• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I believe PewPewU wrote one relatively recently. I don't have the time to dig it up, though, hopefully someone else can.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
No, that is not possible.

But image processing technologies, such as video upscaling and deinterlacing, has improved over the years so higher quality TVs can have display lag that is close to negligible. There really isn't really a way to 'fix' a specific TV that wasn't made with display lag in mind, however, and there will always be some small amount of input lag present

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I guess I assumed lcd or plasma. Does a widescreen crt not have to scale aspect ratio though?

Kadano

Magical Express
I guess I assumed lcd or plasma. Does a widescreen crt not have to scale aspect ratio though?
I’m not an expert on CRT inner technology, but the scaling they do is done analog (unless it’s a 2000 era TV with digital processing maybe, but then it’s crap for Melee anyway). Thus, it doesn’t lag. Switching from 4:3 to 16:9 is probably accomplished by simply realigning the deflection coils. The total signal processing time is about 700 nanoseconds either way. It won’t lag any more than it will lag when you wear glasses, to give a somewhat appropriate metaphor.

Last edited:

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Hi everyone,

I was hoping someone could help me out with something. I'm looking for the full results of Smash Royale III in San Bernardino, California on April 28th, 2007. The tournament is listed in the 2007 year in review but the link is either outdated, broken or incorrect because it doesn't take you to the results list. Anyways I would really appreciate it if someone still had the results by some chance.

Thanks

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is there data on maximum crouch canceling percentages? I'm specifically looking for stuff with Pichu.
You can crouch cancel at any percent. With higher % and KB, you simply become unable to ASDI into the ground. What you are able to stay grounded from is move dependent, not just percent dependent.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
You can crouch cancel at any percent. With higher % and KB, you simply become unable to ASDI into the ground. What you are able to stay grounded from is move dependent, not just percent dependent.
well, you're right, but i was just looking for the maximum percentages for staying grounded against every attack (or at least what's relevant) in the game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The percent varies by attack and (your) character weight. I'm not sure if there is a compiled list of these percents anywhere, as it would be a rather long list. Most players just get a feel for it and use it whenever its a good option.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Even a list of percents for each move vs. each character would be off a little due to staling, and you also have to keep in mind that you usually aren't always going to get the true CC if you don't hold down until after you've been hit.

onlyaaron17

Smash Cadet
NNID
onlyaaron17
I know this is going to be a long post, but im really excited. I played smash as a little kid, started 64, then melee and i only played with friends, and played brawl and first started competitive there. Ive always liked brawl more and spent more time in brawl, even made a team for it and i was always curious to why brawl was always bashed and people would just glorify melee. I didnt caee i liked all smash games. Recently i came across a college and well needless to say most people hated brawl in fact only played pm or melee. I thought it was pretty stubborn so i picked up a controller and asked to play. i always played with roy in melee but marth was easier to play so i always played him. After a few days people were complimenting my marth saying I was good, but that wasnt enough for me. I wanted more. After a while i started realizing why people love melee so much. It was the player base, the fun, the studying, the large knowledge u need to play this game as well as pm. So after a whole i just kinda dropped brawl and now i cant even get used to its mechanics because its too easy for me...so players, they told me my spacing is awesome (well lol learned that from fighting games and bawl), but apparently I dont have tech skill. Which is why im coming here to day. I want you,smashboards to help me. Im stuck and I want to learn how to maneuver the melee side of the forums to play competitively.
What is tech skill?
How do I properly wave dash and L cancel?
How long in theory should I have mastered these 2 mechanics?
Does playing marth change any of said mechanics i should be able to do, vs playing with other characters. Sorry for the rant, im just really trying to make the transfer from brawl to this and pm.

Dassy

Smash Rookie
Hi there, I main peach on melee and I have a question that I need help on. When I shield with peach and my opponent attack me I try to float cancel nair my opponent but I can't because of shield stun and I'm always side dodging. I'm practicing this for better punish game. The shield stun is killing me. What am I doing wrong that makes me keep on side dodging? Even though I let go of my shield while having the shield stun. Hopefully there is a video about this stuff. If so send me the links. Please, thank you.

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The input for FC nair is: jump (hold) -> tap down (return to neutral) -> A

If you attempt to do this too soon, the jump input won't register and you will simply press down causing you to spot dodge. The solution is to wait slightly longer before doing the inputs.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hi there, I main peach on melee and I have a question that I need help on. When I shield with peach and my opponent attack me I try to float cancel nair my opponent but I can't because of shield stun and I'm always side dodging. I'm practicing this for better punish game. The shield stun is killing me. What am I doing wrong that makes me keep on side dodging? Even though I let go of my shield while having the shield stun. Hopefully there is a video about this stuff. If so send me the links. Please, thank you.
Even if you are out of shield stun and let go of shield, pressing down will still result in a spot dodge until your shield fully disappears (~14 frames for most chars). To prevent the spot dodge, you have to make sure you are jumping out of shield before your stick goes downward. If you spot dodge when you practice FC nairs out of shield on your own (without anyone hitting your shield), then it likely has nothing or little to do with the actual shield stun.

Dassy

Smash Rookie
Thank you Sveet and Bones0 for the help. Another question, how am I going to practice FC nairs out of shield if I'm always playing alone, any advice?

Last edited:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Get the 20XX hack pack, it has a feature that allows you to spoof a 2nd controller. In game, you can make the spoofed character do things like fox/falco shield pressure or just stand in place and shield grab. Read the guide for the full list of commands. Its a great training tool.

AirFair

Marth tho
Thats true lol, but I guess part of my question has to do with the bits of lag associated with any online match in a fighting game.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
There are some things you can learn from netplay, but there are many subtle things you probably can't. Eg, Fox can probably still uthrow uair on netplay, but nobody could or would use the perfect frame of shine to stuff an approach.

Melee always will be an in-person game, at least to me.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Online play can be good to make sure you aren't just falling into habits. Habits form when you play against the same opponents all the time - especially when they also have bad habits that you begin to just start punishing by habit. It's why people tell people to not play CPUs all the time - you are basically punishing ridiculously bad and even unrealistic habits.

The problem with online play is the loss of reaction time and your tech skill might start to get broken for when you play without lag. Also playing with lag is so damn annoying.

Sketch

Smash Cadet
Dolphin questions . Using my c stick to the left doesnt work when im on the ground but works in the air anyone know why that is ? also some times my smash attacks happen right way and sometimes its like i ddint even flick the stick even though i did.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey so I remember there used to be a thread compiling character statistics and ranking the cast by order of tournament success.

Is there something like that still around somewhere? Yeah you know I could search but I'm too old for that.

townes

Smash Apprentice
I am looking for a list of character jump squat times. What I'm trying to find is the character who has the closest time to marth to jump off of the ground. Obviously fox's is extremely fast while bowser and ganon's are extremely slow. When I do the input for wavedash with fox while playing as marth, marth will just do a full hop since the trigger button is pressed while marth is still preparing to go airborne. Does anyone know where I could find a list of all the character's jump squat times? Do Kadano, Magus, or Stratocaster have anything?

Foxco

Smash Cadet
Anyone have any tips for improving my melee game when I live in Australia & nearly no one around plays?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
It's definitely a real thing, though the wiki page is wildly inaccurate. Basically you need to hit something very soon after dropping from a platform, and then the hitlag can help you land again on the platform again because of how stage collision detection system works in this game. Whether or not this will work depends on the aerial used and character also.

I've seen some Luigi, guess it was Abate, utilising this to combo with nair, but otherwise its not commonly used tech at all. It's quite easy to do with many aerials, such as falco's bair for instance, but it's usually not very useful.

¹So-called “platform canceling“ does just what the programmers wanted to prevent, as they likely didn’t account for the hitlag delay that also increases the ECB timer and thrusts you into the next ECB update interval. Because aerial ECBs have much shorter downward extension than grounded ECBs (those will usually be kept for 10 frames so that you can pass through the platform), the updated ECB might have you being “above” the platform again, if your aerial’s ECB downward extension is sufficiently short to compensate your falling speed.
²Light orange color indicates estimates without proper testing and verifying from now on. So these 10 frames could be 9 or 14 as well, but if I always run such tests before I post, I won’t write another post before I understand pretty much the entire Melee code, haha.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Can somebody explain this to me? I don't think I've ever seen it referenced anywhere outside of this wiki page nor used in a game (although I might have just missed it) so seeing as it comes from a wiki I'm doubtful. If it is a real thing, can somebody give me some more info about it? Want to know if it's something I should try to learn how to do.
A lot of the info on that page seems suspicious, but platform cancelling is a thing. The most common usage in today's metagame comes from Luigi mains. Due to Luigi's low gravity, it's quite easy for him to platform cancel some of his aerials (bair and nair are the most common, but I think uair works too). You can easily test platform cancels by dropping through a platform, doing the earliest aerial possible, and making sure your aerial hits an opponent. You have to hit an opponent because the hitlag delays your descent through the platform long enough to allow your Environment Collision Box (ECB) to update. A character's ECB is essentially what determines when they land, and the first few frames you drop through a platform, it changes to prevent you from landing on a platform immediately.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey guys... there was some thread I saw a while back about hand/wrist exercises and stuff to keep them healthy, avoiding the strain from Melee. I've been thinking about that stuff so if anyone knows what thread I'm talking about could you link me?

Top Bottom