• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

SAUS

Smash Ace
2) I get repeatedly juggled by the spacies (whether its Falco with his dair shine or fox with his up tilts, back airs, up grabs, and so on). I try to DL but this hasn't been succeeding. Is there a certain way to specifically DL to escape the pressure / any other alternatives I should focus on?
3) This is more of a note in regards to my mentality in the matches I play that I require assistance on. Whenever I play Spacies, I feel as though I get outspeeded (like when I go for my JC grabs that usually do not land). From there, I feel threatened to shield (causing me to be juggled by their shine combos and what not), or shield too much (causing them to shine-grab me). How do I overcome this mentality and begin punishing them brutally as Sheik? (More of a add-on to question 2 I'd say).
I think you are focusing too much on after you get hit. It's good to know how to DI and stuff, but there still are combos in this game. Sometimes you can't do anything but DI weirdly and hope they don't follow you correctly. What you are having trouble with is probably beating the spacies in the neutral game. If they feel no threat by being near you, then they will just jump all over you and eventually your defense will crack and you will start getting combod. Similarly, if your attacks (run in and JC grab) are too obvious or poorly timed, they will easily defend and then get hits on you.

You need to know how to beat their attacks - not through shielding, but through evading their attacks - and how to attack safely. You need to know when you should throw out that grab and when you should just run around a bit more. Maybe try to throw some needles (I am assuming you play Shiek). If you jump and throw them before you land, you do not have any lag for throwing them. I don't have too much to say on this part because I am not a Shiek expert.

The important message I am trying to convey is that you should not look at it as "what do I do when I am stuck in my shield getting pressured by a spacie" and look at it more as "how can I avoid getting stuck in my shield". Probably the biggest thing you will find is that if you are too far away when they land to hit you with their shine, then you pretty much have a free shield grab. Learning to set up this scenario will get you far against spacies, since with Shiek, you can tech chase grab them for a long time. You can set up this scenario by moving around a lot, and then if they approach at the wrong time (a little too far to do a proper aerial->shine), then you get to punish them for it.

I hope this helps.

EDIT:
I wanted to add a sidenote about them being faster than you. This is the result of them being free to move. They are free to move if they are not threatened. You can threaten them with very powerful defensive moves (dash dance grabbing their misses etc) and by attacking only safely (throwing needles when you can, jabbing their shield and then backing off, etc).

Erkekjetter

Smash Journeyman
My friend says that the two shoulders have independent lockout times. IE I can miss and get locked out with R and instead try to tech with L. Is this a real thing? Im highly skeptical of it but if its true changes alot of things.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the "Smash community" (don't mind the joined date, I've had the account for a while, but never got around to using it) and I come from the "FGC". I'd like to learn Melee very much; I'm not that great, but I would like to meet you guys. If anyone here plays in the southeast region, near Millbrook, AL (or any of the surrounding areas, such as Prattville, Montgomery, Wetumpka, etc.) to be more specific, I'd most definitely like to meet you guys and maybe get some games in or at least talk to you guys. Thanks in advance.
:)

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the "Smash community" (don't mind the joined date, I've had the account for a while, but never got around to using it) and I come from the "FGC". I'd like to learn Melee very much; I'm not that great, but I would like to meet you guys. If anyone here plays in the southeast region, near Millbrook, AL (or any of the surrounding areas, such as Prattville, Montgomery, Wetumpka, etc.) to be more specific, I'd most definitely like to meet you guys and maybe get some games in or at least talk to you guys. Thanks in advance.
:)
Welcome to the community! You should go to the regional forums (should be easy to find from the homepage) and see if there are any players or upcoming tournaments near you. You can also check the sticky threads in the Melee Discussion forum for any Facebook groups with players in your region.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
Welcome to the community! You should go to the regional forums (should be easy to find from the homepage) and see if there are any players or upcoming tournaments near you. You can also check the sticky threads in the Melee Discussion forum for any Facebook groups with players in your region.
Will do, thank you.

otter

Smash Ace
So, my Falco journey is going well but I have a problem. I have the muscle memory for shffling down pretty well but when I approach with nair, I always seem to be at a severe disadvantage against shields. To the point where I can't even get out a shine before they throw me. Is this a common problem?

cjugs

Smash Ace
just mod ur wii and burn it
i modded the wii got homebrew and the homebrew channel but i'm at a loss on what do do next. Idk how to get what to burn it now and i emailed sleeyk for the pre hacked thing but all his links he gave me must be out of date.

cjugs

Smash Ace
So, my Falco journey is going well but I have a problem. I have the muscle memory for shffling down pretty well but when I approach with nair, I always seem to be at a severe disadvantage against shields. To the point where I can't even get out a shine before they throw me. Is this a common problem?
shield timing is a little different because if you hit to high on the shield the hit stun on the shield goes away and there's nothing keeping them in shield so they grab probably before you can hit the ground at all or you are straight missing the l cancel but some characters cant be shield pressured with nair shine like fox sheik and i think samus up also but that's down the road anyway try to nair like almost before you hit the ground and then shine. What i like to do is nair shine nair and not fast fall the nair but move away usually people think they can grab you but they miss free punish. I hate when people shield grab its lame.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
I hate it when people call things lame... it's lame.
Especially shield grabs... Be happy playing spacies allows you to just spam buttons into colorful bubbles instead of having to grab them.

Also: I don't think otter was talking about continuous shield pressure (that's strictly speaking not safe against any character), just the first iteration.
Like Rarik said: You should aim to hit the nair low to the ground, hit the l cancel and hit shine as soon as possible. You can mess up a little and still be safe from grabs, but not very much. And definitely do not hit the nair while rising, that kills pretty much any hope of frame advanntage.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
I wasn't sure where else to ask, so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to go to guys.

1. Is there a competitive Smash Wiki?
2. Who are the best characters to teach me the fundamentals of Smash? I've been using :marthmelee:, :falcomelee:,:icsmelee:, :samusmelee:, and a couple of other characters to get a feel for them, but I'm still admittedly a little lost with what I'm doing.
3. This is a little scrubby, but I'm having trouble beating event 51 to get FD. I've been using Puff's DS to kill :bowsermelee:, but :ganondorfmelee: and:mewtwopm: gives me the most issues. I feel dumb for asking, but it's been difficult.
4. Is the frame data 100% accurate? I'm sure it is since the game is 10+ years old, but it's better to be safe than sorry, right?
5. What do I practice when I'm alone to train properly? I've been practicing my wavedash, but its super slow and I have trouble dashing onto platforms. Any tips on speeding it up?
6. Another scrubby question, I'm having trouble doing tilts. Every time I try to do a tilt, a smash comes out. What am I doing wrong?
7. I'm hearing words like l-canceling, n-airs, etc. Is there a dictionary for these terms?
8. Another scrubby question, does the stuff the ICs can do still work if you use the blue/orange and the red/white colors? It's silly, but I'm curious.

Last edited:

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
1) http://www.ssbwiki.com/Main_Page
2) Marth, Sheik. Main one and only one character in the beginning - Until you learn the game mechanics, you are only halting your progress by playing multiple characters at once. (This includes not having a secondary until you actually get decent in the game).
3) Yeah. You'll need to play the game a bit more to understand which moves are good with which characters. When approaching E51 with Puff, you'd normally go for rests on giga bowser (while simultaneously hitting M2/Ganon when you can). After giga's down, just zone with Bair/grab them and throw them off stage and edgehog them. It isn't too hard and should not take many attempts.
4) What do you mean by 100% accurate?
5) Handicap on: you at 1, player 2 at 9. Damage ratio to 0.5. Choose a tournament stage (preferably FD in the beginning). Practice Dair Shine Dair Shine Dair Shine and other standard SHFFL combos. Practice laser approaching. Practice shine-JC grabs. Practice shine OOS. Practice Ledge hop Double Laser. Work on your approaches (Check Dr.PeePee's shadow approaching article that he posted).

Falco begins his jump animation on the 6th frame to my knowledge. You cannot speed up your wavedash unless you're doing it slower than that - Which would mean that you need to practice more. Dashing onto platforms?

6) That means you are not tilting the control stick to whatever direction it needs to be tilted - You are smashing it forward instead. You have to be lighter with your inputs if you want tilts.
7) Yes. Check smashboards/the wiki I linked you to above.
8) What stuff? Costume colors don't affect a character's techniques to my knowledge.

otter

Smash Ace
You're missing the L-cancel or doing the Nair too early.
shield timing is a little different because if you hit to high on the shield the hit stun on the shield goes away and there's nothing keeping them in shield so they grab probably before you can hit the ground at all or you are straight missing the l cancel but some characters cant be shield pressured with nair shine like fox sheik and i think samus up also but that's down the road anyway try to nair like almost before you hit the ground and then shine. What i like to do is nair shine nair and not fast fall the nair but move away usually people think they can grab you but they miss free punish. I hate when people shield grab its lame.
Also: I don't think otter was talking about continuous shield pressure (that's strictly speaking not safe against any character), just the first iteration.
Like Rarik said: You should aim to hit the nair low to the ground, hit the l cancel and hit shine as soon as possible. You can mess up a little and still be safe from grabs, but not very much. And definitely do not hit the nair while rising, that kills pretty much any hope of frame advanntage.
Thanks guys. I think the problem is that I'm doing the nair around the peak of my jump instead of toward the end. So I'll work on that and hopefully it will lead to many shine-grabs and learning how to pillar.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I hate it when people call things lame... it's lame.
Especially shield grabs... Be happy playing spacies allows you to just spam buttons into colorful bubbles instead of having to grab them.

You're lame. Yeah I know he wasn't I was just rambling, like if they tilt their shield and set it up then ok but a lucky shield grab bugs me still hate it.can fox continuously shield pressure?

Rarik

Smash Journeyman
The slow ledge attack is when you're at or above 100%, so stay below 100% to get the faster ledge attack.

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
Rarik said:
The slow ledge attack is when you're at or above 100%, so stay below 100% to get the faster ledge attack.
Thanks, I think this will help me make smarter evaluations of my options when I'm on the edge.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
2) Marth, Sheik. Main one and only one character in the beginning - Until you learn the game mechanics, you are only halting your progress by playing multiple characters at once. (This includes not having a secondary until you actually get decent in the game).
3) Yeah. You'll need to play the game a bit more to understand which moves are good with which characters. When approaching E51 with Puff, you'd normally go for rests on giga bowser (while simultaneously hitting M2/Ganon when you can). After giga's down, just zone with Bair/grab them and throw them off stage and edgehog them. It isn't too hard and should not take many attempts.
4) What do you mean by 100% accurate?
5) Handicap on: you at 1, player 2 at 9. Damage ratio to 0.5. Choose a tournament stage (preferably FD in the beginning). Practice Dair Shine Dair Shine Dair Shine and other standard SHFFL combos. Practice laser approaching. Practice shine-JC grabs. Practice shine OOS. Practice Ledge hop Double Laser. Work on your approaches (Check Dr.PeePee's shadow approaching article that he posted).

Falco begins his jump animation on the 6th frame to my knowledge. You cannot speed up your wavedash unless you're doing it slower than that - Which would mean that you need to practice more. Dashing onto platforms?

6) That means you are not tilting the control stick to whatever direction it needs to be tilted - You are smashing it forward instead. You have to be lighter with your inputs if you want tilts.
7) Yes. Check smashboards/the wiki I linked you to above.
8) What stuff? Costume colors don't affect a character's techniques to my knowledge.
Thanks, I'll be putting this to good use. By if the frame data is accurate, is it 100% for sure the exact data? I play Kof13, and that game's frame data is sometimes wrong so I always make sure now since frame data knowledge can win games sometimes.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Thanks, I'll be putting this to good use. By if the frame data is accurate, is it 100% for sure the exact data? I play Kof13, and that game's frame data is sometimes wrong so I always make sure now since frame data knowledge can win games sometimes.
The frame data in each character's hitbox thread is correct, but you will have to take info on Smash Wikis with a grain of salt. I know Kadano has been putting in work trying to get accurate wiki pages, but people will always feel entitled to write whatever they want in a wiki without testing stuff first.

WWGenesis

Smash Cadet
You're lame. Yeah I know he wasn't I was just rambling, like if they tilt their shield and set it up then ok but a lucky shield grab bugs me still hate it.can fox continuously shield pressure?
Are you really complaining about shield grabs when you're playing a character that auto combos half the cast from 0% to 40%? Get better dude.

LetGoOfMyBread

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 8515 9783 4204
The frame data in each character's hitbox thread is correct, but you will have to take info on Smash Wikis with a grain of salt. I know Kadano has been putting in work trying to get accurate wiki pages, but people will always feel entitled to write whatever they want in a wiki without testing stuff first.
Thanks, I'm glad you told me since I've been mostly using the wiki. I'll take a look in the threads now. Also, thank you guys for being so open and nice to a newcomer like myself. :)

cjugs

Smash Ace
Are you really complaining about shield grabs when you're playing a character that auto combos half the cast from 0% to 40%? Get better dude.
Takes a real man to talk **** over the internet, if you are johning about my characters odds are u suck at this game anyway and stfu I play link FYI

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
i modded the wii got homebrew and the homebrew channel but i'm at a loss on what do do next. Idk how to get what to burn it now and i emailed sleeyk for the pre hacked thing but all his links he gave me must be out of date.
i recommend trying an sd loader maybe, i know thats how u get sdremix, just go to coolrom and get the .iso 2gig sd cards r cheap as ****

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Get GC Backup loader and burn the iso using imgburn.
Changing textures is pretty straightforward so I would recommend making your own. I burned sleepyk's iso, but didn't really like it as it was missing a lot of potential texture customization.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
nevermind. sub-sub forums are dumb

Last edited:

Varist

Smash Lord
I would actually recommend playing all of the top tiers all the time in the beginning. You're not trying to impress anybody, you're not trying to beat anyone. If you're just starting out you have literally nothing to prove so what you want to do is play all the characters and understand their property differences and what moves they seem to have the most success with. Characters have different playstyles and believing that you have the insight to pick just one so early on in your training is wrong. You probably won't find the character you're actually going to have the most success with for a year. In the meantime there's no reason not to just increase your general competitive game sense.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Playing all of the top tiers will expand your knowledge on what they can and can't do to you. Plus, they're all really fun to use.

Top Bottom