• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic rFAQ! New to Sonic? Have a quick question? Ask it here!

LaserBust

Smash Journeyman
I think every Sonic should know how to hug. Super useful.

Some more basic but more situational techs are; lag less fairs/dairs, Dair edgehog, spinshotting, etc..

But honestly I like Tenki's post. Predicting and Baiting are easily the most useful things a Sonic player should know.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
that was greatness. hey does any1 know if we retrieve frame advantages on decayed tilts or anything? Also Ive been wondering for awhile now, when we do a downward f-tilt and i THINK a tipped dtilt the opponent usually flies into the ground ( at mid percents) is it simply bad DI or is it when its not properly DI that this situation happens ( maybe noone DIs it) but i would like to the know the explanation for this. I would also like to inquire how most of you techchase it and what are our best options out of it ( it also seems sometimes due to the second hit of ftilt it forces an auto getup that seems promising too) I usually techchase it with bairs or a well spaced DA> ftilt follow up or even just a simple grab. How bout you guys?

Ex: A good example here of the situation I speak of and solid options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXnq...&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=41#t=1m15s

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
whats the best way for sonic for recovering like using spin shot and then spring jump or somewhat?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah. Generally you don't want to spinshot; it wastes your double-jump too early and you don't have any other option after that except spring.

Side-B is best for recovering the horizontal distance back to the stage, although your down-B is better at momentum-cancelling (which you probably needed to do if you were hit far off-stage). Then jump + spring.

But also, don't get predictable :urg:
good luck!

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
c-stick input a forward air, tap down on the regular control stick to fast fall the forward air, then press down b to cancel backward momentum and send yourself toward the stage.

Sonikupo beat me to it, but i thought i'd add some more. Just cause i used to have trouble with it too.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
you know what, I've never even thought of that.. I have a real problem doing spin shot from down b.. i always use side b to spin shot and i really don't know why i can't get it with down b. Is there some trick to it, or is it the same: down b then immediately jump? Cause now that you mention that, i really want to learn how to do it.

Kupo Rose

It's what my cutie mark is telling me ♫
While charging DownB, just hit the Cstick left/right (assuming you're still in the air) and you'll spinshot.

I keep messing up spinshot from SideB =/ (But that's 'cause it's online...) >.>

CeroPhantom

Smash Cadet
I have an easier time Spinshotting online actually. I never tried Down-B Spinshotting much, but when I do, I usually f*ck it up.

Thanks for the info, I used to momentum cancel with Uair. Never knew it was Fair.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
While charging DownB, just hit the Cstick left/right (assuming you're still in the air) and you'll spinshot.

I keep messing up spinshot from SideB =/ (But that's 'cause it's online...) >.>
ahh i've never tried that.. See, i've been releasing down b and then immediately jumping, i forgot that it's different in the air for down b spinshots.. Thanks for the heads up sonikupo!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Different?

Different in the matter that it is impossible to Spinshot with Down-B (Spin Charge) on the ground?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
down b spinshot:

charge down b

hit up on c stick

??????

profit.

no timing involved, and it works on the ground and in the air, but the grounded version actually has a hitbox and doesnt kill your second jump, so its better than a normal spinshot.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Isn't that called a SpinDash Jump, which is a totally different thing?

I know in the long run it doesn't matter too much, but I like to get my alphabet soup right.

Hey, when you decide to take me off your ignore list...?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yeah, there are (rare) situations in which you want to spinshot from the ground, rather than SDJ.

Did anyone do a frame-data check to confirm whether or not down-B spinshot's earliest release time is later than side-B's? cuz that's why I still use side-B for spinshots, because I assume it's possible to get it faster than down-B lol, but I might be wrong.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
What's wrong with the classic controller? Doesn't it have everything the GC controller does AND an extra stick? (I guess maybe there's no equivalent to a Z button on the GC)

In fact, why am I not using a classic?

Oh that's right. I don't own one, and the hassle of having to sync it up to the proper Wii while carrying the Wiimote, and batteries that are on limited life... :V

infomon

Smash Scientist
I would rather spinshot out of down b than side b. But this classic controller. It just won't let me pull it off. So i gotta stick to Side B :L
lol, I use classic controller. Either way is fine with it. Down-B and C-stick up, or just... Down-B and get the timing down with the jump button. It's possibly even easier on classic controller because the B button is so close to one of the jump buttons.

Also, don't use classic controller, it's so annoying in brawl
  • Batteries, even rechargeable ones, are dumb. You have to always take one of them out of the wiimote in between matches, because otherwise accidentally hitting buttons will cause the wiimote to blink around thus draining them, and also because it could interfere with whoever else is using the wii to play.
  • When the battery gets anywhere near low, you can't trust it anymore, because it may just fail out on you during a match. Happened to me a number of times (never tournament tho, because I always swap in new batts for tournament, but then I get a number of half-charged batteries lying around which is dumb). Sometimes it looks like your batts are 3/4 charged and then suddenly they drop out on you.
  • Possibly wireless interference could add random lag time (idk how much this is true or how rare it is, but still)
  • When ppl plug in their gamecube controllers into the wii, it jumps your controller port around, which can be annoying as hell, especially if you're trying to start a doubles match
  • It means you can never go back to melee (tho you shouldn't anyway lolol). I thought it would help to have a different controller for each, but it just makes me super confused and uncomfortable when I get a gamecube controller in my hands.
  • Syncing can be a real pain; it's just annoying enough to sometimes cause me to sit out on friendlies.

I'm stuck with it now tho, and I think I like it....... siiiiiigh-ay-ay

:054:

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
So, I've just been goofing around and I want to pick your brains a bit: You guys are definitely familiar with the whole Spring to both going up from spring to Uair, right? Well, could a variant of it work?

Specifically, I'm thinking about times where you get that setup but you're still a bit short of KO-ing them. Like, maybe, using Spring to Dair from the ground in this manner? Is there enough 'reaction stun' that your opponent will mentally suffer from to pull this off?

Or is this unreasonable, better to forget the spring completely that early on and just go for a shieldgrab or something?

Tenki

Smash Hero
any c-stick works to spinshot with down-B spinshot.
pretty sure.

if you do down-B then C-back (left/right accordingly), you do something similar to the Knuckles jump in S3 where he backflips while moving forward (though, i'm half sure that knuckles just plain jumped facing backwards lol)

So, I've just been goofing around and I want to pick your brains a bit: You guys are definitely familiar with the whole Spring to both going up from spring to Uair, right? Well, could a variant of it work?

Specifically, I'm thinking about times where you get that setup but you're still a bit short of KO-ing them. Like, maybe, using Spring to Dair from the ground in this manner? Is there enough 'reaction stun' that your opponent will mentally suffer from to pull this off?

Or is this unreasonable, better to forget the spring completely that early on and just go for a shieldgrab or something?
D-air takes too long and shouldn't fake them out / make them feel insecure unless they're doing some really slow move lol

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
KID already said it, but yeah. If you do so many lagless Dairs, your opponent will be conditioned to predict you beforehand. Since it's a stall-then-fall aerial, some will be caught off guard when you use it as a direct attack just slightly above them. Just the fact that a non-lag-free Dair isn't used too much can pretty much catch anybody by surprise when they think you'll use another aerial for another perspective of pressure.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Ok so I was on the vid thread and i saw ppl talking about a CG on ness... i know it's grab release, but i can't get it to work for some reason. I'm not a guy to spam moves like that, but hell, if it helps me in the long run i might as well use it. So help please? How do i get GR CG on Ness to work? He gets released too far from sonic, and running into him for the re-grab is hit or miss (usually i miss). Thanks!

I'm thinking now that my timing is just crappy... but still not sure.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Copied from Smashwiki:

Sonic: 6, 10, 10

If you don't want to click the link, those are Sonic's grabs in the soonest they come out. The order is standing, running, and pivot grab respectively. Understand that Ness has more frames from being ground grab-released than everybody else except Lucas, who shares the same amount of frames (how much it is though I forgot, I believe it was 10 frames longer).

Your best bet is to practice it, because you'll need to time it, and it's not exactly that easy when you don't have it down. You should be able to buffer the CG, if you can do that.

To start, I'd say play on a stage that has a wall, or make one. practice getting it down when he can't move. You know you'll be doing it wrong if you have somebody else help you and press the attack button to jab you. If he didn't get a grab off, success.

Slowly work your way to real-time CGing. It didn't help me, but it may help you to go into training mode and slow down time.

In the end, if you really can't do it, you can always do Forward and Down Tilts on Ness/Lucas, they're guaranteed to hit him from a ground-grab-release. Although all of your throws do more damage (I'm not sure if you'll be able to hit with both hits of FTilt, if that's possible, then I take my last sentence back, and the only throw that beats it damage-wise is U-Throw. This is assuming all moves are fresh.), you may get a kill on Ness at a reasonable % if you do it from the very edge of a stage and hit him with a FTilt or perhaps send him at a low angle with the DTilt.

chaoechidna

Smash Apprentice
Kinz, thanks man, I never got into the whole frame data analyzation thing but i see now how it can be helpful. And i didn't even think to use a tilt after the grab release, that'd come in really handy as well.. And good idea with the wall.

DJ, nice vid man, now i can actually SEE it being done and that's always really helpful.
Thanks a lot guys!

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
random idea,

sonic has a jab lock on the wall, where if you are close enough, you can just keep doing the jab combo at low %s. and theyll have that stupid D3 down throw knockback that they cant do anything about.

do you think its possible to do a similar lock with only the second f tilt hit? since it tends to have that same kind of knockback at low percents.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
No.

Ftilt has way too many ending and start up frames. They'd just PS and then punish.

Top Bottom