• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Index

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I found a good server called Bobz Entertainment, also in NY. seems to be a good server as well

P D

Smash Ace
lol any server in the US i get 5 frames or lower, it's the best

Grahf

Smash Apprentice
Official Smash Index

Playing Online

Most of the 64 community play online through Kaillera using Project64k or Mupen64k emulators

Myztek's Guide to playing online with Project64k

Mupen64k
Works on Vista, runs smoother and more "console" like than PJ64 however less common online and uses more memory resources

Project64kVE
Vista compatible version of PJ64k

P2P Kaillera client

Allows you to host games between 2 players through a Peer2Peer network, reduces lag considerably

Original Kaillera (Server Edition)
Popular servers include:

God Weapons - 72.5.152.70:27888
Fragbox - 64.151.85.211:27888
BIONIC - 88.159.182.232:30000
Is there a thread / post anywhere that thoroughly explains the differences between PJ64k / Mupen / Kaillera / Server differences to only name a few things that aren't answered completely here? I'm assuming it's somewhere just not here and that's cool not trying to bash but anyone know where all that info might be?

Also, I checked out the link to how to set up Project 64 and read some of the useful guide in that webpage and he talks about using an Xbox controller and PS2 controller to play this? To be honest I don't have any friends that play Xbox (we're all Nintendo fanboys for the most part) and I just learned Xbox is compatible with computers or something...anyway MY question is can I use a Gamecube controller instead of an XBox or PS2 controller to play this online? That'd be crazy smexy :D

DMoogle

A$
Grahf (Xenogears is the ****):
Project 64K is a hacked emulator (hacked because the original Project 64 doesn't have online compatibility, the K standing for Kaillera) that most people use to play SSB online.
Mupen 64K is another emulator. Many people say that it runs smoother in online play than PJ64K does. However, it's not nearly as popular. When playing online, you and your opponent(s) must use the exact same emulator. So for the most part, you'll need to use PJ64K.
Kaillera is a program integrated into emulators to allow online play. Many emulators use Kaillera. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaillera
Server differences: You want to play on a reliable server that isn't too far from you. Right now, nearly all the SSB players are playing on GodWeapon's server. If you want to play somewhere else, you're going to need to get someone to agree to play somewhere else. Your ping (measured in milliseconds) is the time it takes for your computer to send a packet to the server and receive a response. You want a low ping, because a low ping means less delay. High ping means more delay and sometimes an unreliable connection. A good ping is around 40ms. An excellent ping is less than 20. You'll experience a very significant delay if you have higher than 100ms.

You can buy an adapter for an N64 or GC controller on ebay or some other site. I prefer playing with an N64 controller, the adapter cost me something like $13 including S+H.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Who do you main in melee? What do you want your 64/brawl+ character to have? (i.e. extremely technical, good juggling ability, easy combos, one hit kills (e.g. rest), good recovery, taunt cancelling, etc.)?

Just saying you come from melee doesn't help us out much.

Your best bet would be to try out everyone for a bit and to see who you like the most.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
/tag, I play competitive melee and can't decide to pick up smash 64 or brawl +
both games are legitimately fun

Also...you know its possible to play both.

I play both barlw and smash 64.

Also, blue yoshi is right

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
both games are legitimately fun

Also...you know its possible to play both.

I play both barlw and smash 64.

Also, blue yoshi is right
I'll up you on that. I play all four smash games competitively (and place very high or win in each game in my local tournaments... local being the key word...).

But yeah... just play around with the games and you'll find out who your main is. I don't know who my 64 main is (online I use puff, but on console I use everyone). Brawl+, I main Squirtle, and secondary Puff.

Superstar

Smash Champion
I suggest adding "check here first" to the title. For the nubs who want to learn how to set up online.

Brawl can die in a ditch, but Brawl+ is actually fun.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
how is AntD pushing SSB to its limit? he is using tools to make illegitimate combos/videos

HoN3Y64

Smash Apprentice
how is AntD pushing SSB to its limit? he is using tools to make illegitimate combos/videos
idiot or troll, TAS videos can show what the game is like at it's limit and some things that cannot be done as a human.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
edit the tier list...by the way.
^True.

And shouldn't the first post include the most recent, updated tier list? Where Ness is 9th, not 3rd...
I've got a draft for a new Smash Index with all the up-to-date stuff from here, but without the redundant/outdated stuff. Should I post it, or perhaps IM a mod to have him edit this thread?

Top Bottom