• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion #20: Pictochat

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
When you are at high damage, it is always good to stick near the middle, DI up, and bucket brake.

Know the transformations. IE space away and slide into them when the wind comes. Lock them when ever a wall appears... Etc Etc.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
the edges are also useful for G&W :p
as phloat said,stay near the middle

knowing the transformations of the stage can be hard x_x,so something might catch you by surprise
i.e the spikes lol
i say that's a downside,alot of them can kill G&W at low %'s

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
the edges are also useful for G&W :p
as phloat said,stay near the middle

knowing the transformations of the stage can be hard x_x,so something might catch you by surprise
i.e the spikes lol
i say that's a downside,alot of them can kill G&W at low %'s
LOL this got me thinking, has anyone ever used the trumpet to make someone land on the spikes that appear in the middle? HAHAHA

Also why do all the cool glitches only happen on the right side of stages?

GaW's instant get up, kirby's rock stall thing.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I really don't like this stage (to play competitively on) very much, it's alot like Final Destination, except it has hazards that can kill you sometimes if you aren't careful, or get knocked into them somehow. Certain transformations are good for GW (like the tree, ferris wheel, and the whale) but too many of them are unhelpful (bombs, spikes, venus flytrap, wind, freakin' rollercoaster mine cart thing, side spikes). The ceiling here is pretty high, which isn't exactly great for GW either.

Good stuff I guess is that you can Dtilt-gay people against walls, the edges are good for you, and there's plenty of room to bucket brake. And some of the transformations are helpful. Gimping recoveries seems more difficult on this level, probably because you can't see where your opponent is if they drop below the stage.

Overall I'd say the transformations get in the way and hinder your progress more often than they help. I would probably not take super spammy characters (Falco, Pit, etc) here, and I don't know who I WOULD take here, but I wouldn't really CP Pictochat ever anyway. I give this stage a 4/10. It's definitely not awful (GW is not awful on any stage) but you can do ALOT better.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The hazards aren't an issue but the fact that they are unpredictable is uneasy.

I think it is every 13 seconds it switches right?
I have actually grabbed right before the 13 seconds and had the cart on the half pipe appear so it was a free toss into it for the kill.
Kinda nice but good luck recreating it.

It can be a huge lifesaver if the opponent has the momentum against you and the stage gives you a chance to come back. Will happen against you too of course...

The instant edge is great because a majority (at least who I play) don't realize that.

Meh... Nothing bad... nothing that would ever make me want to go here on purpose though...

kigbariom

Smash Lord
1.) This course looks like GaW
2.) This course changes too much at least the way I use GaW, I stick to a solid strategy for every character, which is why I like BF.
3.) This course you are also left with a lot of open space, so someone with projectiles can really raise up the damage if you are not careful. This can result in early deaths.
4.) Use U-air a lot in this course
5.) The off stage game isn't a lot in this course so pulling of spikes may be harder,
6.) The course changing will make it difficult to use an oil spill
7.) 5/10 for this course, F,

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
Not a bad stage but there are certainly better for GaW. The hazards and stage transformations can really help you out, and you have moves to force people into them. The hazard where a million platforms appear is very useful for GaW. The missiles are gay but you can put them to your advantage easily. The spikes are easy to d-tilt people into and then combo a turtle easily if they fly up. High ceilings good for bucket braking.

Not a bad stage, but there are better.

cutter

Smash Champion
I have never really liked this stage... I just can't seem to pinpoint why.

Obviously it's not a terrible stage for G&W, but there are better stages for him.

A lot of people in my area seem to like Pictochat though, so I've allowed it as a counterpick at my tourney this weekend.

ZesuBen

Smash Journeyman
Hi. New to this board. Anyway...

Wouldn't it be more helpful to discuss each of the individual changes as opposed to the changes overall as one big hazard? Or would that be overdoing it?

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Well, unlike other stages, there are more transformations with less time... so planning on any of them is wasteful. Welcome to the GaW boards.

Also, if you jump on any trampoline thing, and instantly dair, you can go to the bottom without bounces....

Nifty.

I like this level for doubles =B

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
PictoChat is a very fair level that offers very few advantages for characters in general, but I like it more for Mr. Game & Watch than most others. You can hit through the temporary walls pretty easily, and on any given form that may seem like a problem you can probably camp it out (like on the sailboat form, just stay under the "water" and crouch to be totally safe from almost everything outside of the water). I think the low ledges are a bit better to ledgestall than normal ledges, but that is probably preference. I could write a ton about this stage by going through each drawing, but there are a lot of them. I have a lot of experience here though so if anyone wants to talk about any individual drawing, I could get into it.

Overall this stage is probably 6/10. I like it and would never ban it, but I'm not going to counterpick it except on a "good feeling".

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I like the drawings with walls =D...

Your back is to the wall, and you aren't gonna die. Their back to the wall, and they are gonna get d-tilt locked. Mainly talking about that one big / through the screen drawing.

D-tilt goes really far off the ledge if you angle down, although it really isn't that useful compared to regular Fair edgeguarding...

K 2

Smash Lord
The side death zones are really close in. I find fair and sourspot dsmash killing really early on this stage.

I just look at this stage like Final Destination with really high ceilings and tight side death zones. Other than throwing your opponent into hazards, there's not much to this stage. Transformations are great for dtilt locking, and you can camp under certain transformations really easily.

Splice

Smash Hero
When the stage breathes wind on you, its bad for G&W and all the spikes and dangerous things are pretty bad for him, but the edges and a few of the transformations work for him, and I actually find the dangerous cart on a slide thing useful, because i can hit people into it quite well, for example they jump towards me, I run under them and trumpet them up into it (just don't get hit by it yourself).

pheX

Smash Apprentice

I think it is ridicilious that Picto chat isn't banned. It a stage with random elements that
can decide match, and that you can't really get used to.
It has been banned in Germany like forever and i think it should be banned in any ruleset..

However, Pictochat is a disadvantages for any character. I'd say that GnW doesn't suffer that much. So it isn't bad but aint a great choice either,

Top Bottom