• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Brawl Tier Discussion (OP Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowstalker

Smash Ace
TOP:

Snake
Meta Knight
Mr. Game & Watch
Marth
Falco
R.O.B

HIGH:

King Dedede
Captian Olimar
Toon Link
Wario
Ice Climbers
Pikachu
Wolf
Donkey Kong
Kirby
Pit

MIDDLE:

Zelda
Lucario
Fox
Diddy Kong
Lucas
Luigi
Zero Suit Samus
Bowser
Mario
Ness

LOW:

Peach
Yoshi
Pokemon Trainer
Shiek
Ike
Sonic
Link

BOTTOM:

Samus
Ganondorf
Jigglypuff
Captian Falcon

I moved down Yoshi. Although I think that he's better than characters like Ganondorf and Link, he won't move up to mid for a while, but he can. The other positions are rather obvious.

Shök

Smash Champion
CHUONG'S SSBB TIER LIST 1.1

Tier 1
Snake (1)
Meta Knight (2)

Tier 2
Mr. Game & Watch (3)
Marth (4)
R.O.B. (5)
King DeDeDe (6)
Falco (7)
Wario (8)

Tier 3
Pikmin & Olimar (9)
Pit (10)
Wolf (11)
Toon Link (12)
Zelda (13)
Ice Climbers (14)

Tier 4
Pikachu (15)
Lucario (16)
Fox (17)
Donkey Kong (18)
Kirby (19)

Tier 5
Zero Suit Samus (20)
Diddy Kong (21)
Lucas (22)
Ness (23)

Tier 6
Sonic (24)
Luigi (25)
Ike (26)
Peach (27)
Samus (28)

Tier 7
Link (29)
Sheik/Zelda (30)
Pokémon Trainer (31)
Mario (32)
Bowser (33)
Jigglypuff (34)
Sheik (35)

Tier 8
Yoshi (36)
Ganondorf (37)
Captain Falcon (38)

----------

Version 1.0 (July 16, 2008)
Created Rough Tier List Based On My Thoughts

Version 1.1 (July 17, 2008)
Switched Falco And King DeDeDe (Previous: 6, 7)
Switched Pikachu And Ice Climbers (Previous: 14, 15)
Switched Fox And Lucario (Previous: 16, 17)
Switched Bowser And Mario (Previous: 32, 33)
Switched Captain Falcon And Ganondorf (Previous: 37, 38)
Switched Ness And Lucas (Previous: 22, 23)

----------

Opinions appreciated. Still pretty rough.

Not bad,

Lucas=Tier 7
CF=Higher
He's only the worst because we want him to be.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Yet another noob tier list by me.

Top:
MK ( sorry, his speed and range [though not individually great] give him high priority with almost all moves.)

High:
Snake ( most certainly inferior to MK. Once off the edge, he's quite the sitting duck. Also, I've never seen good Snake players who didn't generally play extremely similar to the majority of the group.)Snake is top

ROB ( what bad matchups does he really have? He probably has more realistic combo options than any other character. Plus, his recovery is spectacular.)

Falco ( doesn't seem unreasonable.)

G&W (nor here either)

Dedede (or here)

Kirby ( seems to be heavier than in Melee, is a comparitively faster character than in Melee, and can combo people to hell when off stage.)Umm... i don't really know how to put this, but KIRBY ISN'T HIGH TIER YOU SCRUB!

Wario ( What moves does he have that cause lag?)

Lucario ( I think he's phenomenal. Just don't see any weakness.)He's good not this high..,

Pit ( I don't think any great player who camps with him will lose.)

Mid-high: Mario ( Has an inherently GREAT metagame. He's almost as comparitively good as he was in 64.)

Diddy ( doesn't he extremely high priority? Also, if you slip on bananas, you're screwed.)

Olimar ( seems reasonable)

Wolf ( Hate him, but his smash spamming is very fast and covers a lot of area.)

Marth ( was a toss-up with Wolf, but Marth's uber lag issues provoked Wolf to be higher)I might be biased as a Marth main, but I thikn almost everyone can agree that Marth is high tier so GO AWAY YOU N00BCAKE!

Pikachu ( mind games are as bad*** as they were in 64. I know up B is expected, but it comes out fast and is hard to avoid out of any attack that sends them up vertically without any lag afterwards. Plus, bair is sick.)

Lucas ( seems reasonable)Oh no it doesn't, Lucas down a tier.

Toon Link ( seems reasonable)

Climbers (seems reasonable)

Zelda ( seems reasonable)Down a tier

Low-Middle:

DK ( seems reasonable)

Peach ( combo city)Peach FTL

Ness ( think he'll be higher eventually, just takes a lot of work to win with him)

PT ( seems reasonable)

Fox ( I don't think he's very good, honestly. Game physics screwed him over completely.)

Bowser ( seems reasonable)

Luigi ( seems reasonable)

Ike ( seems reasonable)

Shiek ( dang. Couldn't have been more nerfed. Still uber quick, though.)

Low:
Yoshi ( right where he SHOULD be)

ZSS ( seems reasonable)Up a tier

Link ( seems reasonable)

Sonic ( seems reasonable)

Falcon ( seems reasonable)Down a tier.

Jigglypuff ( seems reasonable)

Bottom:
Samus ( I love using her, but she really can't kill at ALL until near 100 percent.)
Ganondorf ( just utterly horrible in every way.)

I have to clock in now.
You don't know what you are talking about, comments in red.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
*is owned*

Jumpman, by saying yoshi is low high tier, u obviously posses no knowledge of him, or the other characters in the game.
No, I said the high end of low tier, not high tier. Anyways, I still think Yoshi deserves low-mid tier.

DethSmasher

Smash Cadet
yoshi isnt better than link or pokemon trainer or jiglypuff. the only charactres that are comparable with yoshi are captain ans ganon and samus. even with those they are all a tos up and no one cares because who cares, they all still suck.

Mmac

Smash Lord
Sigh indeed, I hate doing this every month too

He has nothing afterward, which severely GIMPS his recovery after that. You can't do as much as another character can. Try again.
You know, I hardly get gimped. Yoshi is the only one (If you consider his DJ as his Recovery... Which probably most people here don't) Who can Airdodge during his recovery

No, he really does have a good Aerial game

The draconic *** grind is not a WD. It has even found an applicable use in fights yet.
Your just upset because Yosi is the only one who can WD.

And slow, for maximum efficiency.
Usmash and Dsmash are slow? I beg to differ.

That is super slow, just so the punishment is assured.
PIVOT GRABS! DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THEM!?!

That obviously broke down somewhere between N64 and now.
Not true. He can combo and quite well

Having a fetish for cartoon dinosaurs does not make you cool.
And Samus does?

LOL, it's false. They are slow, don't do a lot, leave you open. You could have at least argued they help air movement.
LOL, Misconception. They're mostly use as a Counter-Spam, Anti-Air, Edgeguarding, or to put a pressure game on Camping/Defencive opponents

To show off just how gay he is.
Yeah, Yoshi is pretty happy most of the time.

If the person let's it. And I mean, seriously, lets it happen.
Honestly, I don't see the big thing in Dairs. They can work, but I think his Bair works much better. He can gimp extreamly well though. 2 Spikes, Fast Aerials, and a Projectile

You mean WILL be stopped and gets HIM stuck in a combo
Sigh, sometimes I wonder if you know what the hell your talking about half the time

If that's strong, you should see me break a pencil. It'll blow your mind.
Ok, it isn't THAT strong. Even I know that. It's still stronger than more than half the other character's Nair's

Sigh indeed, I hate doing this every month too

He has nothing afterward, which severely GIMPS his recovery after that. You can't do as much as another character can. Try again.
You know, I hardly get gimped. Yoshi is the only one (If you consider his DJ as his Recovery... Which probably most people here don't) Who can Airdodge during his recovery

No, he really does have a good Aerial game

The draconic *** grind is not a WD. It has even found an applicable use in fights yet.
Your just upset because Yoshi is the only one who can WD.

And slow, for maximum efficiency.
Usmash and Dsmash are slow? I beg to differ.

That is super slow, just so the punishment is assured.
PIVOT GRABS! DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THEM!?!

That obviously broke down somewhere between N64 and now.
Not true. He can combo and quite well

Having a fetish for cartoon dinosaurs does not make you cool.
And Samus does?

LOL, it's false. They are slow, don't do a lot, leave you open. You could have at least argued they help air movement.
LOL, Misconception. They're mostly use as a Counter-Spam, Anti-Air, Edgeguarding, or to put a pressure game on Camping/Defencive opponents

To show off just how gay he is.
Yeah, Yoshi is pretty happy most of the time.

If the person let's it. And I mean, seriously, lets it happen.
Honestly, I don't see the big thing in Dairs. They can work, but I think his Bair works much better. He can gimp extreamly well though. 2 Spikes, Fast Aerials, and a Projectile

You mean WILL be stopped and gets HIM stuck in a combo
Sigh, sometimes I wonder if you know what the hell your talking about half the time

You even said it yourself.
No! It's like awesome!.... Nah, it is pretty slow, but a Rising Fair works quite well sometimes

About as easy as killing with a jab in the middle of the stage
Wow! I didn't know Jabs were THAT powerful!.... oh wait, your talking about Snake, right?

And don't do ****. Also, this is suppose to be the strongpoint of the Yoshi debate, and you kinda through it aside like it's nothing. Tisk Tisk
If Yoshi's Tilts don't do ****, then nobody else's does

Until 2%, then they break out.
Yet another quote showing that you don't know jack about the character your debating about

Until you realive that you are caught in it and there is no hope of servival... and most ranged grabs go through stuff >_>
I think you know this is true, but afraid of admitting it. You would have said something about it being BS or something if you think it wasn't

Fabricated facts aren't as good as real ones.
Please don't tell me your basing it off of THAT Matchup chart >_>

Nope, still not cool.
Sheik won't like that you said that

Repeating a "pro" for Yoshi doesn't make it twice as good.
Uh...... Yeah?

And then he has nothing. awesome
UPB! UPB!

SA frames a counter makes not. Also, THAT THING ISN'T A GOD ****ED WD. It's a pathetic excuse for a conveluted roll.
Again, your just upset

Still a crappy move.
Somewhat agree, but only if used wrong

Meaning he gets to fail on the screen for longer than 26 other characters if they all get hit by the same move.
-_-

For running from his fights
You see that Mirror's Edge game coming out? Just running around, evading bad guys, Jumping from building to building? I want Yoshi to totally be like that girl.

Yet it still sucks because you can't jump out of it and other ****. Not to mention it looks like crap.
OMGZ! CANT JUMP OUT OF SHEILD! GARBAGE TEIR!!!!

Just because your character was nerfed to hell, does not give you the right to take down on everyone elses character, nor makes what you say true.

gantrain05 and DethSmasher, You have given no other reason that Yoshi is the worst other than he has no "True" 3rd jump. And again, His 2nd jump and UpB Eggs are more than enough to make it back to the stage just fine.

Yoshi is way worse than Link, Link just takes lots of skill to manage and is mid-lowtier or bottom-midtier, not yoshi.
So Yoshi doesn't take any skill at all to pick up? That he is naturally bad? This is the most stupidest comment I have ever seen.

Although I do agree that Link should be alittle higher.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Go through and change all of those "your"s to "you're"s please >_>

And I'm not talking to you again. If I wanted to, I'd just hyperlink to page 625 or something and let you re-eat the conversation from there.

Mmac

Smash Lord
And I'm not talking to you again. If I wanted to, I'd just hyperlink to page 625 or something and let you re-eat the conversation from there.
You mean the one where you just back off, ran, and disappeared for 3 Days because I practically did the same thing today?

And you're (happy now? >_>) just afraid of the fact that I'm right, and you're wrong. That I actually know what I'm talking about my character, and you have nothing to counter me with.

Stealth309

Smash Apprentice
Two of my friends are talking about how Ike is superior of a character than Wolf and how Ike will be a higher tier than Wolf. Idiots, they are.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Go through and change all of those "your"s to "you're"s please >_>

gtfo grammar nazi
You mean the one where you just back off, ran, and disappeared for 3 Days because I practically did the same thing today?

And you're (happy now? >_>) just afraid of the fact that I'm right, and you're wrong. That I actually know what I'm talking about my character, and you have nothing to counter me with.
in all honesty,the olny reason yoshi places so low IS for lack of information,he has improved greatly from melee,yet noone seems to care,again,when it comes to yoshi's placement its a popularity contest because noone knows what he can do

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Go back to the hell hole spawn which is the Brawl Yoshi boards.
Hey now. I like to think I'm helping out there.

Yoshi is low tier. Just not for the reasons most people thinks. He has a lot going for him but he has many blatant weaknesses as well... you really have to understand him to find his true weaknesses, though.
Let me spell this out.

Pros
- Yoshi has the highest aerial speed in the game. This mainly helps him with bairs, his main approaching move.
- Yoshi has a good grab. Not out of shield, we'll get to that later, but pivot grabbing and even dash grabbing eliminate the tremendous lag on his standing grabs.
- Yoshi can chain grab half the cast, including MK, Dedede and sort of Falco. It's not easily escapable, and there's no percent limit since it's a release grab.
- Yoshi's eggs are a good projectile. You have to admit that. They have the best range of any non-infinite projectile, and they cover a much larger radius than most projectiles. He can't camp indefinitely with them, but it still makes the opponent approach him rather than the other way around.
- Yoshi's tilts are great. They have great range, come out almost instantly, and can stop almost all ground approaches, and many aerial approaches.
- Yoshi's recovery, while extremely situational, usually gets him back to the stage. Only a couple of characters can gimp him, because he has enough defensive options to get to the ledge.

Cons
- His shield is awful. He can't jump out of it (not really a problem, but still), the roll is infamously laggy, and he can't glide toss because of it. His out-of-shield game is, hands down, the worst of any character, considering that shield grabs can't be pivoted.
- Yoshi's range in front of him and below him in the air is lackluster. Nair can sometimes get the job done, but it usually doesn't outrange anything. As such, Yoshi is forced to RAR for approaches.
- Yoshi's specials (besides eggs) are situational and usually not that useful. Against certain characters like Olimar and Snake, egg roll can be a good approach, but most of the time it gets outprioritized. Egg lay is humiliating to the opponent but it's usually not important unless you're fighting the Ice Climers. Yoshi bomb is a terrible air-to-ground move but can KO if the opponent is at a high enough percentage.
- Yoshi has trouble KOing. Fsmash is slow and not very rangy. Usmash and uair are good but can sometimes be hard to set up. At higher percentages (175-ish), dsmash, nair and downB become viable options. Otherwise it's difficult for Yoshi to kill, especially since he's no great shakes at edgeguarding either.

That's just off the top of my head. Yoshi has enough weaknesses that he can't really be considered mid, but he has enough strengths that he can't be considered bottom. Low is his home, like it or not. I would probably say mid-low.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Thats in no order either.

Worst Chars-
Olimar,
Jiggly,
DEDEDE,
Yoshi,
Mario,
Peach,
Wario,
DK,
Ice Climbers.

And Ness isnt terrible but i mean,
I have never seen anyone main with Ness,
Because Lucas is the top pick.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
The poster two posts above me clearly has no idea what they're talking about. Please ignore them.

Even if you are right, Yoshi is still Low/Bottom Tier and overall sucks comparitively to everyone.

Honestly at this point it seems kind of useless to banter over which bad characters are less bad than the others, it's all irrelevant considering they're bad and likely to not do much since in Brawl Low/Bottom Tiers can't do **** compared to those higher up.

Griffard

Smash Ace
Top-
Pokemon Trainer,
Pikachu,
Metaknight,
Marth,
Lucas,
Fox,
Bowser.
one right! best noob yet!
Thats in no order either.

Worst Chars-
Olimar,
Jiggly,
DEDEDE,
Yoshi,
Mario,
Peach,
Wario,
DK,
Ice Climbers.

And Ness isnt terrible but i mean,
I have never seen anyone main with Ness,
Because Lucas is the top pick.
none of your worst chars are even bad at all except jiggs and yoshi. Ness is pretty strictly better than Lucas (I would know, I used to main both :p) and if you haven't ever seen a Ness main, then maybe you should try GOING TO THE LUCAS BOARDS! that place is full of em! hahahaha

Mmac

Smash Lord
Even if you are right, Yoshi is still Low/Bottom Tier and overall sucks comparitively to everyone.

Honestly at this point it seems kind of useless to banter over which bad characters are less bad than the others, it's all irrelevant considering they're bad and likely to not do much since in Brawl Low/Bottom Tiers can't do **** compared to those higher up.
This is the entire thing we're debating about. Not just Yoshi, but "Lower Tier" Characters in general. You can't just be like "Oh, this character doesn't look at all impressive, so I won't even bother with him and just stick him somewhere low". It's stupid, especially when you're doing something important like making Tier Lists. Just because they're in the Lower Tiers, doesn't mean the character exist. You still gotta look at that characters metagame and potential, like every other character.

Still, they can be still used in completive tournaments. Infact, Yoshi can deal with some supposing High Tier Characters quite well, Like Dedede, Wario, Olimar, and even MetaKnight, where other Lower Tier characters, and even Higher tier characters have huge problems with them. You also gotta face the fact that people are going to use Falcon, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Samus, ect. in professional Tournaments. No matter how "Insane" they are

This is the entire thing we're debating about. Not just Yoshi, but "Lower Tier" Characters in general. You can't just be like "Oh, this character doesn't look at all impressive, so I won't even bother with him and just stick him somewhere low". It's stupid, especially when you're doing something important like making Tier Lists. Just because they're in the Lower Tiers, doesn't mean the character exist. You still gotta look at that characters metagame and potential, like every other character.

Still, they can be still used in completive tournaments. Infact, Yoshi can deal with some supposing High Tier Characters quite well, Like Dedede, Wario, Olimar, and even MetaKnight, where other Lower Tier characters, and even Higher tier characters have huge problems with them. You also gotta face the fact that people are going to use Falcon, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Yoshi, Samus, ect. in professional Tournaments. No matter how "Insane" they are
That's fine, but it seems completely unnesscessary and time consuming to argue for someone to move a spot or two up in the Low/Bottom Tier >_>. Either way you still pretty much near useless

D

Deleted member

Top:
MetaKnight
Snake

High:
Mr. Game and Watch
ROB
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
Wario

Upper Mid
Pikmin and Olimar
Pikachu
Fox
Ice Climbers
Pit
Toon Link

Middle:
Wolf
Lucario
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Luigi
Diddy Kong
Samus

Lower Mid:
Lucas
Ness
Shiek
Purin
Yoshi

Low:
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Peach
Ike
Rinku
Koopa
Sonic

Bottom:

Ganon
C. Falcon

Edit1: Moved Yoshi down one spot, below Purin. Moved Sonic out of Bottom. Samus will remain where she is.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Lol @ the last five pages. I missed some pretty funny stuff while at work...

<sits back down to some lemonade>

Isn't it pretty pointless to debate tier lists now? Xiivi pretty much summed it up at this point in the metagame, as sarcastic as it was...

How to make a tier list.
A Guide by Xiivi

Sudsy86_

Smash Ace
Don't group me in with the socially afflicted attention whores. Not only have I abstained from creating a God forsaken tier list, I have also kept from chewing out a completely ignorant newcomer such as yourself.
ignorant in what way? More imporantly, how is he moreso than you necessarily? Please enlighten me, genius.

What proof could you possibly have that Yoshi is mid-tier level? he is incapable of achieving anything as represented not only by his awful move set, mechanics, and style, but by his current tournament rankings and popularity. He has absolutely nothing going for him except that he's better than the absolute trash heap that is Samus and Falcon.
He has an aweful moveset and mechanics? I agree with style( though its distinctiveness could inevitably be an inherent advantage for him.), but his moveset covers every aspect of the game well. Plus, most of his moves have great range and power. Maneuvering is the only hurdle to overcome. I know tier list are , for whatever reason, based quite a bit off tournament placings, but that uber bull**** of a philosophy is just incidentally-based. There's nothing inherently indictive about someone playing a certain character; there are just too many things that go into it for each person. Plus, since when does "appeal to the majority"/ popularity ever mean anything than someone is conforming? Bull****. Please tell me how they NECESSARILY mean anything--at least to the point where your insults towards him are reasonably justified.

There is no evidence to support your ill-knowledgeable claim. Anything that you may even think you have up your sleeve has already been disputed here time and time again under bright, hot lights and a team of strong, smart investigators such as myself. There is nothing that goes without testing and application. Nothing. Try to bring up something that hasn't been discussed. JUST TRY! I've lurked about every character board on this site, I know more **** than most people know about their own main. I've got the details, I've got all of it. Do you? Do the things running through your mind click with the other **** in the world? I doubt it.
LMBO. HIS ill-knowledged claim? Where the hell do you come in, bud? Tell me about your vast comparitive understanding that's completely objective and not based off the elitism here. Great. You've read about characters. Congrats. What if they and you are simply misinformed slightly and are simply wrong? I'm sure the majority of his thoughts are in conflict with the majority of smashers--most of whom are *******es who reason with invalid philosophy such as you do--but who cares? What if he sees something others don't? The majority of people's behaviour is a servant-based behavior: they try to figure out what others want and do their best to do that unconditionally. Is that somehow good or right? Perhaps, but not inherently or necessarily.

So how about before you try to pin justice or innocence on anyone in here along with ignorance or attraction to volatile comments, how about you reflect upon the reasons why you think Yoshi is consistently placed low. He is low/bottom material. He is not good. He has never been good. Nintendo most likly hates him, and Yoshi mainers have always dealt with it before. Whining about being treated unfairly is a stupid remark. Go back to the hell hole spawn which is the Brawl Yoshi boards. shoo.
People don't play him because his style is too inconvenient to manage at first. People haved played Marth, Shiek, MK, and Snake because the way you play is basic but naturally hard to defeat. Yoshi is pure mindgames because of his awkward movement and strange moveset. Is that too unreasonable? Probably so, since you're an implied self-proclaimed highly-informed smash analyst.

Justify your claims, buddy. And, no, " the majority says..." won't cut it. This isn't authoritarian formal education.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Top:
MetaKnight
Snake

High:
Mr. Game and Watch
ROB
King Dedede
Falco
Marth
Wario

Upper Mid
Pikmin and Olimar
Pikachu
Fox
Ice Climbers
Pit
Toon Link

Middle:
Wolf
Lucario
Zelda
Donkey Kong
Zero Suit Samus
Kirby
Luigi
Diddy Kong
Samus

Lower Mid:
Lucas
Ness
Shiek
Purin
Yoshi

Low:
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Peach
Ike
Rinku
Koopa
Sonic

Bottom:

Ganon
C. Falcon

Edit1: Moved Yoshi down one spot, below Purin. Moved Sonic out of Bottom. Samus will remain where she is.

Why do you call her Purin? it's Jigglypuff, and she will likely end up in the bottom of Low, not above Mario, PKMN Trainer, Peach, Ike or Sonic.

EDIT: I just saw Samus in Middle, I think I fell for the joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom