• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Square-Enix Characters For Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion Topic

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
Please don't start a flame war, anyways, it seems very few people have even bothered to read the first post of my topic. -_-;
Dude, that last comment you made on your post could easily start a flame war, but I'm a laid back guy so i don't care.

Don't be anti-flame war if the next second your going to dis somebody. I hope that's a lesson to you.

And I read the first post, but just simply forgot his appearance on the GBA. Peace out.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
I think its a low chance of the ppl u have shown to be in brawl. But one character that i really hope gets in is Crono^^
Anyway good work!

Teh Otar

Smash Rookie
Crono and Geno are the two I'm definitely rooting for. But if only one of them still gets in, I'd still be happy.

If neither got in... I'd be a little sad :C

Smady

Smash Master
With Square going Final Fantasy crazy, I see a small possibility of an FF4 character appearing. Cecil's a no-brainer, with Kain trailing miles behind as the second flagship character of the game. The reason I say this is because FF4 is now getting it's second remake, with all three versions appearing on Nintendo consoles/handhelds, branching out from over a decade ago. This game is stapled as much to Nintendo as Square now, I feel, as every appearance has been exclusive. And they'll want to promote the first real remake of a Final Fantasy game on their system, considering the GBA release had no improvements aesthetically and Final Fantasy 3 was neither released worldwide initially or remade worldwide with the rest. I'll say no more.

Cecil for 'Brawl!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, according to the Final Fantasy IV's writer, 75% of the game's original script got cut when they finished the game, and that they plan on including some of the cut stuff into the remake of Final Fantasy IV. Also, in Japan Final Fantasy IV is the third most popular Final Fantasy.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
First off, did you even read what I wrote for Sora. Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney and the character designs are owned by Square-Enix, Nintendo will need the consent of both companies in order for Sora to be in. Please read what I wrote. -_-

Also, you have no right to comment on games you have not played.

The character that I listed are the characters that I see suggested most frequently. On this board, you may have never seen them suggested, but on boards that don't just focus on Smash they are quite popular.
First off: please shrink those pictures on your first post. Some of them stretch the page's horizontal boundary, which makes it a bit of a pain to read all the texton that page.

Anyway.

Yeah, I read your entry for Sora. But he himself is owned by Square. Disney didn't make or publish KH/KH2 (Disney does not own the game), so the only stuff Ninty'd need their consent for would be actual Disney characters or locales.

What game didn't I play?

Well, on the character thread index, these characters all have support threads.

Crono (Chrono Trigger)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Moogle (Final Fantasy)
Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy)
Black Mage

My point is that you've simply collected a bunch of them and called it something else. I guess nobody minds though, since this thread's still open...

Smash Daddy said:
considering the GBA release had no improvements aesthetically
The sprites were all cleaned-up ande recolored. Not much, but it does look better.

Meta Owns Ur Dad said:
Uh... sorry but i don't watch Pokemon....
...Just forget it.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yeah, I read your entry for Sora. But he himself is owned by Square. Disney didn't make or publish KH/KH2 (Disney does not own the game), so the only stuff Ninty'd need their consent for would be actual Disney characters or locales.
I gotta disagree that Sora is owned by Disney even thought he's in a game with Disney characters, but remember that Square-Enix published the game but doesn't entirely own the character so that makes Square/Disney owners of Sora not an actual Disney , so next times know your facts before posting them.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
With Square going Final Fantasy crazy, I see a small possibility of an FF4 character appearing. Cecil's a no-brainer, with Kain trailing miles behind as the second flagship character of the game. The reason I say this is because FF4 is now getting it's second remake, with all three versions appearing on Nintendo consoles/handhelds, branching out from over a decade ago. This game is stapled as much to Nintendo as Square now, I feel, as every appearance has been exclusive. And they'll want to promote the first real remake of a Final Fantasy game on their system, considering the GBA release had no improvements aesthetically and Final Fantasy 3 was neither released worldwide initially or remade worldwide with the rest. I'll say no more.

Cecil for 'Brawl!
If they took an FFIV character I would prefer Kain over Cecil. I say this only because Kain uses a spear and this would give more uniqueness to him than Cecil would, who uses a sword.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
But Cecil could switch between being a dark knight and a holy warrior. I think Kain's cooler too, if only because his lance has some weird time-trael ability, but if a IV character was picked, it'd probably be Cecil.

MarsFool!

