• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKingofDes

Smash Apprentice
You know what i have to thank you king of Des your the first person ive seen who has put yoshi somewhere other than low or bottom tier thank you very much. I mean im not sayin hes top tier material but i think he better than bottom and hes to good for low so ill agree he should get middle.

The only reason people Bag on Yoshi is because he is unpopular , i can defeat people that use Pit Marth and even The Star Fox Clones with him , he definatley deserves Middle

I feel your pain somewhat , alot of people think game & watch is low or bottom because he is unpopular and i absolutley HATE Marth , so should i bottom tier him?

talkingbeatles

Smash Ace
I don't understand when people say you don't need skill to play with Pit.
I **** pit players regularly. Sure, I could be playing up against someone really crappy, but apparently it doesn't matter, as long as they're playing Pit.
That's a stupid *** statement. I'm not that good.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
Top Tier:
Lucas

Mid Tier:
Everyone but Lucas and Ness

Bottom Tier:
Ness
Oh no...Oh HELLLLL No! disregarding the fact that the average Ness player is better than the avergae Lucas, i'll just stick to the facts. Ness' aerials...better(faster, stronger, greater range). His PK Fire, so much more useful...you think that Lucas' does damage, try one of em compared to the 18% from Ness+ any free attack he wants to throw into it(combos, throws, baseballbat). His dash attack has better range and power compared to Lucas'. His grab, though shorter, has no punishment after a miss; and the resulting throws are far superior. PKT, it's no contest...Lucas' has no usable tail and it is slower than mollasses. His ground game is so much faster than Lucas', whos attacks are all easy to avoid if you are paying attention. So in summary, Ness is faster, has better range, and more useful attacks. Lucas is slow and easy to avoid with minimal range attacks and unfortuante overall gimpability(his PKT may go through things, but given how slow it moves it can be eaten a lot easier). Lucas will never beat Ness...

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
yes he was never said alot but that stupid twirl he does now sucks compared to the kick and his left A smash isnt as good as the old one either and link well he just seems slower but then again i guess everyone else could be faster
Stupid twirl?
Christ you're definitely n00bish if you can't remember the name of his special attack.

His Bair cannot combo but has greater knock back making it decent for edge guarding.
His left A smash? What his regular Side smash? Same as it was last game.
Everything else was improved.
His bombs=killing power at sudden death something his old bombs could not do.
gale boomerang=Ledge guard of awesome
Arrows=Faster
Spin attack=only nerfed special but the lag is lesser compared to melee's version.
His hookshot isn't as long as it was in melee and cannot grab onto walls anymore.
his attacks come out more quickly and have a better impact and his Dair pierces when FF'ed which can be useful at times.

Link isn't nerfed, over all he saw an improvement, but what happened is because of the reduced speed and hitstun in this game, it is harder for Link to chain his attacks. His character itself isn't nerfed but the change of the game has caused issues.

It is why WW Link does better because he can combo and is faster than Link.

So I decided to do another in depth character analysis this time on snake. First of all before I go into detail of why I think he should be top tier, it is important to note that I am basing my tier lists off of characters potential as well as their current game play. Anyway the following is a list of reasons why I think snake should be top tier.
DEAD MAN WALKING!
Just kiddig let's analyze your argument.
- Absolute number one reason is his neutral A combo and his Ftilt combo. These two moves are generally non-shield grabbable and knock back opponents as hard as many smash moves. They also come out very quickly.
Non shield grabbable? What? I've grabbed a snake out of it each time. It has good knock back but decent DI'ing prevents them being actual KO's until over 150%. That's for average weight characters.
- His back aerial has ridiculous range and hits hard. With the ability to turn around and jump while keeping your forward momentum makes this move really good.
youn also forgot the part where it cannot be buffered meaning if you SH or FF it and you land before the move is finished you are going to get punished hard.
RAR goes for all characters making this point null since other characters have better Bair's that are faster with less lag at the end.
- His Uair is very powerful and high priority; however, I find it hard to pull off Uair on anyone seeing how easy air dodge is in this one. Also, If an opponent is high up above you they are not going to try and come down with a Dair seeing as how easily this is shielded then immediately punished afterwards
Yes its strong but again like many of his aerials it is quite slow and as you mentioned it lags setting you up for punishment. His aerial game while powerful doesn't do as much as Ike's whose aerial game sn't punished as easily as snake's since it has reach and a larger hitbox.
- Short hop Dair is amazing. It cannot be shield grabbed and the last hit is a killing move. If all four hits get off (unlikely as it may be) it is an over 30% damage combo.
The problem with this is that each time i short hop it for some odd reason the last hit which is the killer does not come out since he lands on the ground before hand. Its a good dair but is limited due to its range and the fact that while it can ack up damage, you can DI out of it and avoid the killing blow and then punish snake.
- His Usmash is good in combination with a dash. To my knowledge this move is also non-shield-grabbable unless power shielded. It is also good at ledge guarding (it's complicated how it can be used to ledge guard I'd have to show you a video, but believe me it's good).
Its a poor use for edge guarding IMO. invincibility frames while grabbing the edge prevent the explosion from being any good and an opponent can easily hop up and Nair you away. You're better off protecting using your Fair or planting your C4 down since thats controllable. Or your Dsmash.
That and his Usmash paired with dash canceling I can't find it as useful though if you manage to pull it off more power to you.
- His running move is fairly good too simply because it often ends you up on the other side of your opponent
So does many of the other characters.
- His arsenal of weopanry (grenades, mines, and homing missile) are amazing camping tools against characters like marth or MK.
Whoa I stopped here.
Marth can slice all your slow weapons out of mid air and your C4 is useless when it isn't on the opponent or not being used for edge guarding. Those two characters have some of the best approach games out there and MK can easily take advantage of you .

