• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Bros. Brawl Complaint Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
1. The title screen. Really. What were they thinking when they made it? Come on, it's just a bunch of mixed up cinematics from the Subspace Emissary. I got really disappointed when I first watched the title screen, as I had already watched some SSE cinematics on YouTube before.
You know, I notice that myself. Heck, even the first Super Smash Bros's opening was more original than Brawl's. At first, I thought it would be interesting having the characters you unlocked on the screen at first, but then it show the same exact thing for the cinematics. I guess that's how lazy they were when they made the title screen.

Tenki

Smash Hero
-HAY. Legos are infinite cookie cutter options! >:[

- I thought the Title screen idea was clever, using the end of the game as the "beginning" of the game- all the fighting that you do in FFA's and 1v1 is after the whole SSE ordeal. Mebbe it's cause I'm like.. a lit nerd and like things that can be interpreted symbolically like that XD

marth is different?

wtf, hes like the least changed of every melee vet. only one of his attacks has a different animation....
pretty much.

Well, some of his moves are more useful now, giving him variety. People just tend to choose to play the same way that they did in Brawl Melee*. There's a thread on that in the Marth boards.

aequitas.veritas

Smash Apprentice
i ****ing hate boss battles and everything that has to do with the intense level. screw duon! i hate that ***. i cant fricken beat it and that part of the game isn't getting ANY MORE HOURS OF MY TIME.

i dont even care if im missing one challenge.

Patinator

Smash Champion
If there's one thing I have to complain about... Above Subspace, how hard certain things are to do, and above the less-than-stellar Stage Builder... And the characters...

It's how much stuff Sakurai MADE UP when it came to Star Fox.

Wolf never had a Landmaster.

Wolf has, so far, never said anything about James.

The Wolfen NEVER looked like it does. It looked only partially similar in SF64, and wasn't even close by coloring.

...Tsk, tsk... That's what happens when someone who thinks Smash is a party game designs it...

DX

Spire

III
BRoomer
Complaining about tripping is pretty lame. It's a given that nobody likes it.

Raidein

Smash Cadet
GAWD! 4 player Brawls with human pursuing cpus piss me off to no end! Nintendo was smart to increase the difficulty, but did they honestly think making you the main target everytime would be any funner? IT'S DOWNRIGHT IRRITATING!! You can't even pull off a combo or take a f'ing breather without getting gangbanged!! Ok when a cpu taunts after another cpu kills me, that seriously makes me want to snap this game in half.....This creates no fun factor what so ever. Never has a game pissed me off so bad....If Nintendo ever plans on making another Smash THEY BETTER ELIMINATE THIS BULL****!!! :mad:

(Sorry.....Just having a bad brawl day and needed to vent -_-U)

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Tiers. The god **** tiers. I know and admit they exist, but does anyone here like them? "This guy is top tier, use him and u win." That riles me up so much I can't explain. There are tiers for characters. There are many different ways to play characters. There are different players. One god **** list can't say who will win, or who will have an advantage. Can't people make their own tier list to determine how they fare with each character? It's far more accurate. It will reduce arguments about "OMFG U N00B TIRES DON EXITS!!" or the opposite. If you don't want to do it yourself or with all the characters, get someone else to do it or do it with only the characters you will ever be bothered using. Or better yet both. I feel this deserves its own thread...

Corigames

Smash Hero
Tiers are a guide, not law. People like having guides, i.e., tiers.

Tiers just show who has the advantage going into the match, personal ability then kicks in. For me, I'd say the tier for melee should go:
Marth
Shiek
Falco
Falcon
Peach
Fox
etc.
because I play Samus. I play different and like different matchups, but the tier list is still, roughly, similar to my own.

Complaint: people who don't get tiers

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
Really? It's a guide? With the way people act its a law. A law that if you break you get sent to the deathline. Hard, and fast. My complaint is the firm pro-tier people. Not the tiers themselves. Now if people could just understand how the tiers really work I'd be satisfied. But there are idiots in this world.

Giga Hand

Smash Journeyman
I just really need to vent.

Brawl is atrocious. It's simply a bad game for competitive play. I don't know why they made it so freaking terrible. I mean I could get over the absolutely pointless and destructive add of tripping with some time but all the ridiculously stupid things they decided to add or take away just make it not even worth playing. I mean honestly it's so limited in so many freaking ways. I feel like every character is mentally handicapped while I'm playing it. I mean really no L cancelling, no wavedashing, no edgecancelling, pathetic invincibility frames on the ledges, idiotic sweetspotting, blastzones that don't even freaking make sense, unbreakable chaingrabs that completely unbalance the game, overpowered characters, characters that got nerfed worse than anyone could ever imagine, worthless dash dancing, stupid DI and lack of hitstun which makes combos almost completely nonexistant. And yet people STILL insist that it's somehow a better game than Melee. I mean HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLY EVEN THINK THAT??? The only reason that there could possibly be is either complete ignorance of Melee or just sucking so bad at it that you need it slowed down and dumbed down into Brawl just so you can play it. The worst part by far though is all the scrubs on smashboards. They all think they know everything about the game when they know absolutely nothing. In fact they usually completely disregard facts and use opinions as their sole arguments. Oh but my favorite part is when they have Melee vids of themselves on youtube. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing someone who thinks they're the sauce in Brawl playing like a freaking idiot in Melee and thinking they're good because they can sort of wavedash. And you want to yell at them and tell them just how badly they suck and they say "whatever, just cuz you can't use any of your glitches in Brawl you think the game is worse. Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah!!!
So, you don't like it because there aren't any glitches. Is that it? Everything you don't like about Brawl sounds like "OMFGWTFBBQ I CAN'T CHEAT SO I AM N00B" to me. From what I've seen about Brawl it's better than anything out there, especially Melee. You're focusing on the things that separated the professionals from the amateurs, but the absence of all that makes it MORE competitive, which is what you want, right? Sheesh, Nintendo can do the impossible, but pleasing you is beyond even that. Besides, Brawl is a party game. You said it was a bad game for competitive play. It wasn't even supposed to be one in the first place. Melee was an accident. They made more errors in the programming than you can count, wavedashing, dashdancing, and too much hitstun to name a few.

Kittah4

Smash Ace
People who think the characters are unbalanced in BRAWL obviously never played Melee, where even less skilled players could feel the effects of the tier list with a matchup like Mewtwo vs Marth.

I find all this complaining frustrating because it's going to my friend's head, and he's convinced himself Brawl isnt as fun as Mario Kart, so he only wants to play that.

mynameishector

Smash Rookie
I personally am kind of annoyed that some of the characters in the game are just pointless. I understand most of them, but Snake?! He's not even Nintendo... I do enjoy the slower pace of Brawl better though. I couldn't play too well on Melee becuase of the frame rate. I don't like the final smashes either. Some are really really good, others are really really bad. It's a little one sided, but still fun:)

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Well. Hmmm... I'm extremely impressed by the game- even as a fan of the first two, I wasn't expecting Brawl to be as epic as it is. What I was disappointed by is of little importance. I was lucky enough to get it day one and I've pretty much gotten over what bugs me.
1. Only one FS can be used at a time. I so wanted to unleash the Mario Finale at Samus's "Hyper Beam' or have Super Sonic battle Giga Bower. Kind of let-down, but no big deal.
2. A lot of my favorite items can't be used in the SSE- including the Smash Ball. I get why, but its still pretty disappointing. In this case, I was looking forward to launching the Mario Finale or Volt Tackle on Rayquaza or Porky- whoever.

But for all Brawl delivered, I can't really complain. Heh...

PKstarstorm

Smash Rookie
i will have to complain that points given to players after a game are not present anymore after finishing a multiplayer match. i have not seen anyone mention this in this thread and i miss the "all in one" award. furthermore, i believe that the statistics should have been a larger piece of the game that lists favorite levels based on play and tallies most used attacks that knockout enemies (based on use). i generally dislike all the falling down unneccessary characters and unplayable online mode too.

Eskimo776

Smash Rookie
I just wish there was filtering for the online search... there doesn't have to be names, I just wish you could get a 1v1. >_>

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
My complaint is that every character in Brawl was either overpowered or underpowered. My original thoughts in Brawl was that(hopefully in a Pal version, whatever Pal means) and have every character so buffed that you would would get irritated if you thought about who to choose because every character is that good. Though the current Brawl characters are good, the only real problem are the nerfs and that's it.

Tripping makes the game itself, too uncompetetive. It makes the players scream when they were already getting ***** in battle anyways.

I don't like to complain about anything, but this is just an idea that came to me yesterday, after I written it down in about December.

Generally, my thoughts is that Brawl, becomes fast paced(would prevent people from enjoying the sights though) A little more able to combo(the game is more mindgames now), had smashDI(DI after a smash attack instead of the airdodge or an air attack to prevent momentum), and some of the glitches that are easier to perform(just to make the game more fun). I can live without the glitches that hurts you, but if they are for fun, then add them.

The game has become a little too technical with air attacks being at the risk of not having a good short hop now, and having attacks with some little knockback.

I'm now playing Melee because my skills went way down, but Brawl helped me with dodge timing. The general attacks in Brawl can mess you up if you play melee again. I made 3 SD with Ness trying to do the second jump then the fair from off the edge, so yes...you know the story, I DJC to my doom.

I wonder if there will be anymore Melee tourneys, if not and many people/pros don't like the game, then there may be 1 of 2 options in my opinion.

1. Noobs will become pros, the ones with no technical skill and don't know what frames mean or are.
2. Players will follow in the pros footsteps and quit. Nintendo will go down in history of having made the worse smash game ever(or better than the 64 versions at least) and will make a new pal version that has everything players may want, but wouldn't buy because of the original Brawl.

The second one wasn't what I was thinking because I forgot as I was typing, but it still has that conclusion of what may happen, though it may never happen.

Hense, too unrealistic.

Sorry for just taking up more space and peoples time...about 7 mins of the fast readers.

Epsilon-Zero

Smash Rookie
So, you don't like it because there aren't any glitches. Is that it? Everything you don't like about Brawl sounds like "OMFGWTFBBQ I CAN'T CHEAT SO I AM N00B" to me. From what I've seen about Brawl it's better than anything out there, especially Melee. You're focusing on the things that separated the professionals from the amateurs, but the absence of all that makes it MORE competitive, which is what you want, right? Sheesh, Nintendo can do the impossible, but pleasing you is beyond even that. Besides, Brawl is a party game. You said it was a bad game for competitive play. It wasn't even supposed to be one in the first place. Melee was an accident. They made more errors in the programming than you can count, wavedashing, dashdancing, and too much hitstun to name a few.
^

The Quote above me is Obviously someone who isnt an idiot.

Thank you sir for explaining everything i was going to say in this one short post :chuckle:

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
^

Thank you sir for explaining everything i was going to say in this one short post :chuckle:
The game is a party game, but melee made it competetive. Do you know how hard it is to find another opponent who won't get mad at what the game lacks now, or has played me personally that they want the game to be more like melee. Melee lasted 7 years of greatness, and now that brawl is out, noobs feel they have the chance to become great like them, or at least stand a chance, but since the game is less competetive, old melee players may quit altogether.

I have no proof of them quiting, only them not playing possibly once and will not. Melee made it competetive, which makes others want it to be, and the fact that it is more of a party game now than it was before makes it worse.

The only thing to do to make it more of a party game is to add items almost everytime, then it isn't the opponent beating you, but the item. I still agree with many things he said, except the hitstun. The 64 version had 100% hitstun which is more realistice than 50% in Melee. You shouldn't complain about that. The hitstun now is around 20%, and with the lag makes combos unrealistic. The infinite wallshine isn't even infinite at all, even if it was counted as consecutive, you can still get out of it.

Plus glitches that can be performed makes the game fun or funny in curtain ways. Melee inparticular has moonwalking and multishining, which are both funny, or more fun. If you can find both then stop complaining and go to another post. Like me.

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
^

If you can perform the moves, then it's not cheating. Truely, that sounded like a noob statement. It's not cheating if everyone can do it or if you can't, because you can learn. And hitstun really. Better in melee than in Brawl, when you can't really combo anyway even if there was decent hitstun. You are barely able to tech if you try to reduce the knockback with airdodging and become a more easier target for the half a seconded needed to finish.

But I understand the Cheat part, but you shouldn't have said it anyway. Just too noobish.

Sorry.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Complaints:

-No Krystal, Ridley, Takamaru, Sukapon, Stafy, or Muddy Mole playable characters
-Not enough trophies on classic game features
-Wario is the only one with a TRUE alternate costume
-Muddy Mole wasn't even MENTIONED in the game :(
-Not enough enemies from other game besides Mario and SSB
-Online interactions could have been better :ohwell:
-Catching enemy trophies was a cool idea at first, but now it's rather bothersome
-More trophies from other games from select series's, like the LoZ, Wario, DK, Fire Emblem, etc.

...That's all I can think of for now.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Complaints

The method to get trophies is boring and tedious (though it's purely optional)
The CPU sucks and fails to simulate a real player at all.
The online isn't worth playing because it lags for almost everyone and doesn't have any features.
They removed characters from melee, why not add to the roster instead of replacing it?
It felt like it was more of a kirby game than a smash game. The whole SSE involved kirby related stuff.
You can't choose to play any music you want on any stage or menu.
The method of unlocking music is annoying.
The competitive play is not there.
Serious lack of K.Rool.
Items are more overpowered than ever.
The list goes on...

Brawl was one of the main reasons I got the wii, due to all the things mentioned above (especially about the online) I ended up selling my ds, wii and brawl. I got a PS3 instead and i'm very happy with it. Nintendo just hasn't delivered at all for me this generation.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
No Shadow the Hedgehog, he was awesome. Isaac and that other guy from Golden Sun 2 would also have been awesome.

Also, I came here for a flame war, but general complaints seem to... general to develope into this. Its actually kinda sad I even attempted two pages of this ****. I'm gonna go to the "is Brawl more or less even than melee" thread. Those guys at least keep it interesting.

Mike_Echoes

Smash Journeyman
So we're allowed to complain?

Yoshi: Stupid Dragon thing fluttery loser with your dumb eggs and your super floaty movements
Jigglypuff: Stupid floating thing!
Wario: Stupid gross floaty dude!
(I hate floaty things)
Computer Pits: Spam Side B!!!! That's all they do!!!

That's all for now

Steelia

Smash Champion
Well, guess it's better now than never to vent some of my personal complaints on the game for once. Heh heh, this should be fun.

-Characters were cut from the series, period. If anything, this is the #1 no-no in my book. Cutting characters = bad. Every character from Melee had some kind of fan base (I was personally fond of Dr. Mario and Mewtwo)... I know, you can't please everyone, and some sacrifices have to be made.
Mewtwo being cut is my #1 complaint, though. Such an awesome, powerful Pokemon, the ONLY original moveset character to be cut (just thinking of this has me fuming), and one of the most popular [Pokemon] to date, even today. He's definitely recognized amongst old-school gamers (we all should have realized by now just how much of an old-school gamer Sakurai is with adding Mr. Game & Watch, the Ice Climbers and R.O.B. in!), it surprised me to learn that Sakurai would cut such an old-school favorite. [My theory is that if Mewtwo had been in Brawl, there would have been the "too many Poke-reps" complaint. 4 Mario, 4 Zelda (technically)... 5 Pokemon? (Technically.) Which is probably why Doc was going to be added, to make the Mario rep 5, and Toon Zelda/Tetra added to make the Zelda-rep 5. Just what I think.]

-Ganondorf... is VERY awkward. Broken much? Maybe it's just me. A lot of his moves just don't seem to connect like they used to from Melee...

-Tripping at random. I could understand tripping on a banana peel or on ice, ha ha, very funny. But during the middle of battle, just out of nowhere? It's happened to me on plenty of occasions (a lot more often during Smash Ball chases around the stage), and it's highly frustrating. Not my idea of "fun"...

-The Build-a-stage option is highly promising... Too bad there's so few blocks and such to work with (though I'm not really complaining). Too bad you can't add your own backgrounds, AT LEAST.

-The names of some of the Subspace Emissary baddies... kind of sound like Pokemon names. Heh heh... "I caught you, Glice!"

-Online battles need a bit more touch-ups... If only there weren't so much lag. A few more options would be nice as well, but hey. Not bad for a first try via Wi-Fi.

-No custom soundtracks? Ahhhwww, shoot. I'd love to brawl on some custom stages (or Brawl/Past Melee stages) to some personal favorite tracks of my own. Or even brawling on Brawl/Melee stages to themes from other Brawl/Melee stages (think King K. Rool's theme or Bowser's Airship theme on the Wind Waker Pirate Ship stage).

-The new items are either very powerful [Golden Hammer] or pretty much useless [Smoke Ball].

-Same thing with POKEMON POKEBALL SUMMONS. A LOT of Legendaries, meaning they won't appear as often... Why did they cut such awesome/helpful Pokemon like Scizor, Unown, Blastoise, etc. for something like Munchlax, or as cheap as Bonsly or Weavile? The only "truly" helpful Pokemon that's still strong but not cheap is Latias/Latios... Other than that, the other Pokemon either shove you offstage too easily (Kyogre), kill you in one hit (Suicune), or have some sort of helpful power but it's either very limited in range or takes too long to load before unleashing (Torchic, Piplup). At least with Scizor, it chased you around and didn't kill you in one blow... Unown did multiple damage, but didn't cover the entire stage and didn't have high killing power... Marill is similar to Piplup, only it attacked immediately, whereas Piplup has its little starting "Piplup!" bit, making it easy to avoid... Porygon2 was always helpful by just popping out of nowhere when you least expect it, probably one of the most original Pokemon-Pokeball summons (a hit-or-miss type of Pokemon)... I'm sure the list goes on.
And I'm sure there'll be someone who will counter every last one of these vents. But hey, I'm venting, I'm having my fun while I can so I at least get it off my chest. (It's working, for anyone who cares. :p )

-Completely NERFING Samus. Wholly smokes. She was decent enough in Melee... Sure, not as much knockback as most characters, but it was bearable... Here? Her B-move has such less power than before, as do her missles... It's amazing. There are times I just use her for Smash Ball grabbing. At least her Final Smash makes up for most of her weaknesses.

-Link has some problems of his own... in my opinion. His jumps are a little... off? Or is this just me? And the timing of most of his aerial moves are a little off as well, kind of like Ganondorf's own. Ah. At least his ground moves connect pretty well.

-SNAAAAKE! You may be wearing "gear", but that shouldn't prevent you from having a decent first jump!!

-Sonic is incredibly weak (knockback-wise)... I can understand, as his speed definitely makes up for his loss of power, though. But I wish there were at least a few more moves I could use with decent knockback for nice KOs, like his down-Smash, forward-Smash, or side-aerial (behind-side-aerial, where he kicks, not twists his body).

-Yoshi's sound effects... have wayyyy too much of that squishy-fun-poppy-squeak effects to them. Wha...?

There are probably more things than this, but this is all I feel like listing as... these are the only things that really stick out, in my opinion.
Hmm, yes, I did have some fun with this, amazingly. Eheh.

Ah, well. Besides the lacking of Mewtwo, Roy and the like, Brawl is still incredibly awesome and flawless in my eyes.

Grinin

Smash Journeyman
Well, the new air dodge system has made Wave Dashing and L-Canceling impossible, and that's what gave me my edge in melee. Also, edge gaurding in pretty useless now.Oh, and who ever thought of tripping should be fired.:dizzy:

Other than that, it's awesome.

strongfan

Smash Rookie
Hm, well, I would have liked a Character customizer, where you would mix/match
moves/taunts with characters, and you would have to power those characters up with
stickers in order to actually give them effect.
Anyway, I was very disappointed with the lag during online play.
Oh, and slipping(BTW, slipping isn't random, it's pseudorandom.

Dr.Dronicus

Smash Rookie
Needs moar mudkipz.
Slipping.
Online play being nothing but lag.
Poorly designed customizable stages.

(One of those things is a joke!)

ryguy_

Smash Rookie
tripping

almost everything good is nerfed
except snake

not as much skill refinement in this game
everyone is pretty much decent

and the character selection sucks, no because the characters, but because they all have the same basic gravity, some are just slower than others

~Force-Palm

Smash Rookie
Watch the power of aura

Imma complain naow.

WHAT? NO ISAAC? ONLY TROPHY?OMFGGTFO. AND WHERE'Z DEOXYS? JUST IN POGEYBALL? NO-NO.

I'm done.
~Force-Palm

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
its sad when a game has to have a complaint thread with 56 pages roffllll

and i keep putting up with the wii because the games are...fun?

no where in 200freaking8 and we have to put up with the crap wifi while everyone else has their networks with webcams and headsets to tlak to ur friends.

SirKibble

Smash Champion
I have few complains about Brawl, but I must bring this one up.

So I bought the game, and was the first of my family to play it, so I put my name in first. As friends came over, they also put their names in. Now, I'm easily the one who plays the game the most, but my name is at the bottom of the stupid list. I think either 1) you should be able to reorganize the names' order, or 2) most commonly used names should appear at the top of the list. People who almost never play my disc dominate the first 2/3 of the list, because they put their names in later. Lame.

And you should be able to edit names. I didn't find out about the lowercase letters until after I'd put in my name and played for quite awhile, and I don't want to lose all my data/stats now...

koopa cape located at the end of rainbow road
people who complain that "melee is better then brawl" if you think that then play melee instead of brawl. There is no one stopping you from playing melee. If you dont like brawl then don't play it. My only true complaint is the lack of board the platforms and race to the finish stages in classic mode. Those were always my fav part of classic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom