• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
My apologies, but what is a disjoint. I have heard nothing of it until this page of this thread and now it seems to be everywhere. I would be very grateful if someone could explain.
A disjoint is something that is not part of the character's body. Such as Marth's sword, or Pikachu's lightning. Disjoints over ride non-disjoints and have more priority. It's as simple as that.

I'm going to attempt to do this in the least bias way possible... Priority Characters will get the top and high tiers right away, along with campers. I do not place these in order, I place these characters in the branch I believe they belong in. (In otherwards, one character on the bottom of the top tier list may be better than one in the middle, vice versa. It's too early to specifically make statements about who's better in which tier)

Remember, this is opinionated... argue with me if you please I'm sure I'm wrong :laugh:

UPDATE: Moved Samus up 4 spots
UPDATE: Moved Link up 2 spots

Top Tier
Wolf- Wolf has a decent range attack that does not only disrupt the opponent, but also deals 5%-7% Damage. He has long range on most of his attacks and his recovery attacks are not so easy to edge Guard. He's earned the right to be in top tier imo.
King Dedede- One thing that puts Dedede over the edge is his Chain-grab. It's such a simple concept, and it's just sickening when it happens to you. King Dedede may be slow, but they've also given him camping capabilities. He's just too much of a force to be reckoned with sometimes. Powerful (But slow...) attacks, a disjoint, camping capabilities, and chain grabbing... what more could you want in a character :ohwell: .
Toon Link- The best thing about TL is his insane range abilities, three different range attacks, all have good power. You can basically build a wall with his arrows if you were skilled enough. To top the icing on the cake, he has a powerful disjoint. His sword may look small and petty, but the hitbox on it is huge.
Falco- Once again I believe this bad bird deserves a spot on the top tier list purely because of his camping abilities. He's a major pain in the *** with short hoping. Plus he has advantages to certain characters like Shiek, and Captain Falcon, what with that infinite laser combo (Not that this is easy to pull off by any means...:ohwell: ) Although Falco may be put down a notch to the high tier list because of his ground attacks. They got nerfed just a bit in this game imo.
Marth- Marth is a fast, powerful (Tip of the ****, although harder to pull off), disjointed character. His sword overrides nearly all non-disjoint attacks. The range with his attacks is insane. He stays where he was last game, in the top/high tier list for me. He's a very difficult character to deal with if you're a character with neither a disjoint or a range attack.
Metaknight- Ho boy... Meta knight, imo, the most frustrating opponent to face. Such a character is only suited for fanatical berserkers. You barely have to try to hit someone and you do. The fact is, he has a disjoint, and if it was otherwise, he'd be lower in the tiers. It's just not easy to compete with a freaky swordsman that can send out attacks like a teenage boy does masturbating.
Pit- Another Character that can be deemed a "DPS" freak character. It doesn't take much for Pit to rack up damage on you. Most of his attacks can kill you past 100% which is bad, you'll get there fast if you're not careful. Not only does he have a sword (Disjoint), but he has ranged attacks, and they're useful too. You're able to change the direction of them from the start or half way through. Pit deserves a spot in the top or high tier list.

High Tier
Fox-Now most of you might knock me on the back of the head for putting Fox on the high tier list instead of top, but really, he's not as threatening as he was in Melee. His attacks have been dumbed down, they have some lag on them now, and shield shining is gone. His range is still there, annoying as ever, nonetheless, a terrible opponent to have to face.
Diddy Kong- Diddy Kong has some of the best Non-Disjoint game in Brawl. His aerials are pretty insane, along with his range attacks (**** you peeled bananas, why must I slip on you so much!) You can pretty much build a little fortress with two peeled bananas, then fire some peanuts at your **** opponent. Well... not really, but it's a nice gesture :laugh: you would never have the time to do that in a competitive match.
Zelda- Wow, did she improve from melee or what!? Her over B attack is just insane now, it has the hit box of a ****ing monster! Plus her aerial game is just over the top, powerful, and a hit box wonder. Her death kicks scare me sometimes :urg: . Although maybe I'm just overly excited about how she improved so much, maybe she's middle?
Rob- Despite me hating this guy, he's got potential to be a high tier character. He's got range, he's got decent hit boxes, and aerials. What more could you ask for (a disjoint I know :laugh: ) He's got some potential with combo'ing off of some of his attacks, particularly his uptilt (I think I'm right about the up tilt, or is it his up aerial?)
Gay and Watch erm... I mean Game and Watch- Despite me also hating this guy, he's got such freaking priority it pisses me off. All his bull**** with, oh, my key overrides your powerful rock hard head bowser, is just terrible. He's a character with a craptastic range attack, with priority. He's in high/top tier.
Ice Climbers-"The IC's excel in most areas of the game including camping, approaching, edge guarding, etc. Their attacks have lots of range, speed, priority, damage, and knockback. They still get to keep what made them so good in Melee like chaingrabs, and desynching, which is only made better by the slower pace of the game. Plus they recieved serveral buffs in areas that held them back in Melee such as recovery(both IC's can grab the ledge at once, you can get much more height off of SideB, and UpB now sweetspots ledges) and Nana's AI(she'll actually use UpB and SideB on her own to recovery). The only exploitable weakness the IC's have is that Popo is much less effective without Nana, but gimping Nana is much harder in the game because everyone lives at higher percents, plus as I said before their recovery and Nana's AI is better. Most importantly of all their match-ups are great. Most of them are either fair or good, with only like one or two bad ones that are a 4/6 at most." Quote from: Corner-Trap
Snake- Very unsure about this guy right now, he's got some incredible potential in my eyes though. Range attacks galore is all I can say. Ground tilts/smashes seem ok, and he's got some insane aerials. He's in the high/top tier list.
ZZS- Whatta *****! Her paralysis attacks are terrible if you get caught in them, and she has more than one. Not only that, she's a freaking monster when it comes to speed, that and Aerials...
Lucas- Ugh, I hate to say this, but the pansy has quite a bit of potential. His PK thunder, frost, and fire all pay quite a toll on the defensive types, and his aerials **** the offensive types. The ****er has over all a good arsenal of regular tilts and smashes.
Ike- Ike, the huge *** 2 handed sword guy that uses one hand to use a 2 handed sword :laugh: . But seriously, he's one of the easiest characters to pick up. He does massive damage in one swing, and he's got the most powerful (Ganon's elbow may compete) over smash in the game. His aerial game is decent, and of course, the disjoint puts him over the top against non disjoints.

Middle Tier

Pokemon Trainer- Pokemon Trainer has the most potential next to Olimar. Three different pokemon ready to bend at the will of the trainer. I place him near high tier because he can counter characters. Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur all have their pro's and con's. Squirtle having insane aerials, Charizard having great ground work, and Ivysaur having some range. They compliment each other very well.
Pikachu- Ah, good ol' Pikachu, you never do change much do you? I may underestimate you though. Your electrical disjoints do have a bit more priority than the pitiful non-disjointed characters, and you have one of the most annoying range attacks in the game. Perhaps you deserve high tier?
Luigi- Luigi has stayed pretty much the same this round, despite his feeling of inferiority :ohwell: His Karate chop has always been my favorite aerial, and he has some other decent ones. Don't forget his crappy range attack that disappears almost instantly! His ground game isn't as good as it used to be imo, everything seems a tid bit weaker with him. I could be wrong though.
Wario- As a Wario player myself, I can say he is definitely one of the best non-disjoint characters in his game (besides his bike). He's got some above average aerials, and some below average smashes. Above all he has one of the top recoveries in the game (allowing some very good edge guarding strategies)
Mario- Again... Mario comes in as an average character, always with his average range fireball attacks, and his average aerials, and his average tilts/smashes. Average average average.
Ness- Ness has improved since last game, he's more maneuverable than in melee, and he still has the aerials that he had in melee. Not to mention his ****in' baseball bat. He's still retained his range attacks, which pits him almost between high and middle.
Lucario - What a complicated character, at one end of the scale he's complete crap from the start, and at the other end of the scale he's a powerhouse with a risk. He has a powerful range attack that doesnt... have that much range, and some decent aerials. The more he get's hurt the stronger he becomes. Some may say he's on the lower end of the spectrum while others say he's at the higher end. I'm not that knowledgeable of this character.
Olimar- Take it from me, who's fighting someone who's maining and training as olimar 24/7. He's not as great as some would like to think. He becomes very vulnerable when airbourne. That means when he's facing disjointed aerial freaks, he gets ****ed. He's recovery is pitiful. All you have to do is hop on the edge, and press down and jump repeatedly till he gets near the edge and he plunges to his death by fault of his stupid UP-B recovery. Now despite that, he has insane camping capabilities, and insane range with his grab (**** YOU BLUE PIKMIN, WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED ME!). He's a damage racker while a powerhouse at the same time, the only problem is organizing your pikmin. They're random so you could end up with 4 blue pikmin and 2 red, then what do you do? Spend your time throwing them off the edge while your opponent ***** you in the butt? I think not, maybe in time Olimar will move up or down the chain, but right now I think it's best to assume he belongs in the middle. His bad qualities equal out with his good.
Samus- I'm boldly disappointed in this character now, she's heavy as hell and her recovery sucks a ****. Her range attacks are weaker, and all her regular ground moves are worse! Wtf were they thinking when they made this character. If I didn't let my biasm kick in, I'd put her in low tier. Although one thing that she still has is priority with her screw attack, and an insane Nair (Nearly a disjoint). Her projectiles still keep her alive this game, not to mention her Zair knocks her up a bit in the middle tier list.
Sheik- Oh Sheik, poor poor Sheik, you've gone down the hole haven't you? But not to worry, you're just an average player now! Now, people won't despise you as much! I've got nothing to say other than her prowess in aerials has gone to **** alone with her ground game.
Peach- Now maybe Peach does belong to the high tier list, maybe she doesn't. But I know that when I fought the only peach player I knew, it wasn't overwhelming like she used to be. Her game seems to be the same, but really once you touch her, it's like everything changed slightly. None of her moves connect like they did before and they're slightly weaker (% wise and power wise).
Link- He got a punch in the face with his gale boomerang this round... It's so pitiful compared to his past boomerangs, hell, TL got a better boomerang than him :ohwell: It's one thing that really helped him melee, and it's gone. His UP B is no longer an edgeguarding tech and all his attacks are fairly weak. For a disjoint character, he is the worst. All he has working for him is his bombs and arrows... Some say that his gale boomerang is working for the better though. For edgeguarding and comboing.
Bowser- Ho-bo a debated character. Slow, but powerful, it's too hard to hit with him period. If it was any easier I'd place him higher. Counter characters such as Ike, and Marth can see his pitifully slow attacks coming a mile away... One thing that puts him over the edge is his suicidal kill. It can really win a match if used correctly. Opponent A has 0% with 2 stock, while you have 153% with 3 stock, use the suicide technique, and you're 1 full stock ahead of him now :ohwell:
Kirby- His game has improved slightly with the dash attack and the double hammer swing. It seems like his entire arsenal of aerials has improved slightly. Not much to say on this little guy.
Yoshi- Yoshi is on the verge of low tier here... Not sure about him too much, they nerfed his down aerial too much, and they nerfed his over B in the air. He drops straight down now, whats the deal with that. He's still got potential with some of his smashes, and he's got some potential with his egg tosses. Perhaps he's fighting for a spot on middle tier.

