• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official G&W Stage Discussion Index! - PS 1 complete Pictochat and DP in progress!

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
you know for the cornea. i think the only thing that can actually touch you there is olimar because he camps at the top of the point and when you try to approach him he will up smash or side smash you to bits. other than him you have a fairly well chance over there

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I suggest we hit up the lovely and obscure Distant Planet next, but maybe someone else has a better suggestion.

Also, since this "bucket braking" thing still hasn't made it clear just how much it's going to change things, I suggest we put off Jungle Japes for a while so we can get some tournament results that might show just how useful it really is.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't understand why Green Greens is 10/10 and Corneria is 9/10. Corneria is just as or better then Green greens for GW :/. Seriously, 0% kills and dtilt locks just give GW a huge advantage over pretty much every character in the game save snake.

jog

Smash Journeyman
hylian had his funny moment with telling that kid he could bucket the laser on Halbard.

so here's my own story but still not at epic.

i was playing a kid at HOBO 13 in friendlies and he went Dedede and i was using G&W and we went to yoshi's story (brawl)
and he kept Up-B spamming so when we were close to the edge of the stage he used Up-B and on his way down i used Up-air and just hit him with the puffs of air and pushed him right off the stage to his demise, i also proceeded to lmao :)

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
hylian had his funny moment with telling that kid he could bucket the laser on Halbard.

so here's my own story but still not at epic.

i was playing a kid at HOBO 13 in friendlies and he went Dedede and i was using G&W and we went to yoshi's story (brawl)
and he kept Up-B spamming so when we were close to the edge of the stage he used Up-B and on his way down i used Up-air and just hit him with the puffs of air and pushed him right off the stage to his demise, i also proceeded to lmao :)
Hahaha. I love ledgehopping uair against DDD's up B. Soooo good :).

K 2

Smash Lord
I don't think anyone's read the announcement on the first page...so...

Do you guys want me to make a list of CP's for specific characters? I plan to do this after we finish the stage discussions. This should be a lot quicker than the stage discussions. Just an idea.

I.e.

Falco:
CP: Rainbow Cruise
Ban: Jungle Japes

Tero.

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone's read the announcement on the first page...so...

Do you guys want me to make a list of CP's for specific characters? I plan to do this after we finish the stage discussions. This should be a lot quicker than the stage discussions. Just an idea.

I.e.

Falco:
CP: Rainbow Cruise
Ban: Jungle Japes
Yeah def good idea

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
K2 thats a great idea, but I'd list at least 2 CP's in case one gets banned and possibly the best and worst neutral to give us an idea of what to do when we make strikes. =p

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hey, I suggested that in the BR!

Yea, I don't have the time to do it. 4 Projects in school, IB is hard, studying for tests and stuff..

I like the idea K2, get to work =]. Make sure to get some solid opinions and facts before posting who to CP where.

K 2

Smash Lord
I suggested it...like a month ago. I'll start on it after I get done with most of the stage discussions.

5 AP clases, + upcoming AMC, + science fair. I'm soooo busy, but I still find time to spend hours of Smashboards.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I suggested it...like a month ago. I'll start on it after I get done with most of the stage discussions.

5 AP clases, + upcoming AMC, + science fair. I'm soooo busy, but I still find time to spend hours of Smashboards.
6 AP Classes + 2 Upcoming AMCs + 5 science fairs. I'm busier.

I suggested it a month and 3 days ago.

>

K 2

Smash Lord
Here's the official SBR recommended stage list:

stage Lists

starter
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

starter/counter
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise

Pokémon Stadium 1 <- This is what we are currently discussing.

counter
Brinstar
Corneria

Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair

Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (pipes)

counter/banned
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

banned
75m
Big Blue
Bridge Of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom Ii
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware
So...we are almost done. My question to you guys. Which of the remaining stages (in cyan) do you want to discuss? I have never seen some stages (Mario Circuit, Onett, Port Town Aero Dive, Skyworld) legal at a tourney, so I don't think its worth discussing them. Nobody ever plays on those stages, so there's no point in discussing them. That leaves Yoshi's Island (Pipes), PS 2, Distant Planet, Green Hill Zone, and Pictochat left.

Here's my question (mainly directed at experienced tournament players), which of the remaining stages have you seen legal at a tourney? If any of the stages are banned regularly, I'm not going to discuss them. If they are sometimes banned and sometimes legal, do you guys still want to discuss them, or do you want to move on to the stage-character counterpick discussion?

I feel we should definately discuss pictochat and maybe distant planet, but I'm not too sure about the others. If you guys want though, we can discuss all of them for a "liberal" stage list.

Opinions/Suggestions?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have experience on all of those stages and would love to discuss them all. Pokemon Stadium 2 and PictoChat are definitely required, and I really want to discuss Distant Planet (very good, very fair level more people need to be willing to pester TOs about). There's really no harm in doing too many though; once we get to the more questionable ones, we could just do two at once under the assumption of lower content but to have something for them.

K 2

Smash Lord
Thanks for the video Mr. Escalator! I just added it to the Pirate Ship Summary.

sonic 12111

Smash Journeyman
For jungle japes actually ike has a decent horizontal recovery. his quickdraw thing is pretty decent. It can recover like half a fd stage.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Nah. You just gotta go out there with him. He will whif if you are too high, too low, or airdodging.. and if you sit there and get hit.

Vinnie

Smash Master
MUST RE-EVALUATE BRINSTAR. Seriously, I've been CPing it for a while. I just 3 stocked this MK that I had close matches with, and the person had the tag "Izumi". People tell me that it's MasterDaveNo1. Shark nairs own.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
thx so much, this guide helped a lot, i feel like an idiot now for picking those stages... no wonder why i lose... friendlies...

mustard g&w

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4639-9942-4908
Agreed this thread needs to be brought back to life (its so old). It would be awesome if we had new discussion on the stages especially on the mlg stagelist.

TheHebrewHammer

Smash Apprentice
Bringing this back alive.
Questions: Anyone play on Green Greens? How is it for you guys personally? From what I read it's easier to stay on the sides, but I feel more safe in the middle?
I use both, the sides are for characters that can be dthrow to dsmashed. The wind tree helps me mind game a kill sometimes cause you can do moving smashes. Key can kill at 100 on this stage. dtilt lock on the blocks etc.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
Agreed this thread needs to be brought back to life (its so old). It would be awesome if we had new discussion on the stages especially on the mlg stagelist.
Yus please! I'd like to discuss the MLG stagelist as well.

@Hebrew, Yeah! I really enjoy dtilt with the blocks. I've been playing more and more here and I don't mind it as much as being on the sides. Still a little frighten because even though I can kill early, so can they. Definitely my MK counterpick, though. The wind also helped with d-throw techs. They try and roll away they can blown right back in. Either way, still working on this stage but I'm loving it!! I had played it so much at Smashfests and WiFi.

Question: Would you guys take an MK to Brinstar or RC?

It's his good stage, too. An MK purposely took me to RC and I kind of two-stocked him. He doesn't travel to many tournaments, though so it's not saying much at all. But when it's my turn to CP going against an MK I fear of CPing RC and Brinstar even though those two are my best stages. So I try and CP something else that I'm not use to but may be bad for him and end up losing or barely winning because of not being use to the stage. Someone told me I should just go with stages I'm comfortable with more so,but I'm still scared. XD; What do you guys do? Sorry to bombrush with questions and such!! But it'd be lovely for opinions!

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I used to CP MKs to Norfair, til that got banned.

I always get ***** in Brinstar and RC vs MK. I usually CP them to Frigate, or Castle Siege to switch it up every once in a while.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I think it'd be a really good idea to update the list with at least PictoChat and Pokemon Stadium 2, as those are recommended counterpicks by SBR. Maybe Distant Planet afterwards since that may be a counterpick in some tournaments.

I have a feeling that Pokemon Stadium 2 is a relatively good one for G&W, just because things like ice may help when it comes to landing a smash or wind can help an aerial game. Those are just my first thoughts, maybe I'll change my mind later since I've pretty much just started playing that stage again recently.

And, I <3 PictoChat lol. Before it started getting banned, it was my novel cp of choice after Hanenbow bit the dust. While I don't have the data atm, Pictochat seems to have fairly short blast zones and so is a natural thought to begin with, but the effects of the forms will have to be assessed.

Rajam

Smash Champion
Yus please! I'd like to discuss the MLG stagelist as well.

@Hebrew, Yeah! I really enjoy dtilt with the blocks. I've been playing more and more here and I don't mind it as much as being on the sides. Still a little frighten because even though I can kill early, so can they. Definitely my MK counterpick, though. The wind also helped with d-throw techs. They try and roll away they can blown right back in. Either way, still working on this stage but I'm loving it!! I had played it so much at Smashfests and WiFi.

Question: Would you guys take an MK to Brinstar or RC?

It's his good stage, too. An MK purposely took me to RC and I kind of two-stocked him. He doesn't travel to many tournaments, though so it's not saying much at all. But when it's my turn to CP going against an MK I fear of CPing RC and Brinstar even though those two are my best stages. So I try and CP something else that I'm not use to but may be bad for him and end up losing or barely winning because of not being use to the stage. Someone told me I should just go with stages I'm comfortable with more so,but I'm still scared. XD; What do you guys do? Sorry to bombrush with questions and such!! But it'd be lovely for opinions!
I would take MK to RC; the blast zones are closer (In the upper part, you can kill MK with uair lol), In the ship you can infinite him with the dtilt, and the stage itself is more about aerial fight, where I think the MK vs G&W matchup is closer. As always watch out for MK's up+b and dsmash...

I think Halberd is also a good stage to fight against MK. Although Halberd is in general terms a bad stage for G&W, the upper blast zone is one of the smallest in the game, so you can kill MK with tech-chased up smashes at really low percents

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
I think it'd be a really good idea to update the list with at least PictoChat and Pokemon Stadium 2, as those are recommended counterpicks by SBR. Maybe Distant Planet afterwards since that may be a counterpick in some tournaments.

I have a feeling that Pokemon Stadium 2 is a relatively good one for G&W, just because things like ice may help when it comes to landing a smash or wind can help an aerial game. Those are just my first thoughts, maybe I'll change my mind later since I've pretty much just started playing that stage again recently.

And, I <3 PictoChat lol. Before it started getting banned, it was my novel cp of choice after Hanenbow bit the dust. While I don't have the data atm, Pictochat seems to have fairly short blast zones and so is a natural thought to begin with, but the effects of the forms will have to be assessed.
Yus! I'm stage training hardcore! Lol. XP And I've tried out PS2. And I loooove iiiit. Dair/uair on the windphase. Ice phase sliding smashes. Ung. It's great!

Also, I never really understood PictoChat. I just never enjoyed it. :( It's hard to kill vertically. And ung.

@Sambo, Yoshi's Island Melee is legal at MLG? Whaa?

@Rajam, So you feel as though RC is better than Brinstar?
And I never really liked playing Halberd with GnW.

I think for MLG my counterpicks are going to be Green Greens (what I'll shoot for.), Rainbow Cruise, and Brinstar.
And if Yoshi Pipes is legal I'm going there, too. Lol. Although, I don't remember seeing it legal.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=270499

There's a thread with a lot of good data on PictoChat. I guess the top blast zone is slightly higher than Final Destination, but not enough to matter a whole lot. There's always the possibility of killing off the top while on one of the forms though too. I feel like G&W is good on this stage for being able to navigate around with up-b and such, but I don't have a more in-depth answer at the moment..

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the ceiling is that bad, someone in that thread said you'll have to get 2%~ more or so to kill, which isn't too bad imo. I'll have to test it out as well and get some tidbits.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
A couple of tidbits to begin with:

1. For the flower part, bair and nair often knock enemies into the flower hitboxes.

2. The diagonal line seems to be decent for G&W, since if he's under the line and the opponent is above it, you can just nair through it and the opponent has to travel to the top. Then it should also be an advantage when they drop down to attack you. Another thing to note is it's probably possible to dtilt lock in the bottom left corner there, but I can't confirm it.

Top Bottom