• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dprim3

Smash Rookie
I think Wolf and Olimar should trade with Wario and Falco on that last list.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
She suffers from "tether-stigma", which really isn't fair, she's got a third jump and her recovery options aren't anywhere near as limited as say, Ivysaur.
Or Olimar, but you see people putting him in high tier.
ZSS is good stuff.

I think Wolf and Olimar should trade with Wario and Falco on that last list.
:laugh: Ohhh, thank you. I needed to hear something hilariously stupid.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
ZSS is good stuff.
Well, Olimar seems to have more fanboys, which is slightly ironic.

Still, ZSS's recovery is nowhere near as hobbled by ledgehogging then Olimar's, so it should be taken into account with her other advantages/disadvantages.

And people need to win more tournies with her.

Snail

Smash Lord
ZSS is good stuff.

:laugh: Ohhh, thank you. I needed to hear something hilariously stupid.
Uh, Olimar suffers from Tether-stigma too; Just look at that funny person putting him in lower-mid some pages back.

Either way, ZSS doesn't belong anywhere below mid tier in my opinion :D

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Uh, Olimar suffers from Tether-stigma too; Just look at that funny person putting him in lower-mid some pages back.

Either way, ZSS doesn't belong anywhere below mid tier in my opinion :D
Zero Suit Samus probably is mid-tier, but in a game as unbalanced as Brawl, mid-tier means 'have fun losing.'

Adapt

Smash Lord
I really like this list. The only thing you might reconsider is Zelda's placement. Though she doesn't have the tourney results, you gave Toon Link and Pikachu the benefit of the doubt, so you should probably give it to her too. I could see her right above Kirby, and maybe move Fox to the top of the Lower tier.

Also, I'm sure you'll get some hate for the low placement of Ike. I think switching him with Mario might be an option, but I'm really unsure.
I did kinda give Zelda a boost, though not as much as TL and Pika, who I personally think are stronger (though not enough to get out of mid for sure)
I guess I could move Zelda up, or TL and Pika down, I'm really not sure as of yet

EDIT: I remember why I put TL and Pika in upper-mid tier: they each have a win on Ankoku's list. Zelda doesn't

Imo Ike can stay where he is. Here's how I see Ike: he will f*ck you up if you screw up. If you don't screw up... hes f*cked

On to ZSS: she's a tough character to call... She looks like she should be high tier: she has many good qualities... but none are truly great, and that's what sets her back to a probable mid position. She can definitely win, but she has a few matchups against the higher tiers that make it difficult.

What she really needs is more people to main her

vanderzant

Smash Journeyman
There should be no stigma for playing high tier characters. Unless you play them badly, then shame on you...

Lets turn this back to tier discussion by posting a tier list to play with

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Pikachu, TL, Kirby, Fox
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Ganon, Samus, Link
Bottom: Jiggs, Yoshi, CF

this was created 1/2 on tourney rankings, 1/2 on opinion, and 1/2 on discussion in this topic (in that order)
I like the order of the list, I like it alot. The only thing I disagree with is that Snake/MK are a whole tier above GW/DDD. And the bottom 3 tiers should probably be "evened out" so to speak, e.g. I agree Ganon and Link are above Jiggs, but not by much (I would place them at the top of bottom tier)

On the whole though an excellent list!

Amide

Smash Lord
There should be no stigma for playing high tier characters. Unless you play them badly, then shame on you...

Lets turn this back to tier discussion by posting a tier list to play with

Top: Snake, MK
High: DDD, GaW, Marth, Falco, ROB, Wario
Upper: Lucario, Olimar, DK, Wolf, Pit, ICs, Pikachu, TL, Kirby, Fox
Lower: Diddy, ZSS, Zelda, Luigi, Ness, Sonic, Peach, Sheik, Mario, Lucas
Low: Ike, PT, Bowser, Ganon, Samus, Link
Bottom: Jiggs, Yoshi, CF

this was created 1/2 on tourney rankings, 1/2 on opinion, and 1/2 on discussion in this topic (in that order)

Nice list. But...

TL is really good, but he doesn't have results to show it, I think he needs to be lowered. Also, Ike>PT? I guess Ike is more popular, but that doesn't make sense for me. Also, you put Sonic a little high.

powell651234

Smash Apprentice
Zero Suit Samus probably is mid-tier, but in a game as unbalanced as Brawl, mid-tier means 'have fun losing.'
I disagree greatly.

Two players of equal skill should give a slight edge to a character in top/high tier over mid tier.

Meaning, the high/top would win 55-60% of the time...thats what I think anyway.

And if the player is even slightly better with their mid tier character, they should have the edge.

On to ZSS again...I think the reason she is overlooked, is simply because she is not a character that appears on the selection screen. She is too coupled with Samus because of this, and Samus has quickly earned a reputation as one of the worst characters in brawl(another accusation that might be a bit harsh).

CyanCyde

Smash Cadet
Now that I've actually got a couple hours sleep and a decent breakfast in my belly, I noticed that Diddy's lower-mid in Adapt's list. What makes him worse than Kirby and DK? I don't play Diddy, so I'm definitely not very knowledgeable, but I keep hearing about how good his bananas are from those who do.

Adapt

Smash Lord
Now that I've actually got a couple hours sleep and a decent breakfast in my belly, I noticed that Diddy's lower-mid in Adapt's list. What makes him worse than Kirby and DK? I don't play Diddy, so I'm definitely not very knowledgeable, but I keep hearing about how good his bananas are from those who do.
Tourney wins (to put my reasoning in 2 words)

Incidentally it was the factor that caused me to put Pika and TL in the upper mid tier rather than lower mid. They have wins on Ankoku's list, whereas Zelda/Diddy don't.

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
these r my suggestions
*not put in order of ranking but just order i could think and PKMN Trainer is separated into 3

- Snake
- Meta Knight
- Marth
High
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pit
- Falco
- Luigi
- King Dedede
- R.O.B
Mid
- Pikachu
- Toon Link
- Wolf
- Ike
- Lucario
- Olimar
- Mario
- Diddy Kong
- Fox
- Shiek
- Zelda
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Squirtle
- Charizard
- Zero Suit Samus
- Samus
- Peach
Low
- Link
- Ganondorf
- Kirby
- Captain Falcon
- DK
- Sonic
Bottom
- Yoshi
- Bowser
- Ivysaur

these r my thoughts please be free to tell me any little things that look bad

Thanks,

cutter

Smash Champion
these r my suggestions
*not put in order of ranking but just order i could think and PKMN Trainer is separated into 3

- Snake
- Meta Knight
- Marth
High
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pit
- Falco
- Luigi
- King Dedede
- R.O.B
Mid
- Pikachu
- Toon Link
- Wolf
- Ike
- Lucario
- Olimar
- Mario
- Diddy Kong
- Fox
- Shiek
- Zelda
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Squirtle
- Charizard
- Zero Suit Samus
- Samus
- Peach
Low
- Link
- Ganondorf
- Kirby
- Captain Falcon
- DK
- Sonic
Bottom
- Yoshi
- Bowser
- Ivysaur

Thanks,
Why is Marth top tier?

boss8

Smash Hero
mario should be above ROB.......but its whatever no one will stop with whatever character they stick with this tier thing is just a popularity contest of gayness.......this proves....

TIERS ARE TRULY FOR QUEERS!!
Atleast i knoe my mario is top tier!!

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
these r my suggestions

- Snake
- Meta Knight
- Marth
High
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pit
- Falco
- Luigi
- King Dedede
- R.O.B
Mid
- Pikachu
- Toon Link
- Wolf
- Ike
- Lucario
- Olimar
- Mario
- Diddy Kong
- Fox
- Shiek
- Zelda
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Squirtle
- Charizard
- Zero Suit Samus
- Samus
- Peach
Low
- Link
- Ganondorf
- Kirby
- Captain Falcon
- DK
- Sonic
Bottom
- Yoshi
- Bowser
- Ivysaur

Thanks,
Here's what you did right:

-Snake
-Metaknight

Here's what you did wrong:

{the rest of the list}

Here is a non-exhaustive list of things I've noticed:

1. DK is nowhere near low tier. Neither is Kirby.
2. Pit isn't that good. Neither is Ike, Jigglypuff, Mario, or Luigi.
3. Sonic isn't that bad. Any list that puts him almost at the bottom = fail.
4. Lucas and Ness shouldn't be in consecutive spots. Same with Zelda and Sheik, Samus and Zero Suit Samus.
5. Pokemon trainer should also be listed together seeing as you are forced by the game to play as at least 2 of them. You can rank where they are separately too, but they need to also be on the list somewhere together.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
^Yeah,why is DK so low?Hes a beast and he has even(possibly good) matchups with Snake and Meta.
Its a big mistake to put DK in low tier.

Oracle

Smash Master
these r my suggestions

- Snake
- Meta Knight
- Marth
High
- Wario
- Mr. Game & Watch
- Pit
- Falco
- Luigi
- King Dedede
- R.O.B
Mid
- Pikachu
- Toon Link
- Wolf
- Ike
- Lucario
- Olimar
- Mario
- Diddy Kong
- Fox
- Shiek
- Zelda
- Ice Climbers
- Lucas
- Ness
- Jigglypuff
- Squirtle
- Charizard
- Zero Suit Samus
- Samus
- Peach
Low
- Link
- Ganondorf
- Kirby
- Captain Falcon
- DK
- Sonic
Bottom
- Yoshi
- Bowser
- Ivysaur

Thanks,

There are so many problems with that list I'm not even going to try to explain them.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
That last list is the biggest fan-boy piece-o-craaap. Pit is only doing as "good" as he is now because of the hype that existed to get good as him at the beginning of the game. Once the tiers(which I don't agree with now) level off, I expect pit to move lower and Mario to become high tier. My two mains are Mario and PT and they are among the more difficult characters to perfect (some people think PT is the hardest character in the game to master). At this stage in Brawl's existence, no tier list will be completely valid because of the game's immaturity.

mario should be above ROB.......but its whatever no one will stop with whatever character they stick with this tier thing is just a popularity contest of gayness.......this proves....

**** Boss......why exactly do you do this? Someone as good as you truly cannot mean this <_<.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

Whatever you say, Boss.

Now, contribute to the discussion or just GTFO. We don't really care how good you were in Melee (huh?) or how good you are now in Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

Anyways, this is my newer list I made from yesterday, with Current ranking from ankoku's list next to them.
Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <5>

Very High Tier:
Marth <4>
Falco <9>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <8>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <16>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <20>
Wolf <12>
Lucario <6>
Zelda <24>
Fox <13>
Donkey Kong <11>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<14>
Diddy Kong <19>
Kirby <15>
Luigi <22>
Lucas <31>
Ness <18>
ZSS <25>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <17>
Mario <34>
Pokemon Trainer <30>
Bowser <27>
Sheik <35>
Ganondorf <33>
Sonic <32>

Bottom Tier:
Link <36>
Samus <26>
Jigglypuff <29>
Yoshi <Unranked>
Captain Falcon <23> (**** you Roy_R >_>)

chckn

Smash Ace
Anyways, this is my newer list I made from yesterday, with Current ranking from ankoku's list next to them.
Top Tier:
Snake <1>
Meta Knight <2>
Mr. Game and Watch <5>

Very High Tier:
Marth <4>
Falco <9>
R.O.B.<7>
King Dedede <3>
Wario <8>
Olimar <10>

High Tier:
Pit <16>
Pikachu <21>
Toon Link <20>
Wolf <12>
Lucario <6>
Zelda <24>
Fox <13>
Donkey Kong <11>

Mid Tier:
Ice Climbers<14>
Diddy Kong <19>
Kirby <15>
Luigi <22>
Lucas <31>
Ness <18>
ZSS <25>

Low tier :
Ike <28>
Peach <17>
Mario <34>
Pokemon Trainer <30>
Bowser <27>
Sheik <35>
Ganondorf <33>
Sonic <32>

Bottom Tier:
Link <36>
Samus <26>
Jigglypuff <29>
Yoshi <Unranked>
Captain Falcon <23> (**** you Roy_R >_>)

the order is just about perfect. only thing that I disagree with is the amount of characters placed in each category. You have 17 characters above mid tier and 10 characters in the divisions under. This really doesnt make any sense. Make the mid tier larger? disregard my post? The choice is up to you sir.

*edit* also DK is too low

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
IMO, you shouldn't order a Tier Lists's tiers so that everything is balanced, as in Mid tier would be the average chars. it should be wherever they fit, so if lets say there's 25 chars above mid, 5 ini mid, and 10 below mid, then that shows that most of the chars in Brawl are good, while only 10 aren't. moving the mid tier up in this case, would have the good chars be in mid tier or below that, which would mean that they're aren't good.

for another example, look at melee's tier list. All the chars in Mid tier were actually like above the midpoint, because they were all good.

chckn

Smash Ace
IMO, you shouldn't order a Tier Lists's tiers so that everything is balanced, as in Mid tier would be the average chars. it should be wherever they fit, so if lets say there's 25 chars above mid, 5 ini mid, and 10 below mid, then that shows that most of the chars in Brawl are good, while only 10 aren't. moving the mid tier up in this case, would have the good chars be in mid tier or below that, which would mean that they're aren't good.

for another example, look at melee's tier list. All the chars in Mid tier were actually like above the midpoint, because they were all good.
that doesnt make any sense whatsoever. You cannot have 30 characters that are all the best in top tier and then five in low tier. Even though the gaps in how good the characters are may not be evenly spread out you still need to take into consideration that some characters need to be mid tier lol.

bigman40

Smash Master
Being sarcastic on SWF fails cause everyone here is ignorant, or people jump to conclusions before they really understand anything. You take a guess. Actually, my answers to that question are pages back on this thread.

If it offends you to hear me say something like that, then sry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom