• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MBR Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
haha Marth can combo the **** out of Ganon, regardless of DI properties, the whole entire match-up is entirely dependent on spacing, in which can Marth has an advantage, however, Ganon can easily gimp out Marth along with edge-guarding him easily. It's a 45-50 match-up in Marth's favor.

Not trying to go against you Kage. I love you man. <33333
A 45-50 matchup, huh?
XD

Nah but I agree, I find Ganon real easy to combo with Marth. But not Kage's. It's hard to combo while you're cowering in fear at the might of a warrior.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
55/45 is extremely challenging?
Yeah, Marth is pretty hard for Ganon. Like my earlier post said, the entire match is dependent of spacing and edge guarding, in which case it favors Marth. Ganon can't throw out attacks and hope they hit, nor can he be so passive with edge-guarding. And all Marth pretty has to do is wait for Ganon to up-b back to level and space out an F-smash, or d-air if he wants to be fancy. It's SUPPOSE to be even, but I don't think so.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If you think it's so hard for Ganon, why is it only 55/45? Wouldn't a matchup being so hard make it more than borderline even?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what you say and what numbers you provide with it make no sense. You say the spacing game favours Marth, you say the combo game heavily favours Marth, and then you say the gimp game favours Ganon in your first post but then revise that to say Marth's edgeguard is better (unless you're holding the two separate), and somehow this matchup is borderline even.

I suppose numbers mean different things for different people, as I interpret 55/45 as extremely, extremely close, and not outstandingly difficult for either character (or, conversely, it's a challenge for both of them). But perhaps you interpret it differently?

spider_sense

Smash Champion
If you think it's so hard for Ganon, why is it only 55/45? Wouldn't a matchup being so hard make it more than borderline even?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what you say and what numbers you provide with it make no sense. You say the spacing game favours Marth, you say the combo game heavily favours Marth, and then you say the gimp game favours Ganon in your first post but then revise that to say Marth's edgeguard is better (unless you're holding the two separate), and somehow this matchup is borderline even.

I suppose numbers mean different things for different people, as I interpret 55/45 as extremely, extremely close, and not outstandingly difficult for either character (or, conversely, it's a challenge for both of them). But perhaps you interpret it differently?
Well I'm just giving you the basic statistics, but my own personal opinion it's just a hard match for Ganon to overcome. Yeah, you're absolutely right in your assumption about the 55/45 matchup, but it just seems a mediocre Marth player can beat a really good Ganon player, just by spacing alone. (I main Ganon btw)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If a mediocre Marth can - in your opinion - overcome a good Ganon, it sounds like you think the matchup is worse than 55/45.

I don't think Ganon can combo Marth for 50%, Kage, except for like Dair grab Fair or something like that, but I don't know much about Ganon except how to do aerial --> grab on him with Sheik. How does Ganon combo Marth so hard? I'd also think it'd be hard to hit Marth with Dair because he tries to keep himself in front of you 'cuz that's what Marth always does but maybe you have secret Ganon tricks.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
If a mediocre Marth can - in your opinion - overcome a good Ganon, it sounds like you think the matchup is worse than 55/45.

I don't think Ganon can combo Marth for 50%, Kage, except for like Dair grab Fair or something like that, but I don't know much about Ganon except how to do aerial --> grab on him with Sheik. How does Ganon combo Marth so hard?
Yup...btw who do you main?

Tamoo

Smash Master
I personally cant see how ganon has an advantage over marth, marth just seems to have all the tools necessary to cut out ganon's game. Is there something in the matchup im missing?

Divinokage

Smash Legend

I don't think Ganon can combo Marth for 50%, Kage, except for like Dair grab Fair or something like that, but I don't know much about Ganon except how to do aerial --> grab on him with Sheik. How does Ganon combo Marth so hard? I'd also think it'd be hard to hit Marth with Dair because he tries to keep himself in front of you 'cuz that's what Marth always does but maybe you have secret Ganon tricks.
Combo on marth.. let's see you can do downair, downthrow, nair to fair, or upair/bair depending on DI. That's 60%+ actually lol. Downthrow to Nair absolutely ***** Marth lol. or Downthrow to anything depending on DI.

How can Marth combo Ganon? lol.. L2 DI please.. cmon now. If you think you can utilt, utilt to fair/bair, and fair all day.. man you must suck seriously. ONE utilt to backair MAX should hit Ganon if you get hit by more than 2 hits in a row you suck lol. I'm not saying it doesn't happen to me on occasions because some attacks I don't expect but ya in general I'm talking about.

I have Warrior bull****. =P

In general I find Marth easy mode, just play properly, you can easily outspace Marth. Ya I 3 stocked Azen's marth... 1st game at RoM. So far I don't think I've lost a tourney set against a marth ever for a lonngggg time. You can also shield stab marth all day lol ask Europhoria. Also another good advantage is just keep Marth above platforms, what the hell can he do seriously?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon mains have to put a lot of effort into the matchups vs top tiers and really against any fast character. I can see why spider_sense calls that matchup challenging for Ganon although it is a close matchup. Ganon can outspace Marth sometimes, but it doesn't happen automatically lol. There are a ton of matchups where Ganon has to put in twice as much effort as his opponent to compete imo.

Stripesorbars3

Smash Apprentice
gannon goes even or slightly loses to marth.

its definitely one of the more even matchups in melee IMO.

they both have the potential to live long and kill early on all stages.

marth edgegaurds well and gannon has a good throw game vs marth.

marth usually wins tho cause of marth

thataintflaco1338

Smash Journeyman
In that specific matchup, yes I do. 55-45

Edit: Which is why Marth would be 4th on the tier list because of lower tier matchups.

Like also I'm pretty sure a good Link is even with a good marth.
Hmm, interesting.

I don't disagree(call me dumb if you want) with you, but where are you drawing this from?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ganon mains have to put a lot of effort into the matchups vs top tiers and really against any fast character. I can see why spider_sense calls that matchup challenging for Ganon although it is a close matchup. Ganon can outspace Marth sometimes, but it doesn't happen automatically lol. There are a ton of matchups where Ganon has to put in twice as much effort as his opponent to compete imo.
A lot of effort? I disagree again, every matchup is not that bad... just play well.

linkez

Smash Cadet
IMHO

Sheik 9.7 should be 9.9 too
Falco 9.2 just a little bit higher, like 9.5
High
Middle
Ganondorf 6.0 ---should be a little hiigher i think
Low
Bottom
Kirby 1.5 he's weaker than pichu i think

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
gannon doesnt beat marth.

idc if you are the best gannon in the absence of better gannons.

and the top 4 is like this:

Fox>Shiek(or even)
Shiek>Marth
Marth>Fox(or even)
Falco>Fox(or even)
Falco>Shiek(or even)
Marth>Falco

and all those match ups are no worse than 55/45 save for marth/falco(stage dependent) and shiek/marth.
Ganon beats marth. He hits toooo ****ing hard. And kage is a warrior.

but seriously Marth is gosu but I think that ganon has a slight advantage. Ganon I think lives longer than marth, but can match him in range with his legs and well spaced fairs. also his ftilt is fast and has good knockback. jab *****

but those uair legs have range and more knockback then falcons. Trading hits with gdorf can be fatal for marth.

I have also heard that link can have a decent battle with marth. Id still give marth the adv but only slight.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Hey guys.
Whats a Kage?
I was told it meant shadow iir. That could be just be complete bull**** tho lol.
Marth beats ganon, it's close but marth has the advantage.

Sticks and fire wood > Ganon.
I mean, not saying you are wrong even tho I disagree. but you cant just make arbitrary statements and still contribute to the discussion.

so I guess Im saying, why do you think that.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Kage definitely means Shadow. Shadow is my nickname ever since I was 4 years old actually... it's my childhood warrior dreams, I guess. =P And since I watch lots of anime right now I knew Shadow meant Kage in Japanese and since smash only takes 4 letter nicknames... I named myself Kage.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
A lot of effort? I disagree again, every matchup is not that bad... just play well.
What I meant is that there is little room for error in some matchups. Although you think Falco is much harder than Sheik, I will use Sheik as an example. There is much more room for error on Sheik's part in the matchup, where as if Ganon screws up once he's toast... mainly because Sheik grabbing Ganon is MUCH easier than Ganon grabbing Sheik, and Sheik tilt/fair combos are not exactly difficult, especially on Ganon.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What I meant is that there is little room for error in some matchups. Although you think Falco is much harder than Sheik, I will use Sheik as an example. There is much more room for error on Sheik's part in the matchup, where as if Ganon screws up once he's toast... mainly because Sheik grabbing Ganon is MUCH easier than Ganon grabbing Sheik, and Sheik tilt/fair combos are not exactly difficult, especially on Ganon.
Yup I agree with that. A very good Sheik vs a very good Ganon.. even without CG.. omg.. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom