• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OFFICIAL Sonic thread. (Keep it Brawl related, or suffer Xsy's/Xii's wrath!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

Smash Journeyman
To get things more on topic: I really hope Sonic is put into Brawl. I believe Sonic is the best 3rd party choice for Nintendo. I'm sure its been said PLENTY of times but still, I'll say it again, Who DOESN'T wanna see Mario and Sonic finally go at it? I mean really, Sonic FOR BRAWL!!! without a doubt.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I already stated that I didn't want to continue the argument because no matter what I say, everyone here will argue and gang up on me. I think I am the only Mario fan here in this thread. But I will leave you with some closing thoughts. Mario defeated not one but two people who were invincible so ha! At least Sonic can't brag about that as far as I know. But whatever, Sonic should be in Brawl and I think it is a safe bet to say he will be.

kaid

Smash Master
Giving up? You arn't trying hard enough!

Mario's best chance is platformer style, with Feather and Spare Feather. A well timed cape spin would take out the fire shield, at the cost of the cape power... as the spare feather falls to replace it.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Argueing who would win is pretty pointless because the victor would just be the result of opinion at best. Even if he was in Smash, you still can't guarantee who would be better...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is...interesting. Metal Mario and the others 2 Caps do not protect Mario from falling damage. Metal and Invisible are just immune to attacking damage. If Mario had all three caps on at the same time(impossible in the games without cheating, mind you), then he'd be unbeatable. For a while, anyway.

Even Super Mario and Giant Mario just aren't as strong as Super Sonic. Bowser has gotten literal invincible status in the first two Paper Marios. The first one is his Star Rod power, and in the second one, you go through variations of the first courses in Super Mario Bros. as Bowser and he gets bigger with every mushroom, soon making him invincible. He literally glowed yellow.

Anyway, nobody truly went "Super" in the Mario series(by Sonic versions, anyway), though some have gone close.

Sonic mostly has a stamina advantage over Mario, while Mario has an item advantage, to an extent, anyway.

Physically, Mario is stronger, as he's more comparable to Knuckles(except for the jumping power), so Sonic is somewhat weaker in that aspect. Some could argue it in Sonic Battle terms, as Mario is the all around fighter having basic stats(Attack/Strenth Support 5, and no Other Support, as nothing makes sense)

Mario himself hasn't had an official fighter dedicated to his direct series, so comparing fighting skills isn't really possible. For the most part, they'd be considered equal as they are both the basic fighters.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
There actually were two incidents where Mario characters achieved a "super form" one being the Master of the dojo in the first Paper Mario in which he had the yellow flame around him and his outfit changed yellow also giving him blinding speed and the other is Baby Mario in the Yoshi's Island games. When Baby Mario grabbed a star he would get the cape, be able to float, ran incredibly fast to the point of running on walls and ceilings and was completely invincible. This is ironic as Adult Mario has never had a super form. As for the stamina issue, Mario can breath infinitely under water in the platform games and he runs through deserts and ice storms. But for the most part, I do agree that they are equal and it would probabbly be a tie if anything.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
That's America. It's being released in Europe at the end of November/early December, so not too far off, and it costs a bit more. Not exactly sure how much more. Not sure if the Aussies are getting it at the same time as Europe.

Anyway, check the Light House for this information.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Sonic is so likely that I can practically see him in it. By the way I have two questions. One is on topic and the other is off.

On topic : Who is Hyper Sonic? Is that another form?

Off topic : How do you make a thread with a poll? No, I am not having a Mario or Sonic poll I am doing something else.

Thank you.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
You can only go Hyper Sonic in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, where you get the Super Emeralds (the huge ones).

As for a poll, PM me about it.

You can only go Hyper Sonic in Sonic 3 and Knuckles, where you get the Super Emeralds (the huge ones).

As for a poll, PM me about it.
Ahh,Classics.I used to play that on Sonic Jam for the saturn.But you had to get the regular emeralds befor youget to have the chance to get the suer emeralds in the other game.It's kinda difficult but it's worth it due to the fact that he could do Air attacks forward without the fire orb and move way faster than his original form of Super Sonic.

Good times....good times.

NeMo =)~

Smash Apprentice
I would love to play as the fastest character in the game AND be a creature instead of a human, it'd just be hilarious fun.

Badabababa, I'm lovin' it!

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So, Sonic has a form past his super form? Wow, I didn't know that. I am still standing by Mario though. Sonic should be in Brawl. So, what is so much greater about Hyper Sonic? More invincible? That isn't even possible unless they get rid of the getting killed by being crushed rule, then yeah, he is more invincible.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
He flies and flashes the whole rainbow of color instead of just turning yellow. I'm not sure about other differences. It's been a while since I played the game, and even longer since I beat it 100%.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
He flies and flashes the whole rainbow of color instead of just turning yellow. I'm not sure about other differences. It's been a while since I played the game, and even longer since I beat it 100%.
I'll list the Hyper Sonic abilities, might as well:

first, Super Sonic:
-Gold Color
-Uses 7 Chaos Emeralds
-Invincible to Enemies
-X2 Speed of Regular Sonic
-X2 Jump of Regular Sonic
-Ring Count drops by 1 ring per second.
-Reverts back when rings hit zero.
-Super Sonic CAN Drown
-Super Sonic CAN be Crushed
-Super Sonic CAN die by falling down the bottomless pits.

now, Hyper Sonic:
-Flashes the Colors of the Emeralds (Yellow, Pink, Blue, Green, Gray, White, etc.)
-Uses 7 Super Emeralds (The 7 Super Emeralds are powered up versions of the Angel Island Chaos Emeralds)
-Invincible to Enemies
-1.5X Speed of Super Sonic
-1.5X Jump of Super Sonic
-Ring Count Drops
-Reverts when rings hit zero.
-Hyper Sonic can breathe underwater.
-Hyper Sonic can be crushed
-Hyper Sonic can die by falling down bottomless pits
-Hyper Sonic gets a second jump in midair. This gives Hyper Sonic extra height. As a plus, during the second jump, the screen flashes. All enemies that are currently on the screen during the flash automatically get destroyed.

Yea....whatever.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Actually...no there i no Hyper Knuckles.ut if you did get him,what game combo i ask.Because i don't really know if it exist.
I hope I'm understanding your post correctly. Yes, there is a Hyper Knuckles. During Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Knuckles, as you play as Knuckles, if you get 7 Emeralds, your Super Knuckles. If you get 14, you become Hyper Knuckles.

JPW

Smash Ace
now give us a date of the next Smash trailer, and we'll be even happier. Well i will be not too sure about you guys.

I have a feeling will be a final announcement.

I hope you understand though there is never going to be an actual fight between Sonic and Mario. If he makes it to Smash you can always pit computers and watch. Or you can do your best to make your own fantasy with a heavy favourite. But you wont see a clear true winner. Because it's just a smash perspective at the end of the day.

The only possible way you could make A TRUE FIGHT is have Miyamoto and Yuji Naka(was it, who came up with Sonic) face eachother WIFI. Be great as a launch cleebration just to get everyone going.

the winner will always create argument.

I'm a Mario fan, but i'm a heavy Sonic fan too. I really enjoy Sonic games because of the speed, and straight to the point. Plus he always seem to have better theme songs. I give props to Mario because of loyalty. His games are simple, but also very addictive.
The extra secrets from both parties, also add a challenge.
Another thing I liked about Sonic I guess was his battles with Robotnik. He was always in a different machine. And he always had a cool theme.(i'm talking old skool, SMD2) One of my favourite vg themes comes Sonic 2. and it's the very first boss battle scene. I reckon a good soundtrack is always a good advantage also.

back on topic. i don't care about the true winner(i'll push the fight as much as anyone else though.), i'll take turns if i must on the winner.
But hands down we'll never who is the true winner. In reality Mario won. Because Sega folded, and caved in. But it wasn't because of Ninty. Blame Sony right huh? no. It's was Sega's own fault. They created their downfall, and sadly Sonic had to be a part of it.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Sonic didn't deserve to go down the way he did. Sure he rised up and fought back a little on his multiplatform games and games like Sonic Mega Collection but it's time he got back in the big games. And I agree we should all see this match one day: Miyamoto as Mario and Yuji Naka as Sonic and just settle any differences they ever had once and for all.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Does anybody have any good Sonic game recommendations? I can't play anything on Sega becuase mine fried up but are there any good Sonic games on a Nintendo system? Sonic Heroes sucked that is why I am asking.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Yeah, try those^^^. You can also try Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for GCN. It's the same as SA 2 on Dreamcast but with more multiplayer stuff. I've never played the GCN version but I heard it's not as good as the original SA 2.

Enfilade

Smash Cadet
I'm all for sonic, as long as he's more true to the old school Genesis sonic that I grew up loving, and not from the ****ty "Sonic Adventure" and beyond Sonic that Sega's been crapping out every 5 minutes recently.

Silver Flame

Smash Ace
SA1DX was good but it sucked that you had to play as amy and big
amy had three stages where she ran to a balloon to escape an "invincible robot" named Zero
Big's stages consits of fishing for a frog with a tail
Sonic's were good and stuck to his roots
tail's stages were always racing someone
Knuckles was always looking for parts of the master Emerald
gamma's stages consited of "freeing" his brother robots by destroying them and shooting everything
after you beat everyone's storys, you got to play as super sonic which consits of running around with sonic to find the remaining chaos emeralds and then running on water fast enough as super sonic to hurt perfect chaos

len1

Smash Journeyman
SA 2 battle for Cube was good...but the Story is fairly short but there are 5 missions for every stage and the Chao garden was the reasson i keep playing it...that and its the only sonic GameCube i have. i have heroes and mega collection + on ps2

did anyone here get all the emeralds in heroes?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
SA 2 battle for Cube was good...but the Story is fairly short but there are 5 missions for every stage and the Chao garden was the reasson i keep playing it...that and its the only sonic GameCube i have. i have heroes and mega collection + on ps2

did anyone here get all the emeralds in heroes?
I did. It just unlocks the final battle where you fight Metal Sonic with three of the four teams and then you finish the fight with Sonic's team. He transforms into Super Sonic and then they fight Metal Sonic in the sky. But even that didn't really impress me that much. Sonic Heroes sucked big time. After all these suggestions, which one is the best and then tell me what system so I can go get it.

Enfilade

Smash Cadet
Sonic 3 And Knuckles, for Genesis. It's made by connecting Sonic 3 to the port on top of Sonic And Knuckles, probably one of the best platform games of all time, and definitely the best Sonic game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Uncle Kenny already said in the thread that his Genesis no longer works, Enfilade. Read before you type.

Anyway, definately get Sonic Mega and Gems Collections, then if you're going for some fighting style(discounting Sonic The Fighters), there's the hard to get Sonic Battle(which has some mentions in this thread). In Sonic Heroes, you fight the final boss by collecting the Chaos Emeralds and finishing the four normal stories, not get all Emblems. All emblems(with A emblems included) unlocks multiplayer modes and then Hard Mode.

I personally haven't been dissapointed with a Sonic game...except Tails' Sky Patrol(which was not fun at all), so many choices work well. Both Collections give you quite a few games, and there's always Shadow The Hedgehog if you love storyline and a new style of playing.

Don't let any reviews discourage you, both Sonic Adventures were excellent games in storyline and gameplay. All that Sonic Adventure 1 lacks is multiplayer options(full ones), and that's not much.

Edit: Forgot to mention what the whole Chaos Emerald explanation was meant for.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Uncle Kenny already said in the thread that his Genesis no longer works, Enfilade. Read before you type.

Anyway, definately get Sonic Mega and Gems Collections, then if you're going for some fighting style(discounting Sonic The Fighters), there's the hard to get Sonic Battle(which has some mentions in this thread). You fight the final boss by collecting the Chaos Emeralds and finishing the four normal stories, not get all Emblems. All emblems(with A emblems included) unlocks multiplayer modes and then Hard Mode.

I personally haven't been dissapointed with a Sonic game...except Tails' Sky Patrol(which was not fun at all), so many choices work well. Both Collections give you quite a few games, and there's always Shadow The Hedgehog if you love storyline and a new style of playing.

Don't let any reviews discourage you, both Sonic Adventures were excellent games in storyline and gameplay. All that Sonic Adventure 1 lacks is multiplayer options(full ones), and that's not much.
Thanks, I'll have to pick that up. What are Mega and Gems for? A GCN or GBA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom