• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Dtilt will pop your opponent up at high percents, which you can down smash, f smash , reverse up smash, and up b as a follow up. What move you can follow up with depends on how high they get sent in the air/ opponents reaction time.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Dtilt will pop your opponent up at high percents, which you can down smash, f smash , reverse up smash, and up b as a follow up. What move you can follow up with depends on how high they get sent in the air/ opponents reaction time.
didnt test alot, but when they popup then can airdodge before hitting the ground, fsmash still guaranteed on landing though, but the can jump away

Variable

Smash Ace
I have trouble when trying to land back on the stage.

When ever I get knocked off the stage, I have no problem recovering or anything, but I tend to fall into a lot of traps. Whenever I am coming down from the top of the map is when it's the worse. It seems likes as soon as I get into the air I immediatly get combo'd when trying to land. I've tried to DI away from people, spot dodge while landing, D-air, a bunch of things. But nothing has worked well consistantly. The best bet is probably Cyclone'ing down so if they try to u-air, u-tilt that get hit. but after they catch on, that fails because of they can easily dash away or spot dodge and punish.

Also recovering from the sides gives me a lot of trouble too. Whenever I ledge grab, and try to get back on it's a problem. You have ledge grab to jump approach, which obviously isn't good because that puts you above the opponent, and I just stated in the above paragraph that I had trouble when getting back on the stage from above. You have Ledge grab to ledge grab attack. Which is easily shielded to get punished, and if it doesn't get shielded it is extremely slow with luigi. And lastly which is also quite bad is when you just climb up to the stage. I feel this is also slow and puts you in a vulnerable position. What I try to do mostly is, drop down and do a quick u-air to try to get a hitbox through the map, or I'll drop down and cyclone back up if they are edge-guarding. But even this is a problem for me when they are waiting back a few feet from the ledge and trying to do the F-smash tactic or something similar.

Other than these problems I'm pretty good with Luigi, and don't really struggle with much besides a few MU's and the only reason I struggle with them is because they can easiliy hit me off the map and I can't seem to get back on safetly. So If I can correct this I think it will make my weegee a ton better.

Anyone have some suggestions?

BSP

Smash Legend
Don't get predictable when using nair on the way down though. As high as its priority is, people can outspace it, and hit you back up, or off the stage.

And, if you're on the ledge, don't feel rushed to get back up. When you do, you usually put yourself into a bad position. You can do jump to fireball to re-grab to mindgame them about. To be honest, Luigi is pretty limited at the edge, so you gotta use what you do have and mix it up a bit.

AxelPurpleMissle

Smash Journeyman

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I do have a question, probably the most n00b Luigi question ever.

So, I know how to recover with Cyclone and the like but I have to ask, if you lose your second jump and are falling I know you can do Cyclone to recover, but how do you do it? I either suck at it completely or I don't know something.

I feel like it doesn't come out when I try it. Thank you~!

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I do have a question, probably the most n00b Luigi question ever.

So, I know how to recover with Cyclone and the like but I have to ask, if you lose your second jump and are falling I know you can do Cyclone to recover, but how do you do it? I either suck at it completely or I don't know something.

I feel like it doesn't come out when I try it. Thank you~!
There are 2 types of rising cyclones

RJC (Rising Jump Cyclone) and RC (Rising Cyclone, also known as a NJC for No Jump Cyclone).
RJC: If you jump and cyclone at the same time, it is much easier, but it gets rid of a jump. It goes higher as you jump as well
RC: Rising cyclone, the type you are talking about, is just mashing B, it is much harder to do as you don't have the momentum of the jump but it keeps your double jump so it is overall better usually.

RC's are much harder. If I am not mistaken, RC's take around half the tap speed of the melee cyclone while RC's take around 1/4 the tap speed (around 12 per vs 8 per).

Practice doing it in training mode, just make sure not to fast fall and MASH MASH MASH.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Thanks a lot, those were both really helpful. The main problem was as you said yoshq, I had fastfallen.

HyL!

Smash Lord
jab 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1, as many times, predict a roll. punish with whatever or if they jab, shield and grab. all kinds of setups D: does this seem useful? i'm finding it work quite a bit

BSP

Smash Legend
What do you guys think of Rainbow Cruise with Luigi?

He's got great aerials, but he's just so dang slow. Everyone can outmanuver well on the stage.

I tend to avoid it. Thoughts?

TreK

Is "that guy"
Luigi's air speed is not his problem on RC imo, but most of our kills are grounded (usmash, up B, fsmash...) so I tend to avoid RC and brinstar as Luigi most of the time.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Luigi would be top 5 in the game with warios airspeed. Top 3 if he had normal traction in addition to the airspeed.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Luigi would actually be a top tier if jab1 had 2 frames of lag removed.
Too bad.

Top Bottom