• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Link Question and Answer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
GOOD NEWS EVERYBODY

There has been a research thread created. in the tactical and general discussion areas.

THEY ARE LOOKING FOR RESEARCHERS. GO THERE AND SIGN UP IF YOU WANT TO BE ONE.

Once they find researches, I will be asking about DAC frame data there since I could not find it anywhere before.

Thus I will better be able to answer this question and other questions regarding DAC.

I will put the information in the 1st post and create an announcement sections for things like this.
Just posted in there, I think I did well on the "test" question for the contest.

sasook

Smash Champion
Uh yeah, question about the DAC. Can you get it to go farther/shorter on a whim? I know it has to do something the timing.
If you "space out" the inputs evenly, it goes farther. The more choppy your input is, the less distance you go. I hope that makes sense.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Does anyone know if there's an easy way or some weird cute trick to land both your ledge-hop F-Air hits on someone? I see Legan & Izaw do it all the time in the heat of tournaments no problem. I have crazy trouble even doing it in Practice mode alone. Is there some trick to doing it other than being 1337.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Does anyone know if there's an easy way or some weird cute trick to land both your ledge-hop F-Air hits on someone? I see Legan & Izaw do it all the time in the heat of tournaments no problem. I have crazy trouble even doing it in Practice mode alone. Is there some trick to doing it other than being 1337.
IIRC, you hold away from the stage instead of doing a ledgedrop.

_Saint_

Smash Apprentice
Which one of Link's moves should I spam the most? (Not that I like to spam...)

~Saint~

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
So it's just a matter of speed? Do you have any special button configs for it or anything? Using C-Stick...A Button?

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
I have some noob questions...

For the AA-smash or AA-tilt etc.... is there a proper way to be doing this? Is all you do is AA, then wait til animation is done > fsmash?

Also, how do you jab-lock? Is it sheerly just timing?

And last, if you could explain the DAC a little further sasook, thatd be good cuz i still dont entirely get it..

D

Deleted member

yea you just wait for the animation to end OR you can jab cancel. press A,A DOWN, tilt/smash/whatever

jab locking is basically locking your opponent in the wobble animation so yes its merely timing

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
so this jab cancel... i hit DOWN right after pressing the second A?

And whats the advantage?
Hitting down is an optional way to do it. If you hit down after you second jab it makes completely sure you can land your Throw, Tilt or Smash perfectly without worrying about accidentally undershooting it and releasing the third jab....since inputting a new command breaks up the cancel... You can do it perfectly fine if you just time when the Jab animation auto-cancels on the second hit to do your third...it's not hard once you practice it for 30 minutes in training. It makes me wonder now though...if you get good at pressing down lightning fast if you can actually do the jab cancel faster maybe preventing shielders from shielding.

Anyone know for certain? Arkive?

I've got a few questions of my own...what are the best things to do when you break someones shield? What do you normally do Arkive...looking at the past.

Also, what is the official name of the double down-smash with the assist of the gale boomerang? I've been calling it the Toon Link surprise

sasook

Smash Champion
if you get good at pressing down lightning fast if you can actually do the jab cancel faster maybe preventing shielders from shielding.
Reminds me of Ike players. I played this guy online, Renegade, and jeez, this guy jab cancels at lightning speeds. If that was online, it's scary how fast his jab cancels would be offline.

Also, what is the official name of the double down-smash with the assist of the gale boomerang? I've been calling it the Toon Link surprise
I don't think it has an official name.

And last, if you could explain the DAC a little further sasook, thatd be good cuz i still dont entirely get it..
Well it's all timing. I remember when I first tried learning it, I ended up with a lot of missed grabs. It'll become muscle memory in time.

Let's see...how do I explain this....

When Link does a dash attack from using the C stick down, once his sword is halfway through his arc, press upZ.

If you press it too early, you get a missed grab I think. And if you're too late, a very short DAC. I could be mistaken, my memory is somewhat faulty about this. That's what I meant by spacing the inputs out evenly.

Just practice, practice, practice. Turning tap jump on/off does nothing for the DAC. As you get better at it, you'll be able to do it faster. For some reason, I found that doing the DAC is easier after a bthrow. Dunno why, but maybe that'll help you. And it's a double plus, because bthrow -> DAC sometimes works in matches.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Reminds me of Ike players. I played this guy online, Renegade, and jeez, this guy jab cancels at lightning speeds. If that was online, it's scary how fast his jab cancels would be offline.
Indeed. I'm glad my friend (who mains Ike) hasn't learned to jab cancel. I'm trying to get my jab cancels that fast. Just takes practice. I'm getting it though. And the DAC thing, I have no clue but I believe sasook covered it quite nicely. As far as things into DAC (DAC combos into nothing) Bthrow, Bair, rang, fair (sometimes) and ..... that's about it lol DAC isn't to great.

Totally random, but does anyone see Link's Utilt spiking? Like, right at the end of the animation? I think it would work. Any thoughts?

sasook

Smash Champion
Totally random, but does anyone see Link's Utilt spiking? Like, right at the end of the animation? I think it would work. Any thoughts?
That happens when the opponent is DI'ing down. It works for several upwards moves, my friend spiked me with his utilt (he was Marth) once, straight into the stage. I've seen it happen with another character too, I think it was Luigi, I'm not sure. But yeah, it depends on the person's DI.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Marth's Utilt can semi spike but I can't get this little scene out of my head. I can see it though. Idk, I just need to get that out lol

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Actually, I was replying to NintenJoe, but we posted at the same time lol I'll test the DI thing. If it holds true, it'll be like Sonic's Up Smash spike. Mindgames right there.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
It would be easier to block or DI away from IRL. He'd get the jabs in the same speed because WiFi goes just as fast as normal play. The difference would be that you would gain the ability to DI and perfect shield without any lag, allowing you to escape quicker.
But Ike is a beast of WiFi, no johns, because I like playing Ike, online and offline.

D

Deleted member

whenever i break somebody's shield huh?

low %'s - charged dbl dsmash

kill %'s - fully charged fsmash

sasook

Smash Champion
It would be easier to block or DI away from IRL. He'd get the jabs in the same speed because WiFi goes just as fast as normal play. The difference would be that you would gain the ability to DI and perfect shield without any lag, allowing you to escape quicker.
Oh, I didn't know that it would be easier offline. Still though, I mean......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmToIdtPywk

At like 0:10, no one can say this guy does not jab cancel at lightning speeds.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
At like 0:10, no one can say this guy does not jab cancel at lightning speeds.
Forgive me if I sound mean, but that has little to do with what I was saying. Any combos whatever are easier to deal with offline than online because you actually have time and the opportunity to react. Nothing I said had anything to with whether he jab cancels like Meta Knight on caffeine or like Bowser's fsmash lag.
Meh, I suck at humor.

Finns7

Smash Ace
^ this is true, when I played ren It was much harder to get out of the cancels but offline when my friend does them I can get out easier...Ren is better then my friend though but a jab cancel is a jab cancel so idk. If you play online much more then you play offline I do think its possible to ajust and learn to di out of **** situations (only if the connection is smooth though).

Finns7

Smash Ace
I dont want to contribute to spam right now so Im askin why dont we have a ffa or 2v2 Link board brawl every friday or saturday night. We could make a thread and make teams for the week and as the teams practice through the weak theyll test their skillz on the saturday or friday night and we will see what team is superior
Me and Arkive vs every body else for the first week how about it...

sasook

Smash Champion
I get Legan......

he's my idol.

I dun care if he dont haz wii, i'll take on both of you 2v1!! lol

D

Deleted member

Link has the most At's hands down

dolphins and i will absolutely wreck every single team out there, sorry guys

JV4's all around

Ritch

Smash Journeyman
lol looks liek we could really get something going, maybe we should meet up at a chat or something to get some matches done. will a topic be made for this too if we're going along with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom