• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
@ Mario vs Luigi debate: Mario can't approach as well as Luigi can. In a campy game where the cape can't reflect every single projectile, that's a big point in Luigi's favor.
Also Luigi has the best dash attack in the game, no contest.
Luigi has the best dash attack? I don't think so. It's better from Melee, and not completly uselesss now (I've even scored a kill off it once in Brawl), but I'd say that Snake or maybe DDD has the best dash attack.

And for the Mario vs Luigi debate, Luigi is better, his aerials are quicker,stronger, and have more priority. Luigi is also stronger, and his recovery is way better than Mario's.

What Mario has better than Luigi is a better edgeguarding game, a reflector, and a better meteor smash.

Really? You think you're funny? I was merely expressing my distaste for Tiers and the attitudes players have about them. Why don't you back to 4chan where YOUR kind is.
Please, if you don't like Tiers, then do not freaking troll topics about them. You're just going to get responses like that, and contribute nothing to the disscussion. Don't blame me for your ****ed ignorance when you bring that TR4Q crap into this topic when you probably don't even know what they are and how they work and insult not only me but any other posters in this topic. I really want to track down the guy who made that expression and blast him into oblivion. This kind of trash is just plain stupid.

And 4chan has even more people of your kind, probably on an even worse level. GG

Stube

Smash Rookie
I'd say Kirby's dash is better than DDD's (just cause its slow) idk about Snake. Kirby's dash is a good shield breaker

JasonLovesKelsey

Smash Rookie
If you were just "merely expressing your distate for Tiers and the attitudes players have about them" was the BIG FONT, BOLD, UNDERLINE AND ITALICS necessary?
Well, it was mostly for effect, but it did seem rather fitting.

Your the dumass who mains half the brawl roster and the other half is your secondaries/tertaries
I main them because their my fav characters and the ones I like playing as.

Please, if you don't like Tiers, then do not freaking troll topics about them. You're just going to get responses like that, and contribute nothing to the disscussion. Don't blame me for your ****ed ignorance when you bring that TR4Q crap into this topic when you probably don't even know what they are and how they work and insult not only me but any other posters in this topic. I really want to track down the guy who made that expression and blast him into oblivion. This kind of trash is just plain stupid.

And 4chan has even more people of your kind, probably on an even worse level. GG
Well, seeing as how this is the 'Official Tier Discussion' post I figured that maybe I could talk about tiers here. But I guess I was wrong. I can only be flamed for expressing opinion different from the mainstream. And yes I do know how tiers work and I think they're horrible, people should play with their favorite characters, not characters that other people deem 'Top Tier'. But, I digress, It's best that we all stop now before someone gets banned for flaming. I sincerly apologize if any of you saw this as trolling.

SaxDude93

Smash Apprentice
1. 4chan. *shudders* Whoever goes to 4chan should be shot.

2. I say Snake has the best dash attack. Not because it kills the best or is super fast, but because of the usefulness. It's long and can mortar slide.

Veng

Smash Ace
No one heard me because the kid with no balls was spamming :(

Im not a smash pro but whats a disjointed hitbox..

I guess i might aswell say this too since you guys seem like you know everything:

Ive been playing as Lucas since it came out, but hes not that great and easily countered and hes got 1 projectile thats not that great.

I tried Meta Knight, but my friend said I just ended up spamming and not trying to combo, Id like to try GW and ROB, but first I need some help.

Out of MK, ROB, GW - which would you think be the best for me after a Lucas playing style? I mean I dont wanna just go because its high tier characters but, I forgot his name, KDJ? No, um, well some one in melee used Bowser, and they werent that great, because of that, but ( i heard ) they own in Brawl because of the character change. (Said from PCChris in a video on MLG.com )

So I wanna switch too one of those 3, not only becasue of high tier but, I can say for a fact owning people with GW would be funny, because a lot of first timers are gonna say he sucks ( Cough brian hegge ) and I like Rob because of MKDS. ANd I threw MK in because hes got a sword and it might be a different style..

And the character, How do you practice? I play all day and it seems I got pretty good with Lucas, but hes not that great of a character. And I tend to switch a lot because of that reason then I get blamed for bandwagoning.

And not only just characters in general, but Brawl itself, I know I tried to get good at melee from that Advanced how to play videos, but that wasnt to long before brawl came out so I waited. But how do you practice to become good at brawl?

Sigh. here comes the flaming.

