• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I decided to update my tier again.

===
Marth
Wolf
Toon Link

High
=====
Falco
Snake
Metaknight
Fox
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Pit
Diddy
Pikachu
Ike
Olimar
Luigi
Zelda
ZSS
Lucario
Lucas
DeDeDe
R.O.B

Mid
===
Sonic
Sheik
Ness
Link
DK
Squirtle
Jiggs
Kirby
Mario
Wario
Peach

Low
=====
C. Falcon
Ivysaur
Yoshi
Bowser
Samus

bottom
===
Charzard
Gannondorf

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi is awesome because he can reliably Jab to Up-B. NUFF SAID. His low traction is AWESOME because of that. Basically walk into someone, let your traction carry you so you can jab someone, then Up-B them.

He's also a monster at juggling because his air game has really good setups and amazing speed.

Luigi should be really high on the tiers. IMO top of the high tier.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I decided to update my tier again.

===
Marth
Wolf
Toon Link

High
=====
Falco
Snake
Metaknight
Fox
Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Pit
Diddy
Pikachu
Ike
Olimar
Luigi
Zelda
ZSS
Lucario
Lucas
DeDeDe
R.O.B

Mid
===
Sonic
Sheik
Ness
Link
DK
Squirtle
Jiggs
Kirby
Mario
Wario
Peach

Low
=====
C. Falcon
Ivysaur
Yoshi
Bowser
Samus

bottom
===
Charzard
Gannondorf
Nice list but i think that in brawl the top tier will conist of more than three characters. Also marth is not at all the best in the game, his glaring weakness is that he has no projectile; but if he had he would be one if not the best. MK should be in the top tier; like no lag and best recovery in the game if you use it well. Snake should also be on top beacuse of his insane mindgame ability. sonic is to high up, should at least be in middle of the mid tier But overrall a very good list

Hello guys, This isn't the Normal Nigerian Star Storm, I'm the guy who he originally posted a Tier list from. For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to formulate a Tier list so good on Gamefaqs that almost everyone agrees with, and therefore would stop making *** Tier lists daliy. I believe I'm getting relatively close, and I wanted to repost it here to see where it needs improvements.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=42684552

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Falco
R.O.B.
Marth
Toon Link

High Tier:
Mr. Game and Watch
Diddy Kong
Zelda
Pit
Wolf
Fox
Ice Climbers
Olimar
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Ness
Lucas
King Dedede

Mid Tier:
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Sheik
Luigi
Wario
Kirby
Mario
Bowser
Donkey Kong
lke

Low tier :
Peach
Sonic
Yoshi
Link
Samus
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Ganondorf

Please comment on this, and also, can I have breakdown on G-Dorf, Ike, maybe a small one on DDD and Zelda? I think I have a good idea on these characters, and I just wanted to get more input

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Snake doesn't just have mindgames, he has the best control game in the game. MK isn't just lagless, he has the best approach ability in the game. One of these two will be the top of the list...probably Snake, since he counters MK, although we have no idea what the evolving meta game will have in store for us. I think people will learn to deal with Snake and MK, and they won't be as prevalent or godly as they are now.

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
jesus ****ing christ, swordmaster. first of all, you don't matter. stop giving us updates on your opinion.

second of all, those opinions of yours you keep throwing around? they're ****ty. really, really, really ****ty. first of all, you've misspelled charizard every single time, along with the fact that you keep splitting up the pokemon trainer like a mouth breathing moron. not to mention that you're VASTLY underrating pokemon trainer as a whole, pokemon trainer should be mid tier at worst. wolf is not that good, luigi is not that good, game and watch is not that good, jigglypuff is not that good, lucario is not that good, sonic is not that good, rob is way the hell better than you've given him credit for, snake needs to be moved up. falco and metaknight could stand to be moved up, but that's tolerable considering the rest of your tier list.

there. i responded to you. go away now, and take your horrible list with you.

EDIT:

Please comment on this, and also, can I have breakdown on G-Dorf, Ike, maybe a small one on DDD and Zelda? I think I have a good idea on these characters, and I just wanted to get more input
that list isn't actually half bad.

i feel that game and watch should be moved down, bowser should be moved down, ike should be moved up, and peach should be moved up. other than that, i could stand that being more or less the official list.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
In no particular order:

Top Tier:
Marth
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight

Higher High Tier
Snake
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Zelda
Toon Link

Lower High Tier
ROB
Mr. Game & Watch
Squirtle
Lucario
ZSS
Pit

Higher Mid
Weegee
Ness
Lucas
Pikachu
Peach
Ike

Mid Mid
Kirby
Charizard
Mario
Sonic
Dedede

Lower Mid
Sheik
Link
Samus
Wario
DK
Ivysaur

Low
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganon
Bowser

I probably missed someone, oh well.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order:

Top Tier:
Marth
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight

Higher High Tier
Snake
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Zelda
Toon Link

Lower High Tier
ROB
Mr. Game & Watch
Squirtle
Lucario
ZSS
Pit

Higher Mid
Weegee
Ness
Lucas
Pikachu
Peach
Ike

Mid Mid
Kirby
Charizard
Mario
Sonic
Dedede

Lower Mid
Sheik
Link
Samus
Wario
DK
Ivysaur

Low
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganon
Bowser

Too much seperation between the tiers, the mid should completly be merged beacuse brawl has become a more equal game than it was in melee. Also fox is not top tier, but he can be placed in the high or middle tier

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order:

Top Tier:
Marth
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight

Higher High Tier
Snake
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Zelda
Toon Link

Lower High Tier
ROB
Mr. Game & Watch
Squirtle
Lucario
ZSS
Pit

Higher Mid
Weegee
Ness
Lucas
Pikachu
Peach
Ike

Mid Mid
Kirby
Charizard
Mario
Sonic
Dedede

Lower Mid
Sheik
Link
Samus
Wario
DK
Ivysaur

Low
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganon
Bowser

terrible. my first hint was that you split up the pokemon trainer. further proof that you don't know what you're talking about came from the fact that you have SEVEN MOTHER ****ING TIERS.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@NS: There are fewer mid tiers and low tiers in Brawl. Some of those characters on the mid tier should be on the high tier, and some of those characters on the low tier should be mid tier.

Also Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are clearly the only two bottom tier characters. And most people won't agree right now, but I can explain why Captain Falcon is the worst character in the game as opposed to Ganondorf.

R.O.B. is high tier. G&W is top tier. I think Diddy and the IC might also on the top tier to be honest.

Fox should be lower. Mario series characters except Peach need to be higher. The Pokemon trainer should be higher. Link and Ike should be raised a bit.

And seriously, why do people think G&W is JUST high tier? The thing is he's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the high tiers people list, and he can take down the top tiers fairly easily.

People rag on how he's lightweight, but the thing is he survives a lot longer than most characters because his defensive options are AMAZING. Couple this with the fact he kills at lower percents than HE gets killed at, yeah.

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order:

Top Tier:
Marth
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Meta Knight

Higher High Tier
Snake
Olimar
Ice Climbers
Diddy
Zelda
Toon Link

Lower High Tier
ROB
Mr. Game & Watch
Squirtle
Lucario
ZSS
Pit

Higher Mid
Weegee
Ness
Lucas
Pikachu
Peach
Ike

Mid Mid
Kirby
Charizard
Mario
Sonic
Dedede

Lower Mid
Sheik
Link
Samus
Wario
DK
Ivysaur

Low
Yoshi
Captain Falcon
Ganon
Bowser

Wow, this is actually one of the best list ive seen.

@NS: There are fewer mid tiers and low tiers in Brawl. Some of those characters on the mid tier should be on the high tier, and some of those characters on the low tier should be mid tier.

Also Ganondorf and Captain Falcon are clearly the only two bottom tier characters. And most people won't agree right now, but I can explain why Captain Falcon is the worst character in the game as opposed to Ganondorf.

R.O.B. is high tier. G&W is top tier. I think Diddy and the IC might also on the top tier to be honest.

Fox should be lower. Mario series characters except Peach need to be higher. The Pokemon trainer should be higher. Link and Ike should be raised a bit.

And seriously, why do people think G&W is JUST high tier? The thing is he's SIGNIFICANTLY better than the high tiers people list, and he can take down the top tiers fairly easily.

People rag on how he's lightweight, but the thing is he survives a lot longer than most characters because his defensive options are AMAZING. Couple this with the fact he kills at lower percents than HE gets killed at, yeah.

Well for the most part I based my list off of using mostly the few tourney results I have knowledge of from the US, Daily tourney results list from Japan, and overall character abilites and matchups. Altough Pro opinion may override that

VulgarHandGestures

Smash Journeyman
REALLY? O_o

Are you sure he was serious?
well, i guess you could ask him yourself. he seemed serious to me...

i don't remember the exact details of the post, but i remember something about the d-smash being a key point. i dunno. to be honest, falcon doesn't strike me as the terrible character most people make him out to be.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@SwordmasterXXX1

Captain Falcon has no priority, no grab range, no decent approach, and no reliable kill moves. He can't deal with projectiles very well either, and his recovery sucks.

Ganondorf at least can grab, approach, combo, and kill. He can also counterpick at Brinstar. Falcon has none of those advantages.

n00b ADAM!

Smash Cadet
i say captain falcon is the best character in the game. hes fast and powerful and hes gotta be the best charcter i mean alot of people say mewtwo is the best in thegame but no way yo i kick there *** with captian falcon because he is so quick. i think sonic is mad good becuase hes fast like captain flacon but isnt as strong no what im saying but he is good just not as good as captain falcon yo peace

n00b ADAM!

Smash Cadet
yo a2zomg you dont no nothin i will kick your **** with captain faclon he has kill moves look at the falcon punch you andd dont forget his flaing elbow is powerful **** yo

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Captain Falcon is not fast. And his kill options are the worst in the game.

He runs fast, but his attack speed is far below average. His smash attacks are far too slow, and not strong or rangey enough to outweigh that. He can't combo into the Falcon Punch like he could in Melee, so that is not an option anymore. The Knee can't be comboed into. His D-air sucks horribly. His grab range also sucks.

Captain Falcon doesn't have any legitimate advantages.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you think Captain Falcon has decent kill moves, then explain. His kill moves are much too situational to be used at all.

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
i say captain falcon is the best character in the game. hes fast and powerful and hes gotta be the best charcter i mean alot of people say mewtwo is the best in thegame but no way yo i kick there *** with captian falcon because he is so quick. i think sonic is mad good becuase hes fast like captain flacon but isnt as strong no what im saying but he is good just not as good as captain falcon yo peace
This is my new sig.

Triforce_Chauzu

Smash Apprentice
Guess I'll try this myself, as well...

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Falco
Toon Link
Wolf

High Tier:
R.O.B.
Marth
Mr. Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Olimar
King Dedede
Zelda
Pit
Fox
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas

Mid Tier:
lke
Diddy Kong
Ness
Peach
Sheik
Luigi
Wario
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Kirby
Mario
Bowser

Low tier :
Samus
Donkey Kong
Sonic
Yoshi
Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

----

Decent, eh? :D

SwordmasterXXXI

Smash Journeyman
Guess I'll try this myself, as well...

Top Tier:
Snake
Meta Knight
Falco
Toon Link
Wolf

High Tier:
R.O.B.
Marth
Mr. Game and Watch
Ice Climbers
Olimar
King Dedede
Zelda
Pit
Fox
Pikachu
Zero Suit Samus
Lucas

Mid Tier:
lke
Diddy Kong
Ness
Peach
Sheik
Luigi
Wario
Lucario
Pokemon Trainer
Kirby
Mario
Bowser

Low tier :
Samus
Donkey Kong
Sonic
Yoshi
Link
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff

----

Decent, eh? :D
8/10. It's better than a lot of other ones I've seen. >_>

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Mario is too high.
Samus, Donkey Kong, and Luigi are too low.
I swear to god, if I see another tier list placing Samus on the same level as useless imps like Link, I'll kill myself.

mesCo

Smash Cadet
Ok.. from my point of view, captain falcon isn't any worse than some other characters, partly because i never played melee.

First off, there are mini-combos with falcon that some of u dont realize. Ppl say how he cant combo anymore, but really, no character can combo anymore. Combos are just errors of the opponent in brawl. Next, u guys say he has no range. Imo, the raptor boost and ground falcon kick count as range attacks, especially the falcon kick, even tho its not an actual ranged attack. The falcon kick moves fast enough for me to classify it as a range attack. Also, instead of his crappy grab, a neutral A can be much more effective. It can deal out 20-25 dmg, and is hard to escape. For KOers, u guys are forgetting the notorious falcon pawnch. Also, his up B works quite well, sorta like MK's.

I will admit... his smash attacks do blow. They arent that powerful and the hitboxes are quite small, especially his upsmash.

Most importantly, the main reason i use falcon is cuz of the addictingly strange gravity he has. Similar to fox, but still different in a way, falcon is the most fun character in the game. Even tho he may suck, he is still mad fun to use.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Luigi, Bowser, Mario, and Wario are all good enough to be on the high tier, and I do mean in that order.

Ok.. from my point of view, captain falcon isn't any worse than some other characters, partly because i never played melee.
Cool thing you didn't see him getting nerfed, but that still doesn't change that everyone is capable of doing something better than anything Captain Falcon can do.

First off, there are mini-combos with falcon that some of u dont realize. Ppl say how he cant combo anymore, but really, no character can combo anymore. Combos are just errors of the opponent in brawl. Next, u guys say he has no range. Imo, the raptor boost and ground falcon kick count as range attacks, especially the falcon kick, even tho its not an actual ranged attack. The falcon kick moves fast enough for me to classify it as a range attack. Also, instead of his crappy grab, a neutral A can be much more effective. It can deal out 20-25 dmg, and is hard to escape. For KOers, u guys are forgetting the notorious falcon pawnch. Also, his up B works quite well, sorta like MK's.
Mini combos? Falcon's "combo" setups blow. He has trouble following up with anything because he has trouble grabbing. His U-air sends people too far to juggle effectively, the Raptor Boost sends people too high, that kind of stuff (and mind you, the Raptor Boost CAN'T kill. USELESS, especially since the priority sucks. If someone was in the position to be hit by that, you should have hit them with a Knee). The Falcon kick sucks, but at least it is indeed better for approaching since it can avoid getting shieldgrabbed. It also does more damage than the Raptor Boost, so use that instead of the Raptor Boost. And yes, the Jab combo is the ONE thing Falcon is better at doing. ><

By the way, there are characters that can combo. Ganondorf can combo after using his Forward B. G&W can D-smash people after D-throwing if they miss the tech. Falco, ICs, and I think Wario can chaingrab. Reliable combos are extremely rare, but they do exist.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Well I never get tired of explaining most things.

Why Bowser is awesome:
1. AMAZING range and priority.
2. Great grab range. Can grab from the air. Flying Slam deals 18% or Suicide kills
3. Infinite midair jump glitch gives him great aerial options.
4. Attacks deal good damage and knockback
5. U-air is one of the strongest vertical killers in the game
6. Can still Fortressshield
7. Firebreath deters approaches and recovery
8. Overall significantly less laggy than he was in Melee.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
How isn't Bowser much when he's really good at approaching, spacing, and killing?

Bowser improved by a LOT. IMO he's seriously in a similar league with Pikachu, Luigi, and Zelda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom