• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Japanese Everything Thread: Sakurai Famitsu Interview - Translators needed!

LuigiTendo

Smash Apprentice
Like Yoshi's Egg, sometimes Jigglypuff's Standard Smash, it can carry over the edge, and may not be easy to cancel

Penguyen

Smash Journeyman
it's kind of a shame, i was hoping withdraw would be a little more interesting or unique. Question about water gun, is it more like a stream of water or is it similar to the individual water blasts that melee blastoise shoots out? Also when you said it was similar to samus' charged beam, did you mean it was charged the same way or is it more like link's bow?

Pkaz01

Smash Cadet
I'm sad.. his description of squirtle sounded like squirtle sucked and I planned on playing him as my main pokemon. :( Oh well I'm still going to main olimar. Pikmin ftw.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
My pleasure! I skipped over the character impressions because I think you already covered them.

Post 107:
* A Nintendo rep reconfirmed that, yes, Brawl WILL be released in Japan on the 24th.

Post 237:
* Reconfirmation of "Theme of Samus Aran - Galactic Warrior" as a Norfair BGM.

Post 502:
* Dedede's voice was the same as in the Japanese anime. (Personally, I would be a little miffed if we got that Southern drawl from the U.S. version of the anime in Brawl.)

Post 301:
* Sounds like edgeguarding is the only purpose that F.L.U.D.D. will serve.

Post 537:
* When PT wins, the trainer himself is absent; the last-used Pokemon appears on the victory screen in his stead.

Post 229:
* Battlefield BGM: SSBB Theme (difficult to hear because he only caught 15 seconds or so)
* Battleship Halberd BGM: Gourmet Race
* WarioWare BGM: WarioWare Inc. - Title Theme
* Delfino Plaza BGM: Delfino Plaza
* Smashville BGM: Animal Crossing - Title Theme
* Castle Siege BGM: (Some sort of FE battle medley)
* Temple BGM: Temple (same as in Melee)

Post 328:
* AT: Some sort of pink rabbit with a drill...probably Jill from Drill Dozer
* AT: Some FE character with a sword
* Pokeball: Latios (and Latias)
* Pokeball: Metagross (does Earthquake)

Post 635:
* AT: Sothe (when he appears, he calls out to Ike, his leader, swearing to beat the opponent)
* Pokeball: Pachirisu (releases a flurry of hearts that immobilizes opponents...probably Charm or Sweet Kiss)

Like I said, I generally avoided character impressions because they take longer, I'm tired, and I think most of it was covered by ITP's own impressions and other translations last night (I recognized some of the entries). Hope that helps! :grin:

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Awesome, good to hear that people don't consider it too slow or floaty. That was one of my biggest concerns with Brawl.

ITP mentions that Peach can double jump cancel and it is really short and fast. If you could double jump cancel (and it is short and fast) and immediately fast fall and air dodge it seems that would create what is similar to a Melee wavedash. If more characters (it seems they changed quite a bit in the japanese demos!) can double jump cancel, this means there is a possibility that wavedashing will still be a big part of the game. It really wouldn't be much harder either, you would just have to hit jump twice really fast instead of just once.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Also, thanks for the write-ups everyone!

Jash Thor

Smash Cadet
Looking at the character selection screen, it seems that only 30 fighter icons can fit comfortably. Will the icon sizes be shrunk prior to release or will the icons continue down the sides of the player boxes (when secret characters are unlocked)?

deadmon

Smash Cadet
thanks Aeris!

So PT does sound pretty fun to use, I'm glad. Wish more Kirby impressions were available though.
Assist Trophy: FE character with sword (lolol theres a lot of those), maybe Lyn? Or Eddie?
Halberd with that song?haha..

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Awesome, good to hear that people don't consider it too slow or floaty. That was one of my biggest concerns with Brawl.

ITP mentions that Peach can double jump cancel and it is really short and fast. If you could double jump cancel (and it is short and fast) and immediately fast fall and air dodge it seems that would create what is similar to a Melee wavedash. If more characters (it seems they changed quite a bit in the japanese demos!) can double jump cancel, this means there is a possibility that wavedashing will still be a big part of the game. It really wouldn't be much harder either, you would just have to hit jump twice really fast instead of just once.

from Gimpy's E4All Impressions:
On a side note (something we didn't really have time to experiment with) it seems like peach would legitimately be able to wave dash back and forth because of this technique combined with the shortened height of float canceling, which means that peach (or somebody else with a double jump cancel, if other characters can do it) will be able to wave dash back and forth quickly
Aeris said:
AT: Sothe (when he appears, he calls out to Ike, his leader, swearing to beat the opponent)
Strange, what if you use him on a 1v1 and your opponent is Ike. Thanks for the translations though. Yeah, I'm tired too.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Looking at the character selection screen, it seems that only 30 fighter icons can fit comfortably. Will the icon sizes be shrunk prior to release or will the icons continue down the sides of the player boxes?
One of those questions we'll have to answer after release...

And boxes running down the side would be a horrible decision. lol.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
The character boxes will probably be smaller in the final version, either that or they'll get smaller as you unlock more.

A character roster of 39 - would be extremely disappointing.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Originally Posted by LeeHarris View Post

from Gimpy's E4All Impressions:

On a side note (something we didn't really have time to experiment with) it seems like peach would legitimately be able to wave dash back and forth because of this technique combined with the shortened height of float canceling, which means that peach (or somebody else with a double jump cancel, if other characters can do it) will be able to wave dash back and forth quickly

That is FC though, not DJC. DJC may apply to several characters while FC would only apply to Peach. And it would seem that a FC inspired wavedash would be slower and less efficient than a DJC wavedash. I could be crazy though ;)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
thanks Aeris!

So PT does sound pretty fun to use, I'm glad. Wish more Kirby impressions were available though.
Assist Trophy: FE character with sword (lolol theres a lot of those), maybe Lyn? Or Eddie?
Halberd with that song?haha..
Post 266:
* Seems as though Kirby has been overall improved.
* His aerial Hammer is two consecutive hits--much different from its Melee counterpart.
* The reach of the Hammer, both on the ground and in the air, has been slightly diminished.
* The poster felt that the reach of Final Cutter was also reduced a little.
* Kirby's Stone does not last quite as long as in Melee.

I think there are others, but I need to sleep...back to school tomorrow. :ohwell:

And @ ShortFuse: I think the translation was in reference to Sothe when summoned by Ike. Hope that helps!

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya know, all of that space on the right and left in the demo screens is probably from the demos being in 16:9. 'Cause, if you remember the screen in the With Anyone update:

You could fit about 21 on that screen so...ya, they probably shrink. :/

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Thanks Aeris. Youko will be happy to know the original Temple song is back. (Me too, it's my favorite song in Melee)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Thanks Aeris. Youko will be happy to know the original Temple song is back. (Me too, it's my favorite song in Melee)
Well, it was actually kind of alluded to that it would return in the first "Melee Stages" update, but I suppose this is a more direct reconfirmation. ;)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
Well, it was actually kind of alluded to that it would return in the first "Melee Stages" update, but I suppose this is a more direct reconfirmation. ;)
Well, in last weeks podcast Youko (i think it was Youko) was saying he prefers the original and was hoping it would come back.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
I didn't notice any wavelanding, but I didn't really try. sorry, It's probably in.

I don't think the DJC can be used to do that, It's not THAT fast.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
is the speed of Kirbys inhale attack improved from melee?
I think It's the same.

and btw, I didn't exactly perfectly describe the dragoon. the cursor is a bit slidey, and everyone sees it when you get it. so if you don't act quickly you won't get them. but if you do... I got 3 kos on one hit with hit.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
man I.T.P., still answering questions? you are a machine dude!

any chance you played as meta knight at all? how did you like the feel of him, if you did?
I'm in japan, and saving trip money by resting(heck, I was just in the military for 3 years, I deserve to kick back), so questions are no biggy for me :p

sorry, didn't play him. but he seemed to lack KO power from things I saw. Pretty monstrous otherwise, and one a lot of fights.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
I'm in japan, and saving trip money by resting(heck, I was just in the military for 3 years, I deserve to kick back), so questions are no biggy for me :p

sorry, didn't play him. but he seemed to lack KO power from things I saw. Pretty monstrous otherwise, and one a lot of fights.
ah well fair enough, thanks dude =) now resume your kicking back

Top Bottom