• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Official FAQ and QnA Thread - Ask Your Questions Here!

Laem

Smash Champion
so tell me forum

why in melee(not in brawl) does my character keep on shielding even when i let go of the L and R buttons (usually after an L-cancel)?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
you're not letting go fast enough.

if you let go after the shield starts to come up, you have to wait for both the shield rise and shield lower animations which total to ~20 frames.

Spife

Smash Master
No that animation is good! It helps slow untechnical people like me!
Little known fact, you can cancel that animation with upsmash (maybe you can jc it, I'm not sure and can't find out irght now) or upb. Actually, now that I think about it, it makes sense you can jc it so yeah.
Drop shield -> cancel animation -> :D

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Yarr, jumping lets you get out of your shield without doing that, so basically JC anything. Or you could roll/spotdodge...or powershield; w/e floats your boat.

Unfortunately Yoshi can't jump OoS so either he has to use his horrible roll or do that terrible shield drop if he ever shields.

Laem

Smash Champion
thanks for the input, but it wasnt what i meant. In my situation, the shield pops up and stays(even when i let go of the L/R buttons), as in, it will break if i dont jump out of it or roll (although after rolling it just pops up again without me givin the input for it) or press and release either R or L once more.... >.>

Magus420

Smash Master
It probably needs to be cleaned and the spring isn't able to push it all the way back up all the time because there's too much resistance. Either take it apart and clean the button(s), or if you can't you can plug in the controller (or hold start+X+Y for a few seconds) to calibrate the controller's analog functions with the affected button(s) already pressed in slightly (or a lot if it's getting stuck really far down).

Laem

Smash Champion
Much appreciated. But! any reason why this would only be in melee and not in brawl?

Lovage

Smash Hero
question:

what happens when you're on the ground and smash di up or down? like if you get hit by falco's dair at low percent, you're gonna stay on the ground no matter what, and you can SDI left and right to possibly avoid the shine. what happens if you SDI up or down? is there any effect?

i wonder if magus magus420 could answer this

joeplicate

Smash Master
pretty sure you can't sdi up or down

this would be "forbidden smash DI" i think
which is why you go into that flipping animation (the one for jiggs dair rest)

X1-12

Smash Champion
I'm no Magus but I'm sure i read about this in the Doraki guide: You can't SDI up when you are grounded it is "forbidden DI", otherwise you could SDI up then land to remove you're hitstun, or you could SDI up then Tech a Ganon D-air or something to survive

However Smash DIing into the ground can't make you tech (it would clearly be broken)

Forbidden Smash DI :

If you are on the ground and are hit by a non-techable move that sends you horizontally or downwards, you won't be able to Smash DI up.
I call this Forbidden Smash DI. It would in fact be broken because you would take the hit airborne, you would land on the ground without any stun.
The developpers saw this and prevented that from happening.
Forbidden Smash DI makes sure you stay stunned on the ground when you're hit by Fox's Aerial Down A, Fox's shine or any other relatively weak hit nailing you into the ground.
(However I've seen CPUs breaking that rule in Adventure mode )

Magus420

Smash Master
Brawl doesn't use the analog part of the buttons and only responds to the digital click part when you press it all the way down. If you wanted to, you could have both buttons pressed all the way down when plugging it in or resetting it in Melee to fully disable the analog part of the buttons and make them respond the same way they would in Brawl. You most likely don't need to disable that much of the analog's range to fix your problem though (assuming that is what's wrong of course).

SDIing down when you're already on the ground doesn't do anything since you can't get any lower than touching the floor, and unlike walls and ceilings, SDIing into them doesn't cause a collision even if it causes knockdown/tumble. Only ASDI can cause you to collide with the floor, and since ASDI and KB happen at the same time the ability to hit/tech directly off the ground is limited by how strong the vertical part of KB is.

SDIing upwards on attacks with default trajectories above horizontal while on the ground will lift you off the ground like normal, and these trajectories can be trajectory DI'd normally both below tumble and above tumble.

On attacks with default trajectories horizontal and lower you are unable to A/SDI in an upwards direction or use trajectory DI when below tumble and on the ground, but are allowed to A/SDI and traj DI normally when above tumble. In other words, when Falco's d-air doesn't knock you down trying to SDI upwards will do nothing, but when it does knock you over it will work normally.

You actually can SDI Ganon's grounded d-air upwards when it knocks down, but you wouldn't be able to use that to tech it at KO percent since downwards sending hits above tumble on the ground have you immediately bounce and have the KB converted and ready to go upwards the moment it connects. You could SDI way up into the sky before hitlag ends, but you still are sent upwards from that location.

wiitubeaccount

Smash Apprentice
what is a good estimate of how much people still play melee in total? and just competitively?
and how is that population distributed?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
1k competitive players in USA
5x play for fun/don't participate in tournaments
20x watch melee vids but don't really play/play brawl

i think thats a good estimate.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i think more than 1k play competitive

unless you define competitive as going to tournaments regularly (which makes sense)

there's tons of pocket communities in random places with pretty good players who just play with each other and don't post much or go to tournies.

wiitubeaccount

Smash Apprentice
this game has sold way more than 7 million copies. thats a really small percentage like what less than 1 percent?
brawl has probably sold more than melee now due to its popularity in the wii, especially due to melee being a fantastic game. do you guys think that there is a larger percentage of competitive brawlers for the amount of brawl games sold?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
probably. You have to remember that even though over 7 million copies have been sold, people grow out of games. Since melee is just an old game in general it's not too much to think that the general population of gamers would move on from melee.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
you know on yoshi's story when you get hit into the shyguys and sometimes it will be like you DI gets multiplied by 10....?

when does this happen? all the time? do i have to do something special to get this effect? does everyone know what i'm talking about? (i've never read about it or heard anyone say anything about it before).

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
it's not that your DI is increased somehow, it's that you're hitting multiple objects, each of which you can DI off of. multiple chances for changing DI/entering smash DI can lead to some crazy stuff. wasn't there a video of eggz or sw of some shyguy di? too lazy to find it, but yeah.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
hmm, what do you mean you can DI off of objects? So everytime you hit a shyguy you can di "off of it"? and this would include other players I'm guessing in a doubles match or something?

would that be smash DI or regular di?

if its smash DI; so you can input smash DI's everytime your body is overlapping with an "object" and get and effect in guessing is what your saying..

oh wait, "multiple chances for changing Di". So that would be like for example: you get uthrown by fox into a bunch of shyguys and you do not di so you go strait up. then you hit the first shyguy and you hit the control stick left. Now you altered your trajectory to be going up and left a bit (you also got a little SDI, but i'm talking about trajectory di here). Then you hit another shyguy and you hit the control stick down and left- perpendicular to your new trajectory. that gives and even greater amount of leftwards di. Reapeat multiple times and you can end up travelling horizontally left after being uthrown by fox (which I have done before and was really surprised by). I think thats what you mean..

Lovage

Smash Hero
i don't think you have to go to tournaments regularly to be competitive

a "competitive player" is someone who plays a lot and works to get better imo

obviously going to tournaments regularly is the best way to get better, but that's just one side of it.

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
if there were only 500 then that would mean roughly 70% of competitive players attended pound 4.

500/350 = .7 I can't remember exactly how many were at pound though.

but i think much less then 70% wen to pound 4.

I.B

Smash Lord
well, I'm going by players that like to improve, and are interested in the competitive scene, but don't attend tourneys regularly or even semi-regularly.

@gmjack

I'm Canadian :)

U.S is MUCH bigger(population-wise) than Canada - the state of California approximately = Canada's entire population.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
well, I'm going by players that like to improve, and are interested in the competitive scene, but don't attend tourneys regularly or even semi-regularly.
by that defn my numbers are probably close. I know only 1/3rd or less of my crew go to tournaments even once, but i would put all of them in the competitive category. They all try to improve and play at least once a week.

X1-12

Smash Champion
if you plug your GC into a VCR recorder and then that into your TV, you can record matches but it has frames of lag right? so if you had an AV splitter or whatever its called and you plugged one straight into the TV and one into a VCR, would the TV still lag?

Magus420

Smash Master
A regular VCR->TV should not introduce lag between the VCR and the TV. If it is get a VCR that does not upscale or do something weird to the signal before outputting it (which would cause additional lag) and simply passes it through like it should, or realize that it's not actually lagging and is likely the result of a PEBCAC error.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Hey we got our wii in like 2008 and my P**** brother said he was going to get updates will it expode/break? I F***ing hate how I told him like 7 times before he did it and he couldn't even give me a reason why he did it when he knows it could ruin the wii. The only reason he did it it is so he could disargee with me.

But will it break? If it does i'll be a D*** to him every time we play a game. But I still have my melee holder to use and play with.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
^ not if you dont have any hacks on it. if you hack'd your wii, its likely that itll brick if you upgrade to the newest version.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Developers made it so that if you wanted to upsmash you at least have some leeway so that you don't u-air.

That leeway would be the jump animation, the 4-9(Bowser i think has 9?) frames that you can input the A, thus resulting in an upsmash.

Downsmash doesn't work with the jump animation, so you can't use it to jump cancel unfortunately.

Other stuff that works in the same matter as an Upsmash would be grab and upB, because they can also be activated during the jump animation.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Don't even know if this should go here, but why can you JC an up-smash but not a down-smash or forward-smash?
because thats how the game was programmed from the jump start animation you can upsmash and upb. Probably put in because you can't do a grounded upb or usmash without unless maybe youre frame perfect

Top Bottom