• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR 2010 NTSC Tier List

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i don't think she's better than Sheik. comparable tourney viability as Marth

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
So you say Puff is top 5 then?

And just because the characters are all very good/possibly relatively even in potential doesn't mean some can't be better than the others. It's worth picking a side/order over anyway, in my opinion.

the_CAM_factor

Smash Journeyman
the ct smash ludus... or ecsu when im at school
as for puff being top 5, im not even sure about that. we have puff falcon and even peach competing in my head for that spot and each of them has their own benefits and draw backs. hell all the chars do and makes the top of the tiers super close, atleast how i see it. {still a scrub}

Niko45

Smash Master
I still think Puff is 3rd until all the bad stages are eliminated.

More interesting is where does Peach fall. Can the best shield pressure in the game really not be top tier?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
^ Puff gets Brinstar I guess, but has to deal with Rainbow Cruise/Stadium counterpicks from spacies? That doesn't seem like a huge difference to me.

Peach has the best shield pressure? Are you referring to when you actually get to fair a shield? She doesn't really have a way to force that situation consistently, unlike the space animals.

I think she has losing to even matchups with the other top/high tiers in NTSC, which makes her a step below top.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
lower than she currently is... no way is she better than marth and sheik....
i don't think she's better than Sheik. comparable tourney viability as Marth

Why?

as for puff being top 5, im not even sure about that. we have puff falcon and even peach competing in my head for that spot and each of them has their own benefits and draw backs. hell all the chars do and makes the top of the tiers super close, atleast how i see it. {still a scrub}
what benefits and drawbacks? You can be a scrub(improving imo), but you can also have theories that you can at least somewhat support. =)

I still think Puff is 3rd until all the bad stages are eliminated.

More interesting is where does Peach fall. Can the best shield pressure in the game really not be top tier?
Aren't most of the "bad" stages gone though? What about the ban we get vs her?

Maybe the best shield pressure doesn't measure up because defensive mechanics are still pretty good in Melee. Or maybe because the rest of the character is slow and has a projectile that's hard to acquire and only gets one slow shot per usage.

Mr Wizzrobe

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion top 4 should always be Fox, Sheik, Marth, Falco, not necessarily in that order. They are the characters with the most potential, the best matchups, and the most options at any given time.

the_CAM_factor

Smash Journeyman
the ct smash ludus... or ecsu when im at school
lol pp one question at a time please, haha jk ill do my best to answer even though im not as knowledgeable as everyone else.

Puff- in my opinion puff does not belong where she does for the main reason being her matchups. she arguably has losing matchups to these chars: fox, marth, falco, ics, and of course young link. Furthermore, she has other matchups such as falcon, ganon and sheik that ive heard argued either way, to a lesser extant. puff just has alot of hard match ups as i see it, harder than the rest of the top tiers. yes she is obviously better than some of these characters but the fact exists that a majority of this cast can really mess her up. there is a reason why hbox is the only top level puff player out there currently, many emerging jiggs players drop the character simply because they use the excuse "oh that char has a good match up against me, its way too hard to win." hbox play style almost reminds me of m2ks, because he kinda just waits around and baits, waiting for that for a mistake than goes super crazy with punishes.
i believe marth and shiek have alot of potential and deserve a higher spot than her. ill expand later after ive thought about it. if im wrong about anything let me know, im willing to learn

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would put puff below sheik and above marth.

Spacies obviously taking 1 and 2 spots, sheik would get the 3rd because of her strong versatility, simple combos, strong edgeguard, ridiculous hitboxes, and basically the best overall stats in the game (weight, roll, dodge, jump, duck, speed, ect).

Puff would get the 4th in my mind because of the semi-self sufficient bair as well as rest combos. Her weaknesses really revolve around speed and certain hitbox coverages, which is something that puts her below the other 3 in my mind. Marth would get 5th because hes obviously better than peach and falcon and such. I think hes worse than puff slightly since he is very weak in the air and lacks a solid kill move outside of edgeguards.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Seconded especially since he's part of the Kage phanclub. He dares to say I've done nothing for the community when obviously it's the opposite.

Like they always say.. the others are a good reflection for yourself.
I wasnt aware i had a fanboy looking at everything i posted :troll:

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
In my opinion top 4 should always be Fox, Sheik, Marth, Falco, not necessarily in that order. They are the characters with the most potential, the best matchups, and the most options at any given time.
Why?

lol pp one question at a time please, haha jk ill do my best to answer even though im not as knowledgeable as everyone else.

Puff- in my opinion puff does not belong where she does for the main reason being her matchups. she arguably has losing matchups to these chars: fox, marth, falco, ics, and of course young link. Furthermore, she has other matchups such as falcon, ganon and sheik that ive heard argued either way, to a lesser extant. puff just has alot of hard match ups as i see it, harder than the rest of the top tiers. yes she is obviously better than some of these characters but the fact exists that a majority of this cast can really mess her up. there is a reason why hbox is the only top level puff player out there currently, many emerging jiggs players drop the character simply because they use the excuse "oh that char has a good match up against me, its way too hard to win." hbox play style almost reminds me of m2ks, because he kinda just waits around and baits, waiting for that for a mistake than goes super crazy with punishes.
i believe marth and shiek have alot of potential and deserve a higher spot than her. ill expand later after ive thought about it. if im wrong about anything let me know, im willing to learn
Just post what you think man. How else will you know how much you know or get a great chance to learn? =)

Why does losing to each of those characters you mentioned affect her so badly? Where does it put her in relation to every other higher-tiered character?

Should all puffs play like Hbox to be successful then?

Be sure to answer these types of questions when fleshing out your opinions so people can fully understand why you're saying what you are. You also develop a solid understanding and backing behind your ideas that way. =)

I would put puff below sheik and above marth.

Spacies obviously taking 1 and 2 spots, sheik would get the 3rd because of her strong versatility, simple combos, strong edgeguard, ridiculous hitboxes, and basically the best overall stats in the game (weight, roll, dodge, jump, duck, speed, ect).

Puff would get the 4th in my mind because of the semi-self sufficient bair as well as rest combos. Her weaknesses really revolve around speed and certain hitbox coverages, which is something that puts her below the other 3 in my mind. Marth would get 5th because hes obviously better than peach and falcon and such. I think hes worse than puff slightly since he is very weak in the air and lacks a solid kill move outside of edgeguards.
Why doesn't Sheik get to contest the spacies if her stats are so good?

What exactly do you mean by "semi-self sufficient bair?"

Could Puff's superior aerial mobility make up for her lack of mobility in general?

Certain hitbox coverages?

Why are these Marth weaknesses worse than Puff's weaknesses? What about tippered Fsmash as a kill move? What about comboing into a kill/gimping to make up for difficulty killing at higher %s?

In my opinion:

S:
Fox > Falco > Sheik > Marth/Jigglypuff

A:
Peach > Captain Falcon > Ice Climbers
Why?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
pp's questions putting people's opinions ON BLASS.

i am just glad ic's are in their own tier. very fitting for them. hahaha. such a unique character, and they force opponents to play weirdly.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Why doesn't Sheik get to contest the spacies if her stats are so good?
Shine.

What exactly do you mean by "semi-self sufficient bair?"
In many ways the bair protects itself. I added "semi" mid posting since thats not really true, but it can be in the right conditions

Could Puff's superior aerial mobility make up for her lack of mobility in general?
I think this is one of the reasons she is so high to begin with. Her attacks arent that exceptional themselves, but her aerial mobility really adds a lot of depth.

Certain hitbox coverages?
gaps in hitboxes. Like most characters she is weak from below and also fairly weak covering above. her strengths are covering the horizontal.

Why are these Marth weaknesses worse than Puff's weaknesses? What about tippered Fsmash as a kill move? What about comboing into a kill/gimping to make up for difficulty killing at higher %s?
Again, these things are why marth is good to begin with, but compared to the characters above there are a lot of "ifs". The nature of marth's sword is that you are rewarded for tipping. Theres a saying I like, "that is a two person combo". Marth's sword is kinda like a two person spacing. If you know where they are going to be, you can put the tip there. If you wiff or hit with the weak part you are likely in for trouble. I feel it takes two players for the tip to hit (outside of combos).

Top Bottom