• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sheik in B+ Guide

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Sheik pretty much just needs to get any character off-stage and abuse fair lock, except of course for MK.
One of my friends mains Sheik in plus, and I swear, every time he does that I wanna scream, so cheap and so effective.
His excuse is Sheik has trouble killing, but is that really true anymore? I don't think so. >_>

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
Sheik has trouble killing through methods other than gimping (the forward smash has been improved significantly, but other than that or up smash she's going to try to gimp you). Sheik relies a lot on finding an opening for a combo and then finishing by getting the opponent offstage, were she proceeds to keep them off as long as possible.

So when Sheik starts fairing you off the stage, try to not use your second jump and try to DI away from her (DI high enough so that she can't continue to fall and fair you, but not so high so that she hits you with a jump>fair).

If your recovery is decent and maneuverable enough, you should be able to make Sheik work a bit harder than she's used to in gimping you and risk overextending. Either that, or she will return to the stage and try again, which is when you should try to recover.

And by recover, I mean try to recover very high, or pretty low, depending on who you are. If you're toon link, maybe you can try to get a bomb and throw it up as you recover from below, or you can try to intercept her with a boomerang when recovering high. Recovering at about stage height is just asking the Sheik to throw needles at you, but if you recover from below she has to position herself to hit you with them, and if you recover high it's impossible without a platform.

Alternatively, you can try to recover as high as possible from the start, which might be the only option depending on who you are (Snake, Falco).

I'm sorry about the long post, but gimping is Sheik's greatest strength, aside from combo-ing you for a lot of damage. Learning your friend's gimping strategies while changing your recovery methods is probably your best bet when offstage. I hope it helped, unfortunately I don't have much experience against characters with good recoveries (from Sheik's perspective at least), as I usually play against a Snake/Falco player or a Ganondorf player.

Yingyay

Smash Ace
Sheik has trouble killing through methods other than gimping (the forward smash has been improved significantly, but other than that or up smash she's going to try to gimp you). Sheik relies a lot on finding an opening for a combo and then finishing by getting the opponent offstage, were she proceeds to keep them off as long as possible.

So when Sheik starts fairing you off the stage, try to not use your second jump and try to DI away from her (DI high enough so that she can't continue to fall and fair you, but not so high so that she hits you with a jump>fair).

If your recovery is decent and maneuverable enough, you should be able to make Sheik work a bit harder than she's used to in gimping you and risk overextending. Either that, or she will return to the stage and try again, which is when you should try to recover.

And by recover, I mean try to recover very high, or pretty low, depending on who you are. If you're toon link, maybe you can try to get a bomb and throw it up as you recover from below, or you can try to intercept her with a boomerang when recovering high. Recovering at about stage height is just asking the Sheik to throw needles at you, but if you recover from below she has to position herself to hit you with them, and if you recover high it's impossible without a platform.

Alternatively, you can try to recover as high as possible from the start, which might be the only option depending on who you are (Snake, Falco).

I'm sorry about the long post, but gimping is Sheik's greatest strength, aside from combo-ing you for a lot of damage. Learning your friend's gimping strategies while changing your recovery methods is probably your best bet when offstage. I hope it helped, unfortunately I don't have much experience against characters with good recoveries (from Sheik's perspective at least), as I usually play against a Snake/Falco player or a Ganondorf player.
This basically sums up Sheik lol.
You gotta be creative with your recovery if you wanna get past a decent sheik tho.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I figure this thread needs a boost... so...

I have taken an absence from Brawl+ to try out BBrawl, so can anyone summarize how Sheik is now (if there were any changes) in comparison to... like, three or four nightly builds ago?

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
I believe her fsmash has been improved significantly. It kills a lot sooner, so it gives Sheik some options when she can't combo the opponent off the stage.

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
I think she has melee style needles now, although I haven't tried it yet(I really need to get on that...). Has anyone been experimenting with them?

V-K

Smash Ace
I think it´s hard to finish if you play as Shiek.
Gimping doesn´t work on every character.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Sheik's best kill move: Down-B

Seriously, learning to play both (while not necessary) will give you a big advantage in the long run.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i don't find killing with sheik that hard since she combos like a monster she sets up easy gimps. She also steals jumps like the hamburglar steals burgers with her needles. But caesar is right if you cant get the kill or the gimp changing to zelda would be the right choice since she is a powerhouse. But as shiek i mostly just kill with her f-air since almost everything combos into it. It might not be the strongest move but its been buffed enough to get good kills with imo

skstylez

Smash Journeyman
i love sheik, i sorda wish the U-air had a little bigger hitbox on the sides of the foot or something, but i don't know how fair it would be since its speed is increased

OverLade

Smash Hero
I just wanted to say that Sheik is ****ING AMAZING in the new brawl +, and I've never ever had so much fun ****** anyone with a character as I had with Sheik.

I'll post some videos and stuff. It makes me want to use Sheik in Melee.

SymphonicSage12

Smash Master
Attempt at Sheik physics rework:

http://www.mediafire.com/?doku34otjny

Changes from Cape's latest set:

Walk Initial Velocity: 0.2 ->0.35
Walk Acceleration: 0.1 ->0.3
Walk Maximum Velocity: 1.3 ->1.55
Stopping Velocity: 0.06 ->0.069
Dash & Stop Turn Initial Velocity: 1.7 ->2.1
Stop Turn Decelaration: 0.1143 ->0.17
Stop Turn Acceleration: 0.04 ->0.11
Run Initial Velocity: 1.92 ->2.35
Jump V Initial Velocity: 3.37 ->3.34
Jump H Initial Velocity: 1.4 ->1.7
Air Jump Multiplier: 1.1 ->1.35
Gravity: 0.1409 ->0.174
Terminal Velocity: 1.58 ->1.815
Air Mobility: 0.08 ->0.096
Air Stopping Mobility: 0.01 ->0.07
Maximum H Air Velocity: 0.846 ->0.87
Edge Jump V Velocity: 1.4 ->1.6
Edge Jump H Velocity: 3.4 ->3.6
WallJump H Velocity: 1.4 ->1.8
WallJump V Velocity: 2.8 ->3.4

Comment and discuss plz :)

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
Hm this looks pretty cool. I'll see how it looks and edit my post later...

On another note, it seems like this Sheik thread is finally starting to do something after like 2 months hiatus, which is a good thing lol

jalued

Smash Lord
Attempt at Sheik physics rework:

http://www.mediafire.com/?doku34otjny

Changes from Cape's latest set:

Walk Initial Velocity: 0.2 ->0.35
Walk Acceleration: 0.1 ->0.3
Walk Maximum Velocity: 1.3 ->1.55
Stopping Velocity: 0.06 ->0.069
Dash & Stop Turn Initial Velocity: 1.7 ->2.1
Stop Turn Decelaration: 0.1143 ->0.17
Stop Turn Acceleration: 0.04 ->0.11
Run Initial Velocity: 1.92 ->2.35
Jump V Initial Velocity: 3.37 ->3.34
Jump H Initial Velocity: 1.4 ->1.7
Air Jump Multiplier: 1.1 ->1.35
Gravity: 0.1409 ->0.174
Terminal Velocity: 1.58 ->1.815
Air Mobility: 0.08 ->0.096
Air Stopping Mobility: 0.01 ->0.07
Maximum H Air Velocity: 0.846 ->0.87
Edge Jump V Velocity: 1.4 ->1.6
Edge Jump H Velocity: 3.4 ->3.6
WallJump H Velocity: 1.4 ->1.8
WallJump V Velocity: 2.8 ->3.4

Comment and discuss plz :)
no offense SS, but shouldn't we wait till universal gravity changes/speed changes are implemented before any of this? no offense meant ofc

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Sheik in the Near Gold set is simply amazing. The new crouch-canceled dash mechanic gave Sheik (Luigi, too, to a lesser extent) the ability to crawldash both ways, and then some. And it amplified the left crawldash, too. It's as if wavedashing is in again, but better. Sheik's probably by far the best one to do all of this with, too.
And sliding d-smashes from simply doing a double-forward tap to d-smash is way too good.

I just love the new Sheik. She was one of my best before, but with this, I think I can finally choose an official main.

Eten

Smash Ace
It's like a crypt in here..

Crouch cancelled dash let's her have a whole new level over approach game. Sheik has probably the most solid game of any brawl+ character. Needles and speed and crouching under projectiles let's her have complete offensive and defensive flexibility over approach game. Sheik's manipulation over the stage is significant too, it's easy to maneuver your opponent off the stage. Her edgeguard game is only moderate compared to some, but the sheer frequency you can get some out there still means it's about half of her KOs.

I see a lot of videos of sheik and maybe due to it being an older version but she does not need to be nearly that fancy. It's ok to just needle ***** and read your opponent, rather than go through all the work of constantly throwing out moves hoping to space and mind-game each one in for an opportunity- leave that to the poor saps without good projectiles or significant one-move super approach tools, like Marth.

Current Sheik is just my style. Flexible game never leaves her with a restricted moveset in any matchup, which is huge, with lots of control and risk minimization.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
bumbing b/c sheik needs some love. I feel b/c her weaknesses such as recovery and lack of kill power people don't notice just how amazing she can be. or maybe the reason people are not posting about her is b/c in a older version of b+ she was not good so now no one plays her idk. Maybe the OP has to be changed

Anyway she can be a beast she combos everything, and her combos work up to ridicules damages. Sheik is like a much more balanced version of her melee self everything combos into fair.

i want to post move about her but i have 4 test coming up this week and a paper do so i don't have time to tart going into specific MU's, let me just say imo she seems to wreck CF, Fox, Falco and i am sure plenty more but i still need more experience with her before i name others.

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Just a quick question!

It seems like with just about every character I play, once Sheik gets me in the air, there's nothing I can do other than taking 4+ hits and just hoping I can recover after. The only time I can get out is when I play Wolf and use his shine or play Jiggz because I usually float too high to hit after a jump.

Is there anything specifically that I can do to get out of (I think this is the throw) uthrow>uair/fair combos? I've tried DIing up and away but I still get destroyed :( (If you need specific characters, I usually use Lucas, Pika, Jiggz, CF, Ganon, Pit, etc) Any help is much appreciated! <3

Sheik's biggest issue is killing heavier characters or anyone with a decent recovery (MK, Snake, Kirby, Wario, Yoshi), and has a big problem outright killing in general. Her best option for a straight kill move is probably USmash, which is slow and has crap range. Sheik relies on rushing down and controlling the stage until the opponent is high enough percent for a gimp with fair/bair or a DACUS, but the problem is she has no guaranteed follow-ups into any kill moves, which sucks against heavies who aren't fat like Wario or Yoshi, or floaties like Jiggs or Squirtle.

Plus her recovery is downright awful. If you're at stage level or lower and your opponet grabs the ledge you can kiss that stock goodbye. Her predictable recovery also makes her prime bait for edgeguarders such as Jiggs, Sonic, D3, Kirby, MK or even Sheik herself, and Falco's/Wolf's lasers can make Sheik's already perilous task of recovering even harder.

I guess the main idea is to rush them down with grabs, fairs/nairs and tilts, control the stage with needles, set up for early edgehogs very quickly so as you can still combo into fair/bair, and never EVER get caught offstage by your opponent if you can avoid it.

Just my opinion.

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
Is there any possibility of a match-up discussion starting (or re-starting) now that 7.0 is out? Technically Falco and Marth have been looked at a little, but considering that it was a while ago we should probably redo them along with the rest of the cast.

So from that, which characters do you guys think give Sheik the most trouble? Since Xaoz mentioned that Sheik has problems with heavy characters and those with good recoveries, should we start with one of those?

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Yes, also I'm picking up Shiek I do have some problems with CF personally, no DI got me escaping his dash->grab->anything else.
Yeah, and Sheik's recovery is very predictable so idk

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Your sheik is certainly off to a good start but I did notice you used dash attack way too much when you rushed in. Dash attack has poor endlag and really doesn't set up for much. Dash canceled D-tilt, F-tilt, Grab and Jab are all better options if you are going to rush in on the ground. N-air and F-air are good aerial approachs. Use N-air to cross up and you can try and poke with F-air. Now don't remove dash attack, just remember that Sheik has amazing options out of a dash cancel.

Also, try and use Needle Cancels (aerial needles) a little more. Though Sheik is all about the rush down, taking a few seconds to needle camp always throws an opponent off.

Your gimp and kill game was solid and your combos were pretty spot on for the most part as was most of your general play. A few silly mistakes on both sides, but no one plays perfect :) Try and mix up your ground game approach and you'll have a solid secondary.

Though his comment is old, Xaoz summary of Sheik is pretty spot on. Sheik does have a really fast tether and if the opponent gives you even a moment then you should totally take it. That's about the only way to mix her recovery up. Learn the range on the tether because it never ceases to surprise.

Dash canceled F-smash is also not a terrible KO move since it now auto-connects. The sweetspot on u-air is also a pretty solid KO move from a d-throw since the hitstun on d-throw is pretty high. With the smaller boundaries and much lower ceilings I could see Sheik having at least one solid KO option.

Overall, I think Sheik is a little better then it sounded like Xoaz was giving her credit, but she isn't ****-tastic Melee Sheik. Frankly, you could always try Zero Suit who is really just a better Sheik in my opinion. Slightly worse rushdown but better KO options and she has better range and the fastest jab in the game

Veril

Frame Savant
Frankly, you could always try Zero Suit who is really just a better Sheik in my opinion. Slightly worse rushdown but better KO options and she has better range and the fastest jab in the game
Sure... if you discount Sheik's overwhelmingly superior grab game, gimping, and ability to change into Zelda.

Otherwise your post was a good read.

DotheDiddyMonkeyDance

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm not sure if it was brought up but shiek is a monster character to play as for one she can still chain grab fast fallers/heavy characters to which I thought CG's were supposed out. I believe its her forward throw that it works well on those types of characters. Also her Tilts are insane she can keep you in a tilt lock for a long time.

@stRIP I think both are an equally good choice. I would primarly take a shiek due to she has a faster transform time in to zelda now and also gives you more options.

crazycrackers

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm not sure if it was brought up but shiek is a monster character to play as for one she can still chain grab fast fallers/heavy characters to which I thought CG's were supposed out. I believe its her forward throw that it works well on those types of characters.
If I'm not mistaken its Dthrow, unless that was removed since I last played Sheik against my friend's Falcon.

Chaos Reign

Smash Cadet
I don't think dthrow can really chain anyone unless they are at a very low percentage and they DI improperly (maybe fast-fallers, but I'm not sure). Sure, you can link them together, but for the most part the opponent will have some method of getting out of it. Still, dthrow allows for plenty of combo opportunities anyways, so it doesn't matter too much that she can't chain grab super effectively.

Anyway, are LUCARIO and Shiek a good choice as secondaries for a Ganon Main?
Some Good Reasons:

If you have trouble with projectiles, then Shiek is a good option because of her speed, as it will allow her to avoid them effectively. Shiek's speed in general will allow you to get around a lot of problems that slow characters like Ganon experience. Shiek's grabs also lead up to a lot of favorable situations and combos, so they are at least a little more useful for her game than with Ganon's throws, and as a result you'll be able to mix grabs into your play-style more frequently than with Ganon.

Some Bad Reasons:

Shiek doesn't get tossed around like Ganon does simply because she's smaller, but it's not like she's Luigi or Yoshi who can get out of combos fairly easily, so choosing Shiek just for that reason isn't really a good idea. Both Ganon and Shiek have predictable recoveries, although Shiek's chain does have its uses and can be a fairly quick way of returning to the ledge, but only if the opponent essentially lets you use it. Also, Shiek has a large problem with killing characters outside of gimping, so you have to be careful not to trade many hits or else you will be at kill percentages before your opponent will be.

I don't really play Lucario so unfortunately I can't give you any advice with that.

EDIT: I almost forgot about Shiek's needles. Her needles are great for edge-guarding, mixing up her approach, and harassing opponents (especially those without projectiles or an effective way around them).

.Marik

is a social misfit
Just posting here to say I secondary Shiek now.

Good stuff, should have videos of me playing her up soon.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
It should only chain throw if the person DIs away, otherwise if they DI up and in Sheik can't regrab them and can only go for a Bair/Uair.
DIing up at low percentage = Up smash. not sure how long this last but against Fast Fallers its up to a decent percentage (not killing though)

Krautrock

Smash Apprentice
I dunno how many people even play this anymore, but I thought I'd ask:

Does anyone have advice for the Wolf matchup? I feel like in theory it shouldn't be so bad as Wolf is rather susceptible to Sheik's combos, but I'm having serious difficulty. Wolf's longer range and higher priority air moves are giving me problems, and I'm also having difficulty finishing him off until a very high percent - typically 150 or so. I painstakingly wrack up damage only to be finished off by his bair / fair pretty low. What should I be doing to edgeguard / punish his recovery?

Top Bottom