Smash Lord
I could actually imagine Sora or MAYBE even Tidus. Sora is fast with light attacks so I dont think it would be hard to balance him in game, and same for Tidus. Too bad everyone hates Tidus.:laugh:

Cups

Smash Ace
This thread was extremely well done and thought out. Thank you for that and I feel very informed on the situation now, thanks a lot and good job. *crosses fingers for Cloud or Sora* Honestly though, I'm 21 and I like Sora a lot, c'mon, Final Form, you can't tell me that s*** is for kids.

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Anything can be considered just as kiddy or adult as something else, in my opinion. Thousands of adults read Harry Potter, thousands of kids sit around and play Halo.

Cloud had an extremely minor(much emphasis on extremely minor) role in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories as a character who appeared like twice in a single world that you would most likely never touch again and as a very useful summon that would pretty much be 1/3 of the reason you beat the game(**** you Riku IV).

Crono is quite debatable as Chrono Trigger is an extremely popular SNES classic game(just as EarthBound was), but I'm not sure if Nintendo can even use him anymore as he's appeared on the PS1 in the 2-disc collection Final Fantasy Chronicles(FFIV and Chrono Trigger released on the PS1 in disc format on seperate discs, terrible load times, stay far away from it), his only major sequel games has either been canceled or were on PS1(Magical Dreamers or whatever it was called did appear on the SNES, but it was extremely minor and Japan-only.

Tidus didn't even appear in CoM. Though I feel rather indifferent towards him as he's easily the most human of all the FF leads, I still really dislike him. He's never even made so much as a cameo on a Nintendo platform.

Why don't we just agree that FFIII and FFI are both terrible games. FFI has become far too out-dated for me to consider it a good game(the PSP remake is absolutely pathetic; as far as I know, they did nothing but remake the entire game with really good sprites). I got FFIII DS for my birthday and I hate it. It's incredibly boring in every way possible.

I'd like to consider both Sora and Cecil to be quite possible. Cecil especially since he's had one FFIV remake on the GBA and now has an upcoming remake on the DS in full 3D.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Sora is owned by Disney along with any characters made originaly for KH that are not from the FF games so he shouldn't even be on this list. . .

And and that FFCC wii guy. We don't know jack about him but FFCC is a Nintendo only series.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Crono is quite debatable as Chrono Trigger is an extremely popular SNES classic game(just as EarthBound was), but I'm not sure if Nintendo can even use him anymore as he's appeared on the PS1 in the 2-disc collection Final Fantasy Chronicles(FFIV and Chrono Trigger released on the PS1 in disc format on seperate discs, terrible load times, stay far away from it), his only major sequel games has either been canceled or were on PS1(Magical Dreamers or whatever it was called did appear on the SNES, but it was extremely minor and Japan-only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_cross
Beautiful game. Didn't really have Crono, but he does have some ties in the plot. Either way, it is a sequel. It's also extremely beautiful. I wish I could play it, but I unfortunately have the NTSC CD and PAL hardware.
Beautiful soundtrack, too. It might just have the most beautiful intro song ever. And the composer is in the Brawl team, I think, accredited for this game.
Too bad it's for PSX only. =/

SkyeYuki

Smash Apprentice
Tidus IS in CoM. He is a little kid just like the regular KH games. So were Aeris, Yuffie, Rikku, and Wakka.
Really? I don't remember any of them at all being in CoM.

And yeah, Chrono Cross was awesome in every way. <3<3<3<3<3

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Really? I don't remember any of them at all being in CoM.

And yeah, Chrono Cross was awesome in every way. <3<3<3<3<3
Eh, except the rushed conclusion. Trigger has that issue as well.

Black/Light: The only thing Disney owns out of the KH games are the Disney characters and environments. Sora was created by Nomura, whose assets are in turn owned by S-E. Nintendo wouldn't need their permission to include Sora in Brawl.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
Chrono Cross is one of the only games gamespot ever gave a 10, if anyone cares about what they say...

Chrono Trigger is debated as the best SNES game ever made, the makers of the game were considered "the dream team" at the time...

Black/Light

Smash Master
Black/Light: The only thing Disney owns out of the KH games are the Disney characters and environments. Sora was created by Nomura, whose assets are in turn owned by S-E. Nintendo wouldn't need their permission to include Sora in Brawl.
*sigh*
Look at the back of the box (if you have it). Or better yet, look on the sites for this game or on disney's site. Of the 2 Disney is the only one that claims ownership of Sora and co (original characters).

And yeah, Nomura designed all the original characters for KH. . . but all rights to those characters go to disney according to both the back of the box and the official KH site. The only characters not owned by Disney are the FF characters.
http://na.square-enix.com/games/kingdomhearts/kh2/
(Really, this is a well known fact amount KH fans. . . IDK why Smash fans don't know this. Kinda like how people assume Geno is 1st party because Sakurai (who didn't even know who he was before hand) put him down as 1st party)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
You mean this?

Kingdom Hearts 2 said:
© Disney Enterprises, Inc.

Developed by SQUARE ENIX.

© Disney. Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas © Touchstone Pictures. Developed by SQUARE ENIX. Characters from FINAL FANTASY video game series: © 1990, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2005 Square Enix Co., Ltd. All Rights Reserved. SQUARE ENIX and the SQUARE ENIX logo are trademarks of Square Enix Co., Ltd.
I see nothing contadictory there, if that is what you're referring to.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
That says everything besides the FF characters and the stuff taken from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas is owned by Disney. So Sora, and all the other original KH characters are owned by Disney.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Devastlian said:
That says everything besides the FF characters and the stuff taken from Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas is owned by Disney. So Sora, and all the other original KH characters are owned by Disney.
Only, they're not.

That "Developed by SQUARE ENIX" tag tells that much. When a company (like, say Nintendo, for example) develops a game with no outside help, and then publishes that game (as is the case with KH and...oh...Pikmin), that company has ownership of all the elements created originally for that game. So Hollows Heartless, Organization XIII, and Gummi Ships are all trademarks of the game's developer/publisher, in this case S-E.

The Disney copyright isn't specific: it could be that Disney made that website, or the copyright is just there to tell you that Disney does hold stock over most of the game's content, and it would've been a waste of space to spell out all the Disney properties involved.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
No they don't. It would have to specifically say "Characters and program and music and whatever copyright Square-Enix" for that to be true. Developing something just means you made it, not that you own it; you can make something for someone else. There're no "specifics" to copyrights. If it says "Everything but this and this is copyrighted by this company" than that company owns everything but those two things.

And that's identical to the fine print on the back of the box save for the non-intellectual property stuff.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
If you say so. I guess the Square just let Disney have the characters they created explicitly for the game they created, produced, marketed and distributed. You know, so they'd always remember all the fun they had together that summer in Maycombe County while making Kingdom Hearts.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Thank you for taking this Devastlian.

Moving on, I really think S-E will use one of the FF or FFCC characters as their rep. . .but who knows, they might use Chrono so that he can make a come back.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Black/Light said:
Thank you for taking this Devastlian.
Oh, I see how it is...

Black/Light said:
Moving on, I really think S-E will use one of the FF or FFCC characters as their rep. . .but who knows, they might use Chrono so that he can make a come back.
S-E's too sequel/remake happy nowadays to revisit a franchise that never brought home the bacon like FF or DQ does. Besides, the Chrono games, from what little we've played, aren't the kind of games that warrant sequels, so when Chrono Break finally sees the light of day, Crono wouldn't be a main character anyway.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
^
Who knows about Crono. He may or may not return as the protagonist of the next Chrono....

Anyways, I'll be updating with lots of Dragon Quest characters later in June.

I

i8waffles612

Holy crap. VERYYY Good job for a smash noob!! amazing!!!!! very in depth!!!! Nice job!!!

Yeah Sora hopefully he gets in he is so cool, but if hes in he needs a rival.....

Nice job anyways

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
i8waffles612 said:
but if hes in he needs a rival.....
Then so does Snake, Megaman and Sonic. But that isn't going to happen.

Besides, who'd it be? Riku? He lost all his "cool factor" when he showed up with those totally sexy cargo jeans and designer snow jacket.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Next week I will be updating this topic with lots of new characters. Stay tuned. ^_^

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
I would really love to see Crono in this game. He had, in my opinion, one of the best games ever made. I believe he has a bigger following then Geno. Unfortunately Geno has way more representation on these boards.. *Le sigh* I believe a poll on Gamefaqs placed Chrono Trigger 3rd for best game of all time. It only lost to Zelda, and FF.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
JoshuaAmaron said:
Unfortunately Geno has way more representation on these boards.
Like that matters? I myself didn't even remember who Geno was until I started coming here. He's a silly character from a silly game, and frankly, I'd take almost anyone else over him.

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
Like that matters? I myself didn't even remember who Geno was until I started coming here. He's a silly character from a silly game, and frankly, I'd take almost anyone else over him.
I didn't remember either to tell you the truth. I have never played SMRPG. I was too busy playing Chrono Trigger. :-P Anyways, I honestly hope Crono makes it in. I would really like that.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
^^^
As would I. Although I liked Cross better than Trigger...there aren't that many Square reps up for consideration, and it usually boils down to Crono, Sora and Geno. I detest SMRPG, but the other two games I love. Sora has the advantage of appearing on Sakurai's poll, but I guess Crono sort of has seniority...maybe.

Top Bottom