___

Ive been messing around with rob in training and find that he can meteor smash KO at 0%.. how wonderful :)

But his aerials are a little slow

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
Can't we have some intelligent discussion at least in the tactical discussion?

JasonLovesKelsey- Know matter what you say- you are trolling. Why would you come into a tier discussion thread and start complaining about how so called "tourny tards"? You may have more fun playing your way but there are a lot of people who prefer playing without items on neutral levels.

Howabout I come into a thread talking about items and start saying "Items R 4 N00bs"! in large bold
font?

Please don't make a post just to get atention.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Maybe not 4chan stuff, but the people that go there extent to everything that concerns the internet and those who run it and lots of middle-class everything.

Killing everyone from there would probably cause a lot of pain, at least in America if not also Canada and Europe. Not to mention all the other chans.

JasonLovesKelsey

Smash Rookie
Can't we have some intelligent discussion at least in the tactical discussion?

JasonLovesKelsey- Know matter what you say- you are trolling. Why would you come into a tier discussion thread and start complaining about how so called "tourny tards"? You may have more fun playing your way but there are a lot of people who prefer playing without items on neutral levels.

Howabout I come into a thread talking about items and start saying "Items R 4 N00bs"! in large bold
font?

Please don't make a post just to get atention.
I assure that I made no such remark that was even close to "Tourney Tard" and that I did not mean to draw all this attention. All I wanted to do was throw in my 2 cents on 'Tiers'.

Now, please, let us get back on topic: I agree with Saxdude, I use Snake's dash attack quite often... Or use to anyway, until everyone could see it coming.

Veng

Smash Ace
Everyones flaming and ignoring my on topic discussioN! :(

I guess i might aswell say this too since you guys seem like you know everything:

Ive been playing as Lucas since it came out, but hes not that great and easily countered and hes got 1 projectile thats not that great.

I tried Meta Knight, but my friend said I just ended up spamming and not trying to combo, Id like to try GW and ROB, but first I need some help.

Out of MK, ROB, GW - which would you think be the best for me after a Lucas playing style? I mean I dont wanna just go because its high tier characters but, I forgot his name, KDJ? No, um, well some one in melee used Bowser, and they werent that great, because of that, but ( i heard ) they own in Brawl because of the character change. (Said from PCChris in a video on MLG.com )

So I wanna switch too one of those 3, not only becasue of high tier but, I can say for a fact owning people with GW would be funny, because a lot of first timers are gonna say he sucks ( Cough brian hegge ) and I like Rob because of MKDS. ANd I threw MK in because hes got a sword and it might be a different style..

And the character, How do you practice? I play all day and it seems I got pretty good with Lucas, but hes not that great of a character. And I tend to switch a lot because of that reason then I get blamed for bandwagoning.

And not only just characters in general, but Brawl itself, I know I tried to get good at melee from that Advanced how to play videos, but that wasnt to long before brawl came out so I waited. But how do you practice to become good at brawl?

Adapt

Smash Lord
*is proud to have stayed far away from 4chan*

let the shooting begin :)

meanwhile, back on topic....

I would say luigi is better currently, but I don't really see him gaining many new tactics (kinda like Ike)
People will learn to get past luigi's insane priority and abuse his poor speed. Mario i think has much more potential

itsover9000

Smash Rookie
hey i just got brawl and here is my friend code if anyone wants to add me

4596-9257-7275

please put ure friend code as well

Veng

Smash Ace
OMG dont make me raise the living hell. You guys have been off topic for 3 pages and ive been saying the same thing on topic for 4 and havent been answered..

fkacyan

Smash Hero
OMG dont make me raise the living hell. You guys have been off topic for 3 pages and ive been saying the same thing on topic for 4 and havent been answered..
Please stop assuming this thread is a venue for intelligent discussion.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
Please GTFO, not only out of this topic, but the Tactical disscussion board as well. Go back to General/Gamefaqs where you can find more of your kind.
LOL

Nigerian, this is funny. Oh man the Irony. You telling off a troll? Coming from a guy who comes to the Ike forums and brings back a dead thread that caused a **** storm earlier to state his opinion that has been established and no one really cares about.

Yah, real classy.

And nice generalization on the people on General. Way to make SWF a tighter community.

SilentFalcon

Smash Apprentice
First of all... Unless we find some AT's, Fox Sucks in Brawl!

Here's my two cents for the tier list...

Highest Tier
Marth
Wolf
Falco
Olimar
Squirtle
Diddy Kong
Toon Link
Mr. G&W

High-Mid Tier
Ike
Pit
Lucas
R.O.B.
Meta Knight
Snake
Wario
Jigglypuff
ZS Samus

Low-Mid Tier
Lucario
Ivysaur
Bowser
C. Falcon
Fox
Kirby
Ness
Pikachu
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Zelda
Yoshi

Lowest Tier
King Dedede
Sonic
Ganondorf
Sheik
Samus

Eh... Something like this. Of course subject to change as Tech's are found. Because In my mind, Falco recently jumped from Low Tier to Highest Tier with the discovery of his chain throw, and Light Pillaring...

SF

LOL

Nigerian, this is funny. Oh man the Irony. You telling off a troll? Coming from a guy who comes to the Ike forums and brings back a dead thread that caused a **** storm earlier to state his opinion that has been established and no one really cares about.

Yah, real classy.

And nice generalization on the people on General. Way to make SWF a tighter community.
OH SNAP YA GOT ME!

Too bad the difference is I didn't nesscessarily yell out this "TR4Q" crap, I actually explained myself in posting <_<. And when you think about, nobody really cares about anybody else's opinion when it varies as widely between the ones it did in that topic. I think Ike blows, I agreed (Altough not completely) with the TC and decided to post. What control do you or any other person have to stop me? I'm a madman I tell you, a madman.

P.S:You cannot honestly deny that the overall intelligence of most people on General is lacking >_>. Hell even some of the mods acknowledge it.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
OH SNAP YA GOT ME!

Too bad the difference is I didn't nesscessarily yell out this "TR4Q" crap, I actually explained myself in posting <_<.

You cannot honestly deny that the overall intelligence of most people on General is lacking >_>. Hell even some of the mods acknowledge it.
A post which wasn't needed. Honestly, you saw the damage the thread caused to the Ike forums earlier. Why bring up the thread again? We understand you don't like Ike (cookie for the reference), but honestly, most intelligent posters know Ike isn't going up the tier list at all, all your post did was agitate the idiots in the Ike forums, further killing it when there are good people who are trying to improve it. (Me and Kirk are writing an Ike 2v2 guide)

And yes, General may be less than stellar, but some of us go there to have fun and like to post there. No need to generalize us with people who troll and bring anger.

Anyways, back on topic.

Does anyone see Toon Link jumping back up to top or was it just a fad?

Browny

Smash Hater
snake below people?

squi... no stuff it. at least read the last 10 or so pages to get an idea of what the general consensus is on the extremes of the list before posting

@ above, i think pretty much EVERYONE will get that reference, unless of course youve never played brawl

itsover9000

Smash Rookie

4596-9257-7275

Nestec

Smash Ace
Lol, poor Veng. XD

Really though, this isn't the place for questions, but...If I can explain it right, a disjointed hitbox is a hitbox which consists of parts that pretty much don't make any sense. A hitbox that is actually larger, longer, or wider than it looks. (I think that's what it is...o.O?)

On-topic: I honestly think Toon Link should at least be somewhere in High Tier. I don't know much about his tourney results or match-ups, but I've heard that he isn't doing too hot in tournaments right now. However, he's got a strong camping game, quick attacks, and whatnot, to help his match-ups.

soni26447

Smash Rookie
i Know i am a noob but here is my tier list

Top:
Snake
MetaKnight
Mr. Game And Watch

High:

King Dedede
Marth
Rob
Falco
Pikachu
Toon Link
Fox
Donkey Kong
Wolf
Ice CLimbers
Wario

Middle:

Lucas
Kirby
Pit
Olimar
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Luigi
Ike
Pokemon Trainer

Low:

Ness
Link
Peach
Mario
Sheik
Sonic

Bottom:

Samus
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
No one heard me because the kid with no balls was spamming :(

___

Ive been messing around with rob in training and find that he can meteor smash KO at 0%.. how wonderful :)

But his aerials are a little slow
I suggest that you use ROB.
IMO, his play style is most like Lucas's from the characters listed. G&W is fun to play and is realy good, but is a very strange and unique character, and MK is just nothing like lucas's playing style
Also, Lucas is not that bad.Go to the Lucas forums and learn to do some of his Advanced techniques like wavebouncing.

You can main more than one character.

btw- Are talking about Gimpyfish? He's the most popular Bowser player
lol but he doesn't own in Brawl- hes having a rather hard time adjusting to the new Bowser.

KDJ was a top Melee pro who used Fox. :)

AgentAO

Smash Journeyman
To truly answer Veng on disjointed hitboxes, according to the smash wiki:

Smashwiki said:
Disjointed hitbox describes an attacking red collision bubble that is not attached to the vulnerable yellow bubble. These are generally found on weapons, like swords or hammers. A disjointed hitbox, if attacked, cannot hurt the character. For example, If Marth attacks Ness's PK Fire with his forward smash, Marth will not be affected. However, if Mario punches the PK Fire, he will sustain damage.
http://super-smash-bros.wikia.com/wiki/Disjointed_hitbox

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
All tiers bring is despair for the players who main the 'lower tier' characters.
I hate to bring this post up again, but this is actually one of the commonly misunderstood concepts of a tier list. You can usually find me here on the tier discussion, but seriously... I'm a Yoshi user. I take pride in the fact that I can take down a higher tier character with one that is generally assumed to suck.

And as for trolling... I'd like to see the posters in this room take their own advice.... that includes me. Whenever a person comes in shouting about queers and tiers, people tell them to go somewhere else if they don't want to contribute to the discussion. This should be said by one person and one person only, and then the posters should simply ignore the person who isn't adding to the thread until they either leave or start adding to the topic. Problem solved, and everyone's happy...

Anyway, to address a guy who's been mostly ignored in this fiasco:

@ Veng: I do think that your reasons for switching from Lucas are pretty off... I switched from him not because I thought he was bad (he isn't) but just because I enjoyed other characters more. But if you truly do want to switch, I would suggest testing out each of the three you would like to switch to for, eh, about a week or so. Whichever character you like the most at the end of the week is which character you can switch to. And to practice.... just play your friends or even CPUs over and over. But keep in mind that what works for CPU's won't always work for people.
And to become good at Brawl......... well, that's the mystery, isn't it? :)
No one's really good at Brawl yet. But to become good as compared to everyone else, you have to be willing to put in the time to achieve it.

Sorry for wall of text, but maybe we can get things back to normal in here now, eh?

Veng

Smash Ace
I suggest that you use ROB.
IMO, his play style is most like Lucas's from the characters listed. G&W is fun to play and is realy good, but is a very strange and unique character, and MK is just nothing like lucas's playing style
Also, Lucas is not that bad.Go to the Lucas forums and learn to do some of his Advanced techniques like wavebouncing.

You can main more than one character.

btw- Are talking about Gimpyfish? He's the most popular Bowser player
lol but he doesn't own in Brawl- hes having a rather hard time adjusting to the new Bowser.

KDJ was a top Melee pro who used Fox. :)
Yea, Gimpyfish, I heard he switched, but I guess not.

I can wavebounce and do all lucas's techs but i just dont think hes very good.. Hes lost in a lot of tourneys too.

A character I would like to get good with is Marth but I dont think I could do it :\

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Veng, a disjointed hitbox is a move where the attack isn't attached to the char ( a sword, in the case of marth, in the case of G&W, he has his box, turtle, etc. Disjointed hitboxes make it hard to counter, and go through attacks wit hequal range that aren't disjointed.

I'm sorry, but G&W is beastly

re: TR4Q's guy. He says he ame here to learn about tiers, but his Original post kinda disagrees with him XD

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
To people new to competitive smash yes tiers cause all kind of despair. Just look around you should be able to find tons of people angry with the tier spot their character gets. What do they do? Debate with all their might that their character isn't bad, say they are going to win tournament after tournament using said character, or they are just going to look up and find a few good people who do well with said character as proof of their character's greatness.

I think people also need to realize that tiers don't really affect casual play. I am sure there are tiers for that kind of play but we don't dwell on them we just think of the competitive scene.

I am getting a lot of flak on another site about how Captain Falcon is awful. I was thinking about linking the Captain Falcon thread I saw.

Fox isn't bad he just isn't as good as he used to be. I still enjoy picking him up from time to time.

Some of us aren't tier obsessed. We choose characters we like rather than the best on the tier list. Some of us have been playing our current main since smash 64. I just got lucky and found that playing as ROB, olimar, Toon Link, Diddy, Pit, and Marth are all incredibly fun to play as.

It is not like tiers are the end all. Matchups play a role. Most importantly skill plays the largest role. Good players can win with bad characters. I think it is a good challenge for a player to use a low tier and win a tournament with them.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^^ yeah, I've loved G&W since seeing dire at a cataclysm, and so I picked him up in brawl. I loved 64 pika, so I use him...

I can't hlp that I'm gifted and picking good chars XP

itsover9000

Smash Rookie

4596-9257-7275

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom