• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #19: Distant Planet

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
First off, you can do the instant edge getup here, if you remember it from YS and Pictochat. Also items spawn for glidetossing fun. ALSOOOOO, a good main stage where you you can come from below.

This has been another MrEsc short summary ♪

Noa.

Smash Master
The main area of the stage are nice since you can play shark. >=D I'm not exactly sure how the slope would be useful to G&W. Any uses?

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
it can also go well for bucket breaking,kinda

great for coming down from below the stage

glide tossing i guess lol
there isn't enough straight ground to be gliding on;P

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
I'd give this stage a solid 5/10. The center platform allows for under the stage nair shenanigans, but the items that spawn hurt G&w more than help him, as there isn't enough flat ground on which to glide toss, and the items are fairly powerful. The frog thing on the side (I've never played Pikmin) is deadlier to G&W than most other characters. His get up ability sucks, so if you're knocked onto the thing and you're down, say goodbye to a stock. Not a bad stage for G&W, but it pales in comparison to other counterpicks (RC, GG, and Corneria being the main ones). Avoid it if you can.

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
On the rare chance you actually play on this level, it's decent at best. Shouldn't be hard to fair someone into the giant mouth, however since you're light and bounce around you have a good chance of being eaten also.

Just don't play it, there's nothing good about this stage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is a pretty cool stage; I think it may be deceptively good for Mr. Game & Watch. The under the stage antics here are pretty powerful; you can play on the double ledges really well, and you can approach from beneath at will. The water and pellets let you pretty easily say no to people who want to play near the walk-off. If you get a good lead, camping near the bottom of the slope is pretty powerful; judicious fishbowl use makes you really hard to approach there.

The low platforms in the leaves are pretty good for the key; the fact that the heights aren't static lets you trick people pretty well. Things like charging up smash as they land on the platform and hitting under shields work out really well; subtle shenanigans with the variable height surfaces are pretty strong here.

Attack the flowers to recharge stale moves. I'm pretty sure you can attack the things you can throw pellets into to refresh stale moves as well.

The monster is nearly a non-factor. Gimping (which the monster protects against) is rare on both sides in nearly any matchup here, but the monster is never a good platform to go to voluntarily. Use him as you recover if it happens to be useful, but in general just avoid being on him and treat opponents who choose to be on him as over the edge.

I'm thinking this stage is more like 7/10; it's not your best stage or anything, but Distant Planet seems to be pretty clearly one of the better choices for Mr. Game & Watch. If you want to maintain the option to approach from below, this is the main alternative to Norfair (I like being able to approach from below against Meta Knight personally). This stage is almost never picked so, if you are lucky enough to be at a tournament where it's legal (and there's not really any reason for it to be banned even though it so often is), picking it could probably throw people off.

Top Bottom