• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Critique Topic

Purple

Hi guys!
Hello everyone, i'm curious how many of you are comfortable with anatomy? I'm going to be doing a lot of anatomy work soon because I just got a book by Andrew Loomis; I'm really excited and I want to show you guys the sketches as I make them.

However, for a variety of reasons i'm not sure if it's best for me to post them; a few quickly come to mind: nudity, the fact they are sketches and more often than not, not finished works.

I'm morely pointing towards Neon Ness with this post, however i'm curious would it be okay for me to post my anatomy stuff here?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Straight from the Global Rules:

Kirby King said:
Q: I want to show off my collection of fresh adult artwork. Can I post them here?
A: A firm no - you may not post explicit material. If you are not sure if your artwork is appropriate, check with a moderator before posting it.
So if you're going to be including things like genitalia, then I'm gonna have to say no dice.

But if it's like basic sketches of the human form without showing anything explicit (genitals, nipples [female] , etc.) then technically it should be alright. I dunno what exactly you want to show, but if it's something parents probably don't want their kids looking at, best to err on the safe side and hold off.

Purple

Hi guys!
It's not adult artwork as I feel the question is implying (sexual). No genitalia will be shown in any of the work.

Neon Ness

In that case it should be aight

If it's questionable I'll just edit it out, no worries.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245

Just a little person I made from scratch using inkscape. I wish I had a scanner so then I could just trace then color. If anyone has any tips on lighting they would like to share it would be appreciated.

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman

Just a little person I made from scratch using inkscape. I wish I had a scanner so then I could just trace then color. If anyone has any tips on lighting they would like to share it would be appreciated.
Might I suggest light shading with a blue tint, I think it would work nicely with your background. And some highlights lit from behind too.

Here's something I was working on In PSP and SAI

Can somebody suggest a way to ink this? Cause my lasso method just takes way too long.

SStrife

Smash Rookie
Might I suggest light shading with a blue tint, I think it would work nicely with your background. And some highlights lit from behind too.

Here's something I was working on In PSP and SAI

Can somebody suggest a way to ink this? Cause my lasso method just takes way too long.
I love the way you make your lines, it's very fluid. I'm assuming you don't have the pen tool in PSP or SAI. If not, then you may have to work with the lasso tool. Time consuming, yes. But it's well worth it. Use vibrant colors to make it pop =D

A vector that's been in progress for awhile...

Neon Ness

Really nice vector so far. I haven't done one in a while since they can be really time consuming. :p The amount of detail in the hair is admirable to say the least.

The way you used unusual colors (like green and violet) for the skin is nice too... risky but it turned out perfectly lol. Gives it a strange look but it's cool.

One thing, I might be wrong though. It looks like the light source is suppsoed to be coming from the upper right so I would think that for her left eye, the shadow would be facing southwest for lack of a better term, but the shadow there is on the right (our right) of the eye. I dunno, I might be looking at it wrong.

Keep it up. :) There's a lot of negative space so I assume you were planning on adding shoulders/torso at least. There was someone who used to post here named HybridTheory, you guys have similar styles. Can't wait to see more of your work.

@ Evil-Guy: DAT SUX

Nah jk. Some of the lines actually do look like they were made with a tablet. The colors are really nice looking too. Even though I don't really get what's going on there lol.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
@
Evil-Guy : we are both in the exact same predicament, stuck with a laptop pad until we get a tablet, haha. Pretty good for a Laptop pad project IMO, I like the gloweyness

Made this with a laptop pad too, critique plz :)

I tried to Get the realistic look, and tested out my new Paint.net edition smudge tool :D
Laptop pads are annoying, do :/

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
@Charmander - it feels like you don't know the form of what you are drawing. Sure, the light looks like it's coming from the right, but it also makes it feel like charmander is completely flat. I also feel like yiou should be outlining him differently - with more solid, single lines instead of the sketchy look you have about him.

Best part of the image was the fire.

@Santo - those images are amazing. Like . . . sell them or something. Awe striking.

Evil-Guy

Smash Journeyman
@Charmander

Thats cute :p
But for now maybe we shouldnt really tamper with something that would hinder our skills and make us look like fools :(

Though sketch stuff with a laptop pad so you can save your concepts, so when you get a tablet, you can pick up right where you left off and make your ideas come to life. :)

@Santo

Work on your composition the most. Though I like the realism and how it resembles todays society. This is truly stunning.

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
@Charmander - it feels like you don't know the form of what you are drawing. Sure, the light looks like it's coming from the right, but it also makes it feel like charmander is completely flat. I also feel like yiou should be outlining him differently - with more solid, single lines instead of the sketchy look you have about him.

Best part of the image was the fire.

@Santo - those images are amazing. Like . . . sell them or something. Awe striking.
Better? I still think something is missing :/

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
on the charmander... i think the neck is too elongated, it reminds me of charmeleon with out a horn.

i want critiques too!!
i changed megaman 2's flashman completely.

critique plz.

Neon Ness

I dunno what Flashman looked like originally, so I can't comment on that.

But the linework and coloring is really good. Liking the 3-tone colors you got.

Just wish the feet weren't cut off, though I do that a lot myself lol. Or at least, try to clean up the transition near the feet a little, make it more uniform.

His left arm also looks longer than the other, but like I said, I dunno what he actually looks like so it could be it's supposed to look like that. :dizzy: His torso/left arm should cast a shadow on the rope cable behind him.

Neon Ness

Get Photoshop. ]:<<< I can't stand messy lines.

Dunsparce would've made a better shoe. Cuz it's shaped like a shoe.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I don't do it because it's easy, I do it because people give me a combination of a pokémon and an item and I'm like :\ okay I'll do it, so this comes out. And pfft, messy lines they're not supposed to be good.

Zephron

Smash Ace
@augustoflores

First of all, I really like the art piece. It's clean, and very nice looking.

On his chest, shoulders, and helmet I noticed you use the same sort of shape to show shine.
Unless it's some sort of insignia I don't know about.
It doesnt really work for anything other than his helmet IMO. Try using a similar, but different shape to do that.

His arms also need to better shading work. His right arm appears to have a cylindrical thing on it, but it has almost no shading on it at all. His left arm also has parts underneath the hand guard thing that needs to be shaded as well.

However, these are very small in the end of things, you made a great piece of art :)

@All

I would like a critique as well, since no one commented on the thread I made :p
...Besides that troll Kingdom Come who says crap on all the threads I post in.

It's a Ghost from Starcraft 2. This is what they look like ingame:

Here's mine: (I made it blue... because I can and I like blue.)

Master Ppv

Smash Journeyman
Here's mine: (I made it blue... because I can and I like blue.)

That's frickin' awesome! I like the new design of the head, and the detail's really nice, too. The gun could use some lighter / more detailed / defined parts... It kinda just looks like a dark shape for now with a couple of details. And the feet / ankles might be better with more rounded lines; I can see some sharp corners around those parts as well as other isolated areas on the shoulders, etc. Maybe that's intended, though, and still, it's only a minor complaint. Great job! :)

Now here are two shots from me... NOT MY CAT, it's my friend's. The cat's name is Cookie :laugh:

Joeadok

Smash Journeyman
Latest character, Warioware's Dr. Crygor:

@Zephron: Very nice stuff, especially liking the texture work, how long have you been 3d'ing

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
@augustoflores

First of all, I really like the art piece. It's clean, and very nice looking.

On his chest, shoulders, and helmet I noticed you use the same sort of shape to show shine.
Unless it's some sort of insignia I don't know about.
It doesnt really work for anything other than his helmet IMO. Try using a similar, but different shape to do that.

His arms also need to better shading work. His right arm appears to have a cylindrical thing on it, but it has almost no shading on it at all. His left arm also has parts underneath the hand guard thing that needs to be shaded as well.

However, these are very small in the end of things, you made a great piece of art :)

yeah, i did reuse it, lol; i am really lazy... at the arm thing, the shading, i dropped the ball on that.
@NeonNess
the left arm appears longer because it is closer to you... dynamics, right?
i cut the feet off because i hate drawing feet. the way i cut them off was just using the eraser tool with opacity and flow reduced.
it is really strange, but when i shade, i never know which direction the light is coming from... occasionally, i tell people that it comes from multiple sides... dummies buy that, which is cool for the moment. thank you all for the kind words and criticism. this is the kind of criticism i want from people at deviantart but they are always in an awe at stuff. thank you guys.
here are 2 images of flashman and 2 other things that were added to my image.
flashman
flashman.exe
prometheus
model a grey
anything not in the above images were from my mind.

Neon Ness

Yeah, I guess my eyes were just playing tricks on me or something at the time. :dizzy: The arm looks fine now. Your lighting is consistent except for that one thing.

And yeah, having a light source direction look consistent can be tough, usually what I do is just have it come from the right unless there's a specific light source inside the frame, like a lamp or the sun or something.

I'm not good at feet either for whataver reason lol. But just start including them and they will get better over time.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Joe, I want to see your model in action - moving, or at least give up them interacting. Like, it can be a still image, but I'd like to see something MORE from them.

They're good. I like it. Just wish I could see more use put into them after you've created them.

Top Bottom