• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Regispike discussion VIDEO ADDED!

trevbang

Smash Cadet
I worked pretty hard on testing this so I hope it passes muster. Someone else (good at making videos) can make one if they want.

How to do the technique.
First lure your opponent to the edge of the stage (maybe as if preparing for a regicide). Place yourself between your opponent and the edge so that you are facing your opponent.
1.TAP B (or whatever 'special' is set to) to inhale your opponent
2.IMMEDIATELY tap jump and TAP away from the stage
3.Press press towards the stage
4.Press A (or whatever 'attack' is set to) to spit your opponent
5.Quickly recover to the stage

My notes:
In step two, if you miss the timing and do not jump (because they are struggling) just spit them up and try again later.
Step 4 has the most difficult timing. You must spit them up after you have passed a threshhold of the stage so they are significantly under but not too late or you will die. When in doubt err on the side of too late and you will do a simple regicide.
I have tested this on Final Destination, Battlefield, Lylat Cruise, and Pokemon Stadium 1. It works on all of them. The timing on Pokemon Stadium is by far the hardest because the sides are thicker and go straight down.
This technique's effectiveness is not dependant on the opponents damage and quite possible at 0%
Sometimes the opponents struggleing knocks me off the edge before I can jump, as long as you are facing towards the stage, USE THIS ADVANTAGE. Just move yourself slightly under the stage and proceed as usual.

Disclaimers:
This technique basically never works on Kirby, Jigglypuff, Metaknight, Dedede, and Pit.
This technique may work on computers but do not spam or abuse against human opponents. Use this as a surprise attack if you are fighting near the edge. On the other hand, once they are in your mouth and you have jumped there is nothing they can do about it. Just don't become predictable and then whine you get punished.
Yes, I know it isn't technically a spike. The name is just a combination of regicide and bair spike.

Please stroke my ego and tell me how awesome this is and how I am a genius for coming up with it. **:cry: jk don't kill me!**
Actually please just take it and do some tests for me. Maybe make a demonstrative video. Comment on when it works or when it doesn't work. Suggest some improvements.

If someone else has already suggested this please point me to where it has been published and discussed and I will be happy to relinquish all superiority I have felt for thinking I was the first to come up with this.

Just try it out and tell me what you think!

My video! Yeah, I know it sucks...
[URL]http://www.youtube.com/v/57Zucp9RJXY[/URL]

**NEW STUFF**
I have tested this on Final Destination with every character.
It does not work on Kirby, Metaknight, Dedede, Jigglypuff, or Pit
It basically does not work on Charizard but for some reason he couldn't recover a couple times. If you do it just right he may get stuck. (Further testing needed)
The timing for Wolf, Game & Watch, and Wario is very difficult but still possible. Wolf's and Game &Watch's up B's bend around the stage to an extent so sometimes they make it back. Wario's over B often allows him to get out from under the stage and recover (If his bike is on stage his recover is negligible.
Setting up Ice Climbers is very difficult because if you get one the other can knock it out of you. Try to do it if they are separated or Nana is already dead.

If you think you have superior recovery or trick with a character not already mentioned PLEASE pm me and we can set up a test.

sweetooth

Smash Ace
man, if this works it ounds like it could be good. but.... bthrow>>edgeguard also works. lol. i woould love to see some vids of this though. maybe add some spice to my DDD

emmawatsonsboyfriend

Smash Rookie
If you friend me and send me a replay I can upload a video for you.

I've tried this and I always either die or my opponent is able to recover. If your technique can optimize everything, that can be pretty useful.

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
you didnt say what happens. are you stage spiking the opponent? if so, they can tech (i think.... you can wall tech in brawl right?)

rigapeen

Smash Apprentice
ohhh i see. so it only works on a few stages. has anyone tested the effectiveness of stage spiking say on FD? is it safer to suicide on FD?

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
i doubt this will work on sonic or wario (wario can go under alot of stages, sonic just needs that friggen spring),snake can c4, rob can recover, and you need to get to the edge quick against a pikachu. link and young link are questions cuz of bomb cut, i would also say yoshi is questionable because he can go under BF. if lucario can jump ->upb to clingjump he may survive some things too. luigi can prolly, downb, if done correctly. if lucas can get out from under the stage, no matter how far down he can glitch jump. i think you need a bit more testing, many characters have interesting ways of recovering.

Buuman

Smash Ace
Good idea IMO, I figure the more options we have with D3 the better, this is definitely gonna have it's use at times, but good find nonetheless. I'm probably gonna fool around with it and see what works and what doesnt, for example, the percents - as in when to inhale and you're opponent won't have enough time to get out

Frey

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute? This is new? Ive been using this online since i first heard of regicide, Well grats to the TC, for making a guide for the people who havent heard of it.

Rainbow TroUt

Smash Cadet
If you stand at the very edge of the ground facing your enemy and inhale them the knock back will inch you over the edge without the jump. Gives them a little less time to get out of it.. but it doesn't seem very practical to use all the time.

CO18

Smash Hero
This doesnt work with every character.

Wolf is one that at least can recover, because ive tried it on him dont know who else.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Question! When I fisrt saw the title of this thread I was thinking when you spat them out, you'd spit them into that part of the stage on FD. The part of the stage that makes you spike. Can stars spike off of that part?

theGreatDekuTree

Smash Journeyman
Wait a minute? This is new? Ive been using this online since i first heard of regicide, Well grats to the TC, for making a guide for the people who havent heard of it.
this man speaks the trooth!
its cool to post up vids of it in action, but ddds inhale tricks arent a new thing,
its new to being posted on smashboards.
btw you acknowledge it isnt a spike, so why must we call it that?
its more like a canceled regicide, and only works on certain stages/characters

Samus-T

Smash Lord
lol "i recommend not using this on human opponents" as soon as u spat out the cpu, it up b'd and didnt even jump or di. so easy to escape and make it back. Nice try though XD

trevbang

Smash Cadet
If you stand at the very edge of the ground facing your enemy and inhale them the knock back will inch you over the edge without the jump. Gives them a little less time to get out of it.. but it doesn't seem very practical to use all the time.
You should have plenty of time to jump off after sucking them up.

This doesnt work with every character.

Wolf is one that at least can recover, because ive tried it on him dont know who else.
It isn't not particularly useful against characters with multiple jumps, Wolf, G&W, and Wario. The rest are fair game.

Question! When I fisrt saw the title of this thread I was thinking when you spat them out, you'd spit them into that part of the stage on FD. The part of the stage that makes you spike. Can stars spike off of that part?
Again, it doesn't actually knock them downward, it traps them under the stage so they can't recover.

this man speaks the trooth!
its cool to post up vids of it in action, but ddds inhale tricks arent a new thing,
its new to being posted on smashboards.
btw you acknowledge it isnt a spike, so why must we call it that?
its more like a canceled regicide, and only works on certain stages/characters
I have never seen this used, I'm sure people have thought to do it but as far as being able to consistently pull it off and integrate it into their gameplay I doubt.
I call it a spike because it is a combinatation of the concepts regicide and bair spike. If you have a better name then that is fine. Regispike is just what I chose to call it.Personally I find it much easier to do than the bair spike.
My first title sums it up. Why Regicide when you could Regispike. I can tell you that for all of the characters and stages that it works on it ALWAYS works, unless you mess it up. It isn't like other Advanced Techniques don't have limitations. Not to mention the stages that it works on are most of the Tournament "neutral" stages. Again, if you do it my way, it is much easier to do than a bair spike.

lol "i recommend not using this on human opponents" as soon as u spat out the cpu, it up b'd and didnt even jump or di. so easy to escape and make it back. Nice try though XD
You missed the repeatedly part. Probably once or twice per match would be fine. Basically if you can get them fighting you on the edge you can do it. All I was saying is don't be predictable but that goes for anything in brawl. Like I said, if you think you can escape it PM me and we can do a test. If you can consitently escape it then I would admit that it doesn't work. My question is, what would you do differently from the computer?

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I used this against a human opponent who nearly managed to get back to the stage. The reason he didn't was b/c I b-aired him into a stage spike. It's a great follow up to get you back and to make sure your opponent doesn't.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
if he tries coming back up, you could always suck him again. or if hes pit in his upb, just knock him away and hes screwd.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
ive used this a couple times, and i must say it definitely works. some character can recover but thats where some b-airs come in or f-air to a stage spike. alot of times though when u shoot them low enough, along with the edgehog its mostly over. great technique in my eyes.

Doval

Smash Lord
It worked against the Level 9 CPU because it was stupid and Up-B'd straight out of the Star Shot. Marth can make it back simply by moving towards the stage while using the upwards momentum you get from coming out of the star shot, waiting a bit, jumping, waiting a bit more to get out from under the stage, and THEN using Dolphin Slash. Mario and Link can do it too (although with Link, he just barely makes it.) Samus makes it back no prob (as a matter of fact, Samus can go traverse the underside of FD and make it back TO THE OTHER EDGE.) Yoshi can also make it back. Sonic can make it back with room to spare. Young Link would undoubtedly make it back, and Lucario most likely as well; if he doesn't make it with Extremespeed, then he could with his Wallcling. I'm sure the list of characters that can make it back if you don't interfere goes on and on.

I won't deny that it puts the opponent in a very bad position and could very easily lead to death, but I wouldn't say that they can't recover from merely being spat out under the stage.

This was done in Training Mode at 1/4 speed with me using both controllers (I wouldn't be able to do change back and forth between controllers efficiently at normal speed.)

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
The only problem I see with is that you were using 1/4 speed, where you have plenty of time to do everything perfectly.

Doval

Smash Lord
The thing is, many characters make it back with room to spare, particularly if they're floaty, have an average or above average mid-air jump, and average or above average vertical recovery. For example, Sonic PASSES the edge, Samus can make it back to either edge, Ness can almost make it back from under the stage with his MIDAIR JUMP alone (and therefore Lucas should be able to as well). Fox can make it back with room to spare (I say that because he grabs the edge out of the Fire Fox before the move finishes.)

It would probably take a couple of times to get the timing down in real time but it's not very hard. You just have to space out your jump and your Up-B so you don't waste air time. Hell, even Ganondorf can make it back (though he's one of the characters that really cuts it close.)

All I'm saying is that there's a rather significant amount of characters that can make it back with a relatively wide margin of error. Even if I'm doing it in 1/4 mode, for many characters, it looks pretty ****ed easy, and for a handful of others, at the very least feasable. It seems that the characters that can't come back are an exception rather than the rule, and thus the technique on its own isn't as solid as it's claimed to be. (Again, I must say that it's still very handy because of the position it puts your foe in; I also haven't been able to check if Dedede can grab the edge before them.)

EDIT: Pikachu, Snake, G&W, Ness, Lucas, ZS Samus, R.O.B., Toon Link, Zelda and Sonic can all make it under FD in addition to coming back normally, many of which with room to spare. All these characters not only avoid death, they also avoid further edgeguarding by making it to the other side. There are probably more (Wario, maybe Lucario?)

Doval

Smash Lord
Ok, tested every character in FD.

Characters that can't recover:
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers

Characters that can recover, but can't pass under FD:
Mario
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Characters who can both recover normally and pass under FD:
Everyone else. Some characters make it under FD with distance to spare and may be able to pass under an extra long stage like Smashville.

Note: Every character can both recover and pass under Battlefield, since it's narrower and much flatter on the bottom. Every character can also recover under Pokemon Stadium 2 since it's also flat and the pillar on the bottom prevents you from shooting them too far under the stage.

By the way, Sonic doesn't need to do that Homing Attack trick thing to pass under FD. His jump and Up B are enough.

EDIT: Removed Ike and Luigi from the list of characters that can't recover. Ike can recover if he shortens the length of the Star Shot by cancelling it with an air dodge. Luigi can recover easily, I wasn't using his Down B because I didn't realize how much better it is for recovery now. For that matter, removed Diddy from the list of characters that can't make it under FD, I wasn't using his Forward B; he actually makes it quite easily. Also removing Link because while he can't pull it off at 0% (well, 10% really when you take Star Shot damage into account,) he needs very little percentage to make it under FD with a bomb (throwing it up against the roof as he uses his mid-air jump.)

Doval

Smash Lord
Minor bump. Bowser, DK, and Ice Climbers can all recover if they shorten the length of the Star Shot by cancelling it with an air dodge. In other words, every character can recover, even if some of them need to shorten the Star Shot to pull it off. The list should read like this:

Characters that can only recover if they cancel the Star Shot with an Air Dodge:
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Ike

Characters that can recover without canceling the Star Shot but can't pass under FD:
Mario
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Characters that can recover without canceling the Star Shot and CAN pass under FD:
Everyone else.

Every character can pass under Battlefield, Lylat Cruise and Smashville, and are also pretty much guaranteed to recover at Pokemon Stadium 2 as well.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Don't work against Sonic... or, at least Lucky's Sonic. He has a trick that lets him traverse the underside of ANY stage.
By "trick" I assume you are referring to Sonic's neutral B under a stage... right?

Doval said:
Minor bump. Bowser, DK, and Ice Climbers can all recover if they shorten the length of the Star Shot by cancelling it with an air dodge. In other words, every character can recover, even if some of them need to shorten the Star Shot to pull it off. The list should read like this:

Characters that can only recover if they cancel the Star Shot with an Air Dodge:
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ice Climbers
Ike

Characters that can recover without canceling the Star Shot but can't pass under FD:
Mario
Squirtle
Ivysaur

Characters that can recover without canceling the Star Shot and CAN pass under FD:
Everyone else.

Every character can pass under Battlefield, Lylat Cruise and Smashville, and are also pretty much guaranteed to recover at Pokemon Stadium 2 as well.
As far as I'm concerned anything that gets your enemy off of the stage is effective. Even if most characters can return, they can't as easily do so if you follow up with an attack, such as a bair. This is still a viable strategy-- even despite the fact that it doesn't guarantee a kill.

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
what level computer, becaus ewhatever that was it did not sturggle at all. If thats accurate for human reaction then never mind.

Doval

Smash Lord
As far as I'm concerned anything that gets your enemy off of the stage is effective. Even if most characters can return, they can't as easily do so if you follow up with an attack, such as a bair. This is still a viable strategy-- even despite the fact that it doesn't guarantee a kill.
I don't disagree with that, I just disagree with the way it was presented - as if it'd kill most characters. Not only does it fail to directly kill every single character, all but 7 can pass under FD and recover to the other ledge, and you can't do much of anything to stop that. Of those 7, one is Ice Climbers, which you can't Inhale until you've taken care of Nana, and another is Ike, and stopping his Aether recovery would be pretty hard. Mario's Up-B would also be pretty hard to stop. That leaves you with about 4 characters you may be able to take care of afterwards. When you take into consideration how hard it is to put someone under the edge without them breaking out of Inhale before you've even gone under, it's far from being reliable or lethal.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I don't disagree with that, I just disagree with the way it was presented - as if it'd kill most characters. Not only does it fail to directly kill every single character, all but 7 can pass under FD and recover to the other ledge, and you can't do much of anything to stop that. Of those 7, one is Ice Climbers, which you can't Inhale until you've taken care of Nana, and another is Ike, and stopping his Aether recovery would be pretty hard. Mario's Up-B would also be pretty hard to stop. That leaves you with about 4 characters you may be able to take care of afterwards. When you take into consideration how hard it is to put someone under the edge without them breaking out of Inhale before you've even gone under, it's far from being reliable or lethal.

Hmm, I suppose you have a point. In any case, I have yet to implement this anyway-- it's probably not necessary as there is more risk involved than D3's other KO options.

Chudster91

Smash Rookie
this probably isint the most useful of tactics but I can see it working well if used just once in a game considering a lot of players are going to be surprised at the fact that their under the stage. The real problem with testing if a characters has the ability to recover from this is the fact that whomever is being the suckee knows whats about to happen and is prepared for it unlike in a real match where most of the time this move would be used no more than once and should be a suprise to the opponent.

It really needs to be tested online or in tournament where people won't expect it. Its not surprising that every character can recover when they know what's coming.

Doval

Smash Lord
It really needs to be tested online or in tournament where people won't expect it. Its not surprising that every character can recover when they know what's coming.
The element of surprise only works once. It's also kind of hard not to see this kind of thing coming when you're jumping off the edge while hugging the stage with the person.

Top Bottom