Grenades can be caught so you have to cook them which may mean your opponent can approach. Nikita missile is good but leaves you vulnerable and it doens't home in on anything. C4 is my fav but anyone competent won't let themselves get killed by one on the ground. You'd have to lant it on them or place it on the ledge so you can prevent their recovery and possibly kill them.
However, they become less useful against people like falco and wolf. The lazers make the homing missile pretty much impossible, they blow up proximity mines, and they stop the trajectory of the grenades. It is good to note though, that the potential of this weaponry is still unknown. I can imagine some really sick combos coming out of grenades and mines.
impossible if they are at a higher percentage. A tlow percentages yeah it could work well but you also face the strength of DIing as well as the fact that while his B moves are powerful they are also predictable due to how obviously they come out.
nothing like Wolf/Fox/Falco whose projectiles are much faster and can't be interrupted i midair.
- From watching many videos and playing myself, I have to say, I actually think the main reason for snake being good is his barrage of moves that stop shield campers. The few characters who don't shield camp (i.e. marth and MK) his ranged attacks seem sufficient to get him by.
I don't believe him top tier capable. He is a good character but Marth can easily get by his projectile game since its nowhere near as good as say Dedede and Link's because they come out slowly and can't be followed up as quickly as other characters.
his tilts are obviously his best and I am surprised you did not mention his ^B.
I believe him to be high tier because while he is a good character and can deal with people below him, he has a tougher time with characters that are better than him speed and aerial wise.
Not top tier material IMO but he is high tier.

Sparky3811

Smash Rookie
● Top tier characters are just, well, top.
● High tier characters are just very solid characters with apparent strengths that put them above the others.
● Mid tier characters can compete with high tier ones very well, despite being edged out slightly.
● Low tier characters have some sort of glaring weakness which puts them at a noticeable disadvantage, though are not by any means impossible to win with.

In specific order:

Top Tier
Pit
Metaknight
Marth
Toon Link

High Tier
Snake
Wolf
Diddy Kong
King Dedede
R.O.B.
Wario
Falco
Fox
Lucas
Zero Suit Samus
Peach
Luigi

Mid Tier
Mr. Game & Watch
Pikachu
Lucario
Olimar
Ike
Kirby
Pokémon Trainer
Ness
Samus
Mario
Sonic
Sheik
Zelda
Ice Climbers

Low Tier
Jigglypuff
Link
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Yoshi

Disclaimer: I didnt type this, I got this tier list from gamerreplay.com and it was typed by Sparky
Yes, it is :) Thanks for mentioning.

This is one of the best lists posted so far, if you can ignore the fact that Olimar is not placed in top/high tier. Might want to consider ICs and G&W up and Wario and Peach down as well, but it's nice to see a newcomer who knows his stuff for a change.
Thanks, I used some of this advice, it seems right.

Fletch

Smash Master
Olimar is just too good right now, his playstyle really caters well to Brawl's campy nature and all his moves are solid... Only problem is his recovery, but with the floatiness, it isn't that big of an issue. Peach is just meh right now without her d-smash and float cancel, as those were her two biggest assets in Melee. G&W got buffed quite a bit, the last Midwest tournament had G&W's finish in first and second. I think it's too early to tell with ICs, they seem to take a while to figure out unfortunately... and finally, I haven't seen much out of Wario that would put him up that high, but maybe I'm wrong in that regard, but he just doesn't seem to be that much better or worse than anyone else.

Sparky3811

Smash Rookie
Olimar is just too good right now, his playstyle really caters well to Brawl's campy nature and all his moves are solid... Only problem is his recovery, but with the floatiness, it isn't that big of an issue. Peach is just meh right now without her d-smash and float cancel, as those were her two biggest assets in Melee. G&W got buffed quite a bit, the last Midwest tournament had G&W's finish in first and second. I think it's too early to tell with ICs, they seem to take a while to figure out unfortunately... and finally, I haven't seen much out of Wario that would put him up that high, but maybe I'm wrong in that regard, but he just doesn't seem to be that much better or worse than anyone else.
Yes, mostly good points, thanks, I edited them in.

Check Futile's Wario on youtube, he's quite something. His air maneuverability makes him better than most characters, and he's actually pretty good at almost everything else too.

Olimar is a mixed bag. Like said above, his recovery makes him die sooner than the average character in Brawl, which might be his only problem but you can't go around it. He might be amazing, but will never make it to top tier because of this.

GPLegend777

Smash Rookie
It may be too soon to come out with a tier list but...
This is my opinion of how some characters will place (no order) :
Top characters:
Marth: Not as fast, but has better Knockback, U-Smash has better range, good killer and he still has mad combo and edgeguarding skills and a 1 hit KO FS to boot.
Toon Link: Whups Link in almost every category except size and has a sick spike. B-air is great.
Sonic: Really fast, Great char. not much left 2 say.

Mid Characters:
Olimar: Master camper. Too dependant on Pikmin to be high tier.
G&W: Didn't expect this. Great combo ablilty and a lot of better changes from Melee. Great Kill potential.
Meta Knight: Has good combo ability but lacks killing moves. FS kinda sucks.
Ike: Powerful but waaaaaaay too slow.

Low Characters:
Ganondorf: See Ike. Big. Easy target.
Ice Climbers: Weak when separated. Only thing that shines is their recovery, but oops...there goes nana. FS is easily dodgeable.

I know I didn't put everybody.
Peach, Shiek, Falco and Fox got nerfed, the princesses the most.
Sonic is, by no means top tier. Just because he is the fastest in the game, means nothing.

Bladehero

Smash Rookie
Camping and priority are key strengths in brawl. So here is mine:
Toon Link
Snake
Wolf

High
Marth
Olimar
Pit
Metaknight
Diddy Kong

Mid
Everyone else

Bottom
Yoshi
Caption Falcon
Ganadorf
Donkey Kong

Fletch

Smash Master
Yes, mostly good points, thanks, I edited them in.

Check Futile's Wario on youtube, he's quite something. His air maneuverability makes him better than most characters, and he's actually pretty good at almost everything else too.

Olimar is a mixed bag. Like said above, his recovery makes him die sooner than the average character in Brawl, which might be his only problem but you can't go around it. He might be amazing, but will never make it to top tier because of this.
I still think he can be top tier; I mean, look at Falco in Brawl... One of the worst recoveries in the game, but as long as he plays that fantastically on the stage, it doesn't matter. Not saying this is necessarily the case for Olimar, but I've seen a lot of good ones so far and he's not horribly difficult to play effectively.

As for Wario, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check him out. I may be biased against him simply because he seems so awkward for me to play.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
i completly agree you realy need to get your hands dirty with sonic to be able to efficiently use him

and i think that we should all wait for an official tier before we start *****!ng about anything

im guessing most of these tiers creators put their best characters at the top
yeah i agree too. Sonic probably has HUGE potential. He is extremely fast, and his specials are actually usable. In fact, if you go over to the sonic forum, you will see that several dedicated people are developing advanced techniques. I'm sure the SBR is also finding his potential.

WaffleJesse

Smash Cadet
One thing holds Sonic back, his knockback, but I have edge guarded with him and he's excellent at that. Sonic is someone who can put up good combo's but is in need of good knockback.

chaos1303

Smash Rookie
My Tier List

Best 10 Characters (in my opinion and in no particular order)

• King Dedede
  • Sonic
  • Pit
  • Ike
  • Lucas
  • Wolf
  • Toon Link
  • Fox
  • Meta Knight
  • Kirby

Obviously people will disagree because everyone has a different opinion but i am sure some of the characters here would appear on your list too!!

TheTruth07

Smash Rookie
Falco and Ike ? I don't think so, even if im a Falco's mainer...
And so am I, and Falco is probably the best character in the game. Chaingrab into Dair is amazing. SHDLasers and reflector for spam game. Dash attack- upsmash canceling. He's 2good.

Tails the Fox

Smash Ace
Top:
Toon Link
Marth

High:
Wolf
Falco
Diddy Kong
Meta Knight
Snake

Upper:
Pit
Olimar & Pikmin
King Dedede
Ike
Mr. Game and Watch
R.O.B.
Luigi

Middle:
Pikachu
Lucas
Zelda
Kirby
Shiek
Mario
Peach
Ice Climbers
Wario
Ness
Link

Lower:
Yoshi
Samus
Sonic
Zero Suit Samus

Bottom:
Captain Falcon
Donkey Kong
Ganondorf

Definately still working on it.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
i think olimar in reality is probably smack dab in the middle tier. But people's abuse of his camping game will make the metagame reflect his good sides and place him higher...

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
I don't really think we can set a tier list so soon, but from my personal experience, I think Diddy Kong is definitely high-to-top tier. Wolf isn't that bad either.

My opinion on the tiers is this. They are in no particular order, but I believe their sections are correct so far from my own personal experience playing with them and against them. Things will definitely change I'm sure:

Diddy Kong
Wolf
Falco
Lucas
Olimar
Squirtle
Sheik

High
King Dedede
Ice Climbers
Lucario
Marth
Ivysaur
Pit
R.O.B.
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Toon link

Middle
Mario
Snake
Peach
Fox
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Link
Zelda
Meta Knight

Low
Luigi
Ike
Captain Falcon
Ness
Charizard
Sonic
Donkey Kong
Ganondorf

Bottom
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Wario
Samus
Yoshi

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
wow... you seriously put kirby at the bottom?

This is what it should look more like (in my opinion):

Top:
Wolf
Falco
Ike
Toon Link

High:
Olimar
Diddy
Sheik
Squirtle
Pit
Pikachu
Zamus
Dedede

Middle:
Lucario
Ivysaur
Peach
Fox
Zelda
Jigglypuff
R.O.B.
Bowser
Ice Climbers
Marth
Kirby
Meta Knight
Link
Snake

Low:
Ness
Luigi
Cpt. Falcon
Charizard
Sonic
Ganon
G&W
DK

Bottom:
Samus
Yoshi
Wario

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi is NOT bottom tier I repeat Yoshi is NOT bottom tier.

His unpopular bias is seriously why everyone puts him in bottom tier. Everyone who is making their tier lists put him in bottom because

A. They played one match with him and lost and so he automatically sucks
B. They havent played as him at all and carry their melee opinion of him over into this game because they dont give him a chance.

I was a yoshi user in Melee and I agree in Melee he was CRAP he stunk.

different game this time around I believe yoshi will end up on low-mid

Im sorry he doesnt have a sword and name isnt Marth, Ike, or Metaknight or claws and howls like Wolf. I understand his lack of being "badass" diminishes people chances at giving him a shot.

and IM sorry he doesnt throw Pikmin all around the screen and comes off as a "fun" character to be.

Myth: Yoshi doesnt have any good moves
Fact: Bair, short hop Nair, Uair, Egg Toss, Side smash, Down Smash, Up Smash, Side Tilt, running A, AAA combo for starters.

Myth: Yoshis recovery sucks he doesnt even have a good 3rd jump
Fact: Give Link, Ike, and Ganondorf a call they will tell you what a bad recovery is.

Myth: Yoshi is a bad character because I say he is because I don't like him
Fact: LOL sweet well if you never give him a chance then i guess he will suck if you use him

I hate Pit so does that automatically make him bottom tier?

Not saying he is High, Upper, or Top. But he is nowhere near the worst character in the game or Bottom Tier.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
i actually have seen yoshi played well, he is just an overall not that great of a character. I knew a girl who used to be able to pwn me in smash64 with her yoshi. So im not saying he has always been very bad, he jsut isnt AS great as other characters.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
I don't really think we can set a tier list so soon, but from my personal experience, I think Diddy Kong is definitely high-to-top tier. Wolf isn't that bad either.

My opinion on the tiers is this. They are in no particular order, but I believe their sections are correct so far from my own personal experience playing with them and against them. Things will definitely change I'm sure:

Diddy Kong
Wolf
Falco
Lucas
Olimar
Squirtle
Sheik

High
King Dedede
Ice Climbers
Lucario
Marth
Ivysaur
Pit
R.O.B.
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Toon link

Middle
Mario
Snake
Peach
Fox
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Link
Zelda
Meta Knight

Low
Luigi
Ike
Captain Falcon
Ness
Charizard
Sonic
Donkey Kong
Ganondorf

Bottom
Kirby
Mr. Game and Watch
Wario
Samus
Yoshi
Tier list = epic fail, G&W belongs at high or top.

Edge13

Smash Rookie
Sparky, have you actually played Snake? That's not rhetorical, I'm literally wondering if you've ever played him before. It sounds like you let your little sister play him for a few rounds then made your post.

Non shield grabbable? What? I've grabbed a snake out of it each time. It has good knock back but decent DI'ing prevents them being actual KO's until over 150%. That's for average weight characters.
No, you don't shield grab his neutral A. If you shield the entire combo, you get pushed back too far unless you have a ranged grab. If you try to grab before the last hit, you get hit before the grab comes out. The only exception to this is power shield.

You've missed the point he's trying to make here. No one is claiming that the neutral A combo kills more easily than most finishing moves. The point is that you get a smash-quality finishing move that comes out as quickly as your neutral jab since you're locked once the combo starts.

youn also forgot the part where it cannot be buffered meaning if you SH or FF it and you land before the move is finished you are going to get punished hard.
RAR goes for all characters making this point null since other characters have better Bair's that are faster with less lag at the end.
Yes SH Bair would be horrible, but then again, no one mentioned that. The move is amazing because of the massive hitbox and priority. Snake's head is actually part of the hitbox; it's deceptively large.

The problem with this is that each time i short hop it for some odd reason the last hit which is the killer does not come out since he lands on the ground before hand. Its a good dair but is limited due to its range and the fact that while it can ack up damage, you can DI out of it and avoid the killing blow and then punish snake.
It's not a bad move simply because you fail at using it. You can indeed short hop and still land the last kick. I've seen it done time and time again.

And please, show us how you're DI'ing between hits to avoid the last kick.

Its a poor use for edge guarding IMO. invincibility frames while grabbing the edge prevent the explosion from being any good and an opponent can easily hop up and Nair you away. You're better off protecting using your Fair or planting your C4 down since thats controllable. Or your Dsmash.
That and his Usmash paired with dash canceling I can't find it as useful though if you manage to pull it off more power to you.
It's an outstanding ledge guarding ability. Invulnerability frames are irrelevant if you use it properly. Hop up and neutral air? Are you serious? That's asking to get hit with the explosion while Snake shields.

If you can't see how dash into up-smash is good then you really shouldn't be replying to his post. Like he said, there's no shield grabbing this move.

So does many of the other characters.
Poor grammar aside, I'm not sure what your point is here. Snake has a fantastic running move. Yes, there are other characters with fantastic running moves as well. That doesn't change the fact that Snake's is excellent.

Snake may not be top tier but good lord, next time play a character before you make a response like that.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Sonic is not overrated, but hes probably middle tier, because you people use GC controllers instead of Wiimote + nunchuck

KingDiDiDiddy

Smash Apprentice
i actually have seen yoshi played well, he is just an overall not that great of a character. I knew a girl who used to be able to pwn me in smash64 with her yoshi. So im not saying he has always been very bad, he jsut isnt AS great as other characters.
Why? i dont mean to get grumpy/mean but i need reasons. All anyone ever says about Yoshi is that he is just a bad character... but why? no one lists reasons

and Yoshi is hell of a lot better than any of your Bottom and Low Tier characters you posted (except luigi) and he is loads better than link.

-Kagato-

The Final Boss
NNID
Kagato_Jurai
3DS FC
0173-1827-3106
Tier list = epic fail, G&W belongs at high or top.
Didn't you read what I said or did you just look at the list?

My list is an OPINIONATED list based off MY experience with the characters. I have yet to see anyone show me in a match why Game and Watch is high tier or not. Same goes with anyone in the Low or Bottom areas.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
The tier list goes like this:

Top:
G&W
Metaknight
Wolf
TL

High:
Marth
Fox
Falco

Middle:
Everyone Else

Low:
Yoshi
Ness
D3
Mario
Peach
Shiek
Link

Bottom:
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon (The Knee is harder to use)
Ganon
Bowser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom