lot easier with PS and jab -> Up-B reliably and his fireballs have a very nice trajectory to mess with approach games. I think he's much more likely to wind up high tier than Mario.

I also think people are not giving Ganondorf/Falcon enough credit. There are still plenty of ways for Ganondorf to pull his aerials without any landing lag (hell you can SH his D-Air lagless still, and even double D-Air without landing lag). I think their big problem right now is their troubling approach game, but I really doubt it's going to be enough to keep them in low tier. Not compared to the likes of the new Jiggly or Yoshi.

Finally, I think we're going to see Lucario slip further down in the coming months. His damage ratio mechanic is neat but makes it hard to pull ahead from the outset of a match, and I think people will find it harder and harder for Lucario to get his kills with how much start-up time his smashes have (and his overall lack of aerial KO power outside his D-Air, which is very hard to save to avoid stale moves). His recovery also winds up very predictable as he has no safe way to recover above ledge height (landing lag from Extreme Speed is ridiculous).

Lord Asura

Smash Rookie
I'd have to say that Ganondorf and Falcon are both fairly low on the tier list, though I'm not sure if it is a low or a mid tier placement. I have a suspicion that Falcon is placed in Low Tier, with Ganon maybe narrowly sneaking into the mid tier due to some combo ability. The main problem is their lack of good approaching moves, coupled with borderline useless Bs.

I'd place Lucario as mid tier at best, primarily due to the fact that the damage mechanic doesn't really kick in to be helpful until quite a few characters can easily KO you. This is rather problematic for him.

ChewyChase

Smash Cadet
I kind of am thinking along the lines that this game wasn't meant to be competitive. The development team and Sakurai make that all too clear on the Dojo. I went through all the characters a bit more closely with my friend we did a LOT of matchups. This was on the American disc, by the way, I don't know if that changes anything though.

Ike... has potential to be good but is going to take patience.

DeDeDe isn't as high as I thought.

Sonic is not top tier. Sonic is Mid-High Tier.

Snake is also difficult and Mid Tier.

Lucario seems good at first, but is very punishable if you can get past him. The damage modification almost makes some moves spammable because the 'aura' effect can cancel the decrease out and make the move usable for longer. (dair anyone?) I'm definitely going to look more into Lucario and his placement in the Tiers, probably visit the thread for him now.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Tiers come from tournament results, and the past 2 tournaments at Georgia Tech were won by a Peach/Olimar player and a Meta Knight player.

Chrono Centaur

Smash Apprentice
Meta Knight is ridiculous. :< I mean, really. Spamming A is almost as good as a shield against approach games, and his moves have ridiculous priority. His aerials are just nuts, and he has good gimping power. The only thing he doesn't have is K.O. power, but as long as he keeps on the offensive, he's insane.

Pokemon Trainer is top tier, because of his immense balance. I really don't think the best PKMN Trainer player could be beat by any character. He's lacking a true ranged spammer (Ivysaur's Razor Leaf is only OK), though, and the recovery game of his Pokemon isn't as good as that of Dedede or Kirby or Pit or MK. I have the game, and this is just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom