• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

Nixernator

Smash Ace
To put it bluntly I suck at Spinshot, like majorly. I get it maybe 1/5 tries, or worse. I don't know maybe my timing sucks, and tips on timing/finger placement? Because in the times I do it it works all too sweetly (over projectiles, baiting fsmash etc and punishing with Bair on otherside).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Really if I use SpinShot, I just do it with a quick finger flick from releasing the B-Button from the Side-B SpinDash Charge down to the C-Stick down position.

It won't help you if you try to SpinShot right after you do the charging animation of the SpinDash, give it like 1/2 a second before you attempt to do so.

Hoped that helped you Nix.

Also that was not Sonic, and we do not like him getting mugged. D:

B_AWAL

Smash Master
So yeah, this is random...

but if Sonic is knocked upwards, while he is flying upwards I UpB and thus I didn't die(This was after an uptilt from snake @ 110%)

I aint really get a chance to try it again cuz every time I'm up there I keep forgetting to try it.

U guyz think it's a glitch?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
No.

The Snake must've used UTilt so much before the correct killing percent that he must've decayed what knockback and little hitstun it would've had to kill you at that %age.

I've done it before with this Pikachu player who sent me up with something (I can't remember what it was now), he read my DI and trapped me in a Thunder where if I did nothing it would've killed me, so I just said "aww what the Hell?" and Sprung straight up and away from the bolt.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
No.

The Snake must've used UTilt so much before the correct killing percent that he must've decayed what knockback and little hitstun it would've had to kill you at that %age.

I've done it before with this Pikachu player who sent me up with something (I can't remember what it was now), he read my DI and trapped me in a Thunder where if I did nothing it would've killed me, so I just said "aww what the Hell?" and Sprung straight up and away from the bolt.
Hmmmmmmmmm

I'll look into it more, if we are lucky this will be mean that we can use Sonic's UpB to NOT die whenever we are being sent upwards.

The Snake only used Utilt 6 times BTW

Nixernator

Smash Ace
@B_AWAL: Yeah I use that a lot actually. I don't know if its correct but I have a feeling that you can't die vertically while in spring after animation or something. So if your hit up and you have enough time to do a move but will die anyway, spring could possibly save you. But I don't know how to test if thats right.

Also for Spinshot, does hitting C-Stick down do it? Lawl I've always used jump and its so awkward. Thanks Kinzer.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
NP Nix.

Bawal, you're free to try, but if it is anything like the SpinDash method for momentum-cancelling, it will probably get you the same result as being sent to the blastzone will only harm you.

Perhaps I shall see in friendlies if this works, and if I remember, but again I am skeptikal.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
Thanx guyz!

I jus wanted to make sure I wasn't the only person doin it and it's just my Wii being ********.

Then again, look at the techs that Nick Riddle did w/ ZSS(downB bouncing off of items), ESAM did w/ Pika(Crazy chaingrabs on high tiers) and the Cape **** Boss made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpF88hqgdwg

Maybe this can be something that helps out Sonic :-)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
When you use it Spring>Dair>Dair, gets you down really quick.
GAH!

I hope I need not to remind you of how dangerous using Dair to get back to the ground from a Spring is! Sure it's okay every once in a while, but if the opponent can catch on to that, you'll just end up eating an USmash most likely... or whatever your opponent's character can do.

Nixernator

Smash Ace
It actually depends, since you are going to die, you'll start off really high. So not only will the Dair be lagless on landing, you should also be able to air dodge > shield on landing.

infomon

Smash Scientist
but if Sonic is knocked upwards, while he is flying upwards I UpB and thus I didn't die(This was after an uptilt from snake @ 110%)
No no no no NOOOOOO!!!

There have always been rumour/suspicions that up-B can save you by stretching the killzones. THIS IS FALSE. Up-B can and will kill you. Here's how it works.

When you get hit, you're in a state called hitstun (which means you can't do stuff like up-B), and you're set to go a distance called knockback. To be able to use any Specials or Jumps, you need to escape hitstun using an aerial, airdodge, or item-throw; or simply wait it out. Hitstun ends a little sooner than knockback does.

So long as you are in knockback, flying past a killzone will still register as death. Even if you escape hitstun early (using Fair, say), and then use up-B, if there is any knockback being applied to you then 1. the spring will go extra-high (and boost you horizontally away from the stage as well, if there was any horizontal component to your knockback), and 2. you will still be killed by the normal killzones.

The reason you survived that Utilt is because you would have survived anyway. The spring must have happened such that there was no force of knockback on you when you passed the killzone; you might as well have simply fallen.

Instead, what you SHOULD have done (this will let you survive even higher percentage vertical KOs): Fair to get out of hitstun early, immediately fastfall it, then immediately do a down-B (the down-B is more useful for horizontal survival, but can shave a few % off vertical deaths too! because at release it stops ALL velocity, including knockback).

One last thing: someone mentioned Dairs to avoid the killzones. Wrong! Dair is the only aerial I know of in the game that can't be fastfalled during hitstun; it will stall in the air instead of falling, so you'll keep travelling up. Instead you should use a Fair and fastfall it; this will stop you from going as high!!

Hope this helps. I've done a lot of experiments on it, but feel free to try and prove me wrong if you think I'm crazy.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
thanx infzy

got a local tourney I'll try to go wreck w/ a friend today. I'll try it out if I remember

darkNES386

Smash Lord
This is in response to a thread on the tactical discussion:

Fellow Sonic players, if you were facing an opponent known to take a little more time getting off the edge of the stage (or dare I say) is flirting with "planking"... what's the first attack that you think of?

A) Spring above them
B) bair
C) Dair
D) Sonic is helpless to this strategy and you should just give up the match
E) dNES you forgot....

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
D

April Fools joke aside, I usually just mix it up between Fair/Bair/Dairs.

Is there an option with that?

darkNES386

Smash Lord
I acknowledge that the spring is helpful... but that alone can't be Sonic's approach. It's not that hard to have invincy frames on the edge as the spring passes harmlessly through you.

I guess I should just let go of the ignorant poster who thinks it's foolish for Sonic to intentionally bring himself off stage.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
And if you're on FD, you still have your Spring and the wall jump.

...New font, I'm going Super Sonic here!

B_AWAL

Smash Master
But up have to be about 1 or 2 steps from the edge and get there between either when MK uairs and grabs teh ledge or between when he lets go of teh ledge and uairs... Both are extremely risky

Tenki

Smash Hero
But at least those are (relatively more) punishable options than having MK invincy regrab U-air forever.

Top Bottom