• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaid

Smash Master
Your air-moves, if I'm understanding them correctly, launch you at the ground, you have spindash as B when it should be vB(ground), and you generally seem to be confusing A and B moves.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
TheSmashBro06 said:
Yes, you probably did in the "Will Sonic be a surprise character" or whatever the name was. Thought I would share it with you guys. Is that OK?
Sonic can never be a suprise, at least not anymore because of this annoying expectation. Take away the "OHH WOW!!" feeling out of it. sucks.....

mookie

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be bad *** if sonics up b was the light speed dash....

picture this sonics falling off...mario is boosted he finished the job...

but wait! NOPE a line of rings appears and sonic is flying through them and makes it back to land HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, for the reason that it'd be not too much of a surprise, I'd really rather not have Sonic coming into Smash Brothers. I feel as if he's too mainstream, and everyone is scrambling to see if he'll get in. It's like knowing what you're getting for Christmas.

kaid

Smash Master
If that's how you feel about learning the characters, why do you even come to the Brawl room? Come back in a year/year and a half, when you can open your present!

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
You're not too bright, my friend Kaid. A lot of characters are not relatively mainstream, and some of them are hugely obscure; Sonic, on the other hand, wouldn't be much of a surprise if he appeared in the game because he is so recognized by the gaming community. Don't take this as a sign of me not liking him. I love Sonic, and he is one of my favorite video game characters. But I'd be highly disappointed with seeing him in the game, because it's so expected.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Albert Anastasia said:
Don't take this as a sign of me not liking him. I love Sonic, and he is one of my favorite video game characters. But I'd be highly disappointed with seeing him in the game, because it's so expected.
That is the stupidest reason I ever read. Whats even sadder is alot of people seem to have that same stupid reason. "I like Sonic but I don't want him in because he's expected!" So I take it, you don't want Fox, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Ness, or Captain Falcon because they are expected to. Smart reasoning!

kaid

Smash Master
So, because he's an obvious choice, you think Sakura will turn around and decide NOT to put him in, just to "suprise" us? That's the kind of suprise that brings angry mobs down on your door, and sends sales into the crapper. Sakura isn't that stupid. Why you are is a mystery.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Besides, if ANYTHING is to keep Sonic from appearing, it's Sonic Team, the #1 game developers who love to piss of their fans for many reasons. Nintendo and Suka...Sukr...whatever his name is, wouldn't have any real reason not to put Sonic in, unless Sonic Team wants to piss everyone off as usual, and we all know Sonic Team love to piss us off.

Albert Anastasia

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, Donkey Kong, for one thing, wouldn't be a new addition, and he can already be expected because he's been in both games in this series. It's a totally different deal than having Sonic included in the game, so maybe it's your reasoning that's a bit skewed.

Now, how dare my opinion be called stupid? I could easily turn around and insult someone like Kaid for his thread on Lucario, because he's supporting yet another Pokemon that is most likely not even needed, since there are four of them already that you can actually use, and 80 that can be obtained from Pokeballs. But I'm not. And as people have copied and posted, Sakura likes to put obscurer people into the game. By doing that, you indirectly call his way of thinking stupid.

kaid

Smash Master
And yet, the Shrine has worshipers!

Putting obscure people like Ness in the game did not keep Sakura from putting Mario, Luigi, Pikachu, and Jigglypuff, nor did adding Mr. Game & Watch and Ice climbers stop him from adding Peach, Bowser, Gannon, Zelda, or Mewtwo.

Thinking Sonic will be excluded PURELY on the grounds of favoring obscure characters needs to look at the half of the roster that is the Big Three franchises- Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. NONE of those characters are obscure. (shiek doesn't count, because that's Zelda)

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
kaid said:
It means "something that, chances are, you havn't heard of." Like the word obscure.
Ouch.

Anyway, I don't really like sonic at this point (most of his none genesis games have been disapointing) but I can't deny the feeling that he will probably be one of the other 2 3rd party characters

TheSmashBro06

Smash Cadet
I actually liked Sonic Advance 1-3, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2(Battle), and some of the handhelds. I just hope Sonic Wild Fire will be better then Sonic Riders, Sonic Heroes, and Shadow the Hedgehog (which wasn't real bad, but it just didn't last long and got boring after awhile.

Shark X

Smash Lord
Adventure 1 was good (aside from many obvious things), while Adventure 2 was terrible (aside from the new style of Gameplay, which was as far as it goes). Advance, I don't know, I think I just hate Handhelds. The sounds and graphics were horrid in advance. But thats all handhelds back then for that matter. Even even handhelds today (DS anyway, not sure about PSP) have bad sound.

TheSmashBro06

Smash Cadet
I didn't see anything wrong with sound on the handhelds, sometime I even listen to the Animal Crossing theme(Don't judge me!) on the DS. But I respect your opinion on this matter. Anyways, is their a Sonic for SSBB banner?

Pokemaster252

Smash Rookie
Might as well post my moveset here too.

Please note that this is strictly a creative exercise; lighthearted speculation. I'd like to keep the debate of whether or not Sonic should be in SSBB out of this.

Also, I know I've left out a lot of technical points, like how many frames is jump is and stuff. I only wanted to cover stuff I wouldn't look like a fool talking about. :p

Okay, as Snake says, IT'S SHOW TIME!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

~ General Stuff ~

Stats:

Attack: **
Speed: *****
Reach: ***
Jump: ***
Gravity: ***
Height: **
Weight: **

Can wall-jump? Yes.

Playing style: Speed over power. Most of his attacks do relatively low damage, but to make up for it, he’s the fastest character in the game. However, as a downside, he gets knocked back (relatively) farther away than other characters when hit, similar to Pikachu and others. It takes skill to use his quick attacks to rack up high damage on opponents and then smash them away, all the while being careful to avoid heavy hits. Plus, he has a lack of a good recovery move, all the more reason to be cautious.

Fighter stance: Stands sideways (like Mario) and sways back and forth (think along the lines of his Sonic Rush stance).

Speed: Just enough speed to be the fastest character in the game, without being insanely unfair. A little faster than Captain Falcon.

Taunt: He strikes a pose and shakes his finger at you, in classic title screen fashion. Perhaps a “Heheh” or something. Example:

Victory music: The classic “Act Clear” jingle. Preferably from Sonic 1 or 2, I don’t really like S3&K’s.

Victory poses:

1. Does a backflip and says “Too easy, piece of cake!”.
2. Runs in from the background at high speed. “What? Was that all?”
3. Breakdances then jumps up on his feet. “Sweet!”

Behind-lives-counter icon: A chaos emerald.

Stage:

Green Hill – A medium-sized area with moving platforms and Sonic gimmicks like rings that replenish 1% health each. Alternate music would be a techno-rock remix of Starlight Zone. Either that or another classic (or modern) Sonic tune. Can you say Marble Garden Zone?

Adventure mode level: Green Hill. No matter who you are, you spawn with a bunny hood (so that you’re fast) (or it can just be Lightning Melee, same effect, minus the higher jumps). You go through typical Sonic obstacles like loops and stuff, along with classic badniks like Crabmeat and Buzz Bomber. At the end, you face a 100-stamina Robotnik, just like the Green Hill Zone boss, complete with the checkered ball mech. It’s not hard, just mainly for comedy and nostalgia. Sonic then drops in to fight you. After that, you hit an animal-filled capsule and clear the stage.

How to unlock (if not available from the start): Beat 1P mode (Classic, I guess) with Mario, Normal difficulty or higher, without using continues, within a set time limit. I’d say 10 minutes. After all, you DO have to be fast to get Sonic’s attention. After the final boss, you’ll be challenged by Sonic for the final showdown: Mario VS Sonic. Notable is that if you do the same thing with Sonic, you fight Mario, which earns you a trophy (or whatever the collectable is) of Mario and Sonic as friends, shaking hands.

Only problem with this is that he has his own adventure mode level, and you would know he’s in before you challenge him… meh, I dunno. Perhaps the adventure level wouldn’t be enabled until he’s unlocked.

Items:

TV monitor – A typical item container, except it cannot be picked up. Also, special Sonic items can appear on it:

Robotnik’s face: Explosive. Don’t destroy it!

Blue shield – Protects you from one hit.

Ring – Heals 10% of your health (10 rings).

Single ring – Found only in Green Hill stage. Recovers 1% health.

Alternate colors:

Before you ask, I redid these myself. They're not the same ones SMASHBRO posted on NSider.

- Plain green.

- Plain red with blue shoes (inverted colors, heh).

- Black, to look like Shadow.

~ Moveset ~

Damage breakdown:

A: 1-3%
A (Second): 2-3%
A (Rapid): 2%
Dash A: 3-10%
F-Tilt: 2-5%
Up Tilt: 2-9%
D-Tilt: 3-9%
F-Smash: 3-12%
Up Smash: 7-20%
Down Smash: 6-16%
Aerial A: 6-12%
Aerial Forward A: 8-16%
Aerial Back A: 4-13%
Aerial Up A: 3-15 %
Aerial Down A: 4-10%
Forward Throw: 1-10%
Back Throw: 2-9%
Up Throw: 1-12%
Down Throw: 3-9%
B: 3-22%
Forward B: 3-19%
Up B: 3-15%
Down B: 4-10%
Super Smash: Varies.

Ground A moves:

A: Simple punch-kick. Combo is a flurry of kicks.

Forward A: Single-leg sweep.

Forward A smash: A spin-kick.

Dash A – He curls into a ball and slides forward.

Down A: A breakdance leg sweep.

Down A smash: Another breakdance-eque leg move. Each leg kicks in a different direction.

Up A: A backflip with one foot out.

Up A smash: A higher backflip with both feet out.

Air A moves:

A: He spins in a ball with an insta-shield surrounding him, damaging anyone he touches while deflecting projectiles.

A forward: A downward punch.

A down: A step kick off of the opponent, weak meteor effect.

A up: Just like his on-ground version, a backflip kick.

A back: Spin-kick.

B moves:

B: Light Speed Dash/Attack – Chargeable move, in the same vein as DK’s punch and Samus’s gun. As you charge it, blue light flows into Sonic’s shoes. If there’s no enemies around when you release it, it acts like Fox Illusion in that Sonic dashes forward, except for a greater distance. However, if there are enemies nearby, Sonic will attack them all in a row at insane speed. Note that it doesn’t do much damage unless you charge it completely. Once you do, Sonic will glow blue and run slower.

B>: Ring Toss – Sonic throws a ring at an angle depending on how long you hold B> (the longer you hold it, the more altitude and less horizontal distance you get). If the ring hits an enemy, it explodes for light damage. If it lands on the ground, Sonic can home in on it in a spinball. If Sonic is in the air when he uses this move, he falls towards the ground more slowly for about three seconds, or until you throw the ring, whichever comes first. After you throw/time’s up, normal gravity is resumed.

B^: Blue Tornado – Sonic spirals around, creating a cyclone that lasts a few seconds. If opponents are caught in it, they get light, rapid damage. As Sonic is spiraling, he goes upwards, to gain a small amount of vertical height.

Bv: Spindash – You all know how this works. Charge it up and let loose. Can be jump-cancelled, but you cannot change its direction. If used in the air, a blue energy wave shoots out that travels diagonally downward.

Throws:

Throw > - Sonic grabs the opponent with both hands and kicks them away.

Throw < - Sonic leapfrogs over the opponent and kicks them from behind.

Throw ^ - Sonic simply throws the opponent upward with his hands.

Throw v – He curls into a ball, jumps above the opponent, and bounces down on them.

Grab attack – Simple knees (to the groin… ouch).

Shield: Standard sphere shield. His fists cover his lower face.

Super Smash (or whatever the super move is called):

"Super Sonic Boom"

The seven Chaos Emeralds circle around Sonic and cause him to transform into Super Sonic. Everything going on slows down to a SLOOOOOW pace (it doesn’t even look like anyone’s moving) and Super Sonic is free to go crazy on opponents. He has all of Sonic’s moves, except they’re 1.5x-2x more powerful (take your pick), and his running speed is obviously faster. How long the transformation lasts depends on your damage meter. It will rapidly go back down to 0. So obviously the more damage you have, the more time you have. If you have 100 damage, you’d probably get about 10-15 seconds out of the transformation. Note that you’ll get all your damage back when you go back to regular Sonic.

kaid

Smash Master
Good job with the costumes, although you could have taken it a step farther on the "shadow" one, giving him the white fur-tuff instead of the belly.

TheSmashBro06

Smash Cadet
Don't worry about any flame remarks, people hated mine, too. Kaid, this is not directed at you, just so you know.

Pokemaster252

Smash Rookie
Nah, I was just bored, and I remembered hearing something about this place. I decided to check it out.

TheSmashBro06

Smash Cadet
Maybe you could make a Sonic for SSBB banner, Pokemaster. Anyways, I still like your moveset, but I you seem to have updated yet again!

Khanczar

Smash Ace
OK, acknowlege me compleltely as a nintendo purist here, but sonic just can't, just CANT be faster than falcon.

Falcon and fast just go together in SSB. I think sonic should be close, like fox.

I will commit suicide if that fhkuking hedgehog is faster than captain falcon. I mean he's the dam Falcon for god sake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFtw7qW7Vcw&search=Falcon Punch

(ok, this doesn't exactly showcase his speed per se, but still it just shows how kool falcon is and how unkool sonic is.)

I don't like sonic. If he's not secret, he will be the very first comp i play against when i open up the shiny new SSBB box... I will destroy him. Repeatedly. Just because he is sonic. Heh

kaid

Smash Master
...there's a character in Sonic X whi is a racecar driver, who considers himself Sonic's rival. They go neck-and-neck, when the diver has an ultra-high-tech rocket car.

I think Sonic and the Captian should be the same speed.

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
Why you compare Falcon with speed? Consider he is a guy who spends most of the time inside his car. The Blue Falcon is fast, not the driver.
And all those Nintendo fans should realize that Sonic is not our enemy anymore. Is Bill Gates and his Halo minions :D.

kaid

Smash Master
Tomasiarity said:
And all those Nintendo fans should realize that Sonic is not our enemy anymore. Is Bill Gates and his Halo minions :D.
Bah! Samus could kick Master Chief's *** with half her powerups still scattered across the landscape!

DiamondFalcon

Smash Journeyman
I liked the Unlocking Sonic idea Pokemaster.

And Sonic should definitely be faster than Cpt. Falcon. He can probably keep up with Falcon when he's in the Blue Falcon O_O j/k but seriously, what makes you think that Sonic shouldn't be faster than a racecar driver when he can run faster than sound?

kaid

Smash Master
That's only in the TV shows. In the games, Sonic has a running speed comparable to Mario 3, but he can go faster if he curls up into a ball and rolls down slopes.

TheSmashBro06

Smash Cadet
kaid said:
That's only in the TV shows. In the games, Sonic has a running speed comparable to Mario 3, but he can go faster if he curls up into a ball and rolls down slopes.

In Sonic CD, he moved fast enough to travel through time. That is pretty fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom