• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
Rehab- Ike is very slow, has a very gimpable recovery, and like you said lacks horizontal recovery. he also isnt winning that many tournaments compared to other characters.

JrdnS

Smash Ace
Personaly i don't think that brawl has tires, everyone has quick attacks, powerful attacks, and with all of the tactics (spelling) everything evens out. Just my oppinion :)
brawl doesnt have tires? then just how do you think wario rides his motorcycle. :confused:

seriously though, by saying this are you implying that snakes winning tournaments all over the country has nothing to do with him being top tier. and also you think captain falcon and ganon are on the same level as metaknight and snake.

heres a hint never say brawl doesnt have tiers again

Darth_Sententia

Smash Rookie
people here are underestimating ZSS and the whole Ike situation is bouncy.

ike slow and easily gimped, but hes also heavy, powerful, and his swords has amazing range.i personnally aont think hes high tier, but easily mid.

P.S. did i mention his dtilt is insane!?!

Emperor Time

Smash Lord
people here are underestimating ZSS and the whole Ike situation is bouncy.

ike slow and easily gimped, but hes also heavy, powerful, and his swords has amazing range.i personnally aont think hes high tier, but easily mid.

But aren't u ignoring the factors that make him so bad? Ike is VERY predicatable, his powerful attacks can't hit for douche, and he thinks he's strong because he fights for his friends. There are plently of characters that outdo Ike in many areas. High tier? Hell no. Easily mid? Low mid, maybe.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Ike is great if you've just begun playing the game, but people who have played the game for extended amounts of time should have no problem fighting him, since he has so few ways of attacking and all of his attacks are slow enough to be dodged and punished. He's far too predictable and is a perfect example of how poor a character can be when they aren't well-balanced.
Low tier.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it

Ike shouldn't be easily gimped. He can airdodge and you don't have to be stupid and use QD all the time.

Also, his dtilt is a horrible move which you shouldn't use against anyone who can sweetspot.

Ike fits mid tier atm, imo. If Brawls metagame was to involve more changes are he could get lower, as he hasn't got much options. That being said, I see way better Ike players these days, that abuse the correct stuff, like jab cancel > grab.

I don't think he'll fall to low tier easily, he doesn't have any great match-ups but only very few terrible match-ups either.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Empy: it is easily gimped--either you can just grab the edge, or he's high enough to knock out of the attack on the way down. Also, you can roll-edgegrab if he's high enough to just dodge through the attack.

He can't really side B safely unless he's way above, as you can jump out and gimp him.

Also, so many chars have good enough aerial games to chase him off the stage--as he falls fast, making him airdodge leads to him falling too far and being unable to recover.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Recovery really is a problem... he can usually be attacked before he grabs the ledge with sideB, and he will usually fall too far for upB to work. Also, he suffers from footstools almost as much as Yoshi.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Whoa, I just started playing ZSS and she's way underrated. Not going into detail but I will say that she has the most awsome combo in the game: dash attack, D-tilt, U-air, Up-B, D-smash, B-side, pwnage

Corigames

Smash Hero
Whoa, I just started playing ZSS and she's way underrated. Not going into detail but I will say that she has the most awsome combo in the game: dash attack, D-tilt, U-air, Up-B, D-smash, B-side, pwnage
So, I'm guessing no one you know or seen can hit the R button? If they did, they could dodge part way through the attacks, tech one of the Up B hits, or shield part of it.

R Button. that's all.

Adapt

Smash Lord
i love as ZSS when ppl air-dodge my up-B and then get hit by another uair as soon as they come out of the air-dodge

ZSS would be much better in melee i think, so much combo potential destroyed by the **** airdodges and low hitstun. oh well, she's still fun to play

Tien2500

Smash Lord
I think ZSS is a solid mid tier character. She has great speed reasonably quick attacks and has a few attacks with great range (namely her whips) that can keep an opponent at bay. She's also protected from most attacks above her which is nice. And she has a decently useful projectile. But she does have some problems. KOing can be difficult. Her forward B is her best option but its necessary as a damage dealer/spacing tool so by the time your opponent is high enough it will likely be diminished. Her fair and bair can do the job but can be hard to hit with. Up air and Down B are good finishers but are easily seen coming. Of course thats not to say that Zamus has *bad* KO potential. Simply below average.

She also has a high short hop which makes her aerials useless as approaches. Her grab is laggy as hell if missed and Zamus can't really do anything to an opponent thats below her except for her dair which can be punished easily.

None of those weaknesses are particularly devastating but none of her strengths are really overwhelming. So ZSS goes in the middle.

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
i love as ZSS when ppl air-dodge my up-B and then get hit by another uair as soon as they come out of the air-dodge

ZSS would be much better in melee i think, so much combo potential destroyed by the **** airdodges and low hitstun. oh well, she's still fun to play
Captain Falcon Agrees.

Http

Smash Cadet
Ugh. I hate myself for doing this, but I made a tier list. I'm very iffy on my own tier list, but I've also taken the general consensus of this thread, and also slightly taken account the Character Ranking List (which would explain Wario's slightly higher positioning among other things).

I think it's ok, but my Upper Tier in particular would be the most iffy IMO.

Top Tier:

Snake
Meta Knight

High Tier:

Mr. Game and Watch
Marth
King Dedede
Falco
R.O.B.

Upper Tier:

Wario
Pikachu
Toon Link
Wolf
Ice Climbers
Zelda
Donkey Kong

Middle Tier:

Diddy Kong
Olimar
Fox
Kirby
Pit
Zero Suit Samus
Lucario
Luigi
Lucas
Bowser
Ike

Low Tier:

Ness
Peach
Mario
Sheik
Sonic
Pokémon Trainer
Yoshi

Bottom Tier:

Link
Jigglypuff
Samus
Gannondorf
Captain Falcon

Commence destroying my list. =D

soni26447

Smash Rookie
i Know i am a noob but here is my tier list

Top:
Snake
MetaKnight
Mr. Game And Watch

High:

King Dedede
Marth
Rob
Falco
Pikachu
Toon Link
Fox
Donkey Kong
Wolf
Ice CLimbers
Wario

Middle:

Lucas
Kirby
Pit
Olimar
Diddy Kong
Lucario
Zero Suit Samus
Zelda
Luigi
Ike
Pokemon Trainer

Low:

Ness
Link
Bowser
Peach
Mario
Sheik
Sonic

Bottom:

Samus
Yoshi
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Http-Yeeeeerrrgg It's alright. I'd place Olimar(better tourney results. great matchups and potential. Some new ATs have arisen for him) just below IC and Zelda(not very good placings, overrated IMO, good matchups) just above fox. wow, well I guess I'd just switch their places. I'd say that Lucario is a little higher(good placings, look at the updated rankings chart) and bowser(with his horrible matchups and placings) needs to drop to low tier.

Http

Smash Cadet
Http-Yeeeeerrrgg It's alright. I'd place Olimar(better tourney results. great matchups and potential. Some new ATs have arisen for him) just below IC and Zelda(not very good placings, overrated IMO, good matchups) just above fox. wow, well I guess I'd just switch their places. I'd say that Lucario is a little higher(good placings, look at the updated rankings chart) and bowser(with his horrible matchups and placings) needs to drop to low tier.
I consider that a win (to my morals) >_>.

I agree with Olimar. I forgot him initially when I was making it, so I kinda winged it there. Not too sure about Zelda, but I don't think Fox would be that high.

Also agree with Lucario and Bowser (but to a lesser extent)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
So who wins tier wise: Mario v Ness
Mario does. He definitely has better matchups and I am assuming he has better tournament results, although I may be wrong.

viparagon

Smash Ace
My tier list

Okay, this is my first post so I don't want it to be that bad bad. Here's my tier list.

Top tier

Snake (broken)
Mk (almost as broken, possibly more)
g&w

High

ROB (controversial)
falco (chaingrab dair
Pika
ICs
Dedede (too easily comboed to be higher. I predict scores go down)
olimar (beat even snake at camping, can approach well too.
Marth (slightly overated, bad tourney performance)
Wario
T link
Pit (Designed in every possible way to be OBnoxious)
Fox ( WTF...again foxy is stronger in the air, Faster on the ground, and has a better gun IMO than wolf)
Kirby
big Dk

mid

wolf
lucario
Ness (WTF?? I think ness is underrated. Just b/c marth can chaingrab him doesn't make him low tier. DK is high, yet he's chained by ddd)
Zamus (Dsmash = awsome)
Zelda (weak aerial game makes up with great smashes, good tilts, and of course D fire
Lucas ( No combo ability compared to ness, less priorty, worse grab)
Bowser. (side b Fire breath. Shield to fortress0
Mario ("mario Doesn't excell at anything" wrong. Mario is the master edge guarder for already explained reasons)
Luigi (is superior in the air to mario of course, But he lacks marios gaurding skillz and improved ground game.

Low

Ike
Sonic
shiek Extremely weak compared to melee

JrdnS

Smash Ace
Okay, this is my first post so I don't want it to be that bad bad. Here's my tier list.

Top tier

Snake (broken)
Mk (almost as broken, possibly more)
g&w

High

ROB (controversial)
falco (chaingrab dair
Pika
ICs
Dedede (too easily comboed to be higher. I predict scores go down)
olimar (beat even snake at camping, can approach well too.
Marth (slightly overated, bad tourney performance)
Wario
T link
Pit (Designed in every possible way to be OBnoxious)
Fox ( WTF...again foxy is stronger in the air, Faster on the ground, and has a better gun IMO than wolf)
Kirby
big Dk

mid

wolf
lucario
Ness (WTF?? I think ness is underrated. Just b/c marth can chaingrab him doesn't make him low tier. DK is high, yet he's chained by ddd)
Zamus (Dsmash = awsome)
Zelda (weak aerial game makes up with great smashes, good tilts, and of course D fire
Lucas ( No combo ability compared to ness, less priorty, worse grab)
Bowser. (side b Fire breath. Shield to fortress0
Mario ("mario Doesn't excell at anything" wrong. Mario is the master edge guarder for already explained reasons)
Luigi (is superior in the air to mario of course, But he lacks marios gaurding skillz and improved ground game.

Low

Ike
Sonic
shiek Extremely weak compared to melee
what a great list youre only missing half the people.

chckn

Smash Ace
This thread will go on for another three or four hundred pages with absolutely no progress if people just keep posting their own random tier lists with no support whatsoever. I remember hizzlum had posted a list that myself and many others believe to be the most accurate. We should go back to this list and make changes as needed. If not this thread will just continue to be full of trolls and inexperienced posters without enough exposure to truly determine the placement of characters.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
First post and it is a tier list.... oh boy.
Now now, one of my earlier post was a tier list, and it wasn't so bad. Not every n00b post dump stuff.

This thread will go on until the SBR comes out with their tier list and then discussion and flamewars will ensue as Falcon, Sonic, yoshi, jigglypuff, and Gannon mains try to convince the SBR that their character deserves a higher spot and is not the worst.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Now now, one of my earlier post was a tier list, and it wasn't so bad. Not every n00b post dump stuff.
Yeah, but you don't see me walk onto the scene of a construction site and tell everyone the best way to build the building. I mean, I've been in a lot of buildings in my time, I obviously know which are the best!

When you are new here, you shouldn't be telling, you should be hearing.

chckn

Smash Ace
Yeah, but you don't see me walk onto the scene of a construction site and tell everyone the best way to build the building. I mean, I've been in a lot of buildings in my time, I obviously know which are the best!

correct, now can we please create a somewhat organized as well as agreed upon list so that we can end this mindless babel

Corigames

Smash Hero
Easy...

God:
Snake
Metaknight

Lower than God:
Everyone else

Everyone can agree on that. You won't get much more agreement than that though. After that, it gets fuzzy from person to person.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord

I think of a tier list construction more of like a person who wants to design their own home. They do the research draw up the plans and then present them. If they did a good job of designing it then the contractors will take it as is and build it for them. If not then they will either get a crappy house or the contractors will offer Strong suggestions as to how to fix it.

A lot of us are doing are research, lurking around the boards, experimenting with things, watching videos, and visiting tournaments, in order to work on constructing a tier list. Then we present what we have accomplished. If it looks alright then people will agree with it or maybe make some minor suggestions. If it turns out poorly then everyone jokes about it or people harshly point out your flaws.

This thread will go on until the SBR comes out with their tier list and then discussion and flamewars will ensue as Falcon, Sonic, yoshi, jigglypuff, and Gannon mains try to convince the SBR that their character deserves a higher spot and is not the worst.
OH god....it's already bad now....imagine the whining when the actual list comes out.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom