• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official: SSBPD unsupported; source code released.

Scar

#HarveyDent
is there a skype chat for this project or something? i have a lot of product management experience and i'd love to be involved

Scar

#HarveyDent
It's really easy, get on skype and PM me your name and i can start the chat

edit: or post your name here

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I just want to add that having old tournaments is really important because players' ratings need to be accurate both in the past and present. If someone defeats PC Chris in 2006 but the system thinks he was rated 1200 at the time, that's incorrect. Having locals is also really important because if you only have national data for old top players, their ratings won't be as high as they should be.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
Does anyone use the player or tournament search bars at the top? I'm thinking about taking them out.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
I'm not convinced that's a good reason to keep them. I'll probably relegate them to their respective main pages soon.

Anyway, big update to regions just rolled out. Enjoy!

Looks like we something like 700 players tagged already. Holy ****, you guys rock.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Amazing work!

You should add a link on the main page that links to the region list, imo.

And you might want to keep the player finder, I've tried looking up a few names and it came in handy.

Edit : Well the link to the region list has been added, so forget the above suggestion I guess. :p

Juggleguy

Smash Grimer
Premium
How important is it to have pools results saved in terms of player history and such?

At my tournaments we have an odd convention of displaying pools manually on something like a Google Doc, then creating the bracket ourselves back in tio. As a result, it appears that only bracket events happened. Just wondering if I should go through the hassle of officially entering in pool results into tio for old tourneys.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Basically, the more matches the better, regardless of when in the tournament they happened. The Elo rating system doesn't care if the match is in pools of a 10-person local or if it's grand finals of Apex. It only looks at specific matchups and when they occurred chronologically (with a unit of time being defined as a single tournament) So, if you are willing to manually create the pools in tio that would be fantastic.

Also, let's say you leave pools results out of a national. A player who went 0-2 in bracket will have their rating diminished even though they probably won at least 10 sets to get there.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
haha okay i get the point, search bars stay.

@finalcloud that will come in the future. there's a couple other things to get out of the way first, and then i have to think about how best to do them, but it's definitely something i'm thinking about.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Scar: my skype is in my contact info. add me to it if you've already made it. add me regardless; if you didn't make it yet i'll do it.

Mahie

Smash Lord
Would it be possible to add , on a player page, their regional ranking, and their world ranking?

Or, if you want to push it further, Regional -> Country -> Continental -> World ?

That'd be kind of cool.

MT_

Smash Ace
This database is awesome.

I just wanted to ask (I don't know if it's been asked already): sometimes players have identical aliases. For example, in Texas we already have two players named Vash, and from looking at the database there is a player that goes by Vash that attended WGF VI. Is there any way to differentiate between players with identical aliases, or should we just ask some of those Vash(es) to change their names lol.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Armada: 2012 :O

I can see my name is on there now. And that it's been split into stelzig and Stelzig. I prefer it without the capital letter, so please go by that :)

MT_

Smash Ace
Armada: 2012 :O

I can see my name is on there now. And that it's been split into stelzig and Stelzig. I prefer it without the capital letter, so please go by that :)
I think you can help them fix that by going to the incorrect name's profile and then flagging the player's profile as "incorrectly named". It will then prompt you to select the CORRECT name in a drop-down box. I'm not exactly sure what determines whether or not the change will happen (I think the information gets sent to FoxLisk and he finalizes it, or maybe if there are enough flags it will automatically change it) but that should end up with your names merging to stelzig.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Would it be possible to add , on a player page, their regional ranking, and their world ranking?

Or, if you want to push it further, Regional -> Country -> Continental -> World ?

That'd be kind of cool.
This is something we'll be working on, however we will implement a system so that it only shows active players on those types of rankings.

For example, once we processed all the old MLG files and other older tournaments, I'm sure Ken will be 2000+. You'll have the ability to look up his rating and see where he is. However when you pull up a top 100 list, he will not appear on it. It will only show players who've played in a tournament within the last X months. This is the same way the United States Chess Federation does it and it's pretty awesome.

Getting tons of good feedback about this so that's good.

stelzig: You are fixed. Sorry about that, I've been trying to catch those. You're entered like 50% of the time without a cap and 50% of the time with a cap.

MT_: If they want to change their tags that's a good solution. The other option is something you'll notice where there is two players with the same tag and one has an indicator on it, like -wc or something if they're a west coast player. It's most likely a temporary solution until we can figure out a better way to do it.

Beat: Too true, especially Armada. 191 wins and only ONE LOSS. That's insane. Although I do suspect his rating to drop a little bit once Pound 4, Pound 5, and Genesis are uploaded. Which they should be pretty soon.

Kal

Smash Champion
Would you guys be willing to post what distribution model and K-value you are using to calculate the ELO? I'm just curious.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Please form some sort of communication tool for people working on the project. A facebook page, a skype chat, whatever.

I'm WC & I work late so I feel like I'll only be available at odd hours. Plus I'm not in MBR so thats not really an option.

This is the best thing the melee community has done in a long, long time.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm also very glad to see the reception to this is positive. I had suggested that we start something similar over here a while back, and the reception was mostly negative. In the future, I should try and keep in mind that Texas is fubar.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Would you guys be willing to post what distribution model and K-value you are using to calculate the ELO? I'm just curious.
We use the same formula that USCF uses, and can been seen here.

Kal: I know what you mean. We were talking about using Elo previously and it got trolled pretty hard. Then we moved it to the backroom and it kind of died out. Then FoxLisk came out of nowhere and pretty much did everything we wanted without even being part of the original project. He's a great programer. Our community couldn't be lucker to have him.

Kal

Smash Champion
USCF uses a logistical distribution, which they think more accurately represents the results of players in Chess (in particular, the normal distribution did a poor job of predicting the results of lower ranked players). Anyway, I think the logistical distribution is better, and I'm glad to see that this website is being executed so well.

An interesting addition would be to use Head to Head aspect to find the probability of certain outcomes in a match based on ELO. This section of the Wikipedia page you linked can be used to do such a thing.

Paju

Smash Journeyman
Neutroni is legit. I haven't seen much from Peki though.
Peki is the all time best player in Finland. He is currently ranked as the best Finnish player and had a hot streak for being the #1 in Finnish PR for almost three years, until Neutroni ended the streak (though only for one PR). He can however lose his spot when the next PR comes out (after the next big tournament).

And yeah ofc Peki and Neutroni, nor Calle W and IVP, don't belong to the top 10. Finland and Sweden just happens to have more data uploaded than pretty much any other country atm which is the reason they are on the list (and after FoxLisk will process the tournaments in orded of the tournament date and not the date of upload, they won't probably be on the list anymore).

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
Hey yo, small thing but I'm entered as superkawaiidesumoechan on the Winter gamefest results. Not sure how the whole "entered as a different name" thing is sorted out but figured I'd say cuz that's literally the only tournament I didn't enter as stabbedbya_____

also because the name superkawaiidesumoechan is ridiculous

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
The ratings calculation is currently pure elo, using the 32 -> 24 -> 16 K value model as described in wikipedia. some day i will probably switch it over to using glicko ratings or something else considered more accurate.

CrimsonBlur - Scar's getting a skype chat set up, talk to him about it

I think other questions have been answered appropriately.

Also I'm re-running the ratings calculation now.

Top Bottom