Low tier

Donkey Kong- He's got the long arms, just not the speed. He's hard to use, but he may deserve a spot on middle tier just yet. His Uair is decent, along with his back aerial. He's quite powerful too... I just don't thing many will go far with this guy. Although they helped him out with his Over B this smash.
Sonic- Sonic's lack of priority and lack of fatal attacks is what kills him in this game. Sure, he's fast, he's unpredictable, but there are simply not enough killer moves with this guy. His Uair, and Bair are his only fatal moves above 130%. Despite his over smash being fatal, it's got terrible range. Anyone that gets hit by that baby needs to smack themselves across the face. Sonic's gotta have to get some awesome glitch to move up to middle or high tier... "Plus using his side taunt is one of the best ways to make sonic annoying!"-Sonic XD
Jigglypuff- Her fading tactics are now gone, and she's nothing more than a football to most characters ready to punt her off the stage. Her aerials are still decent, she just can't use her fading to bait the opponent into attacking anymore. That was her strong point. Her sleep attack is now rendered useless. It's harder to hit with it than ever.
Captain Falcon- Falcon... oh falcon your knee is gone! What happened to it, it's incredibly hard to hit with it now! Despite your falcon kick being slightly better, everything else has changed! Your speed now being dominated by sonic (who is also fail) is rendered useless because your attacks are so much worse now! Falcon punch will always remain in my heart though...
Ganondorf- Christalmighty, you've gone down the ****ter this game. You used to be slighty agile with wavelanding, and your hit boxes are so much smaller! Your aerial games have gone to ****. I can barely land any hits on my opponents with my Over Aerials, my Dairs, or my Bairs. Your warlock punch is far to easy to see (Despite it kicking *** when it does connect) and your warlock kick get's overrided by a simple disjoint... I'm sorry Ganon, but I have to give you up! I've tried playing with you, but you're just not the same as Melee.

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Wait, you forgot to mention the Zair. It is a very disjointed move. That will really bump samus up more spots.

J0K3R

Smash Journeyman
A disjoint is something that is not part of the character's body. Such as Marth's sword, or Pikachu's lightning. Disjoints over ride non-disjoints and have more priority. It's as simple as that.

I'm going to attempt to do this in the least bias way possible... Priority Characters will get the top and high tiers right away, along with campers. I do not place these in order, I place these characters in the branch I believe they belong in. (In otherwards, one character on the bottom of the top tier list may be better than one in the middle, vice versa. It's too early to specifically make statements about who's better in which tier)

Remember, this is opinionated... argue with me if you please I'm sure I'm wrong :laugh:

Top Tier
Wolf- Wolf has a decent range attack that does not only disrupt the opponent, but also deals 5%-7% Damage. He has long range on most of his attacks and his recovery attacks are not so easy to edge Guard. He's earned the right to be in top tier imo.
King Dedede- One thing that puts Dedede over the edge is his Chain-grab. It's such a simple concept, and it's just sickening when it happens to you. King Dedede may be slow, but they've also given him camping capabilities. He's just too much of a force to be reckoned with sometimes. Powerful (But slow...) attacks, a disjoint, camping capabilities, and chain grabbing... what more could you want in a character :ohwell: .
Toon Link- The best thing about TL is his insane range abilities, three different range attacks, all have good power. You can basically build a wall with his arrows if you were skilled enough. To top the icing on the cake, he has a powerful disjoint. His sword may look small and petty, but the hitbox on it is huge.
Falco- Once again I believe this bad bird deserves a spot on the top tier list purely because of his camping abilities. He's a major pain in the *** with short hoping. Plus he has advantages to certain characters like Shiek, and Captain Falcon, what with that infinite laser combo (Not that this is easy to pull off by any means...:ohwell: ) Although Falco may be put down a notch to the high tier list because of his ground attacks. They got nerfed just a bit in this game imo.
Marth- Marth is a fast, powerful (Tip of the ****, although harder to pull off), disjointed character. His sword overrides nearly all non-disjoint attacks. The range with his attacks is insane. He stays where he was last game, in the top/high tier list for me. He's a very difficult character to deal with if you're a character with neither a disjoint or a range attack.
Metaknight- Ho boy... Meta knight, imo, the most frustrating opponent to face. Such a character is only suited for fanatical berserkers. You barely have to try to hit someone and you do. The fact is, he has a disjoint, and if it was otherwise, he'd be lower in the tiers. It's just not easy to compete with a freaky swordsman that can send out attacks like a teenage boy does masturbating.
Pit- Another Character that can be deemed a "DPS" freak character. It doesn't take much for Pit to rack up damage on you. Most of his attacks can kill you past 100% which is bad, you'll get there fast if you're not careful. Not only does he have a sword (Disjoint), but he has ranged attacks, and they're useful too. You're able to change the direction of them from the start or half way through. Pit deserves a spot in the top or high tier list.

High Tier
Fox-Now most of you might knock me on the back of the head for putting Fox on the high tier list instead of top, but really, he's not as threatening as he was in Melee. His attacks have been dumbed down, they have some lag on them now, and shield shining is gone. His range is still there, annoying as ever, nonetheless, a terrible opponent to have to face.
Diddy Kong- Diddy Kong has some of the best Non-Disjoint game in Brawl. His aerials are pretty insane, along with his range attacks (**** you peeled bananas, why must I slip on you so much!) You can pretty much build a little fortress with two peeled bananas, then fire some peanuts at your **** opponent. Well... not really, but it's a nice gesture :laugh: you would never have the time to do that in a competitive match.
Zelda- Wow, did she improve from melee or what!? Her over B attack is just insane now, it has the hit box of a ****ing monster! Plus her aerial game is just over the top, powerful, and a hit box wonder. Her death kicks scare me sometimes :urg: . Although maybe I'm just overly excited about how she improved so much, maybe she's middle?
Rob- Despite me hating this guy, he's got potential to be a high tier character. He's got range, he's got decent hit boxes, and aerials. What more could you ask for (a disjoint I know :laugh: ) He's got some potential with combo'ing off of some of his attacks, particularly his uptilt (I think I'm right about the up tilt, or is it his up aerial?)
Gay and Watch erm... I mean Game and Watch- Despite me also hating this guy, he's got such freaking priority it pisses me off. All his bull**** with, oh, my key overrides your powerful rock hard head bowser, is just terrible. He's a character with a craptastic range attack, with priority. He's in high/top tier.
Ice Climbers-"The IC's excel in most areas of the game including camping, approaching, edge guarding, etc. Their attacks have lots of range, speed, priority, damage, and knockback. They still get to keep what made them so good in Melee like chaingrabs, and desynching, which is only made better by the slower pace of the game. Plus they recieved serveral buffs in areas that held them back in Melee such as recovery(both IC's can grab the ledge at once, you can get much more height off of SideB, and UpB now sweetspots ledges) and Nana's AI(she'll actually use UpB and SideB on her own to recovery). The only exploitable weakness the IC's have is that Popo is much less effective without Nana, but gimping Nana is much harder in the game because everyone lives at higher percents, plus as I said before their recovery and Nana's AI is better. Most importantly of all their match-ups are great. Most of them are either fair or good, with only like one or two bad ones that are a 4/6 at most." Quote from: Corner-Trap
Snake- Very unsure about this guy right now, he's got some incredible potential in my eyes though. Range attacks galore is all I can say. Ground tilts/smashes seem ok, and he's got some insane aerials. He's in the high/top tier list.
ZZS- Whatta *****! Her paralysis attacks are terrible if you get caught in them, and she has more than one. Not only that, she's a freaking monster when it comes to speed, that and Aerials...
Lucas- Ugh, I hate to say this, but the pansy has quite a bit of potential. His PK thunder, frost, and fire all pay quite a toll on the defensive types, and his aerials **** the offensive types. The ****er has over all a good arsenal of regular tilts and smashes.
Ike- Ike, the huge *** 2 handed sword guy that uses one hand to use a 2 handed sword :laugh: . But seriously, he's one of the easiest characters to pick up. He does massive damage in one swing, and he's got the most powerful (Ganon's elbow may compete) over smash in the game. His aerial game is decent, and of course, the disjoint puts him over the top against non disjoints.

Middle Tier

Pokemon Trainer- Pokemon Trainer has the most potential next to Olimar. Three different pokemon ready to bend at the will of the trainer. I place him near high tier because he can counter characters. Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur all have their pro's and con's. Squirtle having insane aerials, Charizard having great ground work, and Ivysaur having some range. They compliment each other very well.
Pikachu- Ah, good ol' Pikachu, you never do change much do you? I may underestimate you though. Your electrical disjoints do have a bit more priority than the pitiful non-disjointed characters, and you have one of the most annoying range attacks in the game. Perhaps you deserve high tier?
Luigi- Luigi has stayed pretty much the same this round, despite his feeling of inferiority :ohwell: His Karate chop has always been my favorite aerial, and he has some other decent ones. Don't forget his crappy range attack that disappears almost instantly! His ground game isn't as good as it used to be imo, everything seems a tid bit weaker with him. I could be wrong though.
Wario- As a Wario player myself, I can say he is definitely one of the best non-disjoint characters in his game (besides his bike). He's got some above average aerials, and some below average smashes. Above all he has one of the top recoveries in the game (allowing some very good edge guarding strategies)
Mario- Again... Mario comes in as an average character, always with his average range fireball attacks, and his average aerials, and his average tilts/smashes. Average average average.
Ness- Ness has improved since last game, he's more maneuverable than in melee, and he still has the aerials that he had in melee. Not to mention his ****in' baseball bat. He's still retained his range attacks, which pits him almost between high and middle.
Lucario - What a complicated character, at one end of the scale he's complete crap from the start, and at the other end of the scale he's a powerhouse with a risk. He has a powerful range attack that doesnt... have that much range, and some decent aerials. The more he get's hurt the stronger he becomes. Some may say he's on the lower end of the spectrum while others say he's at the higher end. I'm not that knowledgeable of this character.
Olimar- Take it from me, who's fighting someone who's maining and training as olimar 24/7. He's not as great as some would like to think. He becomes very vulnerable when airbourne. That means when he's facing disjointed aerial freaks, he gets ****ed. He's recovery is pitiful. All you have to do is hop on the edge, and press down and jump repeatedly till he gets near the edge and he plunges to his death by fault of his stupid UP-B recovery. Now despite that, he has insane camping capabilities, and insane range with his grab (**** YOU BLUE PIKMIN, WHY HAVE YOU BETRAYED ME!). He's a damage racker while a powerhouse at the same time, the only problem is organizing your pikmin. They're random so you could end up with 4 blue pikmin and 2 red, then what do you do? Spend your time throwing them off the edge while your opponent ***** you in the butt? I think not, maybe in time Olimar will move up or down the chain, but right now I think it's best to assume he belongs in the middle. His bad qualities equal out with his good.
Samus- I'm boldly disappointed in this character now, she's heavy as hell and her recovery sucks a ****. Her range attacks are weaker, and all her regular ground moves are worse! Wtf were they thinking when they made this character. If I didn't let my biasm kick in, I'd put her in low tier. Although one thing that she still has is priority with her screw attack, and an insane Nair (Nearly a disjoint). Her projectiles still keep her alive this game.
Sheik- Oh Sheik, poor poor Sheik, you've gone down the hole haven't you? But not to worry, you're just an average player now! Now, people won't despise you as much! I've got nothing to say other than her prowess in aerials has gone to **** alone with her ground game.
Peach- Now maybe Peach does belong to the high tier list, maybe she doesn't. But I know that when I fought the only peach player I knew, it wasn't overwhelming like she used to be. Her game seems to be the same, but really once you touch her, it's like everything changed slightly. None of her moves connect like they did before and they're slightly weaker (% wise and power wise).
Link- He got a punch in the face with his gale boomerang this round... It's so pitiful compared to his past boomerangs, hell, TL got a better boomerang than him :ohwell: It's one thing that really helped him melee, and it's gone. His UP B is no longer an edgeguarding tech and all his attacks are fairly weak. For a disjoint character, he is the worst. All he has working for him is his bombs and arrows... Some say that his gale boomerang is working for the better though. For edgeguarding and comboing.
Bowser- Ho-bo a debated character. Slow, but powerful, it's too hard to hit with him period. If it was any easier I'd place him higher. Counter characters such as Ike, and Marth can see his pitifully slow attacks coming a mile away... One thing that puts him over the edge is his suicidal kill. It can really win a match if used correctly. Opponent A has 0% with 2 stock, while you have 153% with 3 stock, use the suicide technique, and you're 1 full stock ahead of him now :ohwell:
Kirby- His game has improved slightly with the dash attack and the double hammer swing. It seems like his entire arsenal of aerials has improved slightly. Not much to say on this little guy.
Yoshi- Yoshi is on the verge of low tier here... Not sure about him too much, they nerfed his down aerial too much, and they nerfed his over B in the air. He drops straight down now, whats the deal with that. He's still got potential with some of his smashes, and he's got some potential with his egg tosses. Perhaps he's fighting for a spot on middle tier.

Low tier

Donkey Kong- He's got the long arms, just not the speed. He's hard to use, but he may deserve a spot on middle tier just yet. His Uair is decent, along with his back aerial. He's quite powerful too... I just don't thing many will go far with this guy. Although they helped him out with his Over B this smash.
Sonic- Sonic's lack of priority and lack of fatal attacks is what kills him in this game. Sure, he's fast, he's unpredictable, but there are simply not enough killer moves with this guy. His Uair, and Bair are his only fatal moves above 130%. Despite his over smash being fatal, it's got terrible range. Anyone that gets hit by that baby needs to smack themselves across the face. Sonic's gotta have to get some awesome glitch to move up to middle or high tier... "Plus using his side taunt is one of the best ways to make sonic annoying!"-Sonic XD
Jigglypuff- Her fading tactics are now gone, and she's nothing more than a football to most characters ready to punt her off the stage. Her aerials are still decent, she just can't use her fading to bait the opponent into attacking anymore. That was her strong point. Her sleep attack is now rendered useless. It's harder to hit with it than ever.
Captain Falcon- Falcon... oh falcon your knee is gone! What happened to it, it's incredibly hard to hit with it now! Despite your falcon kick being slightly better, everything else has changed! Your speed now being dominated by sonic (who is also fail) is rendered useless because your attacks are so much worse now! Falcon punch will always remain in my heart though...
Ganondorf- Christalmighty, you've gone down the ****ter this game. You used to be slighty agile with wavelanding, and your hit boxes are so much smaller! Your aerial games have gone to ****. I can barely land any hits on my opponents with my Over Aerials, my Dairs, or my Bairs. Your warlock punch is far to easy to see (Despite it kicking *** when it does connect) and your warlock kick get's overrided by a simple disjoint... I'm sorry Ganon, but I have to give you up! I've tried playing with you, but you're just not the same as Melee.
i do not approve of this lucas bashing and calling him a pansy... =)

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Oh and Samus also has grapple cancelling, makeing the Zair even more effective. Make sure you put that in your list.

I 0022 I

Smash Cadet

Toon Link
Marth
Falco
Pit

HIGH

Fox
Diddy Kong
Wolf
Metaknight
Ike
King DDD
Lucas
Snake
Olimar

MIDDLE

ROB
Luigi
Lucario
Game and Watch
Sheik
Kirby
Pikachu
ZSS
Zelda
Mario
Ice Climbers
Squirtle
Peach
Bowser
C. Falcon
Jigglypuff
Link
Ivysaur

LOW

Ness
Sonic
Charizard
Samus
Yoshi
Wario

BOTTOM

Ganondorf
DK

I know this needs work, and I am open to suggestions.

Hero Reborn

Smash Cadet
That's the truth man. A sonic main myself I think of it as someone with a rapeir agaist a guy with a two handed sword. Sonic has to attack and withdraw stratigically, and outwit his opponent. The otherguy just pretty much swings away.

I say low-mid for sonic/High-low
The problem with Sonic was that he was done to well compared to the other chracacters. What that means is that he was too well balanced. I'll show you.

This is how characters should be rated. This way we make a list of their strengh's and weakness and utalize them better.

A+ 100
A 95
A- 90
B+ 89
B 85
B- 80
C+ 79
C 75
C- 70
D+ 69
D 65
D- 60

Sonic
Manuverability= A+
Power= C
Atk Speed B
Atk Range= (A commands) B-
Atk Range= (B commands) B
Priority= C
Comboabilty= A+
Kill Moves= D
Recoverability= A
Edge guarding= A (gimping)
Learning Curve= D (Not added to average)

Average= 85.5 (B+)

That's my assessment on Sonic, but I'm sure most other characters would all rank 90's.

My point is Sonic is pretty balanced, but compared to other's he falls a bit short. How he fairs in the hands of a pro? Only time will tell.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Lucas will likely be higher up in high tier (definitely not top though). He can glitch his second jump in a way that makes his recovery huge (zap jumping and magnet pushing glitches), his tether recovery is short but keeps edgeguarders guessing, his magnet shuts down most campers, and with b-sticking and PK thunder, he can even try camping himself if he has to. His learning curve will eventually land him higher anyway.

Just my two cents

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
Top:

Falco- SHDL is one of the best camping and approaching tools in the game. He also has laser lock which is situational but still has potential. His chaingrab is very good and can be comboed into a spike off the stage, or send opponents through walk off ledges. The rest of his move set is fairly well rounded, with a very good air game.

Pit- His light arrows are a very effective camping tool, and his recovery is purely insane with five midair jumps, gliding, and an UpB that practically lets him fly. His close range game is fairly decent with lots of quick high priority attacks.

Toon Link- SHDA is similar to Falco's SHDL but TL's arrows move much slower allowing to create a type of wall. His boomerang has a large hit box and stays out for a long time, and his bombs have a fairly big blast radius. Most of his moves are fairly quick with good priority, and his air game is really good.

Snake- His projectiles are good against characters who don't have projectiles, but against characters who do, they can interrupt him during start-up fairly often. This doesn't make them useless just more situational. His dash attack, jab combo, tilts, Fair, and Bair all come out very quickly, do lots of damage and knockbock, and have insane priority(some of them are even disjointed). His boost smash is one of the best approaches in the game, and SH Dair is also a decent approach.

Ice Climbers- They still have what made them so good in Melee such as desynching and chaingrabs. Plus they've been buffed in areas that held them back in Melee such as recovery, and Nana's AI. Their move set in general is pretty good with decent amounts of range, speed, damage, priority, and knockback. They also excel in a lot of areas such as camping, approaching, edge guarding, etc. They are the only characters who can 0 to death off a single grab, and have four new infinites in this game that work on all characters and don't require stage specifications. Main weakness is that Popo is much less effective without Nana, but gimping Nana is a whole lot harder now.

Zelda- Her approach may be weak, but see can camp decently. She's one of the only characters who can consistently KO below 100%, with a large arsenal of KO moves that are surprisingly fast.

Metaknight- He has very good approach for someone who doesn't have a projectile. His attacks are quick with decent priority, and he can rack up damage really fast. His recovery is also really good, and he's the only character that can glide twice while in the air. Main problems is that he doesn't KO well until the higher percents, and that he can easily be KO'ed at lower percents.

R.O.B.- Both of his projectiles are really good but cannot be spammed since they must be charged. He has good range with a few disjointed hitboxes, and has really good recovery. He can KO well but most of his best KO moves come out rather slow.

Marth- Nearly all of his attacks in general are good. SideB is now much more reliable in combat, and UpB has invincibility on startup. SH into double Fair is a good approach, but he still has trouble moving in against projectile spammers, and he can't camp at all.

High:

Wolf- He has a very strong move set overall. Only real problem is that his recovery is trash. He has the fastest falling speed in the game, and his UpB and SideB don' sweetspot ledges at all. I could see him being moved to top tier.

King Dedede- He's a heavy weight with really good recovery including four midair jumps and a really high UpB, this effectively makes him the hardest character in the game to KO. His move set is balanced out nicely with some quick weak attacks along with slow powerful attacks. His chaingrab is pretty decent and can gimp people on walk off ledges. Main things holding him back is his average approach plus some seriously bad match-ups.

Diddy Kong- He has a very good air game and a decent ground game. Bannana's are also good at controlling space, but can easily be turned against you. Glide tossing also increases the throw range of his banana's. His KO moves are pretty average unless you count his multiple spikes.

Zero Suit Samus- Really good range thanks to the whip, does good amounts of damage, and obviously has a very large disjointed hitbox. Attacks also come out very fast considering their range, but she's pretty average when it comes to KO's. Her paralyzer is also a good projectile that leads into nice follow ups, but can't exactly be used for camping.

Game & Watch- He has received large improvements since Melee, everything about him has gotten better from his damage, to his priority, to his knockback. Bair ***** shields, and the parachute at the end of his UpB actually does wonders for his recovery. Too bad he's still extremely light and dies out easily to characters with good vertical kills.

Pikman & Olimar- Pikman are good for racking up damage but not so good for keeping people out since only the purple one offers any kind of knockback. His attacks have really good range and knockback, and the disjointed hitboxes offered by the pikman are also nice. Of course though, his recovery sucks and can easily be gimped. Plus he has some seriously bad match-ups against characters like MK and Wolf.

Fox- Fox has been slightly nerfed in all areas, but is still usable. Shine is much weaker in knockback, and lasers have a lot less range. He isn't bad, it's just that a lot of characters can do everything he does but much better, and he has some bad match-ups against lower tiered characters. He can possibly be moved down to mid tier.

Lucas- He's basically everything Ness wishes he was. He has the better projectiles, recovery, and KO's. Even though his recovery is better than Ness's it can still be gimped. The range of his attacks are simply monstrous given that he's such a little guy.

Mid:

Luigi- One of the more well balanced character with both a good air and ground game. UpB is one of the outright best KO moves in the game that can start killing some characters around 50%, and it's fairly simple to setup. Sadly his approach is limited to fireball spam which isn't all that good, and he can't camp with it either due to poor range.

Pikachu- QAC has a lot of potential and is helpful in approaching. Dsmash is fast with lots of range and does absurd amounts of damage, plus good priority to boot. DownB has also been improved since the lighting is faster on startup and cool down. NeutralB can still be used as a somewhat below average camping tool.

Kirby- Improved in about every area since Melee, but nothing to overly drastic. He's definitely a better character overall, but it's just that a lot of other characters out due him.

Jigglypuff- Even though rest has a bigger hitbox, plants a flower on the opponents head, and now launches completely vertically, the fact that it can't KO reliably until around 60% removes it's main use. Fair and NeutralB have been improved as far as killing potential goes, and you no longer have to fear suiciding yourself by hitting the opponent with rollout near the ledge. WoP is still as good as ever though, but a lot of characters have really good aerial games now.

Sheik- Main thing nerfed is Sheik's KO power, but everything else about her is essentially the same. Her boost smash can go half way across final destination making it a good approach and punishing tool. Repeated Ftilts can be followed up by basically everything. Sheiks still useful, just not as good as before.

Peach- She no longer has float cancels, turnips disappear once they hit the ground, and Dair now pops the opponent up. All of this really take away from you pressure game which was the main thing she had going for her in Melee. Glide tossing gives her a fairly good spacing game, and will probably be one of her more useful techs.

Squirtle- He's fast and floaty with a good air game and can WoP well. Usmash and Fsmash KO well but come out a bit slow. Aside from that he doesn't have much in the way of KO's unless he wants to aggressively edgeguard someone off the stage.

Wario- Somewhat of an underrated character. SH Dair is a decent as an approach but his approach overall is pretty much crap. His move set is a bit of a mixed bag with most of his attacks being useful but aren't very straight forward. His bite in particular is really good against characters without projectiles or disjointed hitboxes. His aerial mobility can allow him to be played similarly to Jiggs with a lot of weaving in and out. His recovery is also really good as long as he can use his bike, and it's even better if his fart is charged up.

Ike- He seems to be the only character who's both underrated and overrated. Most tier lists I see either have him at the top or at the bottom, but I think he rightfully deserves to be on the lower end of mid tier. He may lack speed but makes it up with good range, damage, priority, and knockback. Biggest problems is that his match-ups are crap against anyone with a good camping game.

Charizard- Has some really good tilts and attacks faster than what most would think. His recovery is pretty average which is a bit of a surprise, since he only has two midair jumps and a fairly standard UpB. Rocksmash is a very good KO move, but his KO's are only slightly above average overall.

Lucario- Has a lot going for him, but sadly he can only wreck havoc on opponents when he's already close to dieing. Aura sphere is also a bit of a lack luster projectile since you can't camp with it, and will trade off with attacks that it should blow right through.

Ness- Doesn't really have much going for him, just enough to keep him out of the bottom. His projectiles aren't all that good and can't really be used to camp. Recovery is easily gimpable, and his attacks are pretty mediocre outside of his air game. He can possibly be moved down to low tier.

Low:

Donky Kong- He can Ftilt a lot of different projectiles which moderately helps his approach. His limps give him really long range, and he has very good priority for someone with no disjointed hitboxes. His smashes KO efficiently but are a bit laggy.

Samus- For some unapparent reason, Samus has been nerfed in every area possible. Even though she was only on the upper end of the mid tier they still felt it was necessary to rob her of her projectile game and KO power. She's no longer the queen of projectile spam camping, there are just too many characters who out do her.

Link- His projectile game is a bit worse than TL's since he can't SHDA, and his boomerang doesn't hit on the return, but his bombs to have more knockback. His ground game is average at best, and TL puts his aerial game to shame.

Bowser- The slower pace of the game work for and against him. He gets eaten up by projectile spam but now fairs much better against speedsters. SideB off the stage is good for evening up a match, finishing up a stock, or heading to a sudden death. Bowser has been improved but not by enough to put him high in the tiers.

Ivysaur- Possibly the worst recovery in the entire game. Her aerials are a bit lacking and a lot of her moves are really laggy, but she does have good range and knockback though. I could see moving her up to the middle or upper part of the low tier.

Bottom:

Yoshi- He has received both nerfs and buffs, but I don't understand why any of his moves were nerfed in the first place. Most notably his Dsmash has been nerfed and isn't good for KO's. SideB seems better as an approach, and can blow through some characters camping games. It looks like he has a lot of bad match-ups but none are complete blow outs. I can see him moving to the bottom of the mid tier.

Mario- Significantly worse since Melee. His DownB in Melee was already useless, but his new DownB in Brawl is even more useless. Cape is now significantly worse since you can still be hit even if you manage to reflect your opponent. Dair may be a decent approach but his old Dair was just better overall. Fireballs are a below average projectile that doesn't offer much. He simply doesn't pose any advantages over other characters.

Captain Falcon- He has been nerfed severely in terms of knockback and damage. His speed has been toned down and the lack of combos in Brawl really hurt what made him so good in Melee. His aerials are quite laggy if missed time, this means you can no longer hop around spamming them. He is just a worse character overall that requires to much effort for too little reward.

Sonic- Some people seem to overhype him on tier lists, but he literally has no advantages outside of movement speed which only gives him a decent approach. His attacks overall just lack in damage, knockback, priority, range, and surprisingly speed. For such a fast moving character it doesn't even make sense for his attacks to have the kind of start up and cool down lag they do. His match-ups are also pretty terrible since most characters just straight up beat him out of his attacks.

Ganondorf- I definitely rank him within the bottom three characters in the game. His attacks have high damage and knockback but the priority and range is only slightly above average, and their really slow. He gets completely ***** by anyone with a halfway decent projectile, and characters without them still beat him hard simply due to either speed or priority. Most of his attacks have large amounts of lag at the end making him easily punishable for missing a single attack. His tech chase game is pretty decent and easy to setup, but thats not enough to make up for all his other cons.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
I hate these discusiions, but regarding Corner-Traps:

I agree with almost all of this, however, ness seems a bit lower than I think he deserves. Not saying he isn't mid tier, but I see him better than Ike.

Zink

Smash Champion
corner-trap, ROB needs to move up due to INSANE recovery. As in, if the opponent has the edge locked down Rob just goes "meh whatever" and flies under the stage to the other stage. I haven't yet found as stage where he CAN'T do this. He can charge gyro on the way back and the slow nature of his recovery means laser will be powered up as well.

supercake

Smash Apprentice
everyone is underestimating sonic. once some pros start working him out he will move up definitely. his insane speed is good for high tier play. imho he will end up being at least mid tier, maybe high.

Sailboat

Smash Cadet

First of all... WTF is a tire? Why is it that when I type t-i-e-r into the post it comes out to be tire? Seriously wtf.. I can't believe there's this many posts about the parts of cars. Secondly, why is everyone giving nicknames to the characters? It's about as useful as a snorkel in a wrestling match.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I know i'm gonna get flamed for this, cuz i know you guys are just having fun. but could we please keep this a serious topic, please

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Can you please post all of Sonic's match-ups? I'd like to see how you think he does overall. And a lot of characters edgeguard and gimp much better than Sonic.

If I remember correctly M2K already confirmed that the Ken combo no longer works. If you do happen to get it off then that means your opponent didn't DI or air dodged properly.
Mods We got hacked help us change the server lolz w been hacked look at it ...

therukus

Smash Cadet
First of all... WTF is a tire? Why is it that when I type t-i-e-r into the post it comes out to be tire? Seriously wtf.. I can't believe there's this many posts about the parts of cars. Secondly, why is everyone giving nicknames to the characters? It's about as useful as a snorkel in a wrestling match.
It's a forum thing, admins can change it so whenever you say a word it says something else. Like whenever you want to say the F word it comes out as Porkchops or something.

Example snake typed s-n-ak-e comes out as SNAAAAAKE lol.

OoNoiRoO

Smash Journeyman
midair.

mid air.

mid + air = midair.

>_>

D air = Dair

F air = Fair

N air = Nair

U air = Uair

B air = Bair

RAR

wavedash

f0x = fox

booser = bowser

faIco = falco

captain falc0n = captain falcon

M@rio = mario

Iuigi = luigi

p3ach = peach

P!t = Pit

M@rth = Marth

Roy

R0B = ROB

Mewtwo

Lucario

pokemon trainer

pikachu

jigglypuff

toon link

link

F smash = Fsmash

U smash = Usmash

D smash = Dsmash

Anything else besides character names and move names?

Sonic XD

Smash Ace
Lol i love april fools Sonic

reborn394

Smash Apprentice

Top Tier

High Tier

Middle Tier

Samus- I'm boldly disappointed in this character now, she's heavy as hell and her recovery sucks a ****. Her range attacks are weaker, and all her regular ground moves are worse! Wtf were they thinking when they made this character. If I didn't let my biasm kick in, I'd put her in low tier. Although one thing that she still has is priority with her screw attack, and an insane Nair (Nearly a disjoint). Her projectiles still keep her alive this game, not to mention her Zair knocks her up a bit in the middle tier list.

Low tier

can you be more serious with the tier list please?

Example: Gay and Watch erm... I mean Game and Watch- Despite me also hating this guy, he's got such freaking priority it pisses me off. All his bull**** with, oh, my key overrides your powerful rock hard head bowser, is just terrible. He's a character with a craptastic range attack, with priority. He's in high/top tier.

Just say Mr. Game and Watch and give a more detailed description as to why this character and such belong in this tier level.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice

Example: Gay and Watch erm... I mean Game and Watch- Despite me also hating this guy, he's got such freaking priority it pisses me off. All his bull**** with, oh, my key overrides your powerful rock hard head bowser, is just terrible. He's a character with a craptastic range attack, with priority. He's in high/top tier.

Just say Mr. Game and Watch and give a more detailed description as to why this character and such belong in this tier level.
Are you stupid, or just oblivious to the april fools word filter?

RetroBro

Smash Ace

hahahahhahaah, no

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Are you stupid, or just oblivious to the april fools word filter?
Beautiful, just the response I expected from an immature and ignorant person that can't think for himself. All I said was if he can be more serious about that and you come in and insult me. Talk about lack of self-control over a forum; and I'm sure you wouldn't say that to me in real life.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Beautiful, just the response I expected from an immature and ignorant person that can't think for himself. All I said was if he can be more serious about that and you come in and insult me. Talk about lack of self-control over a forum; and I'm sure you wouldn't say that to me in real life.
Look I made a tier list with my opinions in it. You're welcome to argue anything about it. But I'm not going to change my attitude about it. I spent almost an hour coming up with it. You spend some time on your own making your own tier list, and I'll tell you that I don't like it. That's basically what you came in with. This is a discussion for the tier list, and mine had plenty of reason behind it. My reasoning for G&W was that he had high priority and an annoying range attack.

Back the hell off.

EDIT: If you really haven't caught onto the April Fool's word filters you need to get your brain checked.

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Look I made a tier list with my opinions in it. You're welcome to argue anything about it. But I'm not going to change my attitude about it. I spent almost an hour coming up with it. You spend some time on your own making your own tier list, and I'll tell you that I don't like it. That's basically what you came in with. This is a discussion for the tier list, and mine had plenty of reason behind it. My reasoning for G&W was that he had high priority and an annoying range attack.

Back the hell off.

EDIT: If you really haven't caught onto the April Fool's word filters you need to get your brain checked.
Your missing the point; I don't care about making opinions on your tier list or whatnot. All I said was that you could've said Mr. Game and Watch instead of calling him something else. I'm sorry if I missed the whole april fools thing...but I assumed it was a forum were everyone is civilized and I can get help on tiers and stuff...

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Sorry, don't like the character, and I have a nickname for him. It's not like my dislike for him put him down in the bottom t ier. I put him in top/high t ier. Guess you're just going to have to live with me putting Gay and Watch rather than Game and Watch.

reborn394

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, don't like the character, and I have a nickname for him. It's not like my dislike for him put him down in the bottom t ier. I put him in top/high t ier. Guess you're just going to have to live with me putting Gay and Watch rather than Game and Watch.
I guess your missing the point again...you nicknamed every character besides Mr. Game and Watch. And keep in mind what I said about the april fools thing in my last post.

TMS2

Smash Rookie

Make him, pl0x.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
I was going to make a very serious post, but decided not to because I don't want my post to be jacked by the April Fool's filter.

EDIT:

It's funny how everyone is going on with these serious conversations acting like the word filter doesn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom