• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linguini

Smash Master
Ganon should def. be higher he has evens with every top tier except for sheik.
LOL@ the guy who said US ganon's suck, im pretty sure I can wreck everyone in ****ing canadaland,including kage.

Kage, lambchops wants to mm $10-$50 you for a comparison to my ganon, good luck on winning that.:laugh: You take the challenge? If so go up to him at Event52 cuz hes banned and cant post,

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
To the people still discussing the premises and methodology behind a tier list as opposed to individual placings on it, I really want some serious consideration/discussion/criticism of the claim I've been making about what a tier list SHOULD be:

First of all, it doesn't take into account abstract, ill-defined, irrelevant things like "potential" or "how good the character is overall", either. The first thing misses the point completely (which is to give an accurate theoretical representation of the CURRENT high level metagame), and the second doesn't really mean anything. Too many people say things like "Character X has A, B, and C good properties; he should be higher." The thing is, those good properties don't even mean anything in a vacuum; they only mean anything in the context of: do they help this character win against the other characters in the game?

Another common claim is that it's "based (mostly) on tournament results".

The tier list is (and by is I mean should) only be based on tournament results in the sense that tournament results are used to CONFIRM it and make sure that generally your evaluations of characters are accurate. It fundamentally has nothing to do with results in the same way that scientific theories are not defined by experiments, but verified by them.

If it's 'based off tournament results', then there's no need for a special back room of highly knowledgeable people to make the list; anyone who's willing to run the numbers could have made it. Ankoku was doing for brawl (his 'character rankings list'), and the first words in his thread were: IF YOU THINK THIS IS A TIER LIST, YOU ARE A MORON.

UmbreonMow has it as "which character is most likely to win a tournament?", and that sounds pretty good. This question pretty much only makes sense for players of equal skill level, and it's only ineresting for players at the "highest" skill level, so those are universally accepted premises.

Which brings me to my main point: The tier list is (by is I mean should) fundamentally be based on character matchups, and matchups alone. Among players of equal skill, matchup values between characters can be determined in the form of probabilities, and from those probabilities the "character most likely to win a tournament" can be determined.

Tier list ranks would be assigned based on expected winning percent (calculated by an average of the matchup values of the character in question weighted by how much each character makes up the metagame).

This model is good because it not only makes a list that serves the intended function "which character is most likely to win a tournament?", it's also more concrete than just "list the characters from best to worst". It means that the fine-tuning can go to evaluating the individual character matchup values correctly, and that's where the knowledge/experience with the game comes in.

tl;dr:

-tier list shouldn't be based on abstract qualities, potential, or pure tournament results
-tier list should however mostly reflect tournament results
-tier list should be based purely on character matchups, because character matchups are what determines if a character wins or not

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
the tier list is just a math program we made in the smash back room years ago - all we've been doing in the SBR for the last couple years is order pizza and talk about relationship problems.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Mike is the best 2008 poster
Thank you. :)
I think Falcon does slightly better vs Fox than Peach does at high level, considerably worse against Falco, considerably better against Marth, and then Sheik is horrible for both of them.
Dude, no way. fox ****ing destroys falcon. Fox combos falcon so well it's stupid (with uairs, uthrows, utilt's and usmashes) If you do a utilt/usmash/uthrow/falling uair->shffl uair at fairly low percent you can do like 4 consecutive uairs. He also has a cg on falcon, shine combos are easy (almost as easy as on peach) AND he's stupidly easy to shinespike/edgeguard.
Rambo him with nairs which outprioritizes pretty much everything he has, waveshine him off the stage and gay his recovery with teh shine. fox wins <3. Or you could waveshine->grab->uthrow combo or waveshine->utilt/usmash combo... fox wins again <3

Sure he owns peach aswell, but atleast peach has the cg, teh dsmash, good combos against fast fallers, and **** edgeguarding. What does falcon have against fox? Tech chasing (and tech chasing isnt exactly as reliable as comboing) from grabs? >.> That won't do it.
Dude yoshi hella fcuken sucks. i think that ness is better.
No yoshi is awesome XD. If it wasn't for his ****ty shield/grab game and lack of third jump he'd atleast be mid tier. Seriously, apart from that, he's good. And there ARE ways around these weaknesses.
Ness sucks.

I wouldn't say Fox destroys Falcon... I've seen Top level Falcons beat top level Fox's. Remember Captain Falcon can combo Fox, too. I think Falcon should be higher than Peach. Peach can do little against a Campy fox, or Sheik. A lot of high level Foxes, and Sheiks seem to be more prone to camp against Peach, than ever, beacuse it's really effective.. Then there's Peach's matchup against Marth, which is probably the worst matchup between any of the Top/High tier characters.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Falcon can't combo fox well at all... comboing fox across the stage with nairs and uairs (like falcon can do to pretty much every other char in the game) is impossible.
Or well, it's possible if you're super fast and they don't DI, but they will DI. If they just DI down and away (and tech) it's impossible to follow up a nair or uair with anything but a tech chase.
The only reliable combo launchers he has vs fox are raptor boost and usmash, which are extremly risky and punishable attacks. But even those can't really lead to any devastating 0-death combos. 2-3 hit combos at most (assuming they di correctly)

Sure top level falcons can beat top level foxes, but I've seen top level Peaches beat top level Marths. Doesn't mean it's not a counter.

I deffinetly agree that Falcon should be above peach, btw.

MyNiggaNameDante

Smash Journeyman
hey the backroom really came through this time, they did a good job on the list, this marks the day that the backroom did something legit before stamping "Official" on it,

needless to say Mark Lesner, the current best smasher in the world, would be very proud of this list.

PeeP

Smash Apprentice
Why do people actually WANT their mains to be higher than on the last tier list??? No offense but its not because of you that they rose(with a few exceptions: Mang0, M2K etc.) so there is no reason to feel proud. And now that your character is higher more people will play with them.

Amide

Smash Lord
Why do people actually WANT their mains to be higher than on the last tier list??? No offense but its not because of you that they rose(with a few exceptions: Mang0, M2K etc.) so there is no reason to feel proud. And now that your character is higher more people will play with them.
I agree with you so much it's not even funny... I hate when Marth mains for example feel special how he rose. Why does ANYONE want their main to be higher?

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Falcon can't combo fox well at all... comboing fox across the stage with nairs and uairs (like falcon can do to pretty much every other char in the game) is impossible.
Or well, it's possible if you're super fast and they don't DI, but they will DI. If they just DI down and away (and tech) it's impossible to follow up a nair or uair with anything but a tech chase.
The only reliable combo launchers he has vs fox are raptor boost and usmash, which are extremly risky and punishable attacks. But even those can't really lead to any devastating 0-death combos. 2-3 hit combos at most (assuming they di correctly)

Sure top level falcons can beat top level foxes, but I've seen top level Peaches beat top level Marths. Doesn't mean it's not a counter.

You obviously do not know how to play Falcon. Falcon can destroy Foxes with a few good predictions. Tech chasing Fox = a dead Fox. Once he's within the dair->knee range, which doesn't take long when you're playing against Captain ****ing Falcon, he's done-done.

To reinforce my point, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You obviously do not know how to play Falcon. Falcon can destroy Foxes with a few good predictions. Tech chasing Fox = a dead Fox. Once he's within the dair->knee range, which doesn't take long when you're playing against Captain ****ing Falcon, he's done-done.

To reinforce my point, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vziStKcg6g
I said that falcon cant combo fox if the fox DI's correctly. Thats a DBR combo video. >.>

Tech chasing is nothing compared to what fox can do against falcon. Also, fox tech chases falcon even better in this matchup due to falcon's ****ty *** tech roll.

If fox touches falcon he can **** his *** off with anything he likes. if it's on fd a single grab can cost 60-80% followed by edgeguarding.
if falcon grabs fox he can do some decent damage with good prediction. If he guesses wrong not much will happen.
It's not comparable.

Not to mention, falcon has to grab fox to tech chase him which isn't easy considering it's fox and falcons grab range sucks. He has no reliable lead-ins either (nair->grab is escapable).

Beleive me, fox ***** falcon. Ask any high level falcon player.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero

you are pretty ignorant on the matchup i mean you know a lot and you've posted great this year as somebody else said but you're just pretty wrong on falcon v fox.

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
I said that falcon cant combo fox if the fox DI's correctly. Thats a DBR combo video. >.>

Tech chasing is nothing compared to what fox can do against falcon. Also, fox tech chases falcon even better in this matchup due to falcon's ****ty *** tech roll.

If fox touches falcon he can **** his *** off with anything he likes. if it's on fd a single grab can cost 60-80% followed by edgeguarding.
if falcon grabs fox he can do some decent damage with good prediction. If he guesses wrong not much will happen.
It's not comparable.

Not to mention, falcon has to grab fox to tech chase him which isn't easy considering it's fox and falcons grab range sucks. He has no reliable lead-ins either (nair->grab is escapable).

Beleive me, fox ***** falcon. Ask any high level falcon player.

Hey, I kind of know that fox has an advantage in the match up...since I kind of main fox and secondary Falcon. I go to tournaments, I've played pros and I've beaten my fair share of Falcons. The thing is, it's not as bad as you people who don't know anything claim it to be. Yeah, of course on certain stages Fox will destroy Falcon, just like on some Falcon can hold his own pretty god**** well. And getting a grab on Fox? Cakework if you can predict what he'll do or he makes a mistake. Mistakes are pretty commonplace with Fox since he is such a technically demanding character. Then guess what? He's probably going to die. Falcon is one of the best punishers in this game. And don't sit here and make it seem like predicting Fox is SOOO HARD, because it's really not.

It's not ****, it's just a matchup where Fox has it easier than Falcon. It's pretty hard to grab a good Falcon too, but I don't think you've ever played a pro-level Falcon, or else you'd know this. Falcons do not blindly rush at you, they space their **** because they know what that grab will do. There is NOTHING in this game more scary than a Falcon who is very good at predicting and spacing. Once you hit the floor, you aren't getting up unless you're flying off the stage with a knee.

And what does that being DBR have to do with ANYTHING? Bashing them for what? Bad DI? Real debonair. Everyone has a combo where they DI wrong, you don't have to discredit the players because someone did bad DI. How do you know he wouldn't follow up in a different way if they DIed a different way? You're from SWEDEN dude, THERE ARE ZERO PEOPLE IN SWEDEN WHO WOULD WIN AGAINST SILENTSPECTRE.

Either way, Falcon on Fox is not complete ****, it's 60-40 Fox's favor at worst, and there are stages where Falcon can get it close to even.

VA

Smash Hero
who is mikehaggar anyway?

edit: pretty sure asmah is dutch. the best talent of sweden is Armada?

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
You're from SWEDEN dude, THERE ARE ZERO PEOPLE IN SWEDEN WHO WOULD WIN AGAINST SILENTSPECTRE.
Wow, I spent like 3 minutes reading your post up until this point.
Couldn't you have said you're an arrogant idiot who has no idea what he's talking about earlier so I wouldn't have wasted those 3 minutes?
It wouldn't have been that hard to put this part at the beginning of your post, cuz then I wouldn't even have read it. Why didn't you think of that?

By the way, I never bashed DBR. >.> If you weren't so defensive and actually tried to get my point maybe you would've understood that.

And if you do know what you're talking about, you could prove it by listing the best smashers in sweden.
*waits for defensive patriots to flame me b/c they think im making some european smash vs us smash statement*
yeah dude people like amsah are total garbage

>_>
Amsah is from the netherlands. :p

EDIT: Yayuhzz, i didnt skip the part about SS at all, I even asked you to list all of those swedish smashers that SS would beat. I mean, if you know so much about the swedish smash scene that you're SURE that SS would beat every single smasher in sweden, then you must atleast know their names. I thought it was pretty obvious that that was the point of asking you to list these people, but it seems like you didn't understand that.

If you wanted to "put me on the spot" you could've pointed out how I skipped the part about matchups instead. But since you're not the person who cares about discussing anything related to facts (which is why skipped it to begin with, btw) I guess you didn't mind me skipping that

I edited this post instead making a new one to avoid this thread of turning into a ******** argument about nothing. (people are more likely to read new posts then old posts)

If you want to say more about this crap feel free to PM me, I'll gladly delete it. :)

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Wow, I spent like 3 minutes reading your post up until this point.
Couldn't you have said you're an arrogant idiot who has no idea what he's talking about earlier so I wouldn't have wasted those 3 minutes?
It wouldn't have been that hard to put this part at the beginning of your post. Why didn't you think of that?

And if you do know what you're talking about, you could prove it by listing the best smashers in sweden.

Amsah is from the netherlands. :p

Because I knew you wouldn't read it all if I put it at the beginning. Mindgames. :)

Or the best Smashers in Sweden could come over here and lose. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom