• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official MD/VA Power Rankings! Updated March 22nd.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So about Doll, Tope and Cyrain being considered SoVA instead of NoVA....
I don't think there is any need to splinter an already weak region.

And besides, even if you don't play with them a lot doesn't mean the rest of us don't. I play with Richmond regularly (or at least I used to), and I consider them just as much a part of this region as MD or NoVa. And if we were to exclude them, then are Redd, Mahone, and I not part of this region either, considering we go to school in SoVa for three-quarters of the year?

I think a more legitimate question along those lines is where is the Virginia Beach representation on here? Isn't it possible that guys like Ether deserve a spot in our rankings but none of us really know?

Laijin

Smash Hero
I don't think there is any need to splinter an already weak region.

And besides, even if you don't play with them a lot doesn't mean the rest of us don't. I play with Richmond regularly (or at least I used to), and I consider them just as much a part of this region as MD or NoVa. And if we were to exclude them, then are Redd, Mahone, and I not part of this region either, considering we go to school in SoVa for three-quarters of the year?

I think a more legitimate question along those lines is where is the Virginia Beach representation on here? Isn't it possible that guys like Ether deserve a spot in our rankings but none of us really know?
My point was they play with SoVA way more then they play with NoVA/MD. SoVA has a bunch of melee players that I bet most of the region here has never even heard of. I remember asking Wenbo if he had seen Rhan at Pound 5 and he was like "WHO?". lol.

So yea. Unless you want to include ALL of SoVA in our region so the VA in MD/VA actually means ALL of VA, then we should not count them in our region.

So far the only argument to this is "But if we did that we would suck even more!".

Example: This is like saying Xif is from Florida still and is a FL smasher when the dude has lived in GA for like the past four years and only occasionally visits FL. People still do this. haha.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
My point was they play with SoVA way more then they play with NoVA/MD. SoVA has a bunch of melee players that I bet most of the region here has never even heard of. I remember asking Wenbo if he had seen Rhan at Pound 5 and he was like "WHO?". lol.

So yea. Unless you want to include ALL of SoVA in our region so the VA in MD/VA actually means ALL of VA, then we should not count them in our region.

So far the only argument to this is "But if we did that we would suck even more!".

Example: This is like saying Xif is from Florida still and is a FL smasher when the dude has lived in GA for like the past four years and only occasionally visits FL. People still do this. haha.
Yeah, but FL and GA are totally different states and stuff. MD/VA means all of MD and all of VA by definition.

Geography matters much more than who plays who. As long as the distance between people is short, then they should be a part of the same region. The region isn't defined by who Laijin plays all the time, or who Wenbo plays all the time. And yes, they play within Richmond more than they play in NoVa/MD. But MD plays more within MD than they play in NoVa/SoVa. There are subregions within the region (Richmond, Radford/Blacksburg, NoVa, College Park/East MD, West MD, Virginia Beach, and The Crimson Blur's honorary Charlottesville division are the main ones) but we are all connected to make the MD/VA whole.

Besides, why would you want Team Richmond to not be a part of this region? Those guys are ****ing awesome.

Vist

Smash Champion
IMO, having Richmond on the MD/VA PR is kinda dumb. I see the Richmond crew about as often as I do Tristate smashers. They pretty much never come to any local events... Tope/Cyrain came to like one of Sypher's events and Savage has done about the same. I can see Doll being included since he has been to at least 3 Syphers since the summer, but including the rest of Richmond is a bit of a stretch.

Also, how would any of the majority of MD/VA have a chance to get ranked above any of the Richmond players? By outplacing them at some huge national? Hoping to beat them / outplace them at the once in a blue moon chance they come to a local tournament? For me and probably a good amount of the MD/VA players, going down to Radford or w/e other SoVA events is just as far as going to Philly. Just doesn't seem to make much sense...

And for ****'s sake, don't make this into a discussion of "Why should they come up to NoVA? I mean they're so good guys lemme get back to s-ing on their d's". Yes, they are good and have their reasons for not coming up here, but the fact of the matter is that they don't go to any locals and pretty much never play most of us except the few that go to school relatively near them etc.

Anyway...Not sure how far back this list is supposed to go, but looking at the more recent events I would say Thumbs should be above Voodoo and possibly plank as well. Voodoo hasn't really been to much since he graduated and plank has come to like one or two events and didn't place all that high (although he did make brackets at p5).

Laijin

Smash Hero
^Everything Vist said

I think we should redo the list, excluding Tope and Cyrain and possibly Doll(if you wanna stretch it that much). If you don't, then include ALL of VA which means Shaeman, Rhan, Ether, etc etc. That entire crew.

But wait.

Most of the players in NoVA/MD have never played any of them. But hey. If we add in Richmond, might as well add in UltimaScout in our PR since he comes to more of our tournaments than they do and he's from PA.

So basically. This PR should just be MD/NoVA.
We can discuss who belongs where after that.

As for Plank and Voodoo. I for some reason am doubting plank will show up to any future tournaments any time soon after what hes going through. And Voodoo has not been in anything in like 6 months except P5.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Hey guys lets not include Chu & Chillin because they are saying they are going to "retire" for like the millionth time.
And Boss because he plays every single week but doesn't enter tournaments as much as he used to.
And Cyrain, Tope, Doll, and Savedge because they are more than a 5 min walk from outside Laijin and Vist's house.
And Redd, Mahone, Crimson, MinQ, and Knightpraetor because they go to school in SoVa.
And Plank because he might not come to tournaments again.
And Voodoo cause he hasn't really come to anything in 6 or so months.
And G-reg because hes just so old school and awesome that it would be a shame to rank anyone above him.

Aight so..

1. Vist
2. Thumbs
3. Laijin
4. Winston
5. Wenbo

Nice list guys. Really indicative of our region.

Its hilarious to hear you guys call people inactive because they don't go to Sypher's, which are glorified smashfests. You can't criticize people for not going to events because there are no regional events. There are nationals and then there are small get-to-gethers in between. If we had real regional tournaments like every other region then that line of reasoning would make much more sense..

Laijin

Smash Hero
Alright Crimson. Its not that serious. We're just making the list more accurate.
Here is the list of active MD/NoVA players:

- Redd (VA)
- Vist (Odenton, MD)
- Plank (Salisbury, MD)
- Thumbswayup (Silver Spring, MD)
- G-regulate (Arlington, VA)
- Doll (VA)
- Big Wenz
- Wenbo
- Winston
- CTL
- Chival
- Chred (College Park, MD)
- Laijin
- Sypher
- Episolon- Mahone
- Scrap Mettle
- MooseEatsBear
- Xykness
- The Crimson Blur
- Bones
- CK

Everyone on this list I have seen at various tournaments over the past few months and they have entered said tournaments. Wife and Husband are not on the list because they don't enter tournaments. Wife is always at smashfests though haha.

Seriously. How can you justify including richmond in our PRs if they don't come to our tournaments but like twice a year. Do you know how regional events are made? From my experience, a tournament being made into a "regional" usually always completely and entirely random. Not always. But usually. There are some players who live in SoVA that come to our tournaments fairly frequently, hence why I included them on the list. Doll has been to like three syphers recently which is why he is on the list.
Having no regional tournaments is not a excuse to add them to the list. So therefore, we can indeed criticize them for not coming our tournaments.

Edit: The panel should be made up of three people. Three representives from the major parts of our region:
One from North MD(Baltimore area).
College Park.
NoVA

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Alright Crimson. Its not that serious. We're just making the list more accurate.
Yo don't get it twisted, all I do I do it big. My posts are laced in love. I'm just trying to make a good list too. My love is passionate though.

Here is the list of active MD/NoVA players:
This is an MD/VA power ranking thread and not an MD/NoVa power ranking thread.

- Redd (VA)
- Vist (Odenton, MD)
- Plank (Salisbury, MD)
- Thumbswayup (Silver Spring, MD)
- G-regulate (Arlington, VA)
- Doll (VA)
- Big Wenz
- Wenbo
- Winston
- CTL
- Chival
- Chred (College Park, MD)
- Laijin
- Sypher
- Episolon- Mahone
- Scrap Mettle
- MooseEatsBear
- Xykness
- The Crimson Blur
- Bones
- CK
How is Boss not considered active?

But your list just looks so ridiculous. When someone asks "who is the best player in MD/VA?" a typical response is "Cyrain", "Chu", "Chillin", or "Tope." None of those people are on your list. Any power ranking thread that doesn't even include its top 4 players is a failure.

Seriously. How can you justify including richmond in our PRs if they don't come to our tournaments but like twice a year.
Because they are in Virginia, and have historically been a major subregion in our community. And they go to plenty of tournaments, just not sypher's.

Do you know how regional events are made? From my experience, a tournament being made into a "regional" usually always completely and entirely random. Not always. But usually.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. Can you explain it to me?

There are some players who live in SoVA that come to our tournaments fairly frequently, hence why I included them on the list. Doll has been to like three syphers recently which is why he is on the list.
What? How does this make sense? If Eggm came to every Sypher you'd start counting him as MD/VA? Why are you putting all this importance in local tournaments and absolutely none to nationals/midmajors?

Having no regional tournaments is not a excuse to add them to the list. So therefore, we can indeed criticize them for not coming our tournaments.
Whaaaaaat? How are those 2 sentences connected? Where does the therefore come from? And I never said that the fact that we have no regional tournaments is an "excuse" to add them to the list. They are on the list because they are in Virginia and this is an MD/VA power ranking thread.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think what it comes down to is people can't outplace Tope and Cyrain on the PRs if they never attend any of the same events as everyone else. The VT crew frequently attends Syphers when they aren't in school, and they even came to Graphix last weekend. It is clear where they are ranked because they play other people in our region all the time.

Essentially the region has been broken up into MD/NoVa and NovA/SoVa. There isn't enough overlap between MD and SoVa to generate an accurate PR. The goal of PRs is to promote competition, but if the two top players on our region's PR never attend tournaments or compete against everyone else on the list, what's the point? I would just suggest putting Tope and Cyrain in the honorable mentions for being beasts who don't attend MD/NoVa tournaments, and then let everyone else actually compete for that top spot instead of it seeming so isolated.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I agree with TCB. The PR would be super lame two of the players who are clearly among the very top in VA aren't on it. MD/NoVA isn't a strong enough region by itself (if Chu/Chillin/Travis/Boss aren't counted) to warrant doing a PR for.

That being said, including Richmond makes it pretty hard for us to rank Savedge.

Also, we should wait till it's actually proved that Chu isn't coming to locals anymore before putting him as inactive. xD

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I agree with TCB. The PR would be super lame two of the players who are clearly among the very top in VA aren't on it. MD/NoVA isn't a strong enough region by itself (if Chu/Chillin/Travis/Boss aren't counted) to warrant doing a PR for.

That being said, including Richmond makes it pretty hard for us to rank Savedge.

Also, we should wait till it's actually proved that Chu isn't coming to locals anymore before putting him as inactive. xD

Like I said, I only did it because he TOLD ME HE WAS RETIRING. He said he would go to Sypher's if I told him about them but other than that he is done with smash. He sounded pretty serious cause we talked about it after we lost in doubles bracket at pound.

Also, derp @ not including Richmond/SoVA. It's by geographical location, and we'd be the only region to be like "oh hay southern va is on a diff pr" doesn't really make sense. Plus, not ranking them is kinda like pulling the wool over our eyes.

The wool of ****. Team Richmond uncensored ****.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master

Like I said, I only did it because he TOLD ME HE WAS RETIRING. He said he would go to Sypher's if I told him about them but other than that he is done with smash. He sounded pretty serious cause we talked about it after we lost in doubles bracket at pound.
I heard he'll be there this weekend though lolol

I think what it comes down to is people can't outplace Tope and Cyrain on the PRs if they never attend any of the same events as everyone else.
The goal of PRs is to promote competition, but if the two top players on our region's PR never attend tournaments or compete against everyone else on the list, what's the point?
Ah, for sure. The fact that there is little contact between MD and SoVa makes things difficult to rank. But isn't that part of what we are trying to accomplish here? Instead of separating the two, we should try to find ways to bring them together. If we had real regionals, I'm sure everybody would come...the distance between all of us is so, so small. Its a 2 hour difference. 2 hours. Put an event in the middle and its a 1 hour drive for everybody.

Easier said than done though. Especially with how unappealing it is to be a TO after this whole Pound V fiasco.

In the meantime I think we should use the data we have. And thats (in order of importance) ranking battles, locals, midmajors, and nationals as the major criteria.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I can definitely get what you're saying about bringing them together. I guess it just seems dumb until we can actually get proper regionals started.

As far as a 2 hour difference, that's how long it takes me to get to Sypher's. >____>

FMLocation

Laijin

Smash Hero
Alright guys. If we seriously add Tope and Cyrain to the list and this is a true MD/VA power rankings, SoVA has 100% rights to this PR as well.
Unfortunately we have no clue about the smashers down there and how they match up to us since they never come up here.

So in the end. The PR doesn't work. GG

Laijin

Smash Hero
So I'm gonna go ahead and assume all of SoVA is invited to these PRs as well, seeing as how its the only logical way to do this if you want all of VA in here. Gonna invite them in this thread and see what they think

Lobos

Smash Master
This was the old power rankings from way back around 2007-2008

MD/VA division - Chillindude829, G-regulate, and Tope

1. Azen
2. Chu
3. Chillindude829
4. Chinesah
5. KM-013
6. Neo
7. G-reg
8. Tope
9. Plank
10. Aho
11. Kirbstir
12. Omni
13. Wife
14. Boss
15. Blues

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
You don't know anyone Clyde ... athough I'm surprised that the names aren't familiar to you at all
I've heard of everyone on that list

The_Doug

Smash Ace
Nice Cyrain and Tope #1 and #2! Got to visit Richmond again soon.

Ether is the best in SOVA, but he is "retired" at the moment. If there is something we could do to drag him out to a tournament in the near future I know for sure he'd want to be competitive and on that list somewhere. I'd say Shaden is our top player currently and quite possibly deserving a rank.

Vist and Laijin - Once again I thoroughly enjoyed our teams match at P5. Wish I woulda been listening when you were explaining the Luigi ceiling glitch because I swear it happens to Sheik often.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Thanks!

Wenbo. You lived here. Of course you know everyone on that list. I have no clue who Aho, KM-013 and Blues are. I found out who Chineesah was once I moved here. I also had no idea Neo, Azen and Kirbstir even lived in our region and I was always under the impression that Omni was a strictly Brawl Only player, but found out recently he retired melee in 07.

I definitely think Shaden potentially deserves a ranking as well. I played him at Pound 5 and he was pretty good.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
LOL. Hey I'm in md right now, do I count? /kidding

I think it would be cool to include everyone in the entire states of MD and VA that attends tourneys somewhat regularly, unless they truly wish to NOT be a part of the rankings. When someone from oos checks this list they want to see who the best players in the state(s) are. It also means more imo, like, if you can say, well I'm ranked 5th but there are 5 or 6 people that we aren't counting that could **** me lol, doesn't feel as good as being ranked 5th counting every good player. Just my .02

Laijin

Smash Hero
No Shaden is really bad trust me
Totally off topic but..
wait wut.
you made your account in 06 but you only have 2 posts.
wut.

Also. If someone never goes to a tournament, I don't get why they should be on the list. We don't know if X player who is ranked #7 has gotten better than Y player who is ranked #1 if Y player never shows up to a tournament. We can assume he would **** X player, but how do we really know? Don't use assumptions.

rhan

Smash Hero
No Shaden is really bad trust me
LMAO! Shut up you scrub *** *****! <3

Totally off topic but..
wait wut.
you made your account in 06 but you only have 2 posts.
wut.

Also. If someone never goes to a tournament, I don't get why they should be on the list. We don't know if X player who is ranked #7 has gotten better than Y player who is ranked #1 if Y player never shows up to a tournament. We can assume he would **** X player, but how do we really know? Don't use assumptions.
It's Shaden himself.

But yeah PR's only really rely on Tourney results. Shae is a great placer. Even from POund 4/5 but he never made it to brackets.

Redd deserves to be on it.

If we're counting Pound 5 as a tourney.

Edit: Oh he's already on it.. lmaooo okayyyy. Most of the guys I see on it though are appart of Team Richmond. Coincidence?

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Richmond *****.

Here are some richmond smashers nobody mentioned:
-Poehlcat
-Pandu!
-thefear
-Yoshido
-Pandu's friend

We're all pretty active. We'd like to go to tournaments but have no car. We're going to G6.

I'm also going to start hosting regionals to unite all of Va. We're at the center of Va, it makes sense for people to come to us. ~Expect this to happen in 83 days, which is when I get funding from the school.

Also we're having smashfests every friday starting the 25th. These can continue into saturday.

I also like how it's only the md players that want all the good va smashers off the list. Md/Va crew battle sometime?

Top